Start by marking “The Holly Joliday (Judy Moody & Stink)” as Want to Read:
The Holly Joliday (Judy Moody & Stink)

The Holly Joliday (Judy Moody & Stink #1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  1,389 ratings  ·  74 reviews
Judy Moody is making a list and checking it twice, but all her brother, Stink, wants this year is snow. It hasn't snowed on Christmas in Virginia in more than a hundred years, however, so what are the chances that that will change? Enter the new mailman, Mr. Jack Frost, who not only looks like a jolly old elf but also seems to know a lot about weather patterns, has a fondn ...more
Published October 11th 2011 by Candlewick Press (MA) (first published September 11th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Holly Joliday, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Holly Joliday

midnightfaerie
Nothing mind bending but a lot of fun and my 6 yr old loved it and requested me to find as many as I could at the library. As long as he's reading and wanting to read, I'm happy.
Kaethe
All Stink wants for Christmas is snow. Unfortunately, Stink lives in Virginia, and while there is sometimes snow at Christmas, the odds are against it. Judy knows this, and Judy is a little worried on Stink's behalf. As we go though the last few days before Christmas, we meet a mailman named Jack Frost (?!), make it through the school Holiday Festival, and get right up to Christmas Eve, when Judy decides to make Stink's wish come true.

A cute story about to create magic for the ones we love. I'm
Joel
This book was about Stink wanting snow for Christmas but it hadn't snowed there in more than 100 years. The setting was Virginia. This book was funny. The best part was when Stink got his Christmas wish. The wish was snow. Here are three interesting words I found in this book: dendrite, yule, and stellar. I would tell my friends to read this book.
Pam Mcmillan
My daughter & I read this as a book for her reading fair project we loved it. It was a fun book. Stink has placed a bet with Judy that it will snow by midnight for Christmas. Whoever loses the bet has to eat the terrible fruitcake that Grandma Lou makes and sends to the family for the Christmas holidays. Judy and Stink are determined to stay up to see who wins the bet. Their mom and dad let them sleep in their sleeping bags in the livingroom, unfortunaley Stink falls asleep. However, Judy st ...more
Mary
Feb 09, 2010 Mary rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mary by: NYRA 2011 nominee
It was a nice story about family and giving. I don't think it is NYRA material.
Judy Moody is making a list and checking it twice, but all her brother, Stink, wants this year is snow. It hasn’t snowed on Christmas in Virginia in more than a hundred years, however, so what are the chances that that will change? Enter the new mailman, Mr. Jack Frost, who not only looks like a jolly old elf but also seems to know a lot about weather patterns, has a fondness for the cold, and works looooooong hours d
Michelle. D.
I loved the all Judy Moody books when I was kid! They were always so adventurous and interesting. Megan really knows hot to write books for kids withour making them too complicated or too easy. The illustrations are really good to. When I was a kid, I would always try to draw and recreate the pictures. I really love Judy's cat, Mouse?,. It's just that he's? always there randomly.Stink was amazing character too. Smart and funny. I find it hilarious that a parent would name there kid Stink. I love ...more
Steven R. McEvoy
There are two cross-over books that are both Stink & Judy Moody books, this one and Judy Moody and Stink: The Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Treasure Hunt. Both are great reads as are the 20 odd other books between the two series. But what I like most about the cross-over books and especially this one, is that we see a very different side of Judy. Yes, she is an older sister and likes to antagonize her younger brother, but she is also an older sister who deeply cares for her brother and in the end does ...more
Nancy
I listened to this book on my MP3 player with Barbara Rosenblat as the narrator. I can almost stand some of her audiobooks, but this one was terrible. Barbara doesn't know how to sound like a child. When she tries to sing in a child's voice, it's just an awful noise that comes out. I have heard a lot of children sing, and none of them sings as badly as Barbara sounds. When she speaks in Stinky's voice, it just doesn't work.

I have read some of the reviews of the book, and I think I would be deli
Mr
Amy Brantner, 85 pages. This book is a short and funny book. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to read a Christmas book that is short and good. It is about a girl named Judy Moody, her brother named Stink, and their family. Judy has a huge list of presents that she wants for Christmas. But Stink only wants one... SNOW! Judy Moody says that it hasn't snowed there in like "a million years!" But when a mailman named jack Frost comes, he says that he might be able to deliver snow this year! D ...more
Sssmith14
i love this book because it is funny because she thought
it was not going to snow.
Jim Gibson
I really like the Stink and Megan books, even though I'm in my 60's, and my kids are now adults. Since I'm working on a couple of kid's books myself, I'm reading widely in an attempt to learn as much as I can about the genre, and these strike me as very well-done.

The stories are good, funny, engaging.

The illustrations are just perfect---like a textbook illustration of how it should be done.

So, honestly, I'm reading the books not as a kid or parent (since my kids are adults now), but as a self
Miriam
I love all her books. They've really cute and fun to read.
Michelle
I read this with my son, the very reluctant reader, and it kept his attention, which is a big thing :) A lovely little story and I think the Stink series will be a good one to have in mind with young male readers who can't find something good to read.
babyhippoface
As Judy Moody and her little brother Stink gear up for the holidays, Stink has only one Christmas wish: snow. With a creative sister like Judy and a little help from new mailman Jack Frost, he just might get his unlikely wish. This title has what it takes to attract readers: established, popular characters, frequent full-color illustrations, and a cover that positively sparkles in the light. This one is guaranteed to stir up "flurries" of interest!
Sherry
Moody and Stink's "The Holly Joliday" is a lighthearted Christmas tale highlighting faith and hope. Stink meets the new mailman, Jack Frost, and believes in Frost's promise that Christmas will bring snow! The typical Christmas list making and holiday play are enlivened with a Hawaiian twist and adorable color illustrations throughout, making this novel an engaging must-read for Judy Moody and Stink fans.
Adiva Siddeky
Hey, guy's want to hear an awesome review? Then read this rocking review. Okay let's get started. So It's the winter or Christmas. Judy is writing all the things she want on a roll of toilet paper. For stink, he wants snow. Judy thinks that it will never snow.This was an awesome book to read. This book is my favorite. As I was saying there was a new mailman named Mr. Jack Frost. Judy doesn't believe that at all.
Julie
I thought this was a great holiday book. My dad was on a business trip and saw this book on display and thought it was for free (he was at a library conference with lots of free books). He knew how much I liked Judy Moody and picked it up for me, but then found out that it was just to look at and was not yet published. He took it back, but they said that he could keep it. It was so cool.
Seikaiha
I love this one. Actually I got this book as well as several titles of Judy Moody series last summer for free at Amazon.com. There was a, sort of, one-day free kindle book sale. I downloaded and downloaded many famous and popular titles so shamelessly almost all the day. And the books by Megan McDonald were good and fun enough for me to start reading the whole Judy Moody books.
Moe
This book was very funny because the Christmas list was two toilet rolls of paper long of things Judy wanted. They lived in California so they never got any snow and all Stink wanted was snow. You'll have to find out the rest of what happened. My favorite part was when the parrot interupted and sang five days of Christmas in Hawaii.
Anna
I read this with a group of low sixth graders and I thought it was super cute. They seemed to enjoy it too. I'm a huge fan of Stink (and a so-so fan of Judy, who I think can be very annoying) and I've liked these Judy & Stink combo books. I especially liked this one because the pictures were in color and it really suited the story.
Christen
This is a fun read for boys and girls who are fond of Judy and her brother Stink! Lots of kids will identify with Stink's desire for a white Christmas, while others will agree with Judy - what's wrong with having a tropical holiday? This humorous holiday read is a surefire win.
Danny
Christmas came!
Stink met new postman, Jack Frost. And he asked Jack for snow. But Judy said there's no way to snow in Virginia.
But stink wishes snow. And Stink wears snow flake instead of mouse costume in he's class theater.(Because he want snow of course.)
Vicki
Tjis book was recommended to me by a 3rd grader. It was a quick enjoyable read about Judy Moody and brother Stink. All Stink wants for Christmas Day is snow. But since when does it snow in Virginia near Christmas? Thanks to Clara I liked this cute book.
Gideon
Christmas was coming and Stink just wanted snow. They lived in Virginia where it hadn't snowed in ten years. Stink wanted to have snowball fights, make snow forts and go sledding. On Christmas eve it snowed! They did everything they wanted to do.
Acton
I wish you could give a book six stars. This one deserves it! This book is about a boy who thinks his mailman is Jack Frost. There was no snow where he lived. His mailman correctly predicted that there would be snow on the weekend.
Caren
I enjoyed this book a lot. Judy Moody is one of the reason's my 9 year old reads! Judy is a funny girl who gets into all sorts of situations. Stink is her brother. The way these two get ready for a Christmas play is hysterical.
Samantha snyder
This book was great. I couldn't put it down. This book was mainly about a snowy day or it's coming and Judy get ready for it but Stink is ruining all the fun in it. Stink is really looking forward to Santa clause! (Stink is her brother)
Mary
One of my daughters brought this book home and she had to write some things down from the book. To help her with the work, I also read the book to direct her where to find answers to her questions.
FUNNY?! 2 5 Jul 17, 2012 07:28AM
  • Ivy and Bean Break the Fossil Record (Ivy and Bean, #3)
  • The Night Before the Night Before Christmas
  • The Fran with Four Brains (Franny K. Stein, Mad Scientist, #6)
  • Just Grace (Just Grace, #1)
  • Stanley's Christmas Adventure (Flat Stanley, #5)
  • Clementine's Letter (Clementine, #3)
  • Mercy Watson: Princess in Disguise (Mercy Watson #4)
  • You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Scary Tales to Read Together
  • The Magician's Boy
  • Junie B., First Grader: Jingle Bells, Batman Smells! (P.S. So Does May.) (Junie B. Jones, #25)
  • Remembering Mrs. Rossi
  • Smarter than Squirrels (Down Girl and Sit)
  • Toy Dance Party: Being the Further Adventures of a Bossyboots Stingray, a Courageous Buffalo, and a Hopeful Round Someone Called Plastic
  • Bad Kitty School Daze
  • Enemy Spy (Shredderman, #4)
  • Gooney the Fabulous
  • Honestly, Mallory! (Mallory McDonald, #8)
  • Never Swim in Applesauce (Roscoe Riley Rules, #4)
"Sometimes I think I am Judy Moody," says Megan McDonald, author of the Judy Moody series, the Stink series, and THE SISTERS CLUB. "I'm certainly moody, like she is. Judy has a strong voice and always speaks up for herself. I like that."

For Megan McDonald, being able to speak up for herself wasn't always easy. She grew up as the youngest of five sisters in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Her father, an
More about Megan McDonald...

Judy Moody & Stink (4 books)
  • The Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Treasure Hunt (Judy Moody & Stink, #2)
  • Judy Moody and Stink: The Big Bad Blackout
  • Judy Moody and Stink: The Wishbone Wish
Judy Moody (Judy Moody, # 1) Stink: The Incredible Shrinking Kid (Stink, #1) Judy Moody Gets Famous! (Judy Moody, #2) Judy Moody Saves The World! (Judy Moody, #3) Judy Moody, M.D.: The Doctor is In! (Judy Moody #5)