The 27-Ingredient Chili Con Carne Murders (A Eugenia Potter Mystery #4)

The 27-Ingredient Chili Con Carne Murders (Eugenia Potter #4)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  367 ratings  ·  29 reviews
The "culinary queen of crime" returns in a delectable novel of food and foul play. Much-loved chef and amateur sleuth Eugenia Potter finds herself mixed up in murder in The 27-Ingredient Chili con Carne Murders, a book that marks the exciting collaboration of two mistresses of mystery, Nancy Pickard and Virginia Rich.

When Eugenia Potter receives an urgent phone call from...more
Published October 5th 2011 by Dell (first published 1992)

April Hochstrasser
This author is up and down. There are some books I really like and others, such as this one, where I kept skipping over descriptions and fluff to get to the real story. It was really a much shorter story, stretched to be a novel. I wanted to get to the "who dunnit?" part and she added less interesting details that did not add to the forward action of the book. If there had been a sub plot it would have been better. In the end, she didn't even answer the only very thin sub plot question about who...more
Jarakelian
I rated this 4 because it was one of my Grandma's books that I took after she passed away. It has her initials in it and the whole time I was reading it, I pictured her reading it. Couldn't help but feel somehow connected to her.
Jean Ahart
Very good book!

Very good book!

I loved that this book kept me guessing. A very well written book with lovable characters. I will definitely be reading more of these.
Josephine
Somehow I can't take a book seriously when it includes a recipe for chili, enough to serve 20 people, which has only 2-4 tablespoons of chili powder and 2 garlic cloves. (Though otherwise the recipe wouldn't have been too bad, that's getting down to homeopathic levels of spicing.

I read two of the first three in this series, which were written by the original author, and they weren't too bad. I may search out the first, but I'll leave the ones by Pickard strictly alone. Perhaps I wouldn't have mi...more
Melissa
A little slow going to start but not bad overall. The atmosphere at the beginning of the book is a little maudlin as the main characters seems to keep agonizing over the friends and family she's lost and worrying about her increasing age. Things pick up, ironically, as the body count rises and our amateur sleuth, Eugenia Potter, starts to focus more on figuring it out. Eugenia is also an amateur chef, and the book also includes a handful of featured recipes in the back, a couple of which I might...more
Marian
I first read this about 20 years ago, when it first came out. Although I enjoyed it more then, it is still a well-written mystery with well-rounded characters, a good sense of place, etc. I like Eugenia Potter, but sometimes she reminds me of Mrs. Pollifax--not necessarily a bad thing, I suppose.

It was funny that a couple of plot points were based on the fact that the telephone service was of the "party line" variety. I wonder if modern readers will know what that is? Even in the novel it was r...more
Jill
Quite a good book, actually. I always liked the main character and this time she didn't really do much to figure out the answer to a series of grisly murders and the kidnapping of a family friend. This shows her very intuitive nature. She also has an apparent beau, which is charming for the storyline. I did wish that the story could have stayed put in Maine but it turned out to be fun in the Southwest too! I know that the author died while writing this book but you really can't tell where her wr...more
Rachel
The fourth book in the Eugenia Potter series continued by Nancy Pickard with notes left by Virginia Rich. I admit I haven't read the other books in the series and only picked this up because Nancy Pickard wrote it. Eugenia Potter owns a ranch in Arizona. She's at her house in Boston when her ranch manager Ricardo Ortega calls to urgently have her return to the ranch though he won't say why. By the time she arrives in Arizona Ricardo and his granddaughter Linda have disappeared. A decent cozy mys...more
Debra
Nancy Pickard continues the Eugenia Potter mystery series begun by Virginia Rich in this book, the best of the series I've read. Set on Eugenia's Arizona ranch, the entire valley pulls together to find her missing ranch manager, Ricardo, and his granddaughter Linda. As the bodies pile up, Eugenia sets out to discover what mysterious thing Ricardo had discovered, which set this chain of events in motion.
Candace
It's been a while since I read this, but I remember it to be a good mystery. It led me back to Virginia Rich. Must say, I prefer Nancy Pickard's writing style.
I do, however, love the chili recipe and the Albondigas soup recipe. They are now family standards.
Dreamy
This is the first Eugenia Potter mystery I read and It led me to the rest of the series and Nancy Pickard &Virginia Rich. I think this the best one of the series - the main character is well drawn, the setting is interesting and the solution is not obvious.

Nancyk
This book started out slow but quickly picked up speed, from then on it was hard to put down. The added romance was a great touch and I hope to see more of that in the next 2 books. As far as the mystery goes-I was truley surprised at the end. a great book.
Susan Hirtz
Everything I said about the Blue Corn Murders is also true of this novel, but even better. This is a page-turner of a fun, light read. If your troubles have you feeling down, this is a good choice for entertainment. So much better than TV!
Keith Clark
Not the best murder mystery I've read, but I'll probably read the others in the series. The recipes are entertaining how they're worked into the story. I'd like to try the chili recipe minus the mushrooms.
Richard
Started out slow but then picked up in the middle. I liked the romance in the middle. But then it was wrapped up way to quickly and the readers didn't get the clues explained to them.
Kimberly
Delightful cozy mystery. Pickard finishes up a manuscript by Virginia Rich to finish it. Pickard stays faithful to Rich's style. The chile recipe that's included is delicious.
Julie H.
Eugenia Potter, maker of the 27-ingredient chili, has to solve the mystery to clear her good name. A pretty solid mystery.
Kerry
Fun, easy to read book with no huge surprises, but a few twists and turns - enough to keep things interesting!
Tiona
I find the Euginia Potter mysteries good. However, other books by Nancy Pickard are a little harsh.
Deb
This is not as bad as The Double-Jack Murders or Harrowing Hats. That is the only positive I can find.
Cindy
Aug 17, 2008 Cindy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the culinary cozy
Shelves: mysteries, cookbooks
A fun series that is out of print now. I never tried any of the recipes. Eugenia is a very likeable sleuth.
Donna
I shall miss Virginia Rich, but Nancy Pickard was certainly a great choice to finish the legacy.
Gail
I started this book at least 3 years ago and have never finished it....maybe i will soon!
Lori Baldi
Loved this book. Too good for a mystery. Try to find another like this!
Tracy
Cozy mystery. Spunky widow. Fluff with a side of sagebrush.
Wendroz
A fun mystery with some great recipes, entertaining
Barbara Hockman
Good read. Lots of characters but easy to keep separate.
Marlene
Good ending. A little slow in spots.
Cws
M Pic
  • The Cooking School Murders (Eugenia Potter, #1)
  • A Catered Murder (A Mystery with Recipes, #1)
  • The Body in the Big Apple (Faith Fairchild, #10)
  • Auntie Mayhem (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #9)
  • Gruel and Unusual Punishment (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #10)
  • Deadly Currents (An RM Outdoor Adventures Mystery, #1)
  • Death by Rhubarb  (Heaven Lee Culinary Mystery, Book 1)
  • Vineyard Chill (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #19)
  • Crime Brûlée (A Carolyn Blue Culinary Mystery #1)
  • Sticks & Scones (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery #10)
  • Something's Cooking (Angie Amalfi, #1)
(from Wikipedia)

Nancy Pickard (born 1945) is a US crime novelist. She has won five Macavity Awards, four Agatha Awards, an Anthony Award, and a Shamus Award. She is the only author to win all four awards. She also served on the board of directors of the Mystery Writers of America. She received a degree in journalism from the University of Missouri in Columbia, Missouri and began writing at age 35....more
More about Nancy Pickard...
The Scent of Rain and Lightning The Virgin of Small Plains But I Wouldn't Want to Die There (Jenny Cain, #8) The Whole Truth (Marie Lightfoot, #1) Generous Death (Jenny Cain, #1)