Start by marking “The Honor Due a King (The Bruce Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Honor Due a King (The Bruce Trilogy, #3)

The Honor Due a King (The Bruce Trilogy #3)

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  353 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
(THE BRUCE TRILOGY: BOOK III)

In the dawn of a kingdom, loyalties and lies collide.

The truth will change England and Scotland forever.

In the triumphant aftermath of Bannockburn, Robert the Bruce faces unfamiliar battles. His wife Elizabeth, held captive in England for eight long years, has finally returned home to Scotland. With his marriage in ruin and hopes for an heir q
Published (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Honor Due a King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Honor Due a King

Rebecca
Oct 06, 2011 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
I became deeply involved with the protagonists of this trilogy in the course of reading the first and second books: The Crown in the Heather and Worth Dying For. Each character, from Robert the Bruce to his arch enemy, Edward the Second, began as strangers to me but with each sentence and chapter I read, with each book I opened, they were polished, fleshed out and deepened until I could almost see them before me, see their expressions as I dipped into their hearts and minds. Yes, I fell a little ...more
Nicole Gerrand
Nov 03, 2011 Nicole Gerrand rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is as good or even better than the preceding two book in this trilogy. Everything about the lives of Robert the Bruce and James Douglas, the politics, the battles, the romance and their families is well written in the right details The poetic license with historical facts is acceptable and the story is told with a passion and depth of belief that you can imagine the character themselves having
Carol
Jan 30, 2012 Carol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I would go more 2.5.

I really like that it changes perspectives with the chapters so that the reader gets the full picture of what is going on, and this is a time period I normally enjoy reading.

While I see the potential in the characters, I did not feel like I really attached to any of them. I started really liking Majorie, (view spoiler) Maybe this would have been improved if I had read the first two books in the series.

I felt like some part
Allison  Macias
Dec 01, 2011 Allison Macias rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Honor Due a King is the final bittersweet installment of N Gemini Sasson's The Bruce Trilogy. After defeating England, Scotland is finally free. Robert is now able to be the King he dreamed of being. With his family returned to his side, he begins to rebuild Scotland. But there are problems plaguing Robert that can't be solved on a battlefield. Elizabeth shirks from Robert, and Marjorie is in love with someone other than her betrothed. Will the Scottish Crown ever be rid of its problems?
As
Lisa
Jun 20, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
Poof! Like that, the little sympathy I may have had for Edward II while reading book 2 of this trilogy, it evaporated instantly while reading The Honor Due a King. The difference between King Edward II and Robert the Bruce King of Scotland is vast. Edward II felt that he never got the respect and honor due a king. "I, who have done nothing wrong but be something less than my sire." Disinterested, unable to rule his kingdom wisely, Edward II never earned the honor due a king.

Robert the Bruce, on
Cindy
Jun 04, 2015 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I simply could not put this book down! Knowing what was going to happen in the end made it hard, but it was a super book! This is the final chapter of Sasson's trilogy about Robert the Bruce, James Douglas, and King Edward II of England. Telling if from 3 different characters' point-of-view must have been very difficult for the writer, but she did an excellent job. I even felt sorry for King Edward and how he was treated in the end, even though he did terrible things to the Scotland. I fully int ...more
May
Jan 29, 2014 May rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this trilogy well enough. As a Scot, I am fascinated with Robert The Bruce. The author's choice to switch back and forth between Robert the Bruce, James Campbell and Edward II was interesting and helped keep the Reader informed of what was going on personally and politically at the same time with each character.

This was a comfortable read, perfect for an snowy afternoon, but not as well researched as some... Nigel Trantor, Elizabeth Chadwick, Philippa Gregory come to mind.

Bob Davidson
Aug 12, 2015 Bob Davidson rated it it was amazing
Good historical fiction.

The trilogy is a good read for historical fiction readers. The author does a great job switching between the characters and maintaining your attention.
Susana
Oct 18, 2015 Susana rated it really liked it
The story of a great man Robert the Bruce, and another one, grown on his shadow James Douglas. Loved this book. The trilogy was very interesting and light to read.
Shelly
Mar 04, 2014 Shelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read all three of these books! They are very good!
tara
Ah, 4.5 stars. Very well written. Well-defined and vibrant writing — considering how murky historical fiction literature can be when dealing with so many characters, titles, countries, wars, and OMG…the tangled blood relations that are beyond what we would consider a complicated family tree these days.
If it wasn't for another author, Sharon Penman, being the master storyteller of this genre, I would easily have rated it 5 stars.

(This is the third and last book of the "The Bruce Trilogy.")
Jackie Stanton
Mar 03, 2012 Jackie Stanton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans
I was so sorry to finish this, the third of the Robert the Bruce series. It was as excellent as the previous two novels. Sasson exhibits great skill in making history come to life, from horrendously graphic battle scenes to the most tender love scenes. Her characters are rich and believable. I highly recommend this series about three fascinating and very different men: Robert the Bruce, James Douglas, and Edward II of England.
Marilyn
This is #3 is Sasson's trilogy about Robert the Bruce. It is excellent. I got so wrapped up in the characters. Unfortunately, I got confused and read this book before reading #2 in the trilogy. Lesson: when downloading a whole series to a Kindle, download #3 first, then #2, etc. That way, on the Home Page, they will be listed in their proper order, #1, #2, #3, etc.
Steven
May 21, 2012 Steven rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice wrapping up of the trilogy. Not quite as compelling for me as the first two books, but Sasson tied up all the loose ends. This is a more feminine book than the first two, focusing on the loves of James Douglas while the cockpit of kingdoms serves as a background rather than the main plot.
♫Angielee♫
Dec 16, 2013 ♫Angielee♫ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A well written trilogy about Robert the Bruce and those around him during his fight for the Scotland crown and his reign as King. Sasson does a wonderful job of building these fascinating people and you really feel as though you know them.
Brenda
May 28, 2013 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first thought Book 1 was the best, but this one topped it. I so enjoyed this and am glad I tried this author. I recommend reading all three. Although each one could be read on its own, the whole story unfolds in sequence.
Cheryl
Oct 26, 2012 Cheryl rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-edition
This was such a great series I hate for it to end. This series combined with the two-part series on Isabella and Simon de Montfort make a wonderful 5 book package.. I cannot wait to read more from this author.
Vicki
Nov 28, 2011 Vicki rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the development and contrast of these three men. although fiction, I learned a lot about Robert the Bruce, his enemies, his allies and their battle for Scotlands freedom.
Amy
Jan 06, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nook, n-gemeni-sasson
I enjoyed this thrid book as much as I enjoyed the first two in this trilogy. The characters draw you in and keep you turning pages. Worth your time.
Mar 07, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite of the trilogy, and also probably the most historically inaccurate, though not terribly so.
Anna
Dec 02, 2011 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this trilogy! I already miss the characters.
Cacki
Jul 12, 2012 Cacki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dragged at the end....but a good read
K
K marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Charlsey Fawkes
Charlsey Fawkes rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Jim Lusby
Jim Lusby rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Ken Leslie
Ken Leslie rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2016
Peter O Donnell
Peter O Donnell rated it it was ok
Jun 20, 2016
Elyse Maltz
Elyse Maltz rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
michaela barrettt
michaela barrettt rated it it was amazing
Jun 15, 2016
  • A Kingdom's Cost (The Douglas Trilogy, #1)
  • The Bruce Trilogy: The Steps to the Empty Throne / The Path of the Hero King / The Price of the King's Peace (Robert the Bruce, #1-3)
  • The King's Favourite Son (John Plantagenet Trilogy, #1)
  • The Rose of York: Crown of Destiny (The Rose of York Trilogy, #2)
  • The Winter Mantle
  • Isabel the Fair
  • I Serve: A Novel of the Black Prince
  • Crown in Candlelight
  • Beloved Enemy: The Passions of Eleanor of Aquitaine
  • The Lion of Justice (Norman Trilogy, #2)
  • The Reckoning  (Welsh Princes, #3)
  • Wife to the Bastard
  • Gisborne: Book of Pawns (The Gisborne Saga, #1)
  • Rebellion
  • Tulagi Hotel
  • The de Lacy Inheritance
  • Edward III
Former teacher and track coach. Runner, gardener, dog lover and sometimes farmer. Author of medieval historical fiction: The Crown in the Heather (The Bruce Trilogy: Book I), Worth Dying For (The Bruce Trilogy: Book II) and Isabeau, A Novel of Queen Isabella and Sir Roger Mortimer.
More about N. Gemini Sasson...

The Bruce Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Crown in the Heather (The Bruce Trilogy, #1)
  • Worth Dying For (The Bruce Trilogy, #2)