Start by marking “The Honor Due a King (The Bruce Trilogy, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Honor Due a King (The Bruce Trilogy, #3)

The Honor Due a King (The Bruce Trilogy #3)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  19 reviews
(THE BRUCE TRILOGY: BOOK III)

In the dawn of a kingdom, loyalties and lies collide.

The truth will change England and Scotland forever.

In the triumphant aftermath of Bannockburn, Robert the Bruce faces unfamiliar battles. His wife Elizabeth, held captive in England for eight long years, has finally returned home to Scotland. With his marriage in ruin and hopes for an heir q
Published (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Honor Due a King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Honor Due a King

Rebecca
I became deeply involved with the protagonists of this trilogy in the course of reading the first and second books: The Crown in the Heather and Worth Dying For. Each character, from Robert the Bruce to his arch enemy, Edward the Second, began as strangers to me but with each sentence and chapter I read, with each book I opened, they were polished, fleshed out and deepened until I could almost see them before me, see their expressions as I dipped into their hearts and minds. Yes, I fell a little ...more
Nicole Gerrand
This is as good or even better than the preceding two book in this trilogy. Everything about the lives of Robert the Bruce and James Douglas, the politics, the battles, the romance and their families is well written in the right details The poetic license with historical facts is acceptable and the story is told with a passion and depth of belief that you can imagine the character themselves having
Carol
I would go more 2.5.

I really like that it changes perspectives with the chapters so that the reader gets the full picture of what is going on, and this is a time period I normally enjoy reading.

While I see the potential in the characters, I did not feel like I really attached to any of them. I started really liking Majorie, (view spoiler) Maybe this would have been improved if I had read the first two books in the series.

I felt like some part
Allison  Macias
The Honor Due a King is the final bittersweet installment of N Gemini Sasson's The Bruce Trilogy. After defeating England, Scotland is finally free. Robert is now able to be the King he dreamed of being. With his family returned to his side, he begins to rebuild Scotland. But there are problems plaguing Robert that can't be solved on a battlefield. Elizabeth shirks from Robert, and Marjorie is in love with someone other than her betrothed. Will the Scottish Crown ever be rid of its problems?
As
Lisa
Poof! Like that, the little sympathy I may have had for Edward II while reading book 2 of this trilogy, it evaporated instantly while reading The Honor Due a King. The difference between King Edward II and Robert the Bruce King of Scotland is vast. Edward II felt that he never got the respect and honor due a king. "I, who have done nothing wrong but be something less than my sire." Disinterested, unable to rule his kingdom wisely, Edward II never earned the honor due a king.

Robert the Bruce, on
May
I enjoyed this trilogy well enough. As a Scot, I am fascinated with Robert The Bruce. The author's choice to switch back and forth between Robert the Bruce, James Campbell and Edward II was interesting and helped keep the Reader informed of what was going on personally and politically at the same time with each character.

This was a comfortable read, perfect for an snowy afternoon, but not as well researched as some... Nigel Trantor, Elizabeth Chadwick, Philippa Gregory come to mind.

Shelly
Read all three of these books! They are very good!
tara
Ah, 4.5 stars. Very well written. Well-defined and vibrant writing — considering how murky historical fiction literature can be when dealing with so many characters, titles, countries, wars, and OMG…the tangled blood relations that are beyond what we would consider a complicated family tree these days.
If it wasn't for another author, Sharon Penman, being the master storyteller of this genre, I would easily have rated it 5 stars.

(This is the third and last book of the "The Bruce Trilogy.")
Jackie Stanton
Mar 03, 2012 Jackie Stanton rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: historical fiction fans
I was so sorry to finish this, the third of the Robert the Bruce series. It was as excellent as the previous two novels. Sasson exhibits great skill in making history come to life, from horrendously graphic battle scenes to the most tender love scenes. Her characters are rich and believable. I highly recommend this series about three fascinating and very different men: Robert the Bruce, James Douglas, and Edward II of England.
Marilyn
This is #3 is Sasson's trilogy about Robert the Bruce. It is excellent. I got so wrapped up in the characters. Unfortunately, I got confused and read this book before reading #2 in the trilogy. Lesson: when downloading a whole series to a Kindle, download #3 first, then #2, etc. That way, on the Home Page, they will be listed in their proper order, #1, #2, #3, etc.
Steven
A nice wrapping up of the trilogy. Not quite as compelling for me as the first two books, but Sasson tied up all the loose ends. This is a more feminine book than the first two, focusing on the loves of James Douglas while the cockpit of kingdoms serves as a background rather than the main plot.
♫Angielee♫

A well written trilogy about Robert the Bruce and those around him during his fight for the Scotland crown and his reign as King. Sasson does a wonderful job of building these fascinating people and you really feel as though you know them.
Brenda
I first thought Book 1 was the best, but this one topped it. I so enjoyed this and am glad I tried this author. I recommend reading all three. Although each one could be read on its own, the whole story unfolds in sequence.
Cheryl
This was such a great series I hate for it to end. This series combined with the two-part series on Isabella and Simon de Montfort make a wonderful 5 book package.. I cannot wait to read more from this author.
Vicki
I really enjoyed the development and contrast of these three men. although fiction, I learned a lot about Robert the Bruce, his enemies, his allies and their battle for Scotlands freedom.
Amy
I enjoyed this thrid book as much as I enjoyed the first two in this trilogy. The characters draw you in and keep you turning pages. Worth your time.
My favorite of the trilogy, and also probably the most historically inaccurate, though not terribly so.
Anna
Loved this trilogy! I already miss the characters.
Cacki
Dragged at the end....but a good read
Tabitha Harris
Tabitha Harris marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2015
Jeanne Pope
Jeanne Pope marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Aimee Frizzell
Aimee Frizzell marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Cathy
Cathy is currently reading it
Apr 13, 2015
  • The Bruce Trilogy: Steps to the Empty Throne, Path of the Hero King & Price of the King's Peace
  • A Kingdom's Cost (The Douglas Trilogy, #1)
  • I Serve: A Novel of the Black Prince
  • To Defy a King (William Marshal #5)
  • The People's Queen
  • Crown in Candlelight
  • Wife to the Bastard
  • Hammer of the Scots (Plantagenet Saga, #7)
  • Hugh and Bess: A Love Story
  • Bending the Boyne: A Novel of Ancient Ireland
  • Port of Errors (Born of Tyranny #1)
  • The Rose of York: Crown of Destiny (The Rose of York Trilogy, #2)
  • The Fatal Crown
  • Falls the Shadow  (Welsh Princes, #2)
  • Wild Wind (Perigueux Family #2)
  • Queen of Bedlam
  • Tulagi Hotel
  • Buried Pasts
Former teacher and track coach. Runner, gardener, dog lover and sometimes farmer. Author of medieval historical fiction: The Crown in the Heather (The Bruce Trilogy: Book I), Worth Dying For (The Bruce Trilogy: Book II) and Isabeau, A Novel of Queen Isabella and Sir Roger Mortimer.
More about N. Gemini Sasson...

The Bruce Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Crown in the Heather (The Bruce Trilogy, #1)
  • Worth Dying For (The Bruce Trilogy, #2)
The Crown in the Heather (The Bruce Trilogy, #1) Isabeau: A Novel of Queen Isabella and Sir Roger Mortimer (The Isabella Books, #1) Worth Dying For (The Bruce Trilogy, #2) Uneasy Lies the Crown, A Novel of Owain Glyndwr The King Must Die (The Isabella Books, #2)