Borealis

Borealis

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  96 ratings  ·  22 reviews

On a routine crabbing expedition in the Bering Sea, Charlie Mears and the rest of the men aboard the trawler Borealis discover something unbelievable: a young woman running naked along the ridge of a passing iceberg. The men rescue her and bring her aboard the boat. But they will soon learn her horrible secret. By the time they find out why she was alone on the ice—and wha

Published October 4th 2011 by Samhain Publishing Ltd. (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Borealis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Borealis

Lou
Malfi immerses you in a cold surroundings, with a person with strange abilities. A group of men on a fishing boat at sea spot a young stranded naked girl in artic conditions stranded on ice.
What is she doing in the middle of nowhere?
Where is she from?
Most people when they see a stranded person and naked would not turn their cheek and not help them to safety, they had really had no reason to not help. When see is rescued and onboard the vessel all things seem to deteriorate and go wrong starting...more
Bandit
Novellas, as I am quickly discovering, are a terrific format for horror. More satisfying than a short story, easier to get through in one sitting than a novel. Borealis was solid quick read from one of my new favorite authors (thanks for the loan, Kim). Malfi is not only a good horror writer, he's a good writer. His descriptions and character development are consistently excellent. This wasn't his strongest effort, because, although it showcased his talents, it could have been developed more, mo...more
Chris
My first book by Ronald Malfi and definitely not my last.

A ship crab fishing in the arctic sees a nude young girl running in the ice and snow and picks her up. Almost immediately the crew regrets their heroism as the men on the doomed ship wonder who or what they have rescued.

Masterful description, great characterization, creepy beyond description, dripping with atmosphere---you can almost feel the cold that closes in on these cursed characters. A story of an encounter with the "other," the nam...more
Kevin Lucia
It's almost an iron-clad guarantee: reading Ronald Malfi's work will send shivers down your spine, fill you with a sense of unsettling disquiet...but it will also, ultimately, break your heart. Because - aside from his smooth, often lyrical prose - that's one of Malfi's greatest talents: invoking emotion.

His characters are often lost, fractured, wandering souls whose quests for meaning and significance so nearly mirrors our own, genre becomes secondary. This is why Malfi has enjoyed such succes...more
Cphe
Quite a chilling and macabre novella. A crew on a trawler fishing off the Alaskan coast rescue a young woman unexpectedly...
Thats when things start to go to hell in a handbasket on board the trawler, and the boat and crew start to disintegrate.

I enjoyed the descriptions of the ice and cold and the isolation. The crew of the trawler, Charley, Mike and company were well presented. Each had there share of problems and appeared to be ordinary men trying to make a living in a hard and harsh world.

It...more
Cynthia
So far, I'm two-for-two. This is my second story by Malfi and it didn't disappoint.

Although this is a novella, the characterization and imagery did not suffer from the short length. Borealis was a unique story for me because I don't think I have read anything like this in the past—that alone was refreshing.

The girl in this story seriously creeped me out. The strange way she spoke, mannerisms, having no name, etc., made shivers run down my spine. She just feels “wrong”.

There is so much I would...more
Kascha
Meh...

Okay in earlier reviews when I had first started with Kindle-type books, I bemoaned the length of the format and said I was having problems with stories that seemed like they were running at 78 speed. Borealis is a perfect example of what I was getting at.

Ronald Malfi is a very gifted writer. I have now read three of his books; this, Snow, and Mourning House. The great experience that was Mourning House is still propelling me through his collection, and as with that book, the atmospheric q...more
Felix Zilich
Рыболовецкий траулер “Бореалис” возвращался на Аляску с полными трюмами крабов, когда на одном из айсбергов вахтенный заметил… голую девушку. Девушка бежала по снегу, навстречу кораблю, потом упала и уже не поднималась. Рыбаки спасли девушку, одели, отогрели, но так и не смогли добиться от новой пассажирки путного объяснения, что именно она делала во льдах посреди Берингова моря. Девушка не знала ничего, даже своего имени. Не знала или просто не хотела говорить.

Вскоре рыбаки обнаружили, что на...more
AmandaSOTP
There is one reason I am always impressed with Malfi's books: one chapter and I'm hooked. It doesn't even need to be very long, his writing draws you in until you can't put the book down. Borealis is no different from his other books, three pages in and I was hooked.

Unlike his other books, I didn't think there was as much character development in this story, but while the characters were a little flat, it didn't detract greatly from the overall story. The mystery behind the woman found on the ic...more
Susan
A creepy, shivery, haunting story that would make a good X-Files story--as long as Mulder and Sculley survive!!!
John Copeland
Pretty terrible. The premise was intriguing but Malfi pretty much ruined any surprise by including the events of chapter 1. After that it's all very predictable. Characters go crazy and we ultimately have a rip off of The Thing combined with The Shining. It was a slog to finish this short novella.

This was my 3rd Malfi after reading Passenger and Floating Staircase. I enjoyed those previous novels but I am now left with a feeling that he takes his ideas from movies. Passenger was reminiscent of t...more
Adrian
More great stuff from Malfi

A quick spooky read. Always enjoy Malfis work. If you enjoyed John Carpenter's The Thing, then I think you will enjoy this too.
Douglas Castagna
Who is she? Where did she come from? What does she want? Why is she doing this? These questions are asked but never answered in this short novella by the authore of Floating Staircase. This enigmatic woman seems to bring about the end of all who encounter her, and it seems this novella is just the beginning for ill fated few on the trawler who picked her up. I can see her wreacking havoc in other installments. Very atmospheric and well worth the read.
Veronica
Borealis is a juicy tidbit, something I'd been searching for for a long time. I love the supernatural combined with the nautical element of it, reminding me of one of my favorite books, 'Dead Sea'. I was disappointed in the fact that it was a novella, being a little less than a hundred pages, I think. I would have given it 4 stars, but I felt the ending was a bit weak and came up a bit short. All in all, good read. I recommend.
Pete Aldin
A great little horror tale that works well as snob elks because it maintains it's pace and refuses to be sidetracked.

An original evil. And a story not dumbed down, but allowing the reader to think and feel and imagine.
David Bernstein
Like Mr. Malfi's other books, Borealis delivers the goods! It's a great read, set in the arctic on a boat with a crew of interesting characters and some truly disturbing moments. Like some of his other books, you may think you know the truth of what's going on, but with twists and turns you'll have to read to the very end to figure it out. This is pure horror at its finest--atmospheric and chilling, in more ways than one.
George Wilhite
My full review is at The Horror Review. This is very creepy. Excellent details of the frozen Arctic setting. Great character development for a novella length work. Reminded me of some of the great spooky stories set in the frozen waste--Who Goes There? (aka The Thing) or Dan Simmons's The Terror.
Will Ramos
This novella by Ronald Malfi is just excellent. The chilling atmosphere and characters are brought to life in amazing prose. Malfi is truly a gifted word-smith and I look forward to reading more works by this author.
Peter Schwotzer
Another awesome book by Mr. Malfi. A desolate, bleak, and harrowing story that will definitely turn your blood cold.
♥ Sandi
Good quick read - mostly unbelievable - but very enjoyable.
Gusto Dave
Top notch characterization and very creepy.

Gusto Dave Jackson
Alice-Anne
A FANTASTIC read - loved it. I wanted it to go on...and on...
Maryjo
Maryjo marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Beverly
Beverly marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Sydnee
Sydnee marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Sheila
Sheila marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2014
Albert
Albert marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Ronald Malfi is an award-winning novelist and short fiction writer whose most notable works include the novels Via Dolorosa and Shamrock Alley. His short fiction has appeared in numerous magazines and collections throughout the US and abroad. Most recognized for his haunting, literary style and memorable characters, Malfi writes fiction that transcends genres to gain wider acceptance among readers...more
More about Ronald Malfi...
Floating Staircase Snow The Mourning House The Narrows Cradle Lake