Start by marking “I Am Lucky Bird” as Want to Read:
I Am Lucky Bird

I Am Lucky Bird

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  46 ratings  ·  19 reviews
When her mother mysteriously vanishes from the small town of Plains, Montana, 12-year-old Lucky Bird’s childhood comes to an abrupt end. Left to defend herself against her suddenly abusive grandmother, Marian, and forced to endure the twisted predatory games played out by Marian’s lover, Lucky soon finds herself trapped in a nightmare.

Even when she manages to escape, the o
Published August 1st 2011 by New Dawn Publishers Ltd

To ask other readers questions about I Am Lucky Bird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Am Lucky Bird

Charlotte Lynn
Twelve year old Lucky Bird finds herself thrown into adulthood when her mother vanishes from a small town in Montana. When she finally manages to escape an abusive grandmother and the grandmother’s lover, she finds herself into a whole nother world of trouble. As she heads down a dangerous path, trying to outrun her past. She meets an amazing family. If she can meet her past head on there is hope that she can get a normal life finally.

Child abuse is an incredibly tough topic for any person to ta
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
I Am Lucky Bird by Fleur Philips introduces us to Lucky Bird, a young woman living in Plains, Montana. The closest person to being a mother to Lucky, AnnMarie, cares for Lucky until she mysteriously disappears when Lucky is twelve. Lucky is then basically left to fend for herself, albeit with visits from Marian Bird, the woman she considers her grandmother. Marian drops off groceries, as well as verbally abuses and terrorizes Lucky, at least once a week. And then there is Tom, Marian's creepy bo ...more
Deborah
Just briefly I want to say that "I Am Lucky Bird" is one of the most stunning and visceral books I've read on child abuse this last decade. It is so brilliantly and beautifully written I found myself holding my breath through many of the passages. While the author takes on a difficult topic, the writing is so compelling the pages just slipped past me. I found myself caring for Lucky Bird and being reluctant to leave her.

Fleur Philips easily captures the essence of childhood, the terrors of being
Lauren
Going into this one I didn't really know what to expect, but I ended up being quite surprised. It was truly an amazing book, one that while was incredibly hard to read at times because of the sadness involved was also worth it in the end. I can't wait to see what this author writes next!

Review coming soon...
Roxanne Kade
What I thought was going to be a simple coming of age novel, quickly turned into a dark, macabre story filled with so much anguish and tragedy that it was difficult to tear my eyes away from the pages for even a second. Philips' writing flows off the pages making it such a pleasure to read. The story still haunts me in many ways and the images that filled my head while reading are not easy to forget. I think this novel would make a brilliant movie.

Lucky's life has never been easy. The only peopl
Angie Holtz
From Lilac Wolf and Stuff

I'm trying to think of a way to describe this novel. It's not a happy story, where everyone gets along and there's a separate bad guy or thing that they must unite to find themselves victorious. No, Lucky is a girl very much left to her own devices. And often, that's not a pretty sight.

I think I love these kinds of stories because I can honestly relate to the character. Even if she doesn't have anyone else in her corner, I'm there cheering for her to find her way out of
Tiffany
Frishawn Rasheed
"I Am Lucky Bird" is the beautifully rendered tale of young Miss Lucky Bird. Found as a baby behind a local bar, Lucky is adopted by the hard living Marian Bird and her young daughter, AnnMarie.
When AnnMarie disappears, Lucky must defend herself from the predatory abuses of her aunt's lover.
This was a very hard book to read because of all of the abuse and injustice that Lucky has to endure at such an early age.
Facing obstacles that would have cowed most adults and powering through the tragedies
Penelope Bartotto
Life is a circle that can be completed or can be left unfinished because we never learn all the details of what has happened over our years on the earth. The story of Lucky Bird is a completed circle, but the story told within it is poignant and full of fear, love, despair, and hope. Fleur Philips writes the story from the character perspective of Lucky Bird, a young girl when we first meet her, who will fight a hard battle to adulthood. Writing from this particular perspective can be tricky and ...more
Alice Bola
Although this novel is very short, it packs quite a powerful punch. I am Lucky Bird is not your typical coming of age story about a young girl in rural Montana in the early 90s. Lucky Bird is not your typical girl. At 11 years old, Lucky lives in a small home with Marian, a nurse at the local hospital who found a newborn Lucky abandoned behind her favorite tavern, and AnnMarie, Marian’s quiet introspective daughter and Lucky’s closest companion. The novel follows the next 6 years of Lucky’s life ...more
drey
Fleur Philips’ I Am Lucky Bird is not an easy read. It’s emotional and depressing almost all the way through.

Lucky’s life starts out as an unwanted baby, brought in off the back steps of a bar to live with Marian and her daughter Ann-Marie. Neither are the warm-fuzzy type, and seem to think that providing food and shelter are all that’s needed for a child’s well-being… At least Ann-Marie shares her books and stories with Lucky.

Then Marian’s boyfriend Tom stops by. And Ann-Marie withdraws into he
Miriam Downey
Read my full review here: http://mimi-cyberlibrarian.blogspot.c...

Lucky Bird is a girl in rural Montana. Although she was named Lucky by her grandmother, Marian, her life has been anything but lucky. She has been told that she was left on the doorstep of the village tavern as a newborn and raised by Marian and her daughter AnnMarie. Hence the name.

“Raised” is the operative word here, for like many children in dysfunctional situations, Lucky has raised herself. The story begins when she is about
Laura Kay Bolin
This is one of those books I wasn't completely sure about. I mean the story sounded so compelling to me, but at the same time I knew it was going to be dealing with some pretty tough topics as I read.

Lucky Bird is a twelve year old girl, a loner, a girl who was found in a dumpster behind a bar. The only person in her life who ever loved her was her "mother", AnnMarie. Then AnnMarie mysteriously disappears. Lucky is left alone with Marian, AnnMarie's abusive mother, whose drunken creepy boyfriend
Kristin (Kritters Ramblings)
Check out the full review at Kritters Ramblings

Lucky Bird was a character that you wanted to see come out from under a bad situation, but the negative events just kept happening to her. From an early age, she had to fend for herself surrounded by inadequate adults who were unable to even take care of themselves. Thankfully there are a few people along the way who help her find herself and find a better situation.
This book would make a great movie! The plot moves quickly and the story really sucks you in. Worth reading.
Wendy Hines

I Am Lucky Bird is a poignant coming of age novel, but with dark overtones that had me filled with anguish and just about broke my heart. Poor Lucky, she just wanted to be loved and be wanted. Child abuse is horrific and Phillips tackles the subject no holds barred. I read this book in one sitting, it is just so powerful. I found myself wrapped up in Lucky's world, a girl who doesn't even have a name.

Lucky really isn't lucky at all. Every decision that is made for her or that she makes doesn't a
Arlena

Author: Fleur Philips
Published by: New Dawn Publishers
Age Recommended: Adult
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Book Blog For: GMTA
Rating: 5

Review:

"I Am Lucky Bird" by Fleur Philips was really some read that took place in rural Montana that deals with some tough topics. I found this read to be well written and once you start it you will get hooked immediately. "I am Lucky Bird" does cover a range that implores a range of time from a baby being found behind a bar...only to be adopted by Marian...who wasn't s
Denise
I wanted to like this book. I really did. The premise was great: young girl raised by neglectful, abusive family makes her way in the world. My problem with it was that it seemed to be written at a 10yr-old reading level and yet the topics covered in it were very adult (or young adult -- late teens/early twenties). Even though several bad things happened to Lucky Bird as a child and young girl, the topics are brushed over...not delved into fully as you would expect in an adult book. Many of the ...more
Jenny
This book so wants to be the next Bastard Out of Carolina, but falls short while not realizing the irony in the wanting. You can throw every awful, dysfunctional family event, every stereotypical disillusioned and abandoned teenage escape, and worst of all, every too-good-to-be-true ending all into one book, but what you have there is more an empty roller coaster ride than an engaging, realistic plot. I wanted this book to be less predictable and to have a bigger heart.
Ben'nequa Curtis
Ben'nequa Curtis marked it as to-read
Nov 18, 2014
Leonie
Leonie marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Jeri
Jeri added it
Aug 22, 2014
Lise Quintana
Lise Quintana marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Hayley
Hayley marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Haneen
Haneen marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Fleur Philips is an award-winning author who holds an MFA in Creative Writing from Antioch University and a Bachelor of Arts in English from the University of Montana. Her first novel, I Am Lucky Bird, was selected as a General Fiction Finalist for the 2011 Book of the Year Award from ForeWord Reviews. Her current novel, Crumble, was named Young Adult Winner from the 2013 San Francisco Book Festiv ...more
More about Fleur Philips...
Crumble