The Golden Spiders

The Golden Spiders (Nero Wolfe #22)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,948 ratings  ·  71 reviews
Incredibly brilliant Nero Wolfe is famous for his genius at detection. He is also famous for his wealthy clients and extremely high fees. So why has Wolfe accepted a case for $4.30? And why have the last two people to hire him been ruthlessly murdered?
Published September 2nd 1996 by Chivers Large print (Chivers, Windsor, Paragon & C (first published January 1st 1953)

Ellen
"The Golden Spiders" by Rex Stout.

Listened to on CD performed by Michael Pritchard. Nero & Archie at their best.

A young man arrives at Nero's door with a case. The case, he explains, began when he was attempting to wash the windshields of cars as they stopped for a red light. This particular case had a woman driving with a man in the passenger seat. Just as the young man glances towards the woman she moves her lips to mouth to say HELP and to call the police.

Then the light turns green and t...more
Shireen
What can I say? I love Rex Stout books. They're my go-to when I need something light, easy to read, but with engaging characters, a realistic plot, and a good mystery. The Golden Spiders fills the bill just as well as other Stout books that I've read. Nero Wolfe is in all his massive glory; the food is as important as ever; Archie Goodwin is his usual irreverent self. But there is one difference from previous books I've read in this series: a scene of violence.

Like with Robert B. Parker, Stout d...more
Nan Silvernail
Twelve year old Pete Drossos, who lives in Nero Wolfe's neighborhood, saw something strange as he was trying to earn money by washing car windshields at a corner. He brought the information to the great detective. Just a couple days later the boy is run down in the street. While dying in the ambulance the boy tells his mother to take his savings to Wolfe and to ask him to solve the crime. It's only $4.30, but perhaps because the kid ate at Wolfe's table and it is thus a matter of honor, he's wil...more
Karen
One of the best Nero Wolfe/Archie Goodwin mysteries, but it shouldn't be the first one you read -- too much of the enjoyment of this story depends on being well-acquainted with Wolfe's personality and peculiarities. The supporting cast (Panzer, Durkin, Cather, etc.) is in full force and great form.

(It was developed as an A&E movie before the series. While both seasons of the series are pitch-perfect, the movie has few off notes in casting and tone -- it's merely good, not great. Watch it aft...more
João  Cardeira Jorge
A very entertaining read, up to Stout's usual high standard. The plot is intriguing and interesting, with a nice investigation, a good sense of pace and development and some truly tense moments. Archie is funny as always, with his smart-mouth antics and Wolfe... well he's Nero Wolfe. The dry, sometimes childish, fiendishly clever and ruthless Wolf. I suppose your enjoyment of this series comes from your opinion on Nero Wolfe. To be honest he is not very likable but he has so much personality and...more
Jeff Miller
I’m not sure why I don’t read more mysteries than I do since when I do pick up one I generally enjoy them. Unlike my normal book reading experience I encounter mystery authors more via television and movies causing me to go back to the source. Mrs. Marple, Lord Peter Wimsey, etc were long my favorites before picking up and enjoying the books even more. Another case in point was the A&E series Nero Wolfe based on Rex Stout’s fictional detective. I just loved everything about that series from...more
Adam Graham
The Golden Spiders finds Wolfe and Archie in ill-temper. Archie decides to admit a neighborhood boy who comes to Wolfe because of Wolfe’s antipathy to police and the fact that he saw a woman in a car apparently in trouble. Wolfe handles the boy well and agrees to help by tracing the plate of the car.

However, the boy is murdered the next day and the case goes to another level. The boy’s mother asks Wolfe to find out why he was killed and offers her son’s savings which amounts to $4.30 to find the...more
Cathy DuPont
Mar 24, 2012 Cathy DuPont rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: My favorite bookseller, Vanessa with thanks again!
Seventy-four books! That's 74 books written by Rex Stout and I had never heard of him until recently. Where have I been?

Just to make an easy intro, here's a quote from Wikipedia. Yes, I know you can't believe everything on Wiki but this is probably correct: "The Nero Wolfe corpus was nominated Best Mystery Series of the Century at Bouchercon 2000, the world's largest mystery convention, and Rex Stout was nominated Best Mystery Writer of the Century." And I had never heard of him!

My first book r...more
meeners
i read rex stout books the way others watch late-night reruns of tv shows from one's childhood, for those times when you don't quite want to turn off your brain entirely but you're too tired or too run down to power it up to full capacity. there's something so inviting and warm about rex stout, despite the subject material. to make another analogy: i suppose it's something like the drowsy pleasure one gets from hearing old friends talking together while you lie half asleep on the couch, content...more
Brendan
Once again, I read and enjoyed a Rex Stout Nero Wolfe mystery. I’m still unsure about whether I like these because of the fantastic job the A&E television series did adapting them OR if I like them because they’re smart and well-written. Either way, they’re a delight and I’m going to be reading more, certainly.

A few thoughts about this particular story:

* I thought one of the big clues was rather obvious, and had been revealed by a question Nero asked pretty early in the proceedings. Oh well...more
Jamie Jonas
Nero Wolfe. Momentous words. I can hardly begin to sum up what Rex Stout's Wolfe novels have meant to me since I began reading them in my teens. Stout is one of the great masters of his craft, truly an artisan of words. Yes, Agatha Christie was great. Yes, I'm fascinated by the novels of Raymond Chandler. Yet all other mystery writers in my mind bow to the astonishing talent of Stout.

"Golden Spiders" is no exception to the other fine works by this author. It also has a few unique twists, such as...more
Ian
Half the fun of reading a Stout -- and I don't think you can say this for many mystery writers -- is seeing the witty parley between the characters. Getting invited into Wolfe's brownstone is alone worth the price of admission, and then the plot's gravy. This one was OK in terms of the story, with a decent twist thrown in at the end.
Vicki Cline
A 12-year old neighbor boy comes to Wolfe with a story of a women with golden spider earrings who whispered to him from the driver's seat of a car to get the police. He figures there must be money in the story somehow, and he'll split the loot with Wolfe. A few days later the boy is dead - run over by the same car. Then the car is found and there's evidence in it to link the car to the death of another person. Finally, a rich woman is found murdered not long after coming to see Wolfe wearing gol...more
Bárbara
3/5
O livro já tem mais de 50 anos, portanto os métodos de investigação não incluíam impressões digitais nem adn. As comunicações eram feitas por telefone, a partir de cabines públicas. Parece que a história tem um ritmo lento por isso, mas é interessante. Dá-se mais valor à capacidade de raciocínio para se resolverem os crimes.
Gostei particularmente do Archie Goodwin, o assistente de Nero Wolfe e narrador neste livro. Ele desenrasca-se bem, seja para conseguir uma refeição quando já passa da hor...more
Pam
If you are a true blue Nero Wolfe fan, you will like this book. If you have never read him, I would try another one for a first try.

Taken from the back of the book: "Step into the unassuming 35th Street brownstone, and join the the astounding exploits of Nero Wolfe. Marvel at his daily beer consumption, his unsurpassed appetite, the incredible expanse of his yellow pajamas." "He is also famous for his wealthy clients and extremely high fees. So why has Wolfe accepted a case for $4.30? And why h...more
Rusty
This is a remarkable murder mystery. Three people are murdered in the same way - a young boy, a man and a wealthy, prominent woman. All are run over by a car. Nero Wolfe, a remarkable and unique private investigator solves murders without leaving his home. His group of operatives do the leg work for him and report the results. In this case, a pair of gold spider earrings, presumably the only pair in the city, is mentioned time and time again. Wolfe is able to determine the murderer from a group...more
Linda
Sorry but I didn't find this all that interesting...
Another Thyme
One of my favourite Nero Wolfe novels.
Suzannah
This is a good quick mystery story. The writing was particularly strong, but I'm taking off a star for the torture used by the main character.
Jason
I read this one in paperback last year-it was great fun to revisit it again. Still on the edge of seat reading and a great story!
Steven Vaughan-Nichols
This is another more "serious" Nero Wolfe mystery where we care about the characters who meet a bad end and Wolfe's aids end up more trouble than they normally do. That said, it's also yet another outstanding mystery. As I said to a friend a few days ago, I don't how Rex Stout managed to write such wonderfully re-readable novels. We know exactly how it all comes out, but we're still always happy to revisit Wolfe's old brownstone and renew our friendship with Archie Goodwin.
I invested 4 hours into the audio book. Have no idea if I reached the end. Am guessing not-since it was only 4 hours and it ended in the middle of a chase scene.

Not really a conclusion-but maybe this is how the books end.
Kind of like Choose Your Own Adventure.

I am considering this book to be read.
~I want to know more about orchids and the kinds of people who grow them. Maybe I will grow an orchid. I wonder if I am the kind of person who grows orchids.
Sharon
Surprisingly good--I'm always impressed when older books have a funny, cynical, modern voice.

I think it's funny, though--how do you get to be a consulting detective unless you're already famous? I mean, to be such a great detective that people come to you in spite of your eccentric office hours and unwillingness to go out and investigate anything--how do you get enough clients to get to that point?

Nero Wolfe was made for Orson Welles.
Astrid Neumeier
I wouldn't say that this is my favorite Nero Wolfe book, but I like it mostly because it puts Wolfe and Archie Goodwin in a situation in which they have the chance to be noble and compassionate, and they are. Wolfe's petulant and arrogant manner generally amuses me, but I like to see him being a good man, too. Plus, this story is longer than most Wolfe stories, and I always like the more involved plot lines.
Brad
This series can move a bit slow at times, but it always goes really quick with the reveal at the end. I'm starting to get used to the first person narration (This is my second from the series) that can go a little slow with all the description. I had a bit of trouble keeping track of the male characters (with the exception of a few) but I can work on a method for dealing with that in the future.
Jillann
here is the thing. nero wolfe is brilliant, crabby, insolent, rarified, discriminating. you do not want to be his friend, but you certainly want to live life, for a hundred -odd pages a pop, as someone who gets away with being those things. and is paid handsomely for it. and eats well. and has the hottie archie to boss around.

even if you wanted to be his friend, he wouldn't be yours.
William Ritch
A fantastic Nero Wolfe book.

As usual, or titular hero solves the case without ever once leaving his house. Instead our actual hero, Archie, must run all over town - and spend most of the day "downtown" with the police, DAs, and other officials while Wolfe is brilliant off-camera.

This was the first story adapted by the brilliant A&E TV series - with good reason!
Cindy
Nero Wolfe takes on a client for the sum of - $4.30. It starts with a kid in trouble. He wants nothing to do with the cops, but a private eye is a different story. Wolfe isn't saying yes or no, but the next day, the boy's body turns up in a road after a hit and run. Now the big guy is steamed. The only good clue is a pair of earrings shaped like gold spiders.
Susan
When a woman wearing unusual earrings asks a boy to call the police to help her, then disappears, the boy turns to Nero Wolfe. Wolfe thinks it's a joke, until the boy is killed. Then a woman appears in the same earrings, but it's not the same woman. More deaths draw Wolfe, and Archie, deeper into a conspiracy. Nice 1950's atmosphere.
  • Murder in E Minor
  • The Fashion in Shrouds (Albert Campion Mystery #10)
  • Everybody Dies (Matthew Scudder, #14)
  • Black Money
  • The Big Sleep  and Other Novels
  • Fletch's Fortune (Fletch, #3)
  • A Grave Mistake (Roderick Alleyn, #30)
  • The Case of the Curious Bride (Perry Mason Mystery)
  • The Heat's On (Harlem Cycle, #6)
  • Wicked Uncle (Miss Silver, #12)
  • Cinnamon Skin (Travis McGee #20)
  • Have His Carcase  (Lord Peter Wimsey Mysteries, #8)
Rex Todhunter Stout (December 1, 1886 – October 27, 1975) was an American crime writer, best known as the creator of the larger-than-life fictional detective Nero Wolfe, described by reviewer Will Cuppy as "that Falstaff of detectives." Wolfe's assistant Archie Goodwin recorded the cases of the detective genius from 1934 (Fer-de-Lance) to 1975 (A Family Affair).

The Nero Wolfe corpus was nominated...more
More about Rex Stout...
Fer-de-Lance (Nero Wolfe, #1) Too Many Cooks (Nero Wolfe, #5) Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe, #6) The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe, #2) Black Orchids (Nero Wolfe, #9)