Start by marking “The Best Mistake Ever! and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Best Mistake Ever! and Other Stories

The Best Mistake Ever! and Other Stories

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  327 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Now available as an eBook!Richard Scarry presents three humorous tales about happily resolved misunderstandings in the busy world of Lowly Worm and Huckle Cat. ...more
Published September 28th 2011 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Mistake Ever! and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Mistake Ever! and Other Stories

Mr. John
Huckle wanted to do something nice for his mom, and be helpful. But, like a lot of kids, he was making more of a mess by helping her. His mom sends him to the store to by some groceries, but Huckle forgets his list.

It is so funny when Huckle hooks up with his friend Lowly, and they get all of the food mixed up. But, in the end it's coincidental how a mistake can be turned from negative to positive.

A Visit to Mr. Fix It:

Huckle buys his mom a Cuckoo - Clock for Mother's day. I enjoy the twist in
Terry
Little Kid Reaction: My kids loved the stories in this book. Even my 2-year old enjoyed it, although, I had to paraphrase near the end due to dwindling attention span issues! My 6-year-old is to the point where he can read this to his brothers, and my 4 year old loves to listen to it. Sometimes we read 1 story, sometimes 2, and sometimes all 3. There are 10-15 words per page, and they are simple and somewhat repetitive, with some longer words like "wonderful," "presents," and "whispered."

Big Kid
Sara Bland
These are cute, short stories with nice illustrations. The style of having three little stories in one book is kind of fun and attractive, but the stories are almost too short to carry much of an impression. Each short story is about this cat who keeps getting himself into a little big of trouble and he always ends up getting himself out of it. This would be a good book for younger children who have a short attention span.
Pam
There is something about Richard Scarry's illustrations, I have loved them all my life!! This is not the right version listed here, ours is a book club version, not a #3Level reader, but you get the idea.
Henry
I love this book I have read it about 999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 nonillion times (yes this is a number).
Emily Woodard
100 Stars. I hope it's not cheating. I liked when Huckle made a mistake because it was silly!
This was a delightful read for all of my children (9 and under). They had some good chuckles.
Justin
the friends part was so awesome. and the other stores to
Ryan
Sayaka Kiko
Time: 10 minutes
7 words: cat errand mistake clock present suprise-party best-friend
Questions:
1・ Have you ever ran on errands?
…… Yes,I have. When I was a elementary school student, I bought bread by myself.
2・ Do you have best friends?
……Yes, I met her when I was a kindergarten student.

This story is very funy, and there are a lot of good pictures.
I could enjoy reading this book.
Kathryn Alice
This is pretty much our favorite bed-time story. Why? It is SO upbeat, innocent and sweet. It gives the message that even a mistake can turn out to be a good thing, which I adore. Our copy is well-worn :-)

I recommend any of the Richard Scarry Busytown books. We got them in light-weight paperback, so they've been around the world with us a few times now.
Rosa Cline
This "I Can Read It All By Myself Beginner Book" is actually three smaller stories in one. All three stories something happens that makes Huckle Cat think is 'bad' but the mistake turns around to be 'good'. Good 'friend' stories too...as Huckle's best friend Lowly helps him in each story. If you like Huckle Cat stories you'll enjoy these.
Emerson
Very nice entry into the world of short chapter stories by Richard Scarry. We've read the first story wherein huckleberry the cat and lowly botch the grocery list (potato chips instead of mommy's potatoes, ice cream instead of cream, apple pie instead of apples, etc).
Belise Michel
This book is about relationships with friends and family members. It helps build up vocabulary by relatable experiences in life. It also helps children to understand the value in each lesson.
Cheryl
Wren loves this book. We read it at least once a day lately. Luckily I still kind of like Lowly worm. Gotta hand it to a hand-less critter who drives an apple car.
Sandi
Great illustrations and nice "lessons" make this fun read educational as well as adorable! The little stories can be read all at once or in several sittings.
Cece
This book has several stories. Huckle Cat helps with the grocery shopping, visits the fix-it-shop, and learns about being best friends.
Gordon
The book is very easy. I learn that you have to be careful with your work: pay attention to your parents and not to mess up.
Dean graham
It was about Huckle cat Lowly worm going shopping for Huckle's mother. I liked it because I could read it and it was funny.
Yarb
The incomparable Huckle Cat and his nematode sidekick apply their trademark hapless humour to three workaday scenarios.
Gabriel Dubransky
This is a little bit better than Recess Mess!
Catarina
Three very funny stories for starting readers.
Amy Mccarty
Kk
Kk marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Harjinder
Harjinder marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • It's Not Easy Being Big! (Bright & Early Books)
  • Dinosaur Days
  • The Bears' Vacation
  • Mittens
  • Arthur's Reading Race
  • Biscuit Wins a Prize
  • Just Say Please (Little Golden Book)
  • Fred and Ted like to fly (Beginner Books(R))
  • Big Egg
  • Penny and Her Doll
  • Poppleton And Friends (Poppleton)
  • Sam the Minuteman
  • Mouse and Mole, Fine Feathered Friends
  • Uncle Elephant
  • I'm Big!
  • Fly High, Fly Guy! (Fly Guy, #5)
  • Driving Buddies (Step into Reading)
What Do People Do All Day? Cars and Trucks and Things That Go Richard Scarry's Best Storybook Ever! Richard Scarry's Best Word Book Ever Richard Scarry's Please and Thank You Book