Start by marking “Salaam, Paris” as Want to Read:
Salaam, Paris

Salaam, Paris

Tanaya Shah longs for the wonderful world of Paris, the world that she fell in love with while watching Audrey Hepburn in Sabrina—so when a proposal comes along for an arranged marriage with a man who is living in Paris, Tanaya seizes the chance. But once she lands in the city, she shuns the match. A stroke of luck turns Tanaya into a supermodel, and soon the traditional g ...more
Published June 27th 2006 by Plume (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Salaam, Paris, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salaam, Paris

Born Confused by Tanuja Desai HidierThe Contract by Zeenat MahalInterpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa LahiriHaveli by Zeenat MahalDone With Men by Shuchi Singh Kalra
Desi Chick Lit
70th out of 231 books — 298 voters
A Bollywood Affair by Sonali DevBollywood Confidential by Sonia SinghBusted in Bollywood by Nicola MarshA Trip with the Tycoon by Nicola MarshThe Love Asana by Milan Vohra
Contemporary Romance Set in India
20th out of 39 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Petra X
May 05, 2015 Petra X rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, reviewed
This is a fast read, very much in the chicklit genre but at its core has the problem of how far an Indian Muslim girl should determine her own life and how much she should remain true to the traditional way her family are trying to enforce. The problem is compounded by the fact she becomes a top model and although the supposed baggage of lovers, drugs and a wild life are not true in her case, who would believe that, especially not her family. What is also interesting in the book is the very obvi ...more
Bookchica
Mar 28, 2008 Bookchica rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Salaam Paris is about a 19 year old Indian Muslim girl, Tanaya Shah, from a conservative family. She leaves Mumbai to go to Paris under the guise of meeting the man she has been promised to. Once in Paris, she breaks away from her family. Ignoring the gnawing guilt of behaving unlike a good Muslim and to find the her individual freedom that she romantically links with Paris, having dreamed of achieving Zen-like satisfaction a la Audrey Hepburn in Sabrina.

She goes on to become one of the most sou
Anandita
Sep 20, 2015 Anandita rated it did not like it
Well as the story began i thought the protagonist was living in a sexist patriarchal muslim society. But then as the story progressed she wanted to do more than be just a "bride". She becomes a model and achieves enormous name and fame. But still, i guess, it had been instilled in her that the whole reason of her existence was to serve her husband. So she just abruptly leaves her career for a male chauvinistic pig who at one point confesses his love and then the next moment his cowardly act of j ...more
Sherry
Jan 17, 2013 Sherry rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Maybe because I'm muslim, I loved the film Sabrina, I seemed to get the gist of the book's message. Although it is very un realistic, the way was written does have heart. It's not terrible, but not everyone can relate to it, or it's hard to relate to in some aspects of growing up and getting married.

I still want to go to Paris one day and have my own adventure!
Susan Williams
I usually enjoy Daswani's light hearted tales of cultural confusion and Salaam Paris was no exception, however, I felt it was one of her weaker efforts. Tanaya is an innocent Muslim girl thrown into the glamorous world of high fashion and modeling after escaping an arranged marriage. I think I enjoyed this one less as usually, Daswani's heroines are average Indian transplants who luck into unusual opportunities.

The characters in this book are more over the top and less sympathetic. That said, th
Anne
Jul 11, 2012 Anne rated it it was ok
Shelves: india
Now I did like for Matrimonial Purposes and Indie Girl, written by Kavita Daswani. Neither is the though provoking depths of Vikram Seth, but they were enjoyable stories, with likable characters and a nice peek into the Indian culture for those who were knew to the culture.

And while it was obvious from Indie Girl that the fashion world in relation to traditional Indian values is a favorite theme of Daswani, I have really no clue what this book was about. At first from the prologue I thought it w
Londonmabel Mabel
Feb 05, 2011 Londonmabel Mabel rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: not
Recommended to Londonmabel by: found in bargain books
I picked up Salaam, Paris by Kavita Daswani as a sale book, so I didn't have big expectations. It's about Tanaya, a young Muslim Indian woman who's always dreamed of living in Paris. When her family wants her to marry a Muslim man living in Paris she agrees to go meet him, but instead turns her back on the arrangement and lives an independent life, eventually becoming a fashion model. The usual conflicts arise--feeling torn between her traditional upbringing and her bikini-clad magazine spreads, ...more
Nora
Aug 20, 2014 Nora rated it it was ok
there is the never-ending focus on looks. One is ugly and worthless, or beautiful, like Tanaya, and strong, successful, even if challenged when it comes to sense of direction.

But, then this is a fanstasy. No bearing to the real world or real people whatsoever. I had to keep that in mind and cringed.. and had to ignore the inaccuracies, the clichés, and…well, the plot. The good news is that I was finished with the book quickly.
Charity
Nov 03, 2009 Charity rated it liked it
Salaam, Paris centers on Tanaya Shah, a nineteen-year-old Muslim girl living in India, who is about to enter into an arranged marriage...or so her family believes. However, Audrey Hepburn has made Tanaya long for something more. After seeing the movie Sabrina, Tanaya is desperate to see Paris and be "of the world", just like Audrey's title character in the movie.

Under the guise of meeting with her future husband, Tanaya is able to leave for Paris with the blessing of her family. But, once there,
K Chaitanya
Apr 13, 2015 K Chaitanya rated it it was amazing
This is a book which echoes my thoughts. It felt like Tanaya and I shared the same soul. The author weaves a story so rich and interesting that it leaves you spellbound. A beautiful girl bound by the ropes of tradition and chafing against it finds herself in Paris to meet a man found for her to marry, what ensues is the story of a determined girl who will attain her dreams, come what may. She stays true to her faith in spite of all the temptation thrown her way. Abandoned by her father and disow ...more
Christina
Nov 13, 2010 Christina rated it it was ok
Oct 05, 2015 Sarah rated it it was ok
A young Indian Muslim girl battles against the traditional roles that have been placed on her. She becomes modernized and gains independence, but remains unfulfilled. She travels around the world, but still feels the pull of her family obligations. The ending felt like the conclusion to a cliche Bollywood movie. I had hoped the main character would stand her ground and relish in her new life as a self-sufficient woman.
La'Precious Coleman
Jun 25, 2015 La'Precious Coleman rated it it was amazing
I bought this book a few years ago and when I first read it, I loved it. Honestly, I like reading books written by authors from different cultures that write stories that include their culture. This book was a good book from beginning to end and it is an easy book to read and understand.
Lesley
Sep 12, 2016 Lesley rated it liked it
Shelves: library, fame
While enjoyable, suffered from 2 major flaws: 1. main character's lack of personality, and 2. proselytizing. Trying to respect religious conviction and all but GODDAMN was that some moral high ground bullshit ending that (barely) tried to pretend it wasn't.
Thanwa
Oct 03, 2015 Thanwa rated it really liked it
Clarification: this is a 4.75, so so close to a full 5 stars, just... needed more of a full ending. I realize the romance wasn't the key part of the book, but I would have liked more details.
Ashley (cnthrdlywt2bwz)
Mar 02, 2009 Ashley (cnthrdlywt2bwz) rated it liked it
Shelves: year-2009
This is my "romance" selection for the WBC. I like learning about
Muslim culture so I can understand better where they're coming from and what traditional values have been established.

This book leans heavily on the woman's connection to her family and the choices that she makes to affect that relationship. At some point the woman falls for the man with whom she had an arranged marriage but refused to marry. (Don't worry, that spoiler is on the cover!) It's fun to read about the author's imagine
Juliet
Jan 03, 2015 Juliet rated it liked it
A pretty cute fluffy chic lit novel. The end was predictable though it was written rather haltingly, as if the author was limited on words.
Apoorva
May 09, 2015 Apoorva rated it it was ok
the whole story is awe-inspiring and the visualization is tantalizing, but then the climax really disappoints me.
Alice
Nov 14, 2010 Alice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mi sono appassionata alle storie della Daswani: donne indiane profondamente legate alla propria terra di origine, alla propria famiglia, alle tradizioni. Donne che vogliono con tutto il cuore uscire da quei legami familiari che spesso sembrano le sbarre di una gabbia. Donne che si "emancipano" e scelgono, seppur con sommo dolore, di andare a vivere da sole all'estero, lavorare ed affrontare un mondo diversissimo.
Il legame della scrittrice con la sua India deve essere molto stretto, se comunque
Cheryl
Feb 07, 2012 Cheryl rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, religion, reread
This is an enjoyable enough light read. The main character, Tanaya, is naive and new to everything, having spent her whole life in India, and this is portrayed well in the writing style. It makes it easy to follow along with her on her journey, discovering who she really is. Whether this is intentional or not, I don't know. It is an interesting point of view - not just a new model but a Muslim model, not used to being any part of that world. I think so much more could have been done with this as ...more
Priyanka
Mar 29, 2016 Priyanka rated it did not like it
Like the other Kavita Daswani books I have read, this one too started off well enough. Just when I can't take the curiosity anymore, the writer crashes the book for me. The main character is made too emotional and without any depth. At some point I hated the book for making it seem like women can't do certain things or be certain ways. The book also starts to pass judgments on too many lifestyles without needing to. The ending was very off for me. This had such a nice start though!
Zainab
Mar 24, 2011 Zainab rated it really liked it
Salaam, Paris was an interesting read. A young Muslim girl, from a religious family living a good, normal life who found the courage to venture out on her own to a foreign land is practically unheard of in that part of the world. She faces challenges including her family disowning her but I admire her for not only staying strong & facing those challenges head on but also for staying true to her religion regarding alcohol, drugs & pork. I like that it had a happy ending too :)
Jan 16, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was ok
After reading this book, I am honestly disappointed. From the blurb, I had so many high expectations and in the end I was bored. I kept reading hoping the story would get better, but it didn't. This book was so boring and the plot was overdone, it felt too bollywood; overly dramatic. I'm surprised Tanaya (the main character) did not stop in the middle of knowhere to sing a song. Maybe that would have made the story a bit bearable, who knows?
Harpreet
Sep 08, 2007 Harpreet rated it liked it
The story's slightly farfetched. There's quite the emphasis on beauty and the naivety of a sheltered woman coming from India. There's the fulfillment of a dream but the dream seems too much for the dreamer to handle. It's a good story, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't one of the greatest and I wouldn't mind recommending it but it wouldn't be one of those books that jumped off the shelf for me to suggest. It's a story, worth looking into.
Sara Jo
Nov 24, 2012 Sara Jo rated it it was ok
I was really disappointed in the character's so-called religious beliefs. She gave up nearly every shred of morality she was raised with in her new life and when she finally decided to stand up for herself with the guy she was supposed to marry - she completely caved to his ridiculous behavior toward her. It was like the author decided she had to compromise the character at the end just to make sure she had a happy ending.
Robbin
Dec 06, 2012 Robbin rated it really liked it
I love anything that has to do with fashion and modeling, and I love Indian novels...so how about an Indian Muslim girl who becomes an international model? Decent story, fast read, but lacks crucial mother-daughter character development and I got the sense the author was in a hurry to end the story before it was really finished. Overall, not bad, but could've been a little bit better.
Bhavya Bhatia
Apr 02, 2014 Bhavya Bhatia rated it liked it
wow! kavita daswani didn't the let the story lose the sparks throughout the novel. I like the way the protagonist is. its a women centric book about a girl who wants to do something in life and where destiny takes her.

you will fall in love with Tanaya. Daswani describes small details with a good flavour. I enjoyed reading the book. it is an easy read.
Rachel Rogers
Feb 13, 2012 Rachel Rogers rated it really liked it
A new author for me. A new branch of literature. I enjoyed the characters even if they got a bit repetitive at times. Women are certainly objectified, both in the traditional Indian/Muslim society that laces this as well as all over the world in the world of fashion Tanaya enters. Denouement was a little abrupt. I'll look for more by this author.
Crystal
Jul 11, 2008 Crystal rated it liked it
A young woman from India goes to Paris (inspired by Audrey Hepburn in Sabrina) supposedly to meet the man her family has arranged for her to marry. She begins to live a life very different from the one her conservative family would have her choose. I found the multicultural aspects interesting and enjoyed this lighthearted romance.
Margherita Dolcevita
No, decisamente no. Mi erano piaciuti moltissimi gli altri due della Daswani e ho atteso questo con ansia, ma non ci siamo. Intanto scorre troppo velocemente, sembra il riassunto di un romanzo più che un romanzo vero e proprio. Poi tutta la storia è talmente improbabile che in confronto i romance che leggo sono neorealisti.
  • Imaginary Men
  • How It Ended: New and Collected Stories
  • Almost Dead
  • Transgression
  • The Red Carpet: Bangalore Stories
  • Magic Seeds (Willie Chandran, #2)
  • Snapped
Kavita Daswani is an American author who started her career as a journalist for South China Morning Post when she only seventeen. She lived in Hong Kong before moving to Los Angeles.

Now in her thirties, she has written several novels for grown-ups and young adults that represent her passion and love for the Indian culture. In her books, we see how young Indian girls are trying to break away from t
More about Kavita Daswani...