Start by marking “Sammy Keyes and the Hollywood Mummy” as Want to Read:
Sammy Keyes and the Hollywood Mummy

Sammy Keyes and the Hollywood Mummy (Sammy Keyes #6)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,723 ratings  ·  92 reviews
"The most winning junior detective ever in teen lit. (Take that, Nancy Drew!)" —Midwest Children's Book Review

When Sammy finds out that her mother has changed her name, dyed her hair, and shaved ten years off her age, she knows it's time for Lady Lana to get reacquainted with reality.

Sammy hops a bus to Hollywood and finds her mother in deeper trouble than she imagined.
Published May 28th 2002 by Yearling (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Sammy Keyes and the Hollywood Mummy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sammy Keyes and the Hollywood Mummy

Sammy Keyes and her best friend Marissa go to Hollywood to visit Sammy's mom. When they get there, they find out that her mom has changed her name from Lana Keyes to Dominique Windsor. Her mom has also changed her birthday to take 10 years off her age and cut her hair really short. On the first night that Sammy and Marissa are at the place where her mom stays, someone is killed. Sammy tries to solve the mystery, and soon realizes that the person that was supposed to be murdered was her mom. I li ...more
Sammy Keyes and the Hollywood mummy is about two girls- Sammy and Marissa who go to Hollywood to find Sammy's mother. The setting is in Hollywood, and Sammy is the main character. Her mother- Lana Keyes has changed her name to Dominique, dyed her hair, and shaved ten years off her age and Sammy knows that is time for her to find her mother and make her explain everything. So when her competition for the biggest role of her life,is found dead in Dominique's room, it is up to Sammy to find who mu ...more
Wendelin Van Draanen has really done it this time in Sammy Keyes and the Hollywood Mummy. This realistic fiction book is about two girls, Sammy and Marissa, who travel to Hollywood to find and meet Sammy's mother. When they arrive, and finally meet her, they don't get what they expect. Originally Lana Keyes, Sammy's mother is now Dominique. She dyed her hair, and has even made people believe that she is ten years younger than she really is! Dominique isn't what I would call "excited" to see Samm ...more
This book was about a girl named sammy keyes. She solves mysterys and she is also brave. She found another mystery to solve when she found out that a mummy was stolen from a Egyptian museum. Sammys main external conflict was to find out were the mummy was and who stole it. Most of her mysterys are frustrating and scary to find out. And this mystery was one of them.

A connection i can make between Sammy and Alex Rider from Stormbreaker is that they both had a mystery to solve. Sammy needed to find
Teri Gorleski
This book was awsome I think it was the best out of all the Sammy Keyes books so far. But its also kind of scary because getting poked in the ribs by a mummy with a gigantic really sharp pithfork.Yeah you heard me a pithfork. And Sammy started bleeding but she was okay I think.This book was so good I love the way Wendalin Van Draanen kept leaving clues for me and Sammy to follow. One of the clues is when Sammy and Marissa snuck outside Sammy was really smart to notice that Max's office looked bi ...more
I really enjoyed this one, but it definitely skewed to some more mature issues. Sammy and Marissa surprise Sammy's flaky mom who has moved to Hollywood and assumed a fake identity to try to become an actress. There is a murder, drug overdose, illegitimate children, really weird obsessions, and tacit discussion of the desperation and prostitution around Hollywood. I would be happy for my 5th grader to read the first five books and discuss some of the sad family stuff with her, but I don't think I ...more
Even though she would never admit it, Sammy probably grew "closer" you could say to her mom in this book. Well, she saved her life at least.
This book was possibly the first Sammy Keyes book I read all the way back in fifth grade, but it's the only one I still remembered clearly 11 years later, and with good reason. The ending to Hollywood Mummy is completely, wildly over-the-top and unbelievable, but man is it entertaining and creepy. The plot is pretty messed up for a middle-grade read, and it blew my ten year old mind. I didn't love the book as much as I did the first time around (the beginning and early middle drags a little), bu ...more
Michele Wen
As always, Sammy Keyes was amazing. I am always impressed by the stories Wendelin is able to write. The protagonist, Sammy Keyes, goes to Hollywood to visit her movie star mother, who fails at being a parent and leaves Sammy with her grandmother. Sammy definitely did not expect to encounter more crimes and mysteries during her trip to visit her mother. One night while Sammy was sleeping, she heard a thumping noise on the other side of the wall. She did not think much of it at the moment, but the ...more
Muhammad Salman
This is a very nice mystery book that keeps you reading and always predicting. The hero, Sammy Keyes, has a mother that abandoned Sammy, to work in Hollywood. And Lady Lana, Sammy's mom, barely visits Sammy. Now sammy has found out that her mom has changed her name and her entire life and excluded Sammy from her Hollywood life.
Disloyalty between mother and daughter is evident throughout the whole book, because Sammy's mother basically changes her entire life for hollywood. So Sammy now cannot t
This was interesting but not my favorite thus far. Sammy and Marissa travel by bus to Hollywood to find Sammy's mother who wants to be a star. It's pretty twisted and sporadic. Doesn't flow very well like the rest of the stories but I guess that would be true to the disjointed lives people lead in Hollywood eh? I wouldn't recommend this book nor the one before it for elementary school age. Middle school and above would be better.
Frankie Martinez
This book was very interesting. It was still funny, but it's story line was getting more serious. For example, the girls (Samantha and her sister) finally reached their mothers(Lady Lana or Dominique) house and wanted her to be surprised. So when their mom saw them she was more upset at the fact that the girls didn't tell her that she was coming. So she slapped Sam on the face and told her off. Her sister didn't know what to do! They made up but it took a lot of explaining to do.

The book was ok
I really like this series - thank you to my supervisor/friend Sue for recommending it. However, the mention of hookers on the Sunset Strip has motivated me to move the book to the 6th-grade section. That being said, for the second Sammy Keyes Book I've read, I'm impressed with Van Drannen's plot construction.
Sammy Keyes heads for Hollywood to find her mom and confront her about the new identity she has adapted. It bothers her to think about her mother's intentions for changing her identity. When she arrives in Hollywood, she gets sucked into a world of twisted murder plots and odd people. When someone gets murder, she must get to the bottom of the mystery, as her mother might be involved somehow.

I read this book about 1 time every 1-3 years since it feels good to reread this book. It doesn't get old
Edgar Villasenor
Sammy went to Hollywood,and she wanted to go to a party. So when they arrived, she saw her mom. The next day when they woke up, somebody was dead. Sammy thinks it was Max or her mom. I really liked the book because it serious. I recommended this book to the 7th graders.
Sammy Keyes and Marissa take a bus trip to Hollywood to see her mother. While she is there, she solves a mystery.
Umamah W. Zia
Read it when I was 10. I don't think I can fairly review it right now but I do remember enjoying it.
This book takes place in hollywood. Sammy visits her mother without warning. Her mother is very upset with her and tries to return her home. Soon though things get complicated when one of her moms acting friends. Sammy takes up the case to find the murderer.

This book remind me of a detective film. Sammy is pretending to be a detective trying to solve cases. This is like in the movies.

I tghink this book was a bit confusing. A lot of the book was just boring. I thought it was not on point all the
Drew Benbow
This has been, out of the few books I've read out of this series, my favorite yet. This book is a witty and creative story that has never ceased to make me laugh, cry and yell at the top of my voice in sheer surprise all at the same time. The countless unexpected twists, turns and hidden plot points have made this book one of my all time favorite children's books. I'll admit, I was skeptical of this series when I first picked up "Hotel Thief", but given the sly skill and wonderful writing of the ...more
Love this series. Interesting plot twists every time!
These books continue to be very good reads, even when some of the characters don't appear. This one, focusing more on Sammy's relationship with her mother, doesn't contain anyone from previous books except Sammy herself & Marissa, but is still a very enjoyable read. It is definitely shivery at parts, though - these are real mysteries & are heading into older-reader territory.
I remember thinking this one was a little far-fetched, even though I was only twelve when I read it. It's still fun, and it was great to finally meet Lady Lana (is this the one with her awful, embarrassing commercial?), but the events seemed even more unlikely than usual. Oh! But I learned a GREAT way to induce vomiting! So I guess it was a good book after all.
Bethany Sapp
This was an okay book.In this booy Sammy goes to hollywood to visit her mom.When she sees her mom she realizes her mom has completly changed.As a result some other things changed while she was visiting her mom.One change was that Lebrani got killed and a mystery starts to unfold and Sammy tries to come to the bottom of this mystery.
Amy Carr
I usually really love the books in this series...this one dragged on a little too long for me. It was a little confusing and slow in some spots. I wouldn't recommend this particular book in the series...but I still love Sammy Keyes and her adventures. Great books for kids in 5th/6th grade.
It's a wonderful mystery about a girl named Sammy and her friend Marisa, go to visit Sammy's hollywood good-for-nothing-with-Sammy mother. Once they come, a murder takes place in the agency house. Who is it? You can't stop reading until you turn over the last page!
This is my fourth book out of the Sammy Keyes mysteries I have read and this one, so far, is my favorite. I would give it 3-1/2 stars if I could. Sammy is such a great character. She's fun, smart, witty and full of adventure. I still distest her mother!
That was fantastic! Definitely my favorite Sammy Keyes so far. It was a delightfully strange plot, and I loved it. Not to mention that Hali was pretty cool, as was Lana, believe it or not.

Review by:
Oh Sammy! Why do you always have to be the mature one?
Sammy visits her mom in Hollywood and hijinks ensue. Specifically: murder.
This was a great adventure and it was nice to see Sammy taken out of her normal small town setting.
  • Gilda Joyce: The Ladies of the Lake (Gilda Joyce, #2)
  • Rescuing Seneca Crane (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #2)
  • Lulu Dark and the Summer of the Fox
  • Annie's Adventures (Sisters Eight, #1)
  • Deadly Waters (Mysteries in Our National Park, #4)
  • Kitty Kitty (Bad Kitty, #2)
  • How to Disappear Completely and Never Be Found
  • Something Wicked (Horatio Wilkes Mysteries, #2)
  • The Gypsy Game (Game, #2)
  • Stop That Bull, Theseus! (Myth-O-Mania, #5)
  • Murder on the Fourth of July (Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys: Super Mystery, #28)
  • Dial-a-Ghost
  • Betrayal (Lady Grace Mysteries, #2)
Van Draanen was born in Chicago, Illinois. One of her early influences was Dandelion Wine . According to the author, the book was "about the magic of growing up and [it] reminded me of all the wonderful mischief my brothers and I got into when we were young." Bradbury's work inspired Van Draanen to write How I Survived Being a Girl, which was published by HarperCollins in 1997. Other early influe ...more
More about Wendelin Van Draanen...

Sammy Keyes (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Hotel Thief
  • Sammy Keyes and the Skeleton Man (Sammy Keyes, #2)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Sisters of Mercy (Sammy Keyes, #3)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Runaway Elf (Sammy Keyes, #4)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Curse of Moustache Mary (Sammy Keyes, #5)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Search for Snake Eyes (Sammy Keyes, #7)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Art of Deception (Sammy Keyes, #8)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Psycho Kitty Queen (Sammy Keyes, #9)
  • Sammy Keyes And the Dead Giveaway (Sammy Keyes, #10)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Wild Things (Sammy Keyes, #11)

“You want me to be a man,older than you, who goes by the name of Roullard.” 7 likes