Start by marking “The Grateful Undead: They're So Vein” as Want to Read:
The Grateful Undead: They're So Vein

The Grateful Undead: They're So Vein (Grateful Undead #1)

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  114 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
Susan is 58-years-old and bored with life. Middle age is a daily drudge of sagging body parts and aches and pains. Her fervent prayer that she could somehow recapture her youth comes true one night during a chance encounter with a child-like vampire. As soon as the other women in her family see the transformation they waste no time in sticking their necks out, hoping Susan ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Black Matrix Publishing LLC (first published April 9th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Grateful Undead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grateful Undead

Carlyle Clark
Aug 20, 2011 Carlyle Clark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Susan Stec's THE UNGRATEFUL DEAD: THEY'RE SO VEIN, is a rip-snorting satire on all things vampiric and paranormal. If comedy lurks on the other side of any societal boundary, you can be certain Susan's characters will sashay across it without a backwards glance.

Rather than following the current convention of brooding immortals, Susan gives us a zany family of middle-aged and elderly women suddenly returned to the prime of their youth (albeit an undead youth), with the bonuses of being gorgeous v
chucklesthescot
I'm always wary about books that claim to be funny as I rarely find them funny and this was the case with this book.

OK I can see why other people found the book amusing. But for me, I just found it plain annoying to watch a group of mature women acting like young kids in the playground. It was all very immature and tiresome and I gave myself a headache from all the rolling of my eyes skyward as the situations got more ridiculous. They were pouting, whining, sulking and calling each other names l
DelSheree
Aug 17, 2012 DelSheree rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All Susan wants is to get her phone over the bathroom stall wall so she can record the woman fighting with her seriously bratty child and post it on her website. One awkward fall later, and she lands herself in a mess of trouble. Becoming a vampire wasn’t quite what she meant she prayed for a more youthful body. To make things even worse, when her vain family members get a look at her new body they can’t wait to get a piece for themselves.

I mentioned in yesterday’s post how much I enjoyed the h
Livvie
Dec 19, 2012 Livvie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving this one 2 and a half stars and going to try the next in the series to see if it gets better.

The biggest issues with this story: 1. Way to much use of foul language, I was starting to wonder if these people could have a conversation without dropping God and damn together. 2. It dragged quite a bit in places, making you feel like there was no forward progress. 3. I felt almost like I was reading a Lynsay Sands fanfiction with a few other popular vamp books thrown in, not because of the
BK Blue
I liked the premise better before I actually started reading it. Jesus Christ that family is annoying as hell. So are the rest of the characters. The whole book is them bitching at each other. I'm not kidding.

The grandmother had a couple funny lines and the one actual sex scene was hot. Those are the only reasons why this even got 3 stars. I thought the child vampire idea would be interesting, but even Christopher was annoying for most of the book.

I was disappointed with this book, and at mysel
Natasha Larry
Sep 16, 2015 Natasha Larry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! I’ve never read anything like it, which is always a win in my book. At first, when I saw it was about vampires, I wasn’t sure, but I haven’t read a vampire novel in a while, so I wanted to give it a try. Another thing that made me want to give the book a try was the cover. Yes, I’m a sucker for a great cover, and this book has a great cover. Anyway, I’m glad the first vampire novel I’ve read in a while was this one! First, a brief over view. Susan, a middle-aged woman who is b ...more
Suki Michelle
Oct 08, 2011 Suki Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I took a chance on this novel because I really like Sookie Stackhouse and True Blood on HBO and I've already read all of Christopher Moore's stuff and this looked like it was something similar. I'm happy that I did because even though it doesn't have the "chills up the spine" moments of True Blood, it's incredibly funny and a great light page-turner. Really looking forward to the sequel!
Jeanne Bannon
Sep 09, 2011 Jeanne Bannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Susan Stec's wrting is delightful, hilarious and very entertaining. This is a vampire/supernatural novel like you've never read before. It is unique and refreshing. The Grateful Undead is filled with wonderful characters that you'll wish you knew personally and will keep you wanting more. I, for one, am grateful she's writing a series as one book is simply not enough. I loved it!
Audra Middleton
May 01, 2012 Audra Middleton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Grateful Undead By Susan Stec
I love the idea of a humor-based vampire series. Susan’s characters are a total crack-up and I truly enjoy the mad-cap adventures they get themselves into. Plus she’s got some sexy stuff in there too, so it’s a full-on entertainment package. If you don’t mind a little blood, sex, and swearing, you’re sure to enjoy this one.
Alice
Aug 08, 2015 Alice rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Is this really funny?

Jerry Springer set becomes vampires. Some people may enjoy this. Some people watch Jerry Springer. These family members had little connection with each other, no concern about anyone becoming a vampire, whether another member wants to join or not, and if they need to ask permission from a donor. I could not connect or care about anyone in this book and had to stop at one third into it. I read until the Hero was introduced and he's no winner either. Stake them all.

This is ver
Angela Fristoe
May 07, 2011 Angela Fristoe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read an advanced version of this book, and it was hilarious! The characters are a riot and shed an entirely new light on vampires. This promises to be great series!
Kristin
Apr 06, 2015 Kristin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A unique take on the traditional vampire tale. My only real criticism is the catty confusing female family fights. One because its just annoying. And two because one or two of these outbursts are hard to follow, thus throwing me out of the story. And I usually love snark...so something didn't flow in these parts. I also didn't like JoAnn, but I don't think we're supposed to. I would've drained her and left her for dead, family or not.

The surprising parts were that the first two vamps you see ar
Wende
Oct 11, 2015 Wende rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-m
Susan was a great character. Funny if a bit over the top. I could not get enough of her and her family of misfits. Nothing is sacred as the girls go from one madcap missteps to another. From the vampire child,the animals, and then to a nympho grandma. I loved how I laughed so hard my stomach hurt. This was a different take on vampires and this book did not take itself seriously. I hope poor Christopher who is a cursing century old toddler gets to grow up. After Susan he is my favorite. Susan and ...more
Timothy Bateson
Dec 04, 2015 Timothy Bateson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When vanity turns a whole family into vampires, be prepared for laughs

The Grateful Undead starts out strong with They're So Vein. Susan Stec takes the old vampire stories, myths, and legends and turns them on their heads. From the very start, Susan's family make us laugh with their interpersonal relationships, familial quirks, and outlandish personalities.
I picked this book up because I was lucky enough to win the second book in a Facebook contest that Susan hosts for the All Hallows Reads even
Launi
Aug 10, 2011 Launi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
Very funny take on vampires!! Any supernatural readers would love this book.
Melinda James
May 19, 2011 Melinda James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny beyond belief! I laughed from page one through the last page.
Shelana
Jun 08, 2011 Shelana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny Book, can't wait for volume 2!
Glenn Harris
Oct 26, 2014 Glenn Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This hilarious paranormal romp features a highly dysfunctional family of women who become vampires without a clue about what it really means or what the rules are. They just want to be immortal and hot. Suffice it to say they are not a welcome addition to the vampire community. First of a series and I'm looking forward to reading more.
John D.
Fun fun fun

Great fun. Light earthy reading. Perfect romance novel with vampires and supernatural. Good travel or beach book. Good cast of characters that should hold up for the series. Good synergy with plenty of room for character development.
Ruth Casey May
Jul 14, 2014 Ruth Casey May rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Humorous vampire story

I don't normally read vampire stories, but this one kept me laughing! Accidental vampires, rabid racoon, vampire squirrels, trolls,fairies in the garden, even a vampire gator . . . . a hilarious read!
Kaysee Pigford
May 14, 2015 Kaysee Pigford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hilarious!!!

This book will make you very happy. I laughed so hard my neighbors could hear me. Maniacal giggles, lost breath. Treat yourself to hilarious insanity.
Amy Gable
Amusing story. Looking forward to the next in the series
Michelle
May 17, 2013 Michelle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
20% complete: I expected humor but sadly this falls flat. So far the only thing I see are mature adults acting as adolescents.

47% done and all hope is lost! This book is like watching a rodent on a plastic wheel - it keeps going around and around without really going anywhere!

Sadly I have to advise - don't bother! I thought this had potential but it was not to be! I'm moving on to better things! :-)
Meggin
Jun 28, 2012 Meggin rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-readers
I received this through First Reads Giveaways. I found it to be quite funny. I love the new spin on vampires. I really enjoyed reading this book. I have read many vampire books and this series is on I will continue to follow. I have already purchased the next book in the series Gator Baitin' on my Nook. I hope hope there will be many more to come. I'm looking forward to it.
Ian McClellan
Jun 08, 2013 Ian McClellan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like to laugh and aren't all uppity
The characters in this book were great and reminded me of what my own very dysfunctional family would be like if we were all female and undead. A great story and a lot of humor that made me want to keep turning pages even when I couldn't. I was going to give it a four but went with a five because of all the awesome foul language.
Jun 27, 2011 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
I received this book from Good Read's First Reads.

It was AWFUL! I didn't make it through the first page. I did skim a bit through the rest and it looked like more of the same. The language was terrible, crass. I'd give it zero stars if possible. Avoid at all costs.
Tiffany
Jul 25, 2012 Tiffany rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

Eh not really loving this style
Nico Reid
Nico Reid marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Brandolin
Brandolin marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Tine'
Tine' rated it it was ok
May 11, 2016
  • Nancy's Theory of Style
  • Compact with the Devil
  • Endlessly (Endlessly, #1)
  • Survival (The Island of Serenity #1)
  • Good Girls
  • Adelaide Confused
  • Out of Touch
  • Haunted Honeymoon (Casa Dracula, #4)
  • These Hellish Happenings
  • Crash Gordon and the Mysteries of Kingsburg
  • Girl 99
  • Please Tell Me I'm On Mute
  • Inside Evil
  • Meg's Moment
  • Whispers from the Grave
  • The Vengeful Vampire (Serenity, #0)
  • Demon Lord (Demon Lord, #1)
  • Please Fire Me: Posts from the Revolting Workplace
From USA Today Bestselling Author Susan Stec,

I love laughing with my daughters, class B scary movies, fine cuisine and hamburgers from Wendy's. I'm addicted to electronics, dark chocolate, vintage eyeglass frames, and fuzzy warm socks.

There isn't just one thing I'm passionate about. I'm married to a wonderful man, have two adult daughters, three grandsons, and three dogs. I live on fifty acres, hu
More about Susan Stec...

Grateful Undead (3 books)
  • Gator Baitin' (The Grateful Undead series #2)
  • Blood, Sweat and Demon Tears (The Grateful Undead series #3)