Start by marking “Temptation” as Want to Read:
Temptation

Temptation

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  911 ratings  ·  104 reviews
I always wanted to be rich. I know that probably sounds crass, but it’s the truth. A true confession. Like all would-be Hollywood screenwriters, David Armitage wants to be rich and famous. But for the past eleven years, he’s tasted nothing but failure. Then, out of nowhere, big-time luck comes his way when one of his scripts is bought for television. Be ...more
Published April 24th 2012 by Atria Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Temptation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Temptation

Nicola
Mar 25, 2008 Nicola rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of higher quality easy-reading books!
Having read several other Douglas Kennedy books I thought I'd give this one a go and wasn't disappointed. This is the first one I've read that wasn't written from a woman's perspective (something I found particularly impressive about the other books seeing as the writer is a man) but it was still a pageturner. Didn't make me think as much as his other books, but was still worth the read.
Susanne
I remember where I was whilst reading this book, my husband and I were house sitting for a friend, I was pregnant and kept getting interrupted by my now son doing summersaults when I was in bed trying to read! Other than that I remember thinking that this book was a bit tame, lame, disappointing compared to his earlier works.
Tracey Tester
I've read quite a few books by this author and this was the first one that wasn't written from the female perspective - perhaps that was why I didn't enjoy it quite as much as previous books.

The story line was okay - but I did feel it was fairly predictable.
Denise
Jan 30, 2011 Denise rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Witty, dark humor, good plot, great character development
Recommended to Denise by: Nobody
Shelves: fiction
I'm relatively new to Douglas Kennedy but I have not been disappointed by any of his books. This book is no exception. It's the story of an aspiring writer who made the big time, lost it and then got it back again. Loved it!
Megan
Another great read from Kennedy though not quite enjoyable as 'State of the Union', to be fair, 'State of the Union' was partly set in the late 60's and that might have something to do with why I preferred it.
Melissa S
Another very enjoyable read! There is something about Douglas Kennedy books, each one keeps me captivated till the final page.

Zohar - ManOfLaBook.com
Temp­ta­tion by Dou­glas Kennedy is a fic­tional book which takes the reader on a ride from the height of suc­cess to the lows in life. What hap­pens when a gilded door opens to a man who sud­denly has ample oppor­tu­ni­ties and Hol­ly­wood clout?

David Armitage, a Hol­ly­wood screen writer, has got­ten his big break. One of his scripts was bought for TV and hailed as inge­nious.
David rein­vents him­self, walks out on his wife and daugh­ter and is hired by Philip Fleck, a bil­lion­aire, to work o
Jillian
I keep scratching my head and wondering why it is that every other review I’ve read of this book talks about how utterly amazing it is and I keep asking myself why I felt bored while I was reading it. Other reviews of Temptation: A Novel by Douglas Kennedy discuss how “thrilling the ride” is while turning the pages and how they were “enraptured by the story” and I just keep thinking, “Really? Because I had a hard time forcing myself to pick it up.”

Initially, the story did start off with a promis
Rebecca Haslam
The first book I read during my week away, I picked up this book on the back of having read his previous work 'The Pursuit Of Happiness' and was surprised at the change in his writing and the story.
I identified with this book in the sense that it tells the story of a man who reaches the biggest heights of success, that many of us can only dream of, before being faced with a struggle to maintain his position - haven't we all had to fight for something we've worked hard for now and again?
The book
Matthew Schroth
Temptation is a classic tale of the dangers of ambition. David Armitrage, the main character, struggles for much of his early career in virtual anonymity trying to make it as a screenwriter. Finally he gets his pay day, and is quick to forget those who stuck with him through the hard times to get him there. Only David forgets that fame is cheap and Hollywood fickle. The stars quickly align to give David his comeuppance.

Kennedy is a brilliant writer, and the reader is quick to sympathize with Da
Nolagirl
The lesson of this book is, "Be careful what you wish for. You might get it." David Armitage, a struggling screen writer, finally gets his big break and becomes an in-demand Hollywood writer with all of the benefits that go along with the job. He suddenly has more money than he's ever had in his life, entry into all the glamorous places, and attention from very important people. Of course, the success doesn't last and David soon finds himself alone and penniless again.

The plot is very predicta
Lucinda
Accessible and relateable to anyone who suffers from too much ambition: As a complete departure from his earlier book, THE MOMENT, an epic historical novel I also loved, based in Cold War Era Berlin, TEMPTATION demonstrates Douglas Kennedy's creativity and writing abilities in adapting to an entirely new subject matter: the insidious world of Hollywood, the corruption and "temptation" of fame, the illusion of success that is never quite as good as it seemed from afar. I think of the anti-hero Da ...more
Shuzhan
Although I found it hard to relate it to any part of my life, and I was not quite satisfied with the ending ( a bit of cliché, I thought, and Martha and he didn't work out in that way.), still this book is worth a try.

From this book, I learned 5 things.
1, Never remarry.
2, Being responsible for your children.
3, Sometimes things just happen. Let it be.
4, (As the ending suggests, forget about pondering all such impossible questions), working is the best remedy.
5, Have a grateful heart.
Linnet
After 13 years of trying, David Artmitage finds success in Hollywood with a tv show. He is making big money, and leading the life he's always dreamed of. He leaves his wife and daughter, latches on to a woman influential at the Fox Network and basks in fame and fortune. But the tide always does turn, and David discovers what and who) really matters in life.
Marian
"Kennedy's characters embark on long, complex, provocative journeys, and their ultimate strength is that - like the writer - they can throw off bright sparks in the dark." - Colum McCann. I don't know why it took me so long to discover Douglas Kennedy, but I'm glad I did!
Maryse
At first I was a bit disappointed. I had enjoyed 'A Special Relationship' very much and expected more from this author. However by the middle of the book I became hooked and very much enjoyed the second half.
Donna Huber
This was an entertaining read. Douglas is an excellent storyteller. Read my full review at Girl Who Reads .
Ann
What a slow and boring book. I could not finish it it was getting more and more tedious. I did get half way and maybe it gets better but there is too much out there to read.
Judith Giordan
Un peu long à demarrer comme les 2 autres que j'ai déjà lu...

Je n'accroche décidement pas...
nine
pas le meilleur de l'auteur que j'aie lu jusque là, mais douglas, quoi !
Leini
It is such an interesting book. It describes a man's success and fall in life. It conveys the theme that success is not eternal. The most interesting about this book is the character, Philip Fleck. He is such an odd person and I wondered if there exists such a man in the world. Also, its realistic description of internal conflicts of a man regarding choices for success is awesome. I highly recommend this book to everyone regardless of age or gender. You will be able to explore human's desires of ...more
Paola
Lori
From lit agent
Kellie
I think this was the 3rd Douglas Kennedy books I've read. It wasn't as good as the others, but it wasn't terrible. The thing I liked most about it was the lesson it taught. When people gain fame and fortune, they lose themselves. They are so caught up in the fame and money they lose sight of the person they are. Sometimes they end up more unhappy then before they had the money. David Armitage is a Hollywood writer, married with a young daughter. Over the years, he has barely made ends meet. When ...more
julie
i'm still on my kennedy reading jag and this is not one of kennedy's best. it sounds odd to say that he should really stick to women main characters, but he should. he gets inside their heads in an authentic way much better. or maybe his women characters are just more likeable (not that i think that's something that every character should be - somehow i love raskolnikov and he's not really very likeable). i wasn't fond of David so when it all fell apart for him, i was a little bit, well, meh. to ...more
KyBunnies
This novel starts out with David telling us that he always wanted to be rich. Well who does not want to be rich? It is something everyone would like to have unlimited supply of money. David is a screenwriter trying to get a big break in Hollywood. I really wonder how many people there really are in that area trying to get a break. Everyone knows of someone that wants to be either an actor or singer/songwriter. To be rich to have fans constantly wanting to meet you, to have fans screaming your na ...more
Jeff
I won this book through a Goodreads raffle.

David Armitage is a struggling writer, who, for the last ten years has been working as a book store clerk while his wife works as a telemarketer. One day, David hits it big. A script for a TV show is bought by a major production company and his agent has signed a seven digit deal for him literally overnight. But with this new found fortune and fame, a very high price has to be paid by David and his family.

Years ago I read "The Big Picture" by Douglas K
Sabrina Laitinen
There is a great underlying message in this book! It teaches to count one's blessings, take nothing for granted, and remain humble.

Dave is a struggling writer working at a dead-end job when he gets the berak of a lifetime. One of his works is put into television production and he becomes an overnight success. As he rides on his laurels, he discovers a whole new life like he has never known before, and along with his newfound fame comes consequences. He leaves his wife and daughter for a relation
Dr.
I have read books by Douglas Kennedy in the past. This book is written with the same style of turns,twists,ups and downs. Mr. Kennedy's books are like riding a roller coaster---you either enjoy the ride or you don't. This is why I believe reviews for his books tend to always be positive or totally negative.
The writing style is simple. A reader can sit back and just enjoy the experience without having to think or analyze what is before them.
This book is a lesson in what our mothers always taught
  • River's End (The Inn at Shining Waters, #3)
  • Landslide
  • The Road to Mercy
  • A Dash of Murder (Pecan Bayou Series #1)
  • Gallagher's Hope (Gallagher, #2)
  • A Taste of Chardonnay (The Napa Wine Heiresses, #1)
  • Meow If It's Murder
  • Stella and Dane: A Honky Tonk Romance
  • Mother of Pearl
  • An Intimate Murder
  • She Wulf (Annie Loves Cham, #2)
  • Share the Moon
  • Train Station Bride (Crawford Family, #1)
  • Callie's Heart (Lasso Springs #1)
  • Key to Love
  • Rotter World
  • Prelude to Reveille:  A Vietnam Awakening
  • Mad World: Epidemic
Douglas Kennedy was born in Manhattan in 1955. He studied at Bowdoin College, Maine and Trinity College, Dublin, returning to Dublin in 1977 with just a trenchcoat, backpack and $300. He co-founded a theatre company and sold his first play, Shakespeare on Five Dollars a Day, to Radio 4 in 1980. In 1988 he moved to London and published a travel book, Beyond the Pyramids. His debut novel The Dead He ...more
More about Douglas Kennedy...
The Pursuit Of Happiness The Moment Leaving the World The Big Picture The Woman in the Fifth