Start by marking “Clever John” as Want to Read:
Clever John

Clever John (Maiden Lane #2.5)

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  415 ratings  ·  38 reviews
A delightful fairy tale from the New York Times bestselling author Elizabeth Hoyt. CLEVER JOHN gives readers an early glimpse inside Hoyt's next Maiden Lane novel, SCANDALOUS DESIRES. Extended preview of SCANDALOUS DESIRES included.
Published October 8th 2011 by Grand Central Publishing (first published October 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Clever John, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clever John

The Rebel's Promise by Jane GodmanThe Raven Prince by Elizabeth HoytWicked Intentions by Elizabeth HoytThe Serpent Prince by Elizabeth HoytScandalous Desires by Elizabeth Hoyt
Georgian Romance (1714 - 1810)
111th out of 196 books — 182 voters
Magick Weaved on a Samhain Eve by V.J. ChisholmRebound by Sabrina YorkThe Lesson Plan by Jackie BarbosaOnly Us by Susan MalleryA Fool Again by Eloisa James
Best Short Romantic Fiction
47th out of 76 books — 33 voters

More lists with this book...

Anne OK
Free on Amazon for Kindle users:

This is a "fairy tale" prequel offered by Elizabeth Hoyt as an additional peek into Silence and Mickey's story in "Scandalous Desires" to be released on October 18th. Cute and well-written with additional excerpts from "Scandalous Desires" that just whets my appetite even more. Every little piece of info I get on Charming Mickey and Silence's new book just feeds the need. And I'm still placing my bet on the "Ghost" being Winter!
OK, this freebie prequel to Charming Mickey's book was fantabulous!! Although it did make me want the book that much faster. I have to admit that I was worried about reading an entire book filled with that accent of his, but this extended preview made me realize how incredibly sexy it could be to hear a man talk to me that way. I know that's weird, but there it is. The fairy tale was a nice peek into how the story is going to play out, too. I can't wait!!
Duchess Mer
Just a uber short fairytale.
Originally posted on my blog:

Anyone who has read Elizabeth Hoyt’s work knows that she includes a fairytale in each of her books. The fairytales are told bit by bit at the beginning of each chapter and they complement or mirror what is going on in the book. Clever John is the fairytale Ms. Hoyt has written for her spectacular third Maiden Lane book, Scandalous Desires.

Even if you’re reading Clever John as a standalone fairytale, it’s a delightful read.
Don't waste your time. If you are reading the other Maiden Lane books by this author, Clever John is actually the fairy tale that is broken up at the beginning of every chapter in "Scandalous Desires". There is no need to purchase this ebook and read it separately.

The story is good, but as it is included in the other book, it is unnecessary in its current form.
Kristina Hoerner
I thought I was getting a 50 page short story. It was actually a 10 page story with 40 pages of her next book. This was a fairy tale about Clever John who, with his brothers, goes out to guard his uncle (the king)'s cherry tree. I can't recommend this one but it may be that I am just not crazy about fairy tales and I feel gypped by the length.
oh Mickey, you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind.....
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
I'm not a fairy tale person but this one by Elizabeth Hoyt is a delight. A spin-off from her Maiden Lane series--which, like all of her works, features an original fairy tale snippet--it can be read in one sitting. I'm slowly making my way through the Maiden Lane series; Silence's story is next!
Dottie Legatos
Charming fairy tale novella that ties in with Elizabeth Hoyt's Maiden Lane series.
very short story and first 3 chapters of Maiden Lane #3
Odd. It was free.
Jan 13, 2015 Jody marked it as to-read
Shelves: kindle
Just the fairy tale uninterrupted and a preview of Silence' s story.
Sheila Melo
Promotion for Scandalous Desires

This is really just a promotion for Scandalous Desires. It has an extended preview for the novel. It also has the fairy tale that graces that book in full. It was very interesting reading the fairy tale as a full story but there is not much else here.

But it is certainly nice as a promo and Hoyt has a nice introduction that emphasis her love for fairy tales.
I haven't read much Elizabeth Hoyt, so I am glad for Clever John, it is a free read that gives us a long preview of Scandalous Desires. I was interested in Scandalous Desires before Clever John but now it is going to be a must buy. I really do wish other authors would do this because sometimes a kindle sample or one from the authors website just isn't enough to help you decide if the books for you.
Miley the Book Junkie Reads . . .
Clever John was not quite as clever as his names makes him out to be. Or at least not very quick on the up take of things. Hoyt has a way about making the little shorts that start each chapter of her books relate to the story. Here I find that Clever John's tale left me wanting.
Ann Marie
As a glimpse of what to expect from Scandalous Desires this is a definite 5 stars but as a stand alone fairy tale it is 3 stars. So combined I give it 4 stars.
I feel like I'm cheating adding this to my 'read' shelf. It is only the fairy tale for Scandalous Desires which is included in the book. But this way the fairy tale can be read in its entirety instead of paragraph at a time. Starting the book now...
Andrea Jackson
Kind of a cast off. It's the "fairy tale" that introduces the chapters of Thief of Shadows.
Love, love, love Ms. Hoyt and her fairy tales! I cannot WAIT to read the full story of Silence and Charming Mickey!

Re-read this aloud to my grandsons (ages 3 and 5) A great good night story!
Minus a star for not completing the whole story. For the full, complete, and impeccable version, you'd have to read Scandalous Desires. By the way, this story is less than 10 pages long.
Five stars for her introduction and this sweet little tale that reminded me of all the hours I spent reading Andrew Lang's Fairy books (I think Green was my favorite?)!
This story was very short, but a freebee, so it was worth the money I paid for it. I had never heard of this particular fairy tale before and enjoyed it.
Nov 14, 2011 KyBunnies rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Historical readers
Recommended to KyBunnies by:
This is a short wonderful fairy tale by Elizabeth Hoyt. I so enjoy all the fairy tales in her novels. This was a free book in the Kindle store.
I liked both stories however, Clever John was only 10% of the book with the preview of Scandalous Desires being the remainder.
Carla Krissinger
You don't need to read. If you've read Scandalous Desires, you've read this in its entirety. Thankfully it was free
The Fairy tale of Clever John which is told in Scandalous Desires, Maiden Lane #3.
Rather sweet little mini-fairytale and essay by Elizabeth Hoyt.
Enojed the teaser can't wit to read more about silence and Mickey
Weekly Romance: 11/16 (Sunday Quick Read) - Clever John by Elizabeth Hoyt 1 1 Jan 30, 2015 01:04PM
  • The French Maid
  • Storming the Castle (Fairy Tales, #1.5)
  • An Illicit Engagement (The Gentlemen Next Door, #2)
  • Vanquished (The Roxbury Trilogy, #1)
  • A Regency Holiday
  • Siren
  • His Not So Sensible Miss (A Gentleman's Guide to Once Upon a Time #3)
  • Dead Drop: A Lawson Vampire Bonus Story
  • Confessions of a Naughty Headmaster
  • Lucien's Fall
  • The Wary Widow (Wetherby Brides, #3)
  • The Hidden Heiress
  • Hot Under the Collar (Lords of Lancashire #2)
  • Mad about the Duke (Bachelor Chronicles, #7)
  • Lady Maggie's Secret Scandal (The Duke's Daughters, #2; Windham, #5)
  • Claiming the Duchess (Fitzhugh Trilogy, #0.5)
  • Marry Me (Reidsville, #2)
  • Texas Hold Him
Elizabeth Hoyt is a New York Times bestselling author of historical romance. She also writes deliciously fun contemporary romance under the name Julia Harper. Elizabeth lives in central Illinois with three untrained dogs, two angelic but bickering children, and one long-suffering husband.
More about Elizabeth Hoyt...

Maiden Lane (10 books)
  • Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1)
  • Notorious Pleasures (Maiden Lane, #2)
  • Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3)
  • Thief of Shadows (Maiden Lane, #4)
  • Lord of Darkness (Maiden Lane, #5)
  • Duke of Midnight (Maiden Lane, #6)
  • Darling Beast (Maiden Lane, #7)
  • Dearest Rogue (Maiden Lane, #8)
  • Sweetest Scoundrel (Maiden Lane, #9)
  • Duke of Sin (Maiden Lane, #10)
The Raven Prince (Princes Trilogy, #1) To Beguile a Beast (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #3) Scandalous Desires (Maiden Lane, #3) Wicked Intentions (Maiden Lane, #1) To Seduce a Sinner (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #2)

“After a childhood reading fairy tales and myths, is it any wonder that when I began to write my own stories I included fairy tales? Fairy tales are storytelling at its most basic. They’ve been with mankind for as long as people have told stories to each other. Fairy tales speak to something intrinsic in humans—they touch our most primitive selves. How else to explain that the Cinderella story is told in nearly every society on earth? To think of fairy tales as merely stories for children is to ignore thousands of years when fairy tales were used to teach morality, to warn, and to entertain both children and adults.” 2 likes