The Prince from SmarterComics

The Prince from SmarterComics

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  26 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Betrayal, shifting power dynamics, and cybercrime welcome to the 21st century version of The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli. SmarterComics has updated what is arguably one of the most influential texts in world history for the digital era.

These crisply illustrated panels explore the relationship between Roxie, a brilliant young computer programmer/hacker, and Theodore, a m...more
Published November 1st 2011 by SmarterComics (first published October 11th 2011)

Kristen
A review of this adaptation of The Prince should begin with a caveat. You can take a semester-worth of reading Machiavelli's The Prince in college. Thinking you've read and grasped Machiavelli via a 62-page comic is pretty unrealistic. What's more, Machiavelli's understanding of power is something that I suspect either comes naturally to people or not... and if not, they'll have a difficult time retaining power. (As Machiavelli points out. Do I know that because I just read this SmarterComic? Hm...more
Michelle
I won The Prince as part of a firstreads giveaway, and was pretty excited to get a graphic novel. I figured it was more of a study aid, but apparently SmarterComics aims at businesspeople, so they blended a business story of Roxie, social media whiz-kid, and Johnny her friend and eventual betrayer. Text from Machiavelli's famous treatise is interspersed together with the Roxie-Johnny story, so that both of them are hard to follow. The illustrations are of low-quality, newsprint style. The charac...more
KyBunnies
While this book is a little different is was still a good read. I have not read the original full-length novel but I believe will try and find the time after this. To me this comic book is more aimed at teenager's or young adults than the older generation. But if reading this comic book starts someone on the road to reading them I am all for it.

The graphics were in black & white and I would of like to see what they looked like in color but that in no way takes away from the book.

This book...more
Shane Cormier
Excellent book. Thanks for the win. What a great way to introduce the youth to the classics. Through the eyes of art and the graphic novel. WIN WIN. Thanks again. Only thing Im not too sure about is first I see the word Moloch. This is the great owl that is seen in Bohemian Grove. Also I saw 666 on a building and I also see the bull shadow everywhere. Kind of sounds like you are calling America the big satan. Not to sure if I like the tone but Im all about free speech. Guess I love my country. D...more
Linda
May 10, 2012 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 16 years and older
Recommended to Linda by: first read good read
Shelves: first-read
The Smart Comics are a great learning tool. Taking a complicated message and simplifying with graphics and story to relate to the now generation. A fun way to motivate someone into learning.
Mary
Nov 28, 2011 Mary marked it as to-read
Shelves: first-reads, own, received
I won The Prince from SmarterComics from First Reads. I look forward to reading it now that its arrived and seeing how Machiavelli has been interpreted in Graphic Novel form.
Veronica
I liked this comic book. It is a better understanding of the prince novel with great illustrations that will help you look foward to reading it.
Trish
Dec 07, 2011 Trish rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: won
What a great book. It is going to be a gift for a high school senior. I'm sure he will love it. Thank you so much for the book.
Katy
May 13, 2012 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Katy by: Goodreads First Reads
Shelves: first-reads-book
Book Info: Genre: Graphic Novelization of Classic Reading Level: Adult

Disclosure: I received a free paperback copy of this graphic novelization from the Goodreads First Reads program in exchange for an honest review.

Synopsis: AN ILLUSTRATED TALE OF POWER, BETRAYAL AND REVENGE— welcome to the 21st century version of The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli. SmarterComics has updated what is arguably one of the most influential texts in world history for the digital era.

These crisply illustrated panels...more
Amaris Jimenez
I received this book through good reads giveaways. It compiles Machiavelli's The prince very well into concise statement which follow a visual narrative. This is not the spark notes of the comic world but it does give the reader a brief overview of "The Prince" while allowing the reader to have a visual and more contemporary story paralleling Machiavelli's story of The Prince. I did enjoy the book. The only fault I found was that I would have preferred the book delve deeper into the subject matt...more
Lisa
An interesting concept, but overall pretty forgettable
Stiliyan Baltadzhiev
Stiliyan Baltadzhiev marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Yalemzewd
Yalemzewd marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Kiljoy616
Kiljoy616 marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2013
Ahmed Oraby
Ahmed Oraby marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Valerie
Valerie marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013
Max Spring
Max Spring marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2013
Zach
Zach marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2013
Blake Brooks
Blake Brooks marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2013
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2013
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2012
Chris Lippay
Chris Lippay marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2012
Marie Enger
Marie Enger marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Are all Politicians Corrupt? 2 3 Jan 29, 2014 05:00PM
Niccolò di Bernardo dei Machiavelli was an Italian political philosopher, musician, poet, and romantic comedic playwright. He is a figure of the Italian Renaissance and a central figure of its political component, most widely known for his treatises on realist political theory (The Prince) on the one hand and republicanism (Discourses on Livy) on the other.
More about Niccolò Machiavelli...
The Prince The Discourses The Art of War Mandragola The Prince and Other Writings