Start by marking “100 Unfortunate Days” as Want to Read:

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  81 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Warning: This book might NOT be for you.

A black hearted diary--and not for the faint of heart.

If you found a diary you might take a peek--if you found the diary of a madwoman, how could you turn away.

100 UNFORTUNATE DAYS book brings a realization that the mad walk among us--and me BE us.
Published September 30th 2011 by Blackbird

To ask other readers questions about 100 Unfortunate Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Unfortunate Days

Life is a Circus Run by a Platypus by Allison HawnHouse of Leaves by Mark Z. DanielewskiCoraline by Neil GaimanA Clockwork Orange by Anthony BurgessAlice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Bizarre books
8th out of 208 books — 249 voters
100 Unfortunate Days by Penelope CroweOnce Upon a Road Trip by Angela N. BlountGatsby's Smile by Morana BlueThe Surgeon's Blade by Faith MortimerThe Assassins' Village by Faith Mortimer
Indie Chicks Cafe
1st out of 106 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

M.L. Roos
Today's Five STAR Have you ever read a book that scared you? As a horror writer, book reviewer and editor, I have read thousands of books. None have affected me as much as The Exorcist, and now, 100 Unfortunate Days.
Penelope Crowe has written an innocuous tale.....at first glance. A thought provoking story about a woman trapped in her own mind and who writes out her thought process day by day then takes us with her on this journey of a lost soul. She writes about life. Having babies and how depr
Heather Adkins
There are books that touch your soul. Books that make you think. Books that are so eloquently written, so inside the narrator's mind, that you forget where you start and the book begins. Crowe has crafted a journal of 100 days that can make you laugh, sigh, and frown all in one "day". Theological, anti-spiritual, psychological, just plain weird... Crowe has a grasp of the reality and truth of this world and life that many others could never put into words - though they understand it to be true. ...more
Walter Eckland
This is one powerfully written book

100 Unfortunate Days is a fast read, a troubling read but also a great read.

From the first page of 100 Unfortunate Days you are transported instantly into the mind of the main character. It is a troubled mind. This is not a normal person. Then again, maybe it is. The personality of the main character instantly comes strongly through. While it is not a normal personality parts of it may be in people you know.

Penelope has a very consistent, crisp and clean writ
Paul Dail
From my blog www.pauldail.com- A horror writer's not necessarily horrific blog

The narrator of 100 Unfortunate Days starts out by telling us, “The pain behind my eye reminds me I have worms in my brain.”

The first time I heard of spirochetes was in Vonnegut’s introduction to Breakfast of Champions, where he talks about the corkscrew bacteria which afflict poor souls in the last stages of syphilis. It is an image which stuck with me. A little research will tell you that this particular phylum of b
Jonathan
Full disclosure: I started this book when I was laid up in the hospital, high on pain-killers, and recovering from a painful kidney stone (is there any other kind?). I’m not sure if that should predispose me to liking this story or hating it, but there is that factor. I mean, that said, as soon as I started the book, I began raving to my then-fiancee about the brilliance of what I was reading. I still stand by my statement.

I cut a lot of my real literary teeth on Beat writing. From Kerouac to Gi
M.L. John
This book read like the stream-of-consciousness diary of a woman losing her mind. I wasn't sure what I was getting into when I read it, and at first, I wasn't sure if it was fiction or the actual thoughts of someone suffering from mental illness. I thought, there's no story to this, but there is. It's buried in the ramblings. Strange and dark, this book left me with a heavy chill that wouldn't let me sleep even after I put it down. The spookiest part was that some of this madwoman's thoughts ech ...more
Monika

I’ve tried and tried to think of how to explain this book and I just can’t seem to come up with anything that accurately describes this story, or is it a story? It’s a 100 days of haunting thoughts of a women in trouble. Some of them seem lucid and others aren’t, I wondered about her life does she appear ‘normal’ on the outside to everyone, is she able to function so no one notices how troubled she is?

It’s dark, scary and it terrified me that this woman could be any one of us.....even me.
Zach Sweets
Such an awesome read. Original. Different from any books I've read so far. Long review will be typed when I can. Got several favorite quotes from the book as well.

Highly recommended! Twist mind story teller. Nothing unbelievably disgusting was mentioned. It isn't romance at all just a glimpse inside the story teller's mind similar to diary.
Mari Biella
Another week, another review – and another chance to reflect on just how diverse a place the indie jungle can be. Last week I reviewed Peter Labrow’s 'The Well', a page-turner that would make such a good addition to the lists of any traditional publisher that I find it quite strange that it isn’t included in any such lists. This week’s book is something utterly, utterly different.

'100 Unfortunate Days' might never have been traditionally published – not because it isn’t any good (it’s very good
Aniko Carmean
Atmospheric Scare, Beautifully Written

100 Unfortunate Days by Penelope Crowe is a narcotic head-trip to the dark side of the narrator's mind. The narrator approaches her revelations with honesty that alternates between charming and unnerving. In Day Three, she explicitly predicts a type of "drive-thru eye operation" that will allow "us to see into the souls of others." She can predict such a thing because she already has such a terrible clarity of herself. She does not shy away from horror, but
Margaret Radisich
I started this book last fall and yes, it took me a long time to get through it. Not because it wasn't good, but just the opposite. It touched my soul and brought out many old feelings and thoughts that I would rather forget. I would read a few "days" and have to put it down for a week or so.

Penelope Crowe is able to put her thoughts out there so that they dredge out the despair that many of us feel. I was able to think, "maybe I am not the only one." Whether or not Penelope actually had the bad
Cheyenne Blue
You know those writing exercises you do when you're blocked? Pick up a pen, sit in front of the keyboard, clear your mind and write whatever comes into your head, without censor or editing? This book reads like 100 such exercises. Some are dark, some of them are things that come through my head, some are only a sentence. It's an interesting idea, but by about day 70 I was starting to skim.
Mina Lobo
I'm a fan of Penelope Crowe's blog and enjoy her writing style there. Reading some of 100 Unfortunate Days' reviews on Amazon (as well as the free samples she posts on her blog), I decided I had to give it a read. So I inhaled it. One Amazon reviewer mentioned reading a few days' entries and putting it down for a week. I couldn't be so patient; I had to keep going, to see what newly outrageous, crazed, or twisted day would follow the last.

Framed as the diary of a madwoman, it takes a long and ci
Jolie Pre
"Someone said we should really be judged by how we act when we think no one is looking. Can anyone say they are good? Maybe WE are the devil..."

I wish I could tell you that whenever I read a book, it's hard for me to put the book down. Unfortunately, I can't tell you that. Many of the books I start, I don't finish. At my age, if a book doesn't grab me by page 50, I'm done with it.

100 Unfortunate Days not only grabbed me, it pushed me down and held me down. It is, by far, the best book I've read
Mandy White
Psychedelic, schizophrenic...and hauntingly familar at times...those are the first things that come to mind when I attempt to describe 100 Unfortunate Days. It is a raw, visceral journey through the mind of a woman who is probably doing a reasonable job of keeping up appearances on the outside while hiding what is actually going on inside her brain.

Written journal-style, this book is a collection of 'days' - maybe not necessarily 100 sequential days but a selection of thoughts from various point
Roy Murry
Review of
Written by Penelope Crowe

Reviewed by R. Murry

When reading Ms. Crowe’s Days, Salvador Dali’s name came to mind. He always haunts me every once in a while. Dali’s painting The Persistence of Memory, an omnipotence of a dream and an unconscious, shows in oil what Penelope demonstrates in her writing.

She writes with a natural surrealistic aptitude that reminds me of Dali’s paintings. Example of this is in her don’t likes list: I don’t like Yeast infections…or…American Id
Kate
So, this had an interesting premise. The diary of a madwoman. Something about possession. But in reality this was like a collection of writing exercises over the course of 100 days. Most were not creepy. Most were like diatribes about various annoyances in the author's life.

There were a few creepy bits in here, but I was not as wowed by this as some reviewers. I wished there had been more of a storyline instead of randomness. I wasn't even sure if the writer was actually the same person from da
Brooklyn Hudson
WOW! 100 Unfortunate Days is clearly the most UNIQUE read I've ever devoured. From page to page (diary entry to diary entry) I found myself on a roller coaster of emotion. Some of the entries made me angry, some made me think, some were pure entertainment,and some even changed my mind about a few things. I can't really review this book as you would topically review fiction, because it is truly one of a kind. You can't help but be engrossed in the thoughts of this mystery woman's complicated mind ...more
Katie
Finished this last night. It started out with excellent writing and the subject matter was superb. I don't know how to describe it, but words like unsettling, uncanny, and spooky come to mind. It is 100 days of short journal essays. Some are a paragraph long others are several pages. The ones in the middle aren't as good as the bookends, but the subject matter continually caught me off guard. It was quite unsettling to hear some of the same comments those voices in my head say that I would never ...more
Amy
Although the book is fictitious, Crowe has delivered a disturbing insight into a delusional mind. I felt completely immersed in this window of insanity. (I particularly like the non-linear concept of time, as I feel that it is quite realistic an pertinent to the psychopathy of the narrator.) She's managed to pull off a completely first person account without leaving the reader feeling like they were missing the descriptiveness of an omniscient 3rd person narrator. I am impressed.
Heather
I started ready this and wasn't sure I would like it as it's in diary form but I ended getting pulled into this story..it's a journal of a quick descent into madness and you find yourself swimming around in the spinning vortex.Some of the entries are bizarre, surreal, horrifying and then there are a few glimpses of sanity within the chaos. I would recommend this to people who like psychological horror.
Erik Gustafson
Flipping through this well-written diary will leave you with a heavy heart. Its brilliant and disturbing; seeping with a real voice that is so accurate you can't help but relate to the thoughts that haunt her warped mind. Its a fast-paced read that will leave you wanting a peak at the rest of her diary.
Adam Light
This was a bizzarely clever story written from the perspective of a woman who might just be completely psychotic. At times poignant and unnerving, it is an all too convincing glimpse into a shattered mind. Pretty good for something I had never heard of. I will check out more of the author's work.
Lauren
The stream-of-consciousness ramblings of a madwoman were jarring to me at first. I kind of purchased it on a whim and regretted it soon afterwards, but resolved to slog through. I'm glad I did, as it proved to be a transcendental experience.
Vanessa Perez
Had to stop reading once the author started talking smack about God.
Kynthia
Strange, dark, honest....
Bethany
Jul 15, 2012 Bethany is currently reading it
This is written like a journal. So there is an entry for each day. Some are only a couple of lines and others might be a page but none too too long. It's ecclectic and some of it is thought provoking but I won't be reading it all at one sitting that's for sure. A little goes a long way. I started a different novel and will only read this one while I'm waiting for appts. or when I just want to read a little bit. I won't be enticed to spend a lot of time at any one sitting on this book. I had read ...more
Alexandra Rolo
Um estranho diário que parecia ser escrito de forma completamente random por uma pessoa que não bate bem da pinha.
O livro em si não passa de uma série de reflexões sobre assuntos que a personagem / autora elaborava. Não tem um seguimento lógico que se veja e de assustador tem muito pouco, pelo menos para mim. Pensava que ia encontrar algo que me mantivesse curiosa ou "assustada" mas o que vi não foi nada mais que linhas de texto de alguém que tinha tanto amor à vida como eu ao chocolate branco.
Diane
I read this book in the time it took me to do 4 loads of laundry. From the description I was expecting something different. I was expecting something really dark and dangerous. Instead it was about a lonely housewife that rambled on. Her ramblings were not exactly pretty, mostly about demons and the devil, God or lack of one, tarot cards and poisoning. It was more like daydreaming then dark or sinister. After reading some of the reviews on here, maybe I just didn't get it...
Kirsten
I have mixed feelings about this book. The book did get more creepy as it progressed. I also liked how it was split up into different days. The reason why I give this book three out of five stars was that I wish it was more elabrote and I also would have wanted it to have more of a narrative to the book, other than that I did enjoy the book.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Did anything weird happen to you reading this book? 1 8 Dec 31, 2012 01:22PM
  • Bats and Bones (The Frannie Shoemaker Campground Mysteries, #1)
  • Wake the Wicked
  • Mississippi Cotton
  • Campaign Promises
  • Country Girls
  • Sliding on the Snow Stone
  • The Mammoth Book of Pirates: Over 25 True Tales of Devilry and Daring by the Most Infamous Pirates of All Time
  • Kindle Fire Tips, Tricks and Traps: A How-To Tutorial for the Kindle Fire HD
  • Only the Truth
  • Death by Killer Mop Doll (Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery, #2)
  • Sam
  • Once in Every Generation
  • Ruins of the Mind
Penelope Crowe was born in Venice on the forth of July, which meant nothing to anyone in Venice.

She was raised by the Queen's illegitimate sister Veronica who taught her how to put on make up and brew a delicious cup of coffee.

She slept at the cafe at night under the front window and wrote sad love songs until she met Jimmy Page and had his intitials tatooed under her finger.

She lived in Spain and
More about Penelope Crowe...
Absorbed Memories of Mom and Dad Francine & the Super Pet Spy Bunny Dark Moon Presents: Vampires Coffin Hop: Death by Drive-In

“There are days when I can find nothing good in the world and I hate everyone.” 9 likes