Start by marking “Welcome to Your Child's Brain: How the Mind Grows from Conception to College” as Want to Read:
Welcome to Your Child's Brain: How the Mind Grows from Conception to College
Preview

Welcome to Your Child's Brain: How the Mind Grows from Conception to College

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  345 ratings  ·  63 reviews
How children think is one of the most enduring mysteries--and difficulties--of parenthood. The marketplace is full of gadgets and tools that claim to make your child smarter, happier, or learn languages faster, all built on the premise that manufacturers know something about your child's brain that you don't. These products are easy to sell, because good information about ...more
Published September 1st 2011 by Bloomsbury USA

To ask other readers questions about Welcome to Your Child's Brain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Welcome to Your Child's Brain

Brian
May 29, 2012 Brian rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: future parents (current parents don't have the time)
Shelves: on-nook
(4.0) Good stuff, fairly well researched, more actionable and less nerdy than What's Going on in There

If interested, strongly recommend What's Going on in There? : How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life, which I thought was even better...though more nerdy and more focused on the science than on recommendations for parents. This book is certainly more focused on giving parents actionable advice. In fact, they call out tips for parents in specific sections so they're easy t
Amber Berry
I would gift this guide to how the young brain develops and works to new parents. The authors are a science writer and a professor of neuroscience. They explore various studies and confirm some old beliefs with scientific evidence, while putting other beliefs into question or debunking them.
The way the book is organized makes it easy to read the sections of interest to you, so you can dip into it when a new questions occurs. That's why I would buy it to keep around as a reference.

Bill
Welcome to Your Child's Brain, by Aamodt and Wang, describes brain growth and development from pregancy through adolescence, and how that influences a child's physical, social, and emotional development. The stages of development of vision, hearing, sleeping, language, and social behavior make more sense when they are described in the context of brain structures and chemistry. Clearly written and accessible, it explains scientific concepts like epigenetic modification and statistical concepts li ...more
Deborah
Just a quick review: this was a book chock-o-block full of interesting facts about a growing brain. From the prenatal environment to early twenties, it tracks brain development in multiple areas.

If you're pressed for time (and what parent isn't?), read the insets (there are many) and skip the body text.

Only complaint is that the book references other chapters almost continuously (once or twice a page) which became distracting, and the brain segments were discussed with a little too much familia
Sergey Gratiy
As a new parent I thought that I had a pretty good idea of how to raise my child, but soon I began questioning my knowledge, recognizing that it is little more than a collection of personal observations mixed in with the popular tales. As a child grows and develops many questions for how to deal with different developmental stages arise, but where are the reliable answers? Cognitive neuroscience and developmental psychology seem to abound with theories and research, but they are of limited merit ...more
Jenny
Welcome to Your Child's Brain is an exploration of the developing brains of children, from pre-birth to college. The authors tackle many topics of development, enlightening the reader about common misconceptions as well as the development process, how the brain grows through stages, how children make sense of their world, how play and individuality are important, how children learn and various problems that can arise in the development process.

I am not sure how I found this book, but with my new
Cyril
Did you know children are less likely to be nearsighted the more they play outside? That violent video games have some benefit? That breast-feeding really has no impact on intelligence? This book comes to these and other conclusions by reviewing the science of the neural development of children. The authors have done a good job in reviewing the scientific literature and only presenting what has been supported by well-done research: no sensational but poorly-done studies are promoted here. This b ...more
I have 2 kids. I did have to laugh at the description of "orchid" children and "dandelion" children. I'm pretty sure I have one orchid and one dandelion child, though they are both adored. Reassuring and interesting book. It's a little bit "pop science" as my husband pointed out, but it also answers a lot of questions parents wonder about with research, instead of conjecture. It reminds me a bit of Nurture Shock.

Very good read--particularly found interesting the sections on maternal stress and b
Megan Palasik
I listened to this book as an audio book. The guy who read it was not my favorite reader. He was not bad, per se, but he was boring and disengaging.

I found this book to be rather boring. It could be because I listened to it. I've read and listened to many non-fiction books about children and child development, but this one was particularly uninteresting. Most of the information was not new or enlightening, although there were a few good bits here and there. I liked the question and answer secti
Kimberly
This book is a summary of neuroscience research on how children's brains develop. While it does provide some practical advice, the main purpose of the book is not to advocate a particular style of parenting. In fact, the authors repeatedly state that parents should just relax - most important aspects of brain development happen automatically, without much outside assistance required. There are brief sidebars throughout the book with snippets of practical advice, some of which are contradictory(p ...more
Ghalia
This book is really interesting and contains a lot of important facts that are based on science. The most beneficial parts were the practical tips in each chapter that give some ideas how to apply the information in real life. I recommend it for new parents.
I got bogged down in the technical language on the beginning, but the chapters about development were far less technical and very interesting. This is a great resource from birth through the teen years.
Traci
I loved this book. I am sure my family is sick of me quoting all the studies referenced in this book. The book is definitely not just for parents... it's for anyone interested in the brain and how it affects child development. Handy for anyone who works with kids. The parenting advice in this book is not preachy or really even advice, but rather an analysis of what works based on a variety of of scientific studies. The studies referenced are all peer reviewed scientific studies with large contro ...more
Beth E
I really enjoyed this book! It is co-written by thought leaders in the field of cognitive neuroscience and they provide a well balanced, if not highly technical discussion on many different developmental aspects of child brain development. Fantastic read and very helpful!
Ryan
Great book for anyone with kids and would like to try to understand what is going on in their heads. I was amazed how often the book described circumstances that I have found strange in my experience as a dad. For instance, Maggie lately classifies everything as boy this or girl that. "Daddy only girls eat their vegetables." Coincidently the book explains why children her age feel strongly defined by their gender.

It did get a little too technical occasionally. I don't care what part of the brai
Tanya
Basically, kids are dandelions and will grow up fine with a variety of parenting environments. The exception is where there is a lower socio-economic status. I found the insets interesting, though the format slightly reminded me of the "... For Dummies" style. The references to other pages of the book while within each segment were distracting, and I didn't find hose useful though a couple of times I re-read a section, but then thought, the while book is choppy, I just need to keep reading forwa ...more
Jiffy
The authors are clearly brain specialists and not child psychologists. They do give some decent information on the science of brain development but then just seem to tack on childrearing advice as an after-thought and with seemingly no real understanding of its actual impact. I also found the book to be condescending at times with the authors implying they’re smarter than their readers because they’re scientists and advising people to go back a re-read certain sections because the reader probabl ...more
Lori
Boy this was tough to get through. It was written like a textbook but with childish cartoons thrown randomly in. Very bizarre. Also, I hate when the inserted comments are thrown in mid sentence so that you have to flip back to them when you finish a paragraph. Back to the book, I guess I was expecting a more readable experience but this is not one of those informational parenting books that include a scientific basis, more like a brain science book with occasional applications to parenting throw ...more
Audrey
This book pretty much tell you - as the parent - to RELAX, your child's brain will develop normally. There is so much information that I felt like sometimes I was reading the same thing over and over. However, some facts that I found interesting....breast feeding has little or no influence on a baby's later intelligence. And did you know...children who spend more time outdoors are less likely to become nearsighted. Interesting!!
Kristine
Neuroscience fascinates me. Child development fascinates me. Knowledge of brain development has been growing in recent years. Here is a book that seems well-presented visually and organizationally. The type is easy on the eyes. The table of contents is informative. There is a glossary and an index. The chapters I've read so far are marked by exceeding clarity -- translated means that the book appears accessible to non-experts.
Dotty Dye
This is totally worth reading. Funny, full of useful info and basic explanations behind the science of brain development. Overarching message: chill out, there are few things you can really do to mess up that development...and only a handful of things you can do to really provide a major advantage (exposure to bilingualism being one of those things --- check). One of the few truly useful parenting books I've found.
I skimmed this book because I didn't find it very engrossing. The authors review the current science on brain development and have good credentials for doing so. In essence, I think their view is that parents need to calm down and do no harm - brain development mostly happens on its own as long as you don't abuse your kids. I stopped reading because it felt like that was the message over and over.
Bold Bookworm
... This book is overflowing with summaries of and quotes from various studies. Meanwhile it also gives practical advice. It is well-written, flows smoothly, and presents concise arguments. The readers should expect to learn some new anatomy terminology and some useful parenting skills.

Read the full review at http://boldbookworm.com/b031712.html

~The Bold Bookworm
Vanessa
I really should give it less than 2 stars but because I chose to read it I believe it's my fault. Not exactly what I expected but there were interesting parts. Unfortunately, 1/3 in to the book I only read the bold interesting parts. The rest of the book was too scientific for me. I might have enjoyed it more if it were in more layman terms. I did pick up a few pointers.
Marya
Simply awesome. This book covers brain based studies in child development and does not try to scare the pants off of its readers. At the end of the day, children are weeds, able to survive and thrive in a wide variety of situations. Which means parents don't have to worry constantly about screwing it up. What a great book!
Sara
Did have some interesting and useful information in it, but I have to say that going through each brain area affected by certain disorders just feels so dry at times. Could have been organized better, methinks. Still I definitely learned some things I didn't know before, and with a long-ago background in neuropsych, it's interesting to learn what the latest research is.
Daniel
Lots of interesting stuff (like playing outdoors can help prevent hereditary myopia and the "marshmallow test" better predicts success in school than does IQ!). However, I must admit, talk of the hippocampus and serotonin (etc.) went over my head. But there's more than enough layperson's content to make this more than worth the read.
Jessica Haag callahan
Well worth reading for anyone who has an interest in parenting, child development or neuroscience. Both a summary of neuroscience research on how children's brains develop and myth busting parent guide. Filled with tips about parenting but the overall message is relax. This book definitely altered some of my parental habits.
Quiltyknitwit
In my next life I'll be a neuroscientist - in the meantime, I'm intrigued by the ways our brains work. I find child development especially interesting, and I learned many facts & interesting tidbits from this book. It's also a bit like a college textbook at times, which made the reading go slowly for me.
  • Free Range Learning How Homeschooling Changes Everything
  • The Philosophical Baby: What Children's Minds Tell Us About Truth, Love, and the Meaning of Life
  • Why Love Matters: How Affection Shapes a Baby's Brain
  • Your Child's Growing Mind: A Guide to Learning and Brain Development from Birth to Adolescence
  • No Regrets Parenting: Turning Long Days and Short Years into Cherished Moments with Your Kids
  • Parenting From the Inside Out
  • The Well-Behaved Child: Discipline That Really Works!
  • Your Three-Year-Old: Friend or Enemy
  • The Good Mother Myth: Redefining Motherhood to Fit Reality
  • Becoming the Parent You Want To Be
  • Consuming Kids: The Hostile Takeover of Childhood
  • The Mindful Child: How to Help Your Kid Manage Stress and Become Happier, Kinder, and More Compassionate
  • I Love Dirt!: 52 Activities to Help You and Your Kids Discover the Wonders of Nature
  • The Idle Parent: Why Laid-Back Parents Raise Happier and Healthier Kids
  • Raising Happiness: 10 Simple Steps for More Joyful Kids and Happier Parents
  • Feel-Bad Education: And Other Contrarian Essays on Children and Schooling
  • The Language Police:  How Pressure Groups Restrict What Students Learn
  • Bottled Up: How the Way We Feed Babies Has Come to Define Motherhood, and Why It Shouldn’t
Welcome to Your Brain: Why You Lose Your Car Keys But Never Forget How To Drive and Other Puzzles of Everyday Behavior Secretele creierului uman. De ce pierdem cheile de la masina, dar nu uitam cum sa conducem si alte enigme ale vietii cotidiene Welcome to Your Child's Brain : Cara Pikiran Berkembang dari Masa Pembuahan Hingga Kuliah Welcome To Your Brain (College) + Clinical Neuroscience Reader + Scientific American Explores The Hidden Mind + Improving The Mind And Brain Welcome to Your Child's Brain