Start by marking “The Drowning Pool” as Want to Read:
The Drowning Pool

The Drowning Pool

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  477 ratings  ·  68 reviews

After her world is shaken by a series of unexplained events, young widow Sarah Grey soon comes to realise that she is the victim of a terrifying haunting by her 19th century namesake … A classic ghost story with a modern twist by a talented new writer in the genre.

Relocated to a coastal town, widowed teacher Sarah Grey is slowly rebuilding her life, along with her young so

Published September 29th 2011 by Avon (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Drowning Pool, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Drowning Pool

Blair
This had been appearing in my Amazon recommendations for months and I kept ignoring it - mainly, I will admit, because of the horrible tacky cover, which made me think of some awful schlock-horror story, or one of those ultra-cheap ebooks that look like somone's knocked the whole thing together in an afternoon. I don't really know what made me decide to buy it: probably a combination of a) it being one of the top recommendations for readers who enjoyed Brodmaw Bay, b) the quote on said cover dee ...more
ReadandRated
I’ve just finished reading The Drowning Pool and want to post the review while it is still fresh in my mind.

I don’t want to give away the story itself in this review, instead I want to focus more on my opinions of the book. This is, essentially, a ghost story. Not my usual genre but a book that I really enjoyed nonetheless. In fact I would say that after reading it I think I’d be more inclined to pick up a ‘ghost story’ in the future.

I was initially drawn to it as it is based in Leigh on Sea in
David
The only reason I haven't given this book a one-star rating is because the story itself is actually kind of interesting - inspired, even. It's also one of the few ghost story novels I've read that has good narrative pacing and a satisfying conclusion.

None of this, however, can make up for the terrible writing. It reads like a short story in Take a Break magazine. Short paragraphs, littered with clichés, but at the same time completely failing to create believable characters.

In fact, this was som
Grace Harwood
I thought this book had a really strong start but somewhere along the line it lost its momentum and became something a bit more average. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed reading it, but I certainly don't think it's anything amazing. First its strengths: What I really liked about this book was the way that it was firmly positioned in a local area. I'm not familiar with the area, but I think that if you were, it would be a real draw to this book to see your area so vividly rendered in the story. I ha ...more
Donna
Mar 11, 2012 Donna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Becky Church
Recommended to Donna by: Dan
Shelves: 2012, kindle-read
I would give this 4.5 if I could. It was recommended by a friend and I have really enjoyed it. It is a bit spooky, with a ghostly haunting, which the main character tries to get to the bottom of. She has the same name as an accused witch from over a hundred years before, and starts to be haunted by her. However, are the hauntings real, an overactive imagination or a symptom of an illness? And are the people around her on her side or do they have their own agendas?
I found myself second guessing a
Shaz Goodwin
Four girls out for a few drinks find themselves at the castle, sharing spooky stories and local lore/myths. Shortly after this, Sarah Grey finds herself experiencing visions and paranormal activity. Blocking out the visions doesn't help as her son Alfie is then used to try to get messages to Sarah.

Sarah, already tired from re-building her life also has a Head who is making work life miserable. A health scare adds to her problems.

The Drowning Pool is narrated as a reflective account by Sarah. I i
Secretxxangel
I was eagerly anticipating reading this book. I was looking forward to a good ghost story, without the gore that usually comes with it. I expected to be scared, surprised, and engrossed in the read. But alas, it didn't happen. I waited and waited for a twist that never came, as everything was so plain to see : it felt like the author didn't seem to bother building up a bit of suspense, and the grand finale was such a lukewarm scene that I felt cheated. The supposedly scary stuff isn't anything n ...more
Lee
Sprawled across the wall of my history classroom back in secondary school, in letters standing at least two inches high, was that famous George Santayana quote: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." This book has a similar message and puts it across even more strongly, perhaps in letters three inches tall that sparkle slightly in the sun.

Actually that may be oversimplifying things.

The Drowning Pool is the debut novel of Syd Moore. The slightly cringeworthy blurb on the
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
I saw this on the new arrivals shelves in my local supermarket and decided I would like to try someone new and the blurb at the back of the book looked interesting. This is a ghost story and a very good one it was. The story is centered around Sarah Gray, a young widow with a four year old son, who goes drinking with her friends and ends up at a ruined castle in their small town. Now, these are all grown women, but they do like to drink, indeed, there was so much binge drinking, you would wonder ...more
L.K. Jay
I was looking forward to reading this as I really enjoyed Witch Hunt when that came out last year. I love a good ghost story and this story really fit the bill. It had everything, ghosts, adventure and teachers! Being a teacher myself, I could really connect with the main characters.

The story is set in Essex and concerns a young widow called Sarah who looks after her young son Alfie. She is being haunted by a woman of the same name, a notorious 'sea witch' who lived in early Victorian times. We
Emily
99p Kindle books are the new charity shop books, people. You heard it here first. Thankfully, this one was definitely worth the 99p. Written in a lively style, The Drowning Pool involves a genuinely scary ghost story, interesting history, and some refreshing feminist views and opinions. There's even a love story in there, and a story of lost love.

I was never bored while reading this book, and it even felt at some points as though there was just too much going on. On the day I downloaded this bo
Penni
when I first got this book (I won it as an ARC) I expected a really scary book, the cover and the blurb on the back led me to that conclusion. However I would describe it more of a historical romance with ghosts.

Theres the connection between the past and the modern day characters and all along you're not quite sure where its going to end or 'whodunnit' but it keeps you intrigued all the way through.

There was only one really scary bit and in hindsight it wasn't that scary but at the time I had to
Karen
Started of quite promising, with what could have been a spooky and dark story, with so many possibilities to develop it (although if I read one more description about people drinking coffee or wine, I was going to scream) However a promising start soon was spoilt and the book became silly and I had to give up on it as it was just so, well, erm.... naff!
Jenny
A well-written serviceable mystery with a supernatural element that went overboard at the story's climax. I enjoyed Moore's character, Sarah's narrative voice and detailed characterization, and so, too, the story's mystery. This, however, didn't prevent me losing interest around the halfway mark. The reason for this was the lack of rising tension. While not a memorable read, The Drowning Pool is a good time-filler.
Barbra
As this was hyped as a ghost story I thought I would give it a go - I got about halfway through it and it lost me. I started to find it quite boring so just gave up.

Back Cover Blurb:
Relocated to a coastal town with her young son Alfie, widowed teacher Sarah Grey is slowly rebuilding her life. But following a seance one drunken night, she begins to be plagued by horrific visions. Her attempts to explain them away are dashed when Alfie starts to see them too, and soon, it seems that they are targe
Georgia
I thought this book started excellently and then it lost me. I found myself re reading the pages over and over just to make sense of it. I eventually got to the end but I didn't know what had happened at all!
Georgie
This book for me started off really well and then got really confusing, I felt as though I had to read the pages multiple times just to understand what was happening. Apart from that I really enjoyed it.
Ally Harradine
I found this book very I interesting. It wasn't as creepy as I was hoping but the way the storyline played out had me entertained. I almost lost it and gave in half way through as it went a little stale, but the author brought it back in the final few chapters.
Lesley
Mar 03, 2014 Lesley marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Evelyn
*I won an advance copy via a Goodreads giveaway*

The Drowning Pool starts off as as a typical ghost story as the reader is introduced to the main character, Sarah Grey, a young widow who begins to experience some rather spooky things happening around her and her son Alfie. The first hundred pages or so feature some classic horror movie scenes that will have you running to put on the light if you're reading alone before going to bed! As the story progresses it becomes more of an intertwined histor
Adam
To be honest, I was rather disappointed with this book. Firstly, it was written, in my opinion, with too many female interests so this made some of the reading uninteresting from a bloke's perspective. There was also the absurd part about a shop-front mannequin (I'll not give any more than that away) that did not fit in with a ghost story. And being a bit pedantic here, but in Antwerp, northern Belgium, they speak Dutch, not French!

This is a debut novel and shows it but I think Syd Moore has pot
Angela
Started out strong and intriguing but tapered off into the middle. By the end, I was bored, frankly. Not as good as it could have been, but alright as a ghost story.
Sarah5

Thanks to the author as I was lucky enough to be sent a copy through the giveaways section on the site. This is the story of Sarah Grey who begins to see a ghost of someone of the same name and is known through local history and myth as a sea-witch. This is a mixture of genres: horror, thriller, historical fiction and a bit of romance as well.

I found this book genuinely creepy, there were a few moments when I actually jumped when I read them and there was a sense of tension throughout. A great r
Yvonne Savage
really liked this take on a modern ghost story
Sian
I was given The Drowning Pool for Christmas, and had listed it on my Amazon wishlist quite a few months prior, just sorting through similar books within the genre and filtering what sounded good. I liked the sound of this book instantly and it didn't disappoint.

The story is well thought out, and I enjoyed the twists. I didn't feel the ending quite worked for me, which is why I am only giving it 4 stars, but overall it's an excellent piece for a first-time writer like Syd Moore. I will definitel
Annette Gisby
Atmospheric ghost story.
Vicki
I enjoyed this book more than I thought I would. It is a classic ghost story, my only gripe with it is that Sarah's dealings with her ghost lessened as the novel progressed and it became more of a crime novel than a scary ghost story.
That said, it was well written, and the characters Syd Moore created were interesting and had lots of depth to them.
This book is quite fast paced, and I never wanted to put it down while I was reading it.
I look forward to reading more from this author.
Meghna
Had an itch to read a good horror book and this one helped scratch that itch a bit. While the plot is predictable, there are enough chills and thrills to make you read the next page. The narration is engaging and Sarah Grey is a more realistic heroine than some of the other books have read. A widow with a penchant for her 'red' does not wallow in grief and her attitude to 'fix' the haunting quickly is refreshing. All in all, a nice read. Hope Syd Moore's next book also delivers.
Jimmy
The Drowning Pool is part novelisation of a historical person, part ghost story, and there is an element of romance in there too, . Well written, and evidently well researched, although I found the theme of history repeating itself a little repetitive though, and increasingly implausable towards the end of the book. I enjoyed the putting together of the historical jigsaw, and the plot moves swiftly so that it does hold the readers' interest from beginning to end.
Georgina Bennett
The twist in this book, I never saw coming! Syd Moore concluded everything extremely well, and it was so clever how all of the little bits came together in the end. At first I did find it quite scary, and thought that the ghost of Sarah Grey was out to haunt and maybe harm the main character, but by the end I felt as though her story was just one tragedy after another, and it actually made me want to cry. I think this book is well worth a read!
  • Brodmaw Bay
  • A Sincere Warning About The Entity In Your Home
  • Drowning Rose
  • Whispers in the Dark
  • Songs on Bronze: The Greek Myths Made Real
  • Antidote to Murder (Dr Dody McCleland, #2)
  • The Hunting Ground
  • The Man in the Picture
  • Florence and Giles
  • Why Don't You Come For Me?
  • The Evil Within