Sheep Blast Off!

Sheep Blast Off! (Sheep)

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  195 ratings  ·  35 reviews
When a mysterious spacecraft lands in a nearby pasture, the lovable, blundering sheep get in gear for the ride of their lives! Unfortunately, these sheep don't know the first thing about piloting a spaceship . . . but there may be someone else on board who does! Readers will have a blast with Nancy Shaw's clever rhymes and Margot Apple's hilarious illustrations in this lat...more
Published June 2nd 2008 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (HMH)

David
Sheep Blast Off! by Nancy E. Shaw, illustrated by Margot Apple is the seventh title in the Sheep sagas and it's a blast! Off, that is. I've always thought these sheep were spacey, but this book proves it. I'm a bit disappointed there was no "Take me to your bleater" moment.

The sheep investigate a strange craft that has landed in a nearby pasture, discover it's a spacecraft and take a joyride into space. They even have a spacewalk, but can't figure out how to get home. Fortunately there was an al...more
Chris
As always in this series, the pictures are imaginative and tell a great story. In this case, it strays a bit outside the text, which just adds to the fun.
Grace
We thought this book was pretty good. My son loved the part when the sheep were in the rocket touching all the buttons.
Vicky
From the title, I thought that this book would be a really fun read. Sheep are just so random, and I thought a book about sheep in outer space would be absolutely hilarious. However, it wasn't really that exciting. Yes, the sheep got into a little bit of mischief and it is a fun story, but it wasn't really at all what I was expecting. I think it may also be harder for kids to understand and follow along with, because it's more of an abstract book. You have to follow along with the pictures as we...more
Zakaree Perez
I think that children might enjoy the book, although it was slightly boring and not a lot happened. The pictures were really fun to look at and the children might like the story of sheeps wondering onto a spaceship and taking off without really knowing how to control the ship. Thankfully, they are saved by an alien hiding behind a door and he kindly flies them back home. I would not read this to children in a classroom because there are not a whole lot of lessons to take from it, but it would be...more
Cassie
Michigan author Nancy Shaw has been writing 'the sheep books' since 1986 when "Sheep in a Jeep" debuted. Book seven in the series takes the sheep into outerspace. A spaceship lands nearby and the loveably goofy sheep end up blasting off. This latest book is a fun romp with Shaw's hillarious illustrations that hold a story of their own. The sheep books are written so that they are easy for beginning readers, making use of a large font, rhyming text and simple words. Check them all out!
Asho
I didn't enjoy this book on the first reading. It felt like nothing much happened. However, when I looked at it again I discovered the funny little parallel story of the alien discovering the sheep on board his spaceship. The alien part of the story is only told through the pictures, which means this isn't the best read-aloud for a baby (too little to get it). Maybe we'll come back to the sheep series when he's a bit bigger.
Rachel Thomas
!. Sheep Blast Off (picture)
2. Nancy Shaw
3. Illustrator: Margot Apple
4. Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Company
5. Date of publication: 2008
6. Summary Sheep blast off through the stratosphere in a spaceship. I loved the illustrations in this especially the colors. The illustrator used colored pencils and it looks great. This book would be perfect for teaching younger students 1-3rd grade about rhyming.
Shayla
Apr 24, 2013 Shayla marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I thought this science fiction book was very unique and hilarious. I like how the author rhythms the words in every page. I thought the sheep taking over the space ship was funny and return back to earth. A lesson plan for students is to create their own story of aliens abducting an animal on earth. Than to draw a picture reflecting their overall story.
Connie
This has to be the oddest sheep book. They bumble their way into a spaceship, and fly around for a bit before coming home.

It has the same rhyming as the other books, but... truthfully, I don't like this little foray into science fiction. The semi-realistic ones are better, imo.
Marya
Not as good as Sheep on a Ship, but it probably deserves 3 stars. My particular library copy stank, quite literally. I couldn't quite tell if it was book mold or cleaned off vomit, but I'm afraid it will forever scar my reading experience of this title.
Ashley
Genre: Picture Book
Publication Date: 2008

In this book, students get to watch a herd of sheep steel a rocketship from some unexpecting aliens. The sheep do not really know what to do with the rocket ship and therefore, they get into some mischeif!
Kayla
This was a fun book to read. I like the way that is also a poetry book. It makes it fun to read and I think that children will really enjoy reading this book.
Nancy Jo Lambert
Not one of the best sheep books. I anticipated that this one would be really fun, but I guess my expectations were too high. Kind of weird instead of fun.
Jenny
I really liked sheep in jeep but was very disappointed by this one. It was weird. I got to the end and was like, ok...the point of this story was???
Leah
Rhyming text and delightful pictures, but not a lot of opportunity to interact with an audience. This book is best shared one on one.
Beth Chandler
Fun, fast-moving book of sheep-astronauts; an alien sneaks aboard!

Good for small storytimes (pictures are kinda small).
Travis Ewing
Travis liked when the sheep got stunned. This book had some words that were a bit of a struggle for him
Maria
Never too young for science fiction. Great for the littlest readers - take them on a trip to space!
The Library Lady
I don't want to retire the sheep, as one reviewer suggested--I want them to go underwater in a sub next!
Kristie
Another great read from Shaw's sheep series. This one is chock full of rhymes and alliteration.
Christyweber1
still not as good as sheep in a jeep, but better than sheep on a ship. way better.
Rachel
Nothing is as good as the first sheep book. But this one is fun.
Emily
A cute story with great pictures! My son loves the "sheep" books!
Deborah
easy rhyming text. kids think its silly for sheep to go to space.
Vivian
Perfect for story time with pre-school age children.
Lisa
A few good space words to help increase vocabulary.
Polly
Sheep and aliens. What more could you ask for?
Michelle
Love the sheep books but this one was confusing.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Barnyard Banter
  • One-Dog Canoe
  • Los Gatos Black on Halloween
  • No Two Alike
Sheep in a Jeep Sheep in a Shop Sheep on a Ship Sheep Out to Eat Sheep Trick or Treat