Start by marking “Seizoenen” as Want to Read:
Seizoenen

Seizoenen

Origineel beeldenboek rond de seizoenen, waarin met associaties (o.a. ijscoman/ijsje en champignons/paraplu) wordt gespeeld. Prentenboek met eenvoudige kleurenillustraties in grafische stijl. Vanaf ca. 5 jaar.
Published November 2011 by Uitgeverij Clavis (first published November 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Seizoenen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seizoenen

Kathryn
I think this is going to be one of those books you will either love or find a bit odd. It's a collection of one or two-word things or events that happen in the seasons, accompanied by an illustration. The two page spreads usually go well together, such as "Cocoon" on one and "Butterfly" on the other, or "Swim" and "Sunburn". But some were more puzzling such as "Tee" (for t-shirt) next to "Watermelon"; both obviously summer things but I don't see the direct relation. Or, even more odd, "Accident" ...more
Emma
Oct 07, 2014 Emma rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-publisher
This is one of those books where I'm not even how to start talking about it.

Blexbolex (or BLEXBOLEX?) is a French artist. Blexbolex makes prints and is almost impossible to find online. According to Ask.com/Wikipedia he was previously a French comics artist. One of his other books called L'Imagier des gens was awarded the prize for "Best Book Design of the World" in 2008 at the Book Fair in Leipzig.

Seasons (2010) is his latest book. It has been brought to the US and translated into English.

Essen
Mark
Dec 20, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paging through this long series of full-page or full-spread serialized graphic seasonal scenes and iconic images feels like cruising through dreams, such quality that will draw viewers into the rhythms of each season.

It's simply because everything about Seasons is enticing. It’s a gorgeously presented book with thick art-paper pages, rich color and superb illustrations, designed and dedicated for artists, book designers and, obviously, children!

At the start we are offered the four seasons in fou
Peacegal
Oct 26, 2012 Peacegal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Retro and artsy, these silkscreen designs would look more at home on Etsy or a hipster's apartment wall than bound together in a children's picture book. I loved it.

Veg*n parents note: This book contains a "Hunting" and "Fishing" page, with illustrations of people engaging in the aforementioned activities. It also shows a mounted deer "trophy" head for the word "Memento."
Donalyn
Bold colors and layered silkscreen illustrations enhance this unusual book about the seasons and life.
Elke Ursin
Feb 02, 2011 Elke Ursin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-books-read
This is SO fabulous!!!! The illustrations are just amazing and the "story" is really interesting! Take a look at this one!
Sarah Morris
Lovely lovely picture book. Adore the style of illustration, some beautiful pages. As this is a children's book I do think it would be great, as the words illustrated on each page aren't just simple objects or occasions but feelings and actions which I don't think will be often presented to children. There are words that are quite hard to illustrate but most I feel captured that particular instance and would be a great way for children to understand. For me, a really quiet lovely book to flick t ...more
Alison
Jan 04, 2017 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful prints of words; creative, cute, tasteful; I imagine it would encourage conversation from a toddler with parent; my infant looked at the pages with interest, too.
Garren
Oct 31, 2016 Garren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Different in a great way.
Jessica
Possibly more popular with adults than kids. Lovely & ruminative.
The Littlest Library
Saisons (or 'Seasons' in the English publication) is a beautiful book exploring the changing of the seasons. I bought this book on a solo trip to Paris in 2010 before kids were even on the radar. I was enchanted by the stunning illustrations and by what appeared to be the most beautiful French word association book. It is not until reading this book in both English and French that I realised that this was not the case. Do not overlook this book as no more than a simple word association book.

The
Katie Fitzgerald
Created by Blexbolex, a French comics artist, Seasons is a picture book containing a series of colorful, retro-style prints depicting a vast variety of concepts. Each picture is labeled in block letters with what it portrays: DISASTER, SUNBURN, DEBRIS, COCOON, FLOOD.

I was drawn to the book at first because the New York Times included it on its list of Best illustrated Children's Books of 2010, along with some other books I loved, like Busing Brewster, and Henry In Love. I loved the image the art
Rachel
French illustrator Blexbolex uses colorful screen prints paired with one-word-per-page text to bring readers through the seasons of the year. Some pairings are straightforward – a picture of a butterfly with the word BUTTERFLY – while others require a little examination and consideration, like the illustration of a boy walking in the autumn woods with the word DELIGHT. Although not a story in the traditional sense, Seasons does tell its own sort of tale as it winds its way through a familiar (th ...more
Paige Sullivan
The book, "Seasons" by Blexbolex, explores the nature of time by looking at the seasons. This book is not written in the traditional way. It has very vidid and creative illustrations and the only text is one word per page. The author allows the illustrations to tell the story's. It also allows the reader to create their own point of view of what they think the illustrations mean. By just adding that one simple word, it gives the readers mind the direction that the author was trying to get them t ...more
David
Dec 14, 2010 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picturebooks, seasons
Seasons by Blexbolex is a book with beautiful graphic prints with one or two words describing each picture. The last page states that: Blexbolex got lost for a while in the pages of his books. He has needed two summers, an autumn, a spring, several storms and a lot of sunshine to rediscover the seasons for himself.

I find myself admiring the art but being unsure of its audience and purpose. It doesn't look like a good choice for a story hour presentation, my primary use for picturebooks. It certa
paula
You are familiar with this creature Blexbolex, non? This French illustrator who works in line and silk screen?

Me neither, and Oh My God how have I missed this guy? But wait - I see that he did the illustrations for the recent edition of I Know How to Cook (http://www.designspongeonline.com/200...), and that was one big honkin doorstop of a cookbook (and it is French) but I almost had to have it anyway, because of those illustrations.

Seasons is another giant honkin book, but with one word per pag
Siskiyou-Suzy
I was prepared to dislike Seasons, mostly because I get a little tired of children's books that catch adult's eyes by being really stylish and artsy without making any attempt to engage or interest children.

But Seasons is an amazing journey throughout the seasons. It is bizarrely deep for being made up of simple images each captioned with a single words. But there is a clear, discernible story with many beginnings and middles and ends. It's only a shame that this book isn't a board book -- these
Cassie
Jul 07, 2010 Cassie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first saw Seasons in my new book box I moaned "What in the heck was I thinking ordering that?" It only took a few turns of the pages to get the "ahh" moment. Blexbolex's new book is a seasonal feast for the eyes. His use of colors in creating the screen prints bring the images alive and intrigue the mind. The pages take the reader through the seasons catching glimpses of such things as watermelon, traffic jams, delight and silence. You come round again and go through the year which may ca ...more
Elisabeth
Jun 10, 2011 Elisabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this at Tattered Cover and totally got lost in the book. I always get intense spring fever right about now so it was good for me to slow down and appreciate what each season brings and realize that it will all happen again and again and to be patient with where we are now. Artful juxtaposition with the illustrations and titles. My favorite illustration pairings: one page early on in the book is titled " Late Bloomer" and depicts a bare tree in the middle of two trees blooming with spring ...more
Anna
Title: Seasons By Blexbolex

Summary: Ransom collection of seasonal words and images.

Pros:

Lovely vintage style illustrations, which effectively use a limited color palette.
Text includes sophisticated vocabulary words: fragrance, hearth, bocce, memento, (just to list a few).

Cons:

The text is poorly organized which makes it challenging for readers to figure out how to use the book. There is no formal story to move the book along it is literally individual words illustrated. This book would make for
This is a picture book that has the size of a graphic novel and looks like an old fashioned comic strip. Each page has a word and an illustration relating to the changing seasons. It is truly lovely, and would make a great read aloud for kids who love illustrations and will not try to grab the book. Excellent vocabulary teacher with words like trimming, glum, and stillness. There is lots of discussion that can happen between a reader and a child.

Also, every adult should look at it just for its
Kiran
Oct 22, 2010 Kiran rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
An interesting pictorial stream of consciousness by Blexbolex. Beautiful illustrations and words that are thought provoking. There is no defined story per se but the images follow the changes of the seasons. Many of the adjacent illustrations are juxtapositions of ideas or concepts (an image of people having a picnic in a park and the following spread depicting the same park with all the litter and garbage left by those people). Definitely a picture book that makes for interesting discussion bet ...more
Madison Stockton
Oct 15, 2014 Madison Stockton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edrd-314
This book is so simple, and it only donned on me afterward that it was a reflection of the seasons (even though it's named Seasons...) At first, I thought the purpose of this book was just to introduce simple words while providing contextual meaning. As you keep reading, though, the words start to play off one another. Maybe the illustrations and pictures are antonyms or maybe they're just related, but it was nontraditional and evocative. The colors, the words, and the perspective make it an ama ...more
Sari
Sep 29, 2011 Sari rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My three year old and I checked this out of the library. I love the pictures in it. He, not so interested.

I would like to buy two copies of this book so I can rip out all of the pictures and hang them on my walls (and when I say rip, I mean carefully cut them out but with such excitement it is like ripping). Two copies, because of course there are good pictures on both sides of many of the pages.
Gphatty
Nov 10, 2010 Gphatty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens, picture
Oh my. Impressive. Almost overwhelming. When I saw this, I couldn't actually believe it was a picture book -- this thing is THICK. But don't be detered -- it is really an abstract meditative "story" of the seasons. Not just one year's worth -- no, at least three years worth. Alternating single images with one word text with the occasional two page spread; nothing repeating, and yet sequencing like a wonderful song. Highly recommended.
Jul 05, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This seemed like a book from another era. I thought all of the pages were interesting and I could imagine a child poring over the pages, just looking at all of the colors and styles. I did like the format of the book and the unique feel. While I enjoyed this book, it wasn't my all time favorite. I would still recommend though.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2011...
Susan Erhardt
An interesting book that progresses through the seasons with one picture and one word per page. Some make you think -- the plum on a "summer" page later returns as a prune on a "fall" page. I like the concept and the illustrations are striking. However, there were some rather odd word choices -- accident? What does that have to do with summer? The people in the book were all caucasian -- pink, actually -- except on the "parade" page (which looks rather Mardi Gras-like).
Marcie
Nov 07, 2010 Marcie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marcie by: NYtimes
I can see why Robert Sabuda and Elizabeth Bird selected this as one of the top 10 illustrated books for the New York Times. I can see teachers using this to have students select either one page to write as story or perhaps one of the seasons (which can vary from one to five or six pages. The translation of the last page led me to immediately go back and see if I could create a timeline of the book, and activity students might enjoy.
Rick
Jan 31, 2011 Rick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely delightful! This long-playing picture book is a screen printers meditation on the changes that surround us as the seasons tick by. It doubles as a vocabulary primer for new readers! The images are enchanting as they segue from one idea to the next, highlighted by a single word or phrase. The complexity of Blexbolex's art must not be missed. This is by far the best picture book I have seen in many months. Highly recommended.
Jeremy West
Jan 19, 2014 Jeremy West rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
From the moment you pick up this book, you will be sucked into its beautiful illustrations with their rich, textured colors and retrospective look at the seasons all around us. Each page stands in juxtaposition to each other taking you on a journey through a year of seasons and everything that comes with them. This timeless picture book is one that will captivate its readers for years to come.
  • The Tree House
  • Before After
  • Me and You
  • Inside Outside
  • Nest
Blexbolex (born 1966) is a French comics artist and illustrator. Born Bernard Granger in Douai, he studied screen printing (sérigraphie) at the School of Fine Arts (L’école européenne supérieure de l'image) in Angoulême. His first works were self-published, and later he contributed to Popo Color, Fusée, and Ferraille. His highly stylized, ligne claire illustration, inspired by the films of Jacques ...more
More about Blexbolex...