Start by marking “What It Means to Be a Democrat” as Want to Read:
What It Means to Be a Democrat

What It Means to Be a Democrat

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  134 ratings  ·  17 reviews

A call to arms by the former presidential candidate that combines personal anecdotes and cultural critiques to remind liberals of their ideological compass and restore confidence.

George McGovern has been a leading figure of the Democratic Party for more than fifty years. From this true liberal comes a thoughtful examination of what being a Democrat really means. McGover

Published November 10th 2011 by Blue Rider Press

To ask other readers questions about What It Means to Be a Democrat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What It Means to Be a Democrat

Jan 22, 2012 Tyler added it
Shelves: book, politics
I'm not a Democrat but I have come to admire George McGovern upon learning about the election of 1972. A lot of what he said then I agree with. Mostly about the Vietnam War.

This book is short and simple. I wouldn't have read it if it were much longer so I won't fault its somewhat simple and unpersuasive arguments. It states more than it argues, but for a book this length that is okay.

It actually reminded me of why I'm not a Democrat. McGovern has a tremendous amount of faith in the government t
Nice easy read. However, I doubt many Republicans would read it. If you are Democrat you will love it because it points out the best and biggest successes of the party in the 20th century. Additionally it espouses the ideals that we believe in. Today's environment seems to make us forget that the Democrats are supposed to stand for the average and disadvantaged person.
Sam Motes
A very easy read that lays out the pillars of the belief system in the Democratic Party. A very eye opening quick read. McGovern does an excellent job of sharing his values and building the case of why the democratic faithful fight day in and day out to build the Government the populace needs to survive and thrive.
It was refreshing to read a book that plainly says where we should be heading as a country.
George McGovern said essentially that the Democratic Party is the party of social movements
for positive change in the country where everyone has access to education; pays their fair
share of taxes and has access to affordable healthcare.
McGovern pointed out the futility of being mired down in Afghanistan; the need for development
of renewable energy resources; mass transportation; Failed drug policies; Tak
What a wise man. It's a shame he never became president but he did so much good, especially in his work against hunger. This book should be read by every voter and potential voter.
James Hatton
This is George McGovern's perspective on what it means to be a Democrat. I don't agree with McGovern on everything, but I found this book worthwhile.
Kevin Cooper
A collection of thoughts from one of the most renowned and under-appreciated Democrats of the last century. George McGovern helped shape the very Democrat Party that we align ourselves with today. This book is a brain-to-pen dialogue between McGovern and the American people, regarding the current Obama Administration, and the path that we must walk as a nation moving forward.

The book feels as if it was written hurriedly, but perhaps that helps lend to its honesty. I highly recommend this to any
Pretty simple, seems like the right message, frustrating that we can't put it into practice.
Christi Madden
This was a quick an inspiring read. Sometimes we get busy and forget why we identify ourselves as affiliated with a particular political party. George McGovern articulates the Democratic values that get to the heart of the matter of the issue of party affiliation. Recommended for those that need a reminder that government is for the people, or those who are open-minded enough to explore what their political identity encompasses.
A nice, short book by the dearly departed George McGovern about his political philosophy. There was a lot in it that I definitely agreed with, and which felt very personal. I wish we had a few more Democrats like him today.
A seasoned politicians view and insights on immigration, job creation, education and other important issues. Essential reading for Democrats as we battle for the presidency in 2012.
I enjoyed spending some time with George McGovern, learning more about him and being reminded of the values supported by Democrats - when I haven't voted Democratic, I've regretted it.
I plan to reread this every election season so that I revisit my values, which are well expressed in this book.
I want to frame every single word of this book. George McGovern is my new hero.
I am so glad I voted fro him in 1972. What happened over the past 40 years?
Excellent, thought provoking book!
I thought it was rather good...
Redskullduggery marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2015
David Blough
David Blough is currently reading it
Nov 14, 2015
Adriana Lilic
Adriana Lilic marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Mark marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2015
patricia jarvis
patricia jarvis is currently reading it
Oct 12, 2015
Megan Lynn
Megan Lynn marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Stephen Shoemaker
Stephen Shoemaker marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Little Blue Book: The Essential Guide to Thinking and Talking Democratic
  • The Lies of George W. Bush: Mastering the Politics of Deception
  • Conscience Of A Liberal: Reclaiming The Compassionate Agenda
  • What Would the Founders Do?: Our Questions, Their Answers
  • Les animaux dénaturés
  • Right is Wrong: How the Lunatic Fringe Hijacked America, Shredded the Constitution, and Made Us All Less Safe
  • Dollarocracy: How the Money and Media Election Complex is Destroying America
  • Fraud of the Century: Rutherford B. Hayes, Samuel Tilden, and the Stolen Election of 1876
  • The Fall of the House of Bush: How a Group of True Believers Put America on the Road to Armageddon
  • The Uprising: An Unauthorized Tour of the Populist Revolt Scaring Wall Street and Washington
  • Your Government Failed You: Breaking the Cycle of National Security Disasters
  • So Far from God: The U.S. War With Mexico, 1846-1848
  • Like a Hurricane: The Indian Movement from Alcatraz to Wounded Knee
  • Red State, Blue State, Rich State, Poor State: Why Americans Vote the Way They Do
  • The Birth of Modern Politics: Andrew Jackson, John Quincy Adams, and the Election of 1828
  • The Good News Club: The Christian Right's Stealth Assault on America's Children
  • Over the Cliff: How Obama's Election Drove the American Right Insane
  • Pity the Billionaire: The Hard-Times Swindle and the Unlikely Comeback of the Right
The son of a Methodist minister, George Stanley McGovern grew up in South Dakota. An indifferent student as a youth, McGovern later credited participation in high school debate with giving him confidence and he graduated in the top 10% of his high school class. His college education was interrupted by World War II, as McGovern enlisted in the U.S. Army Air Force and served as a bomber pilot in Eur ...more
More about George S. McGovern...