Who is Jake Ellis? Volume 1

Who is Jake Ellis? Volume 1 (...Jake Ellis? #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  379 ratings  ·  49 reviews
The multiple-sellout mini-series Newsarama calls "a modern noir package that is not to be missed" and MTV "couldn''t put down " Jon Moore is a mercenary spy on the run, protected only by Jake Ellis, a man invisible to everyone except Jon. Collects Who Is Jake Ellis? #1-5.
Published November 15th 2011 by Image Comics (first published November 8th 2011)

Mike
Argh! I recently read the Who Is Jake Ellis? series and I’m completely torn on how to rate it. In fact, I’m going to forgo my standard pros/cons list and just go with a gut check.

There’s nothing necessarily “bad” about this comic series. It’s a genuinely fun spy/mystery story that plays out like a really good movie (complete with some clever twists and interesting dialogue). At the same time though, I can’t help but wonder if it’ll stand the test of time. In 3 years, will people remember it? Wi...more
Kurt
Dec 09, 2012 Kurt rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kurt by: Matt
A lot of people have imaginary friends. Even, it seems, spies. In this case, Jon Moore, our protagonist, seems untouchable, always one step ahead of the bad guys, and he owes it all to the voice in his head: Jake Ellis, who guides Jon and knows a lot of stuff to the point of maybe being psychic but needs Jon's help to figure out who he is. This, in practice, makes for a lot of staccato dialogue during action sequences ("Run to the left! Duck! Pick that guy's pocket! Two minutes until the police...more
Joe Young
Nathan Edmondson - writer
Tonci Zonjic - illustrator

Jon Moore is a mercenary spy on the run. With the C.I.A., former clients he's betrayed, and a mysterious shadow organization all hot on his trail, it's a good thing Jon has a secret weapon - Jake Ellis, a mysterious, protective figure invisible to everyone but Jon. As the net closes around Jon he is forced to question everything about himself. Who is Jake Ellis and why can only Jon see him? Is Jake a figment of his imagination? But if that's the...more
Joseph Rice
What an excellent, fast paced series. Great thriller.
Rose
Apr 10, 2012 Rose rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Comic lovers who enjoy thriller/suspense spy stories
Recommended to Rose by: NetGalley, Image Comics
"Who Is Jake Ellis?" is a five issue comic combined in this single volume, about a rogue agent on the run from authorities who subjected him to experimental treatments. Jon Moore has been on the run for four years, living incognito alongside an odd presence that exists in his consciousness - a man named Jake Ellis. Jake knows his way around combat and defense, and aims to protect Jon from harm by using his knowledge to warn Jon of danger before its strikes.

When Jon's suddenly approached by agen...more
Andrew Shuping
copy provided by NetGalley

Jon is meeting with a group of...let’s call them gangsters shall we? when things seem to be going to hell. Any normal person would have fallen to a gunshot or to flames, but Jon isn’t normal. He can see and talk to Jake Ellis. A mysterious entity that only he can see, but who provides up-to-date information and warns Jon when things are about to happen. But who is Jake Ellis? And how come only Jon can see him? That’s what both of them are trying to figure out, as they a...more
Arnie Shunneson
This is a book you will read in one day. Very fun graphic novel with an original premise. Generally this would not be my go to type of comic to read but within a few pages I could tell it was going to be good and it was. Very fun and very good. Art was perfect for this type of story. One of the great things about the book is the Hero ask the same questions and reacts the same way that the reader would in this situation. " Who is Jake Ellis? " is great stuff.
Dan
Nathan Edmondson is fast becoming my favourite comics writer. His plots are great, his stories are pure genre, and yet his writing is clear and literary. Tonci Zonjic's art reminds me of the Anton Corbijn directed THE AMERICAN with George Clooney. Who is Jake Ellis?, then - the first graphic novel that totally and consistently gripped me, and the first book that truly helped me get what what comics are or, rather, what comics can be.
Angel
Wow! I picked this up, and I could not put it down. Jon Moore is a simple man, a CIA analyst who becomes a dark ops operative. How does he do it? He has a friend who is a real agent man helping him along the way called Jake Ellis. There is just one little detail: only Jon can see Jake, so who is Jake Ellis? That is part of the mystery in this series. In this installment, Jake gets Jon to come out into the open to go back to a place called the Facility, where apparently Jake and him were experime...more
Bookstorequeer
I very much enjoyed this one! The mystery is well-written and really kept me going. The colouring was also fascinating to look at, especially how they alternated colours while in different settings (having a red wash every other panel to show the flashing of an alarm). It was visually interesting and also intellectually gripping.

I felt like I was coming midway into a story but except for the very first scene shift (which threw me off completely), it all made sense and I felt like I was figuring...more
Adam Connell
Jake Ellis is a great Graphic Novel, not to be missed.

Most Graphic Novels, days and days after you’ve read them, they make less and less sense. Not so with “Who Is Jake Ellis?” This GN makes more and more sense.

Nathan Edmondson’s writing is fun and precise, tough when it needs to be, and always original.

Tonci Zonjic’s artwork is beautiful, spare, evocative. He has a way with light and shadow that borders on the magical. He tells the story with as few lines and as little detail as possible, and t...more
John Clark
Excellent! Very fresh, new, unlike any spy book I've read and that's a good thing. Can't wait for the movie!
Brion Salazar
Just picked this up yesterday and sped though it today. I enjoyed the mystery behind the title and it hurried me through the story as I tried to figure it out. The ending was a little surprising, but also a touch underwhelming. Still a good read. Worth the cost for the artwork alone. Tonci Zonjic's (or To-Zo) linework is stunning in it's simplicity. I was amazed at how much character he derives in a face with just a few lines. Overall a good read and a book that I will go back over in detail so...more
Anthony
Good thriller
Magic Mike
The artwork is cool looking and the story moves very quickly, but I'm not sure how interested I am in answering the titular question. Without really knowing much about any of the characters I can't really care too much about them either. Finding out more about them really isn't too high on my list of things to do either. It's a well made comic for sure, but the story just doesn't really capture my attention.
Sean
May 14, 2013 Sean rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Spy/mystery lovers!
There's nothing like a good mystery. Here, the reader and the main characters, are trying to figure out the mystery at the same time. By the books end we do get some answers but the door is definitely left open for more resolution. The art was a bit rough at times but fits the action. The story could have been fleshed out more but the book was very good.
Maurice Carlos Ruffin
This graphic novel gets all the basics right. The set up is intriguing. The art work is gorgeous. However, the big ideas about identity and privacy are a bit undercooked, and there's a surprising lack of humor in a story where there's plenty of room for it.

Worth taking 30 minutes or so to read? Yes.
But only if you don't have a better book nearby.
Mike Lewis
My first though after finishing this book was that I should start reading it again. It was easy to read, clever and held my interest very well. It provides a pretty good cliffhanger at the end. I didn't really like the art style - I found it a bit basic for my tastes. But still, I would totally pick up the next ones when they come out.
Caroline
This is a great looking book and the espionage/intrigue/sci-fi premise grabbed me right off. I felt like it was a little light on content -- perhaps of necessity if they only had a 5 issue series to start with, though I still felt like the creators picked style over substance. I'm interested enough to seek out the next volume.
Jeff
An intriguing concept, but not I wasn't able to get into it -- something about the pacing seemed off, and was distracting too much from the characters and plot.
Steven Pattison
Former cia agent Jon Moore is on the run and searching for answers from the unnamed agency who tortured him and he gets help by a ghost Jake Ellis who only Jon can see - a fairly conventional story but the artwork was good and the narrative moved so fast its hard not to enjoy reading books like this one.
Alex Sarll
Another high-concept new series from Image; alas, also another where beyond said concept (an international criminal helped by what initially seems to be his imaginary friend), there's competent storytelling but nothing that gripped me.
David Williams
Great story. Nathan Edmonson is definitely a rising star. A former CIA employee was kidnapped. Along the way he picked up Jake Ellis. A strange a different friend. Action, intrigue, and a mystery that will leave you saying WOW!
Vinton Bayne
A great change of pace from the types of graphic novels I normally read. It kept me on the edge the whole way through, I couldn't put it down and I want to read more. I hope a sequel one day emerges.
Josh
A really interesting concept that starts off with a bang. The first chapter is very fast paced and draws you in quickly. An excellent read and I'm very excited to see how Where is Jake Ellis plays out.
Mark P

Really cool, like Fight Club meets the Bourne Identity. Cool art, cool sequences, and a satisfying done-in-one-volume story. Recommended even for casual comics readers.
Andy Grabia

Interesting, if too similar to the Bourne series of books/movies. Supposed to be a mini-series, but it certainly ended like there's more to come. Guess we'll see.
Shannon Appelcline

A good action-adventure comic with an interesting twist. I was a bit surprised at how quickly they were unearthing answers, but I’m still interested in what’s next.
Matt Piechocinski
The art is great, so is the story, until it ends ... hopefully, there's more coming because this initial installment felt just like just the tip of the iceberg.
Geeks and Books: February - Who is Jake Ellis? 1 3 Feb 24, 2012 09:15AM
  • Casanova, Vol. 2: Gula
  • Sleeper: Season One
  • Under the Knife (Witch Doctor, #1)
  • Orc Stain, Vol. 1
  • Joe the Barbarian
  • Chimichanga
  • Fear Agent, Volume 1: Re-Ignition
  • Jim Henson's Tale of Sand
Black Widow #1 (All-New Marvel Now Black Widow, #1) Black Widow #2 (All-New Marvel Now Black Widow, #2) Black Widow (2014-) #3 Grifter, Vol. 1: Most Wanted The Activity: Volume 1