Start by marking “Who is Jake Ellis?” as Want to Read:
Who is Jake Ellis?

Who is Jake Ellis? (...Jake Ellis? #1)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  538 ratings  ·  68 reviews
The multiple-sellout mini-series Newsarama calls "a modern noir package that is not to be missed" and MTV "couldn''t put down " Jon Moore is a mercenary spy on the run, protected only by Jake Ellis, a man invisible to everyone except Jon. Collects Who Is Jake Ellis? #1-5.
Published November 15th 2011 by Image Comics (first published November 8th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Who is Jake Ellis?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who is Jake Ellis?

The Voices Inside My Head: Part II

Jon Moore, former CIA analyst, has someone living inside his head. His name is Jake Ellis. Jake helps Jon out of tight situations. He can spot the bad guys before Jon does. He can tell him what’s behind closed doors. He guides him past security cameras. The voices inside my head are only good for telling me that I’m divine, warning me that everyone’s out to get me and letting me know when it’s okay to wear my orange swim dress.

How did Jake happen to end up in
This is a solid espionage thriller, with one big twist: the voice that directs Jon on his missions doesn't come from an earpiece, but from inside his own head. Since escaping from the mysterious Facility, Jon has been sharing his head with Jake Ellis, and Jake has been the brains of their operation. And now, it's time to face the Facility.

This is a really absorbing read, with great action and plenty of mystery. At the end of the book, there's still lots of questions left unanswered, and a sense
Stylish in a very controlled and cold way, but underdeveloped, generic, clichéd, and ultimately forgettable. Think Jacob's Ladder or Bourne Identity, just not as good.
OK see, THIS, I like. I'm not sure what it's in the vein of, but it's kinda spy/thriller/Memento/Bourne.

Jon Moore is a CIA-op, Jake Ellis is his partner. However...Jake's not really there...or is he? All Jon knows is that Jake can help get him out of just about any jam and has all kinds of senses before things happen (pretty handy in a wingman.)

Who is Jon really? Who is Jake really? Where/What is the Facility? Is this happening for real?

I don't want to go much more into it than that, but Ya. Coo
Joseph Rice
What an excellent, fast paced series. Great thriller.
Argh! I recently read the Who Is Jake Ellis? series and I’m completely torn on how to rate it. In fact, I’m going to forgo my standard pros/cons list and just go with a gut check.

There’s nothing necessarily “bad” about this comic series. It’s a genuinely fun spy/mystery story that plays out like a really good movie (complete with some clever twists and interesting dialogue). At the same time though, I can’t help but wonder if it’ll stand the test of time. In 3 years, will people remember it? Wi
Dec 09, 2012 Kurt rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kurt by: Matt
A lot of people have imaginary friends. Even, it seems, spies. In this case, Jon Moore, our protagonist, seems untouchable, always one step ahead of the bad guys, and he owes it all to the voice in his head: Jake Ellis, who guides Jon and knows a lot of stuff to the point of maybe being psychic but needs Jon's help to figure out who he is. This, in practice, makes for a lot of staccato dialogue during action sequences ("Run to the left! Duck! Pick that guy's pocket! Two minutes until the police ...more
Adam Connell
Jake Ellis is a great Graphic Novel, not to be missed.

Most Graphic Novels, days and days after you’ve read them, they make less and less sense. Not so with “Who Is Jake Ellis?” This GN makes more and more sense.

Nathan Edmondson’s writing is fun and precise, tough when it needs to be, and always original.

Tonci Zonjic’s artwork is beautiful, spare, evocative. He has a way with light and shadow that borders on the magical. He tells the story with as few lines and as little detail as possible, and t
Joe Young
Nathan Edmondson - writer
Tonci Zonjic - illustrator

Jon Moore is a mercenary spy on the run. With the C.I.A., former clients he's betrayed, and a mysterious shadow organization all hot on his trail, it's a good thing Jon has a secret weapon - Jake Ellis, a mysterious, protective figure invisible to everyone but Jon. As the net closes around Jon he is forced to question everything about himself. Who is Jake Ellis and why can only Jon see him? Is Jake a figment of his imagination? But if that's the
Skye Kilaen
Jon Moore is former spy on the run, now working as a mercenary. He has an edge many in his profession don't. That edge is Jake Ellis, a ghost, or possibly a hallucination, who appears only to Jon.

Things are going passably well until some very scary people start chasing them, and it becomes crucial to find out what the government did to Jon four years ago - and who Jake really is. I have such a hard time figuring out what else I can tell you without spoilers!

SO I'll just say that I love Tonči Zo
Now this is a novel spy/thriller graphic novel. The lead, Jon Moore, is an agent with a conscience. Or at least a voice (and image) in his head that is very useful for surviving unpleasant situations. Who it is, and why it is there, and what both of them want to do about it, is what makes up the story, and it reads very well. A little predictable, but in such a novel situation, it's good to have some familiar tropes to grasp. The art is well done - recognizable without going for an excess of det ...more
This comic series is perfect for someone who like spy thrillers. I blazed through all 5 editions in one sitting and can't wait for more issues to come out.
Apr 10, 2012 Rose rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Comic lovers who enjoy thriller/suspense spy stories
Recommended to Rose by: NetGalley, Image Comics
"Who Is Jake Ellis?" is a five issue comic combined in this single volume, about a rogue agent on the run from authorities who subjected him to experimental treatments. Jon Moore has been on the run for four years, living incognito alongside an odd presence that exists in his consciousness - a man named Jake Ellis. Jake knows his way around combat and defense, and aims to protect Jon from harm by using his knowledge to warn Jon of danger before its strikes.

When Jon's suddenly approached by agen
Andy Shuping
copy provided by NetGalley

Jon is meeting with a group of...let’s call them gangsters shall we? when things seem to be going to hell. Any normal person would have fallen to a gunshot or to flames, but Jon isn’t normal. He can see and talk to Jake Ellis. A mysterious entity that only he can see, but who provides up-to-date information and warns Jon when things are about to happen. But who is Jake Ellis? And how come only Jon can see him? That’s what both of them are trying to figure out, as they a
Arnie Shunneson
This is a book you will read in one day. Very fun graphic novel with an original premise. Generally this would not be my go to type of comic to read but within a few pages I could tell it was going to be good and it was. Very fun and very good. Art was perfect for this type of story. One of the great things about the book is the Hero ask the same questions and reacts the same way that the reader would in this situation. " Who is Jake Ellis? " is great stuff.
Jimmy Brown
Great action-thriller from Nathan Edmondson that is in turns exciting and intriguing with fantastic art by Tonči Zonjić. The talented Croatian artist draws everything clearly and makes the action sequences jump out of the page. The story drags ever so slightly and if reading this in a five issue monthly basis, I can see that may be a problem for some. Reading it in one go, though and such minor quibbles can be forgiven.
Wow! I picked this up, and I could not put it down. Jon Moore is a simple man, a CIA analyst who becomes a dark ops operative. How does he do it? He has a friend who is a real agent man helping him along the way called Jake Ellis. There is just one little detail: only Jon can see Jake, so who is Jake Ellis? That is part of the mystery in this series. In this installment, Jake gets Jon to come out into the open to go back to a place called the Facility, where apparently Jake and him were experime ...more
Chad Harmon
I liked the premise and the story. The art was great, reminded me of David Aja's run on Hawkeye. The only thing I didn't care for was the ending. It felt rushed, like the book had been cancelled and they had to tie everything up in one issue. My favorite thing I've read from Nathan Edmondson.
I very much enjoyed this one! The mystery is well-written and really kept me going. The colouring was also fascinating to look at, especially how they alternated colours while in different settings (having a red wash every other panel to show the flashing of an alarm). It was visually interesting and also intellectually gripping.

I felt like I was coming midway into a story but except for the very first scene shift (which threw me off completely), it all made sense and I felt like I was figuring
This is a fun, fast-paced graphic novel. We follow Jon Moore as he tries to stay alive and uncover what happened to him four years ago when Jake Ellis appeared as his "guardian angel." What happened to Jon (and where did Jake come from)? I'm looking forward to the second volume.
Federiken Masters
Me hizo acordar bastante al Sleeper de Brubaker y Phillips pero me me enganchó y sorprendió menos. Aun así, me dejó con ganas de ver para dónde dispara el tomo 2, sobre todo porque este tiene un final relativamente cerrado.
Who is Jake Ellis is based on an interesting concept, what if the voice in your head developed a mind of its own. Good illustrations and fast paced action make this a quick read.

This is the best I've read from Nathan Edmondson. The art style is also really good and well-suited to the story.
John Clark
Excellent! Very fresh, new, unlike any spy book I've read and that's a good thing. Can't wait for the movie!
"put all these tropes on top of each other! call it noir! everyone will love it!"
not really
Jay Dubs
Really great! Strong form start to finish. Lots of action and intrigue.
The Bourne Identity with a twist.
Brion Salazar
Just picked this up yesterday and sped though it today. I enjoyed the mystery behind the title and it hurried me through the story as I tried to figure it out. The ending was a little surprising, but also a touch underwhelming. Still a good read. Worth the cost for the artwork alone. Tonci Zonjic's (or To-Zo) linework is stunning in it's simplicity. I was amazed at how much character he derives in a face with just a few lines. Overall a good read and a book that I will go back over in detail so ...more
4.5 stars? It's original.
Good thriller
  • Joe the Barbarian
  • Fury Max: My War Gone By Volume 2
  • Light Brigade
  • Starlight
  • Zero, Vol. 1: An Emergency (Zero #1)
  • MIND MGMT, Vol. 1: The Manager