Start by marking “Russische Volkssprookjes” as Want to Read:
Russische Volkssprookjes

Russische Volkssprookjes

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,950 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews
De vuurvogel en Wassillissa, de tsarendochter; De dieremelk; De kater en de vos; en andere klassieke Russische volkssprookjes.
Paperback, Prisma-boeken no. 1792, 192 pages
Published 1980 by Het Spectrum (first published 1863)

To ask other readers questions about Russische Volkssprookjes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Russische Volkssprookjes

Portret van een onbekend meisje by Aleksandr SkorobogatovAnna Karenina by Leo TolstoyMisdaad en straf by Fyodor DostoyevskyDe gebroeders Karamazow by Fyodor DostoyevskyAarde zonder water by Aleksandr Skorobogatov
Dutch translations of Russian books
17th out of 71 books — 24 voters
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor DostoyevskyAnna Karenina by Leo TolstoyThe Master and Margarita by Mikhail BulgakovThe Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor DostoyevskyWar and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
MUST READ RUSSIAN CLASSICS
76th out of 115 books — 91 voters

More lists with this book...

oh carlyn what key
seriously there is nothing more weird and bewildering and beautiful than russian fairy tales. first of all the titles are incredible. "if you don't like it, don't listen" is a classic example. the way they end is my favorite part. often the story is clipped short by: "i was there, i drank mead with the king and it got in my beard but did not spill into my mouth." or other such brilliance. and baba yaga and her chicken-leg hut? don't even get me started.
rae
Jan 29, 2008 rae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i am a sucker for fairy tales in general, but this collection gives me insight into gogol's imaginative workings... absurdities, odd, cruel, dry humor... and excellent illustrations to boot...
Sandra
The synopsis for this particular edition is, for some reason, in English instead of in Dutch - the reason I mention this is because the Dutch edition only includes 50 fairytales, and not the 200 promised in the English synopsis.

Russia has always interested me greatly, but I personally haven't gotten around reading any of the great classics just yet. I grew up with Russian folk songs (especially when a certain Belgian guy by the name of Helmut Lotti decided to record them as well), my mom loves R
Janet
May 28, 2011 Janet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: russia
This is a vast compendium of folk tales (no fairies, really, in Russian folklore)... but they seem often to be the same story with various character configurations, having a hard time 'feeling' the subject matter. Think this is going to be more of a reference book than a 'read'. Think I'd enjoy a more realized version of the stories--like in individual picture books.

*************
As I go along, I find it's more engaging. I've found a better tempo, slower rather than faster.

**************
Russian
Monica
Feb 23, 2014 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This is a collection Russian Fairy Tales. There is love, death, and betrayal, as with all good tales.

The narrative is detailed, vivid, often emotional, and evocative.

Characters are sometimes emotional, caring, and humorous.

Overall, a fun read.
Insania
Sep 19, 2012 Insania rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Afanasjev spese l'intera sua vita raccogliendo le antiche fiabe che si faceva raccontare dalle anziane bocche di tutta la Russia. La collezione che è pervenuta sino a noi è sterminata: ma non è tanto la quantità delle fiabe ad impressionare, quanto la loro straordinaria capacità di evocare nel lettore una Russia d'altri tempi, ricostruita tramite l'immaginario popolare folcloristico del tempo.
Potenti e sinistre baba yaghe, bellissime principesse, sagge fanciulle, intrepidi contadini, principi do
Renée Poffley
Dec 01, 2014 Renée Poffley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tales, russian

This Russian imagining of “Little Brother and Little Sister” by Aleksandr Afanas’ev, a renowned Russian ethnographer, has simultaneously more well-rounded characters and less connection between minor characters. It contains the fairy tale motif of three, a sorceress, an enchanted baby goat kid, a king, a bizarre drowning, and a happy ending.

It begins with siblings who have recently been orphaned by their parents, who happened to be king and queen. In spite of this fact, they are alone and wander

Kate
May 13, 2014 Kate rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
An excellent starting point for anyone interested in fairy tales from non-western cultures; the differences between these and Grimm's are plainly apparent, but they're still familiar enough to be approachable without much need of explanation or introduction. There's a pretty broad mix of theme, and nearly all are appropriate for young children. I first ran across this book in a teacher's yard sale, and it's been a fast favourite ever since. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Jinglemarco
Apr 24, 2015 Jinglemarco marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition

Che cosa carina che il nuovo cartone animato del momento ha origini in una fiaba russa, non come quello schifo abominevole della maialina ritardata Peppa Rincoglionita Pig.
Credo che prima o poi mi procurerò questo volume. :)
Horus
Apr 23, 2015 Horus rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fairy-tales, russia
The only reason I didn't give this book a higher rating was due to its readability. This is a translation of the original collection of fairy tales as compiled by Aleksandr Afanas'ev. While a great resource, there are many very similar stories with very repetitive plot lines and some views that would no longer be considered politically correct. This is, however, a great resource for story tellers, writers and students of Russian literature. There is a great, if short analysis at the end of the b ...more
Themightyx
Feb 01, 2016 Themightyx rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Russian fairy tales are really, really weird. But I collect fairy tales and I don't regret reading all 630 pages of this, although I was constantly telling my family about the weirdness that kept happening. Like the guy who crawled into the horse's ear and "ate and drank his fill." Presumably there's a feast in this horse's ear, but ew! Or the commonality of fratricide, princesses with similar names, and pointless stories that didn't really have endings.

Fairy tales connect us with our pasts. Th
Ariel
Jul 18, 2014 Ariel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
man the Russians are depressing!
Sep 04, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mi Infancia
Gijs Grob
Selectie uit de door Afanasjev verzamelde en opgetekende Russische volkssprookjes. Deze onderscheiden zich van de West-Europese volkssprookjes door typische regelmatig terugkerende figuren: de heks Baba Jaga, die in een hut op kippenpoten woont, dat 'verkeerd staat', zich voortbeweegt in een vijzel en die soms een of meer dochters heeft, en Kosjtsei de onsterfelijke, wiens dood zich op een schier onvindbare plaats bevindt. Gek genoeg zien de sprookjesvertellers er geen been in om deze twee vaste ...more
Mary Catelli
This is, of course, only a selection of his collected works. A fair number of animal tales intermingled, some tales of sillies, among the wonder tales.

As an extensive overview of Russian fairy tales, it's better than most such collections I've read, but I like it less than the other collections (russian and otherwise) I've been reading. I don't know whether it's the translation or possibly a disproportionate number of unhappy endings (though still a minority).

But here we have Vasilisa the Beauti
Diane
Aug 07, 2014 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: folklore
This is the largest, most comprehensive collection of Russian fairy tales I have come across. Jeremiah Curtin used similar tales in his "Myths and Folk Tales of the Russians, Western Slavs, and Magyars," which was published in 1903. However, he edited the tales to make them more suitable for his Western audience. I have read other versions of these tales - "Vasilisa the Fair," "Baba Yaga," "Maria Morevna," etc. - but it is nice to read the original versions. This is a large volume, and you can s ...more
Kay
Aug 04, 2007 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of these fairy tales, as I recall, used to reduce my husband and I to helpless laughter. They were like mirror images of Western fairy tales. Instead of getting a pot of gold (or other reward) by climbing the beanstalk, the hapless climber would end up falling to the earth. So much for reaching for the sky! Nothing ever good seemed to come of many of the magical encounters. It all seemed distinctly Russian.

We'd comb through the book, reading aloud the tales that captured our fancy. There's
Kim
This is a really delightful collection. Afanasyev traveled around Russia collecting folktales. Many of these are very short and some of them are quite dark. You have to shift through a lot of wife beating to get to the good stuff. There's a lot of outsmarting witches and dragons and princes who aren't worth marrying. And there's a lot of wicked stepmothers. There are also just a lot of stories about people and animals exploiting other people's misfortune for their own profit. There aren't too ma ...more
Jan 07, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Afanasyev collected oral tales in much the same way that the Grimms did, and this is his complete collection. Russian fairy tales are...different. You can definitely tell they are supposed to be told aloud. I found myself reading them to my husband in bed before we'd go to sleep. The endings are often abrupt, and dark. Very dark. Lots of tales of Ivan and other Russian heros. I particularly loved the tales with Baba Yaga in them. And I loved the sing-song tropes that are common throughout the ta ...more
Ricardo Sanchez
Sep 14, 2015 Ricardo Sanchez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un total de cuarenta y un cuentos rusos llenos de fantasía. El amor, el engaño, la sabiduría y la desgracia son temáticas recurrentes en estos relatos. Muchos quedan impregnando nuestra mente con paisajes de una antigua Rusia, llena de leyendas, brujas, dragones e instrumentos mágicos. La cultura popular zarista con todas sus costumbres que se enlaza a los mitos de oriente y Europa, me asombra un relato que inclusive tiene tintes vampíricos. En esta antología podemos ver la universalidad del cue ...more
Brian Murray
I'll admit that I have not read Afanasyev's collection in its entirety, but more than enough to get the gist of the work. It's a collection. Some stories will be good. Other's will be bad. Some of my favorites were ones that echoed traditional western fairy tales like Cinderella and Snow White as well as ones that were distinctly Russian. It's not something I would ever read for enjoyment. Most of these stories feel quick, bland, and unmemorable. It is a great document as a representation of Rus ...more
Charlie
No book for beginners

Even though some aspects of fairy tales may seem suitable for foreign language learners - constant repitition, simple themes - this book is not 100 % suitable for beginners of the Russian language. The translation is great and helps a lot though unfortunately very many words are archaic, no longer used today. Also the plot jumps from one place to the next making it hard to guess the meaning of unknown words.
On the other hand this aspect makes the stories fun to read. The Ru
branewurms
I LOVED this collection. Too bad there aren't any notes on the locales the stories were collected from, though. The commentary at the end was a bit dry, too, and didn't really discuss much about the things I was most interested in knowing more about, such as the meaning and significance of certain repeated phrases and situations that aren't necessarily all that clear to the modern (and American) reader.

I'm most interested in the stories themselves, though, and this was a wonderful collection, a
Dec 23, 2015 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love fairy tales and this was a great book full of interesting, funny and sometimes tragic stories.
Không Biết
good and interesting story
J. Aleksandr Wootton
I purchased this for a course in Russian folklore I took in college, and recently re-read it. It's a longer collection than most (including Grimm's), offered without commentary, and very enjoyable. While sharing certain oratorical formulas with Scandinavian folklore (many-headed dragons v. many-headed trolls, Otherworld beings detecting hidden heroes by smelling Russian blood rather than Christian blood), there is a flavor to these tales that is distinctly Russian.
Marianna Bookmarks are Reader's Best Friends Rainolter
Molto carino. Alcune storie sono belle e ricordano favole più "tradizionali", altre sono nuove ma molto curiose. Ci sono alcune trame che si ripetono e alcuni punti non mi sono quadrati, ma non conoscendo il russo non potrei guardare l'originale.
La favola principale (?), quella di Masha e Orso è breve ma carina e un po' si vede lo spunto dal quale è partita la serie animata, però non fermatevi a quella: ci sono favole molto più belle!
Bunny
Too weird. Even for me, who lives for weird.

I have to think a lot gets lost in translation. It just has to. I mean, they got married, and chewed bread for the rest of their lives? Do what?

And then the fairy tales aren't even well thought out. "They did this and this. And then something happened, and she turned into a dove."

"Something happened"? Literally? That's your great plot twist?

No. No, no, no.
CJSilvie
Sep 17, 2013 CJSilvie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For those who have read and looked into The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales it's clear to see that the Russians have played a big part in the fairytale tradition. This does not dissapoint, athough there is the occasional tale repeated almost word for word.
Mariana
Jan 17, 2015 Mariana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: folklore
As any book of fairytales this one is full of dakness and death. It is very rich in differente tales some about animals others about princes and princess, witchs, demons and poor farmers. Some of the fairytales in the book are very similiar in the way the hero works out his troubles and defeats the evil. I enjoyed reading for the first time tales with Baba Yaga.
  • Norwegian Folktales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Chinese Fairy Tales and Fantasies
  • Japanese Tales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Folktales from India (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • African Folktales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Arab Folktales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Favorite Folktales from Around the World (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Irish Fairy and Folk Tales
  • Swedish Folktales and Legends
  • English Fairy Tales
  • Perrault's Fairy Tales
  • The Oxford Book of Modern Fairy Tales
  • Italian Folktales
  • Latin American Folktales: Stories from Hispanic and Indian Traditions (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • French Folktales (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Irish Folk Tales
  • Northern Tales: Stories from the Native Peoples of the Arctic and Sub-Arctic Regions (Pantheon Fairy Tale and Folklore Library)
  • Yiddish Folktales