Start by marking “Java Puzzlers: Traps, Pitfalls, and Corner Cases” as Want to Read:
Java Puzzlers: Traps, Pitfalls, and Corner Cases

Java Puzzlers: Traps, Pitfalls, and Corner Cases

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  266 ratings  ·  17 reviews
""Every programming language has its quirks. This lively book reveals oddities of the Java programming language through entertaining and thought-provoking programming puzzles.""

--Guy Steele, Sun Fellow and coauthor of "The Java(TM) Language Specification"

""I laughed, I cried, I threw up (my hands in admiration).""

--Tim Peierls, president, Prior Artisans LLC, and member of
Published September 1st 2005 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published June 24th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Java Puzzlers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Java Puzzlers

Effective Java Programming Language Guide by Joshua BlochThinking in Java by Bruce EckelJava Concurrency in Practice by Brian GoetzJava Cookbook by Ian F. DarwinJava in a Nutshell by David Flanagan
JAVA
10th out of 19 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Paul
Feb 14, 2013 Paul rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: java
If you program in Java, you _must_ read this book. It is a real eye-opener to the kind of traps in your code you wouldn't even imagine could be there.

I can guarantee you have written at least one of these issues into your code. And QA never caught it. And it is out in the wild RIGHT NOW. Arrgh!!

More at http://tardate.blogspot.com/2009/06/j...
Angel S
This books has a lot of good puzzles designed to make you think about how Java works.
Armineh Nouri
Do not read this book if:
- you're looking to learn about the fundamentals of algorithm design and analysis.

Do read this book if:
- you'd like to know more about Java, the JVM, the intricacies of OOP, or the history of some cool visual illusions.
Kyi Aung
This book needs no introduction. A very fun and insightful read for those who want to master Java.
Turaaa
You wont find here good job interview questions , and you wont learn practical things about Java.
Most of the puzzles here are about cases you will probably never encounter. But it is a fun read that will show you that there are many things you don't know about Java .
Also, this book can make you more perceptive about details in code you usually don't notice.
Christian Brumm
If you are a Java-Guru this might be fun to read. I found a lot of the puzzles more annoying than educational (especially the problems regarding unicode). In general, I found the puzzles to be overly esoteric. If you want to learn something about Java, pick one of Joshua Bloch's other (excellent!) books.
Väinö Leppänen
I had no idea about all the things that I didn't know :)
Java is a complicated language and after reading this book you'll think so too. I have also read Joshua Bloch's Effective Java and it's a good companion book for this one; they're book very good and worth the a read (or two).
Andrey
Most of the problems won't appear in practice if you are following best practices and keep code clean and concise. Book is fun but will be mostly useless for experienced Java programmer.
Stephen Mak
John
Great way to learn the corner cases of the Java language up to Java 5. Java 6 and 7 editions would make interesting reads, when available.
Owen Lindsell
For nerds only. Mildy interesting, but not the kind of thing you'd want to use for interview questions.
Katja
Not terribly useful or entertaining but the appendix is worth going through.
Danilo Mutti
boring boring boring and did I mention boring?
Saifuddin Merchant
It's a definite must read ...
Mills College Library
005.133 B6513 2005
Eldar Necefov
епкпе
Teja Prabhu
Teja Prabhu marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Rado
Rado added it
Oct 20, 2014
Alexander
Alexander marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Bert Roex
Bert Roex marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Sagar
Sagar marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Igor Flysta
Igor Flysta marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2014
Mejarikumar
Mejarikumar marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Houda Taouli
Houda Taouli marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
  • Java Concurrency in Practice
  • Java Generics and Collections
  • Concurrent Programming in Java: Design Principles and Pattern
  • Thinking in Java
  • Java™ Performance
  • The Well-Grounded Java Developer: Vital techniques of Java 7 and polyglot programming
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions
  • Programming in Scala
  • Spring in Action
  • Agile Software Development, Principles, Patterns, and Practices
  • Working Effectively with Legacy Code

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Effective Java Programming Language Guide Java Concurrency in Practice Jaba Heikō Shori Puroguramingu: Sono Kiban To Saishin Eipīai O Kiwameru