Java Puzzlers: Traps, Pitfalls, and Corner Cases

Java Puzzlers: Traps, Pitfalls, and Corner Cases

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  249 ratings  ·  16 reviews
""Every programming language has its quirks. This lively book reveals oddities of the Java programming language through entertaining and thought-provoking programming puzzles.""

--Guy Steele, Sun Fellow and coauthor of "The Java(TM) Language Specification"

""I laughed, I cried, I threw up (my hands in admiration).""

--Tim Peierls, president, Prior Artisans LLC, and member of...more
Published September 1st 2005 by Addison-Wesley Professional (first published June 24th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Java Puzzlers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Java Puzzlers

Effective Java Programming Language Guide by Joshua BlochThinking in Java by Bruce EckelJava Concurrency in Practice by Brian GoetzJava Cookbook by Ian F. DarwinJava in a Nutshell by David Flanagan
JAVA
10th out of 19 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Paul
Feb 14, 2013 Paul rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: java
If you program in Java, you _must_ read this book. It is a real eye-opener to the kind of traps in your code you wouldn't even imagine could be there.

I can guarantee you have written at least one of these issues into your code. And QA never caught it. And it is out in the wild RIGHT NOW. Arrgh!!

More at http://tardate.blogspot.com/2009/06/j...
Angel S
This books has a lot of good puzzles designed to make you think about how Java works.
Armineh Nouri
Do not read this book if:
- you're looking to learn about the fundamentals of algorithm design and analysis.

Do read this book if:
- you'd like to know more about Java, the JVM, the intricacies of OOP, or the history of some cool visual illusions.
Kyi Aung
This book needs no introduction. A very fun and insightful read for those who want to master Java.
Turaaa
You wont find here good job interview questions , and you wont learn practical things about Java.
Most of the puzzles here are about cases you will probably never encounter. But it is a fun read that will show you that there are many things you don't know about Java .
Also, this book can make you more perceptive about details in code you usually don't notice.
Christian Brumm
If you are a Java-Guru this might be fun to read. I found a lot of the puzzles more annoying than educational (especially the problems regarding unicode). In general, I found the puzzles to be overly esoteric. If you want to learn something about Java, pick one of Joshua Bloch's other (excellent!) books.
Väinö Leppänen
I had no idea about all the things that I didn't know :)
Java is a complicated language and after reading this book you'll think so too. I have also read Joshua Bloch's Effective Java and it's a good companion book for this one; they're book very good and worth the a read (or two).
Stephen Mak
John
Great way to learn the corner cases of the Java language up to Java 5. Java 6 and 7 editions would make interesting reads, when available.
Owen Lindsell
For nerds only. Mildy interesting, but not the kind of thing you'd want to use for interview questions.
Katja
Not terribly useful or entertaining but the appendix is worth going through.
Danilo Mutti
boring boring boring and did I mention boring?
Saifuddin Merchant
It's a definite must read ...
Mills College Library
005.133 B6513 2005
Eldar Necefov
епкпе
Pravir Ahuja
Pravir Ahuja marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Praveen K
Praveen K marked it as to-read
Mehawk
Mehawk added it
Sara
Sara marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Anatoliy Zubkov
Anatoliy Zubkov marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Amber
Amber added it
Aug 17, 2014
  • Java Concurrency in Practice
  • Thinking in Java
  • Enterprise Integration Patterns: Designing, Building, and Deploying Messaging Solutions
  • Core Java, Volume II--Advanced Features
  • Spring in Action
  • SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 6 Study Guide
  • Programming in Scala
  • Programming Pearls
  • Test Driven Development: By Example
  • xUnit Test Patterns: Refactoring Test Code (Addison Wesley Signature)
  • The Architecture of Open Source Applications
  • Java Persistence with Hibernate
  • Domain-Driven Design: Tackling Complexity in the Heart of Software
  • Working Effectively with Legacy Code
  • Patterns of Enterprise Application Architecture
  • The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers
  • Head First Servlets and JSP: Passing the Sun Certified Web Component Developer Exam

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Effective Java Programming Language Guide Effective Java (Java Series) Java Concurrency in Practice Jaba Heikō Shori Puroguramingu: Sono Kiban To Saishin Eipīai O Kiwameru