Start by marking “The Doll” as Want to Read:
The Doll

The Doll

3.38 of 5 stars 3.38  ·  rating details  ·  1,905 ratings  ·  258 reviews
The Island of the Dolls is a strange and eerie tourist destination in Mexico, where hundreds of decomposing dolls hang from trees like grisly Christmas ornaments. On a trip to the island, Joyce Parker's daughter falls in love with a beautiful but sinister doll. Soon after, she starts developing strange mannerisms that concerns Joyce. Her research into the doll's past revea ...more
Published October 3rd 2011 by Smashwords (first published October 2nd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Doll, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doll

Veronica Morfi
Rating: 4/5

Really creepy and disturbing story. Especially for me since I am terrified of dolls. Great horror story. If only there was more.
Quentin Wallace
Nice, creepy short story. Dolls creep me out, so this was automatically a good one for me. It wasn't the most groundbreaking story, as the basic premise has been done before, but overall still not a bad horror story.
Robert
I admit I like free shit. I also admit I’m not entirely rational in my thought process. For example, I happily hand over my Bouchercon and Left Coast Crime Conference fees and feel like I’ve won the lottery when I receive a bag filled with books. Seriously, this ends up being one of the major highlights of these conferences. So in my continued pursuit of this high, minus the conference fees, I have decided to scour Amazon for the best free short stories and books available. With that being said, ...more
Zoeytron
This short story had nothing new to offer in the horror vein, and its predictability was of the eye rolling variety. The writing seemed almost childish to me. Short stories work with limited space, so they really need to snap; sadly, this one did not. It would probably work a lot better for someone who has not read very much of this genre. The price was free, so no harm done.
Charlene
A creepy little short that was fun to read. I've always harbored a strange fear of dolls. Reading a short story about an entire island with dolls hanging from trees and whatnot did nothing to alleviate my fears.
Angel Gelique
I've had this eBook for quite some time now and finally got around to reading it. I was not disappointed! This short story captured my interest from the first page. It is well-written and the characters are realistic. I just had to know what was going to happen next. Joyce and her six-year-old daughter take a trip to Mexico and visit an island where they find dolls dangling in tribute to a young girl who drowned. The guide warns the tourists not to touch the dolls. To do so is prohibited and wou ...more
Lou
A nice little short and creepy read. Dolls and talk of voodo on a boat sightseeing tour serve a good chilling little read.

"Dolls of all sizes, in various states of decay, hung from trees like grisly christmas ornaments. Most have lost limbs, eyes, or entire torsos to the passage of time. With their still plump cherub cheeks, they would have been pretty once upon at time, looking at home in a little girls bedroom - a little girl like Taylor. Now, their grimy, cracked complexions and missing eyes
Stuart Keane
Clowns. Monsters under the bed. Dolls. Children.

As a child (or an adult) there are many things in horror folklore and society that trigger the fear response in all of us. J.C. Martin takes the latter two and combines them to tension filled, suspenseful effect.

A short story, easily enjoyed in one sitting, the story details a mother and her child as they visit the Island of the Dolls in Mexico. The mother, initially hesitant, becomes more and more horrified as the tour is conducted and the secrets
Courtney Wells
The Doll is what I would consider to be a by-the-book horror story and I don't necessarily think that's a terrible thing. It's pacing and plot aren't going to surprises many veteran fans of the horror genre who enjoy spooky stories; however, I feel that the effort was well-executed with foreboding and creepiness applied in the right places.

Something I feel Martin deserves credit and respect for is how much research she included in her story. The island mentioned in the story is an actual place I
Cherie
J.C. Martin's THE DOLL is a delightfully creepy novelette and a must-read for any horror lover.

Joyce Parker and her daughter journey to Mexico's Island of the Dolls. If the hanging dolls weren't scary enough, the dark altar to a drowned child will, at least to Joyce. Her daughter is delighted with the dolls and wants to take one for her own. Unfortunately for Joyce and her family, the horror is just beginning.

THE DOLL may be a quick read, but it packs a punch in the horror world. Every word is n
Kelsey
Woahhhhh that was creepy.
Michael Brancato
This book is awesome!! I really loved how J.C. Martin added in some suspense.

This was an enjoyable read!
Ken
A creepy little short story about Mexico's "Island of the Dolls" (Google it! You won't be disappointed!). Having seen the "Island of the Dolls" featured on a couple of TV shows, I found this short story very interesting.

4 STARS
Kat Desi
Great short story, creepy. I love the occult reference. But I can't say that I didn't see the ending coming.
Marc-Antoine
Marvelously scary, excessively spooky, what horror stories should all be like.
N.G.
Reseña en español: http://spanglishbookblog.wordpress.co...

"The disembodied head dangled from the overhanging branch, staring at Joyce Parker with once glass eye."

Joyce and Taylor (mother and daughter) were in an expedition located in Mexico. Everything was great and pretty until they arrived in the island of the dolls. This island is full of broken dolls in honor to a child who drowned many years ago by mysterious circumstances...the problem is that the ghost's child liked company, if
Medeia Sharif
Joyce and her daughter Taylor go to the Island of the Dolls, an island in Mexico where creepy dolls dangle and rot. The island is dedicated to Salvadora, a little girl who drowned some time ago. Taylor falls in love with a doll at an altar, but Joyce forbids her to take it. According to island lore, bad things happen to people who touch the dolls. After coming home from their vacation, Joyce notices Taylor is acting strange. She researches the island and its rituals and finds out that the place ...more
Kirstin
With my interest in seeing the movie Annabelle, I was thinking about creepy dolls. I remembered I had this short story on my KOBO, and decided to read it.

On a visit to Mexico a mother and daughter take a boat tour to the Island of Dolls. This is a real place where seriously spooky old dolls hang suspended from the trees, everywhere. On the island the daughter is mesmerized by one doll, and much to the mother's horror wants to take it home.

The Doll may be a bit predictable, but that is what gives
Scott Butler
The Doll, a novelette by J.C Martin, is a creepy and sinister read.

A mother and her daughter take a trip to The Island of Dolls, an island surrounded by hanging dolls, dedicated to a drowned child.
The story begins mysteriously, as you read on the suspense just builds and builds, leading to a very unexpected and sinister ending.

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves horror. Or anyone who is a fan of not being able to sleep at night.

My full-length review of this book can be read in this a
Sarah Brocious
:) Great scare!!
Quick read...one I shouldn't have read so late at night ;)
Doreen
I borrowed this book from my Book Buddy Daisy. Thank you Daisy!
First, let me start off by saying, I don't like clowns, I don't like the old porcelain dolls, and I certainly don't like dolls with clown faces. Lol
The very first line of this story grabbed me. The rest of the story followed right along in the same vein. I could not put it down.If I say anymore, it may give something away. It is a short read, but an excellent one. I highly recommend it.
Sharon
I spotted this while searching Amazon for some spooky short stories. It was free for Kindle, which didn't fill me with anticipation, but I said I'd give it a go.

I LOVED IT!!

"Welcome to 'la Isla de la Munecas,' he announced in accented English. 'The Island of the Dolls.'"

Joyce and her six-year old daughter Taylor are holidaying in Mexico. They take a day trip through the ancient Aztec wetlands, and stop at the Island of the Dolls to explore it along with their tour group.

"Dolls of all sizes, in
Lynda R. Young
This story was brilliant. The author is a talented writer who brought the setting alive for me. It was rich in detail without slowing down the story. The story itself was chilling. I didn't want to put it down, but at one point I had to because I was alone in the house at night. That's how much it got to me.

Read it! You'll love it!!!
Traci
Short story about the Island of the Dolls, which is creepy enough on its own. This was just long enough to not get overbearing and not lose its creepy edge. I liked the ending. There were a few errors, nothing that distracted me too much.
Tony Benson
This is a gripping, scary story. I couldn't stop reading. The writing is exquisite, and the storytelling is inventive. If you are a fan of horror stories, this is a must read.
BooksChatter
A rather creepy short story (30 pages) through and through - beware of the dolls!

Very well written, quick ready.
Anya of Chaos
This is a very short novella but i gave it five stars because it really was an awesome book actually based on true place
Jessica Bronder
We begin with Joyce and her daughter Taylor visiting The Island of the Dolls on their vacation. The story behind the island is that a young girl, Salvadora, drowned on the island that that her spirit is still there. That the dolls were hung out for her and that anyone that disturbs them will be drown too. While exploring the island, Joyce and Taylor discover a little shack with an alter dedicated to Salvadora, and where Taylor is immediately entranced with a Mexican doll.

After the vacation, Tayl
Jul 11, 2013 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Horror, Suspense, and Thriller fans
Help yourself to some nightmare fuel...

As a child I was given a doll that had eyes that opened and closed depending on whether it was lying down or upright. I loved that doll...until the eyes unexpectedly popped open while in its little crib. Naturally, I've lived a doll free life ever since! So, as I love a good masochistic scare every so often, I thought I'd give this short story a try.

And a scare is EXACTLY what I got.

For a short story/novella, this little gem packs a massive punch. The story
Maria Violante
"The Doll" had a few rough moments, specifically with participle tenses - I caught a few cases where "have lost" should have been "had lost", or using "may be" for a past scenario (should be "might have been"). There was also a passage where a set of quotation marks was missing, which gave me a little confusion as to the number of tour guides. (Additionally, the Spanish spoken by the native guide had a few mistakes as well; "munecas" should have been "muñecas" with a tilde, and as a feminine plu ...more
Apocalypse Whenever: The Doll by J.C. Martin 5 26 Jun 29, 2013 08:48AM
  • The Nightmare Within
  • Anything Can Be Dangerous
  • Weirder Than Weird
  • Specimen 313
J.C. Martin is a butt-kicking bookworm: when she isn’t reading or writing, she teaches martial arts and self-defence to adults and children.

After working in pharmaceutical research, then in education as a schoolteacher, she decided to put the following to good use: one, her 2nd degree black belt in Wing Chun kung fu; and two, her overwhelming need to write dark mysteries and gripping thrillers wi
More about J.C. Martin...
Oracle A Thousand Tears: A Short Story