Start by marking “Contos Hieroglíficos” as Want to Read:
Contos Hieroglíficos

Contos Hieroglíficos

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  87 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
«"Os Contos Hieroglíficos" constituem, de facto, os mais delirantes textos da literatura de todos os tempos. Feitos para subverter e minar todas as técnicas narrativas conhecidas, o seu nonsense cruza histórias bizarras e fábulas modernas que precorrem trilhos exóticos, das arábias à Irlanda, da China a Veneza, da jordânia à Espanha muçulmana.»
Published 2004 by Cavalo de Ferro (first published 1785)

To ask other readers questions about Contos Hieroglíficos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Contos Hieroglíficos

Jamie
Mar 31, 2011 Jamie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before anyone goes off trying to find a copy of this, Project Gutenberg is offering it as a free ebook and it's only 20 pages. Nothing your office printer can't handle if you don't have an ebook reader.

I love the Gothic tradition of writing a story and then the author pretending it's a translation of some ancient manuscript that was found in the library of some unspecified ancient monastery. It's like a mystery of a mystery.

Ok, so I've only just started, but the story about the king's 3 daughter
Jake Leech
Jul 31, 2014 Jake Leech rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick, enjoyable read. This is a series of (sometimes very) short, satirical stories from the eighteenth century. It's only about 80 pages long, so even if you hate that kind of thing, you can muddle your way through in an hour. Kenneth Gross, in the introduction, describes the stories as "psychotic", but I certainly wouldn't go that far. He also argues that Walpole is more interested in the absurdity of writing a satire, rather than focusing on making a point. This works really well for me, b ...more
Travis Mueller
Kind of a mixed bag of writing. Starting off it is excellent and reads like a clever modern sort of twisted pseudo-fairytale adaptation, though it is over 200 years old. The Preface is quite enjoyable, full of entertainingly contradictory explanations of the works origin and purpose. Especially enjoyable is the author's bald statement that he will produce forged classical writings, bury them in Carthage and then dig them up again. Also, The claim that the work will be printed in massive numbers ...more
Mert Altas
Mar 13, 2015 Mert Altas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kitap elime tesadüfen geçti. İçinde eğlenceli altı masal var. Özellikle Kral ve Üç Kızı'nı beğendim.

" Hiyeroglif Masallar, hiç süphesiz, dünyanın yaratılmasından kısa bir süre önce, henüz keşfedilmemiş, herhangi bir yerleşimin olmadığı Crampcraggiri Adası'nın dağlarında yazıldı ve o günden bu yana sözlü gelenek sayesinde korundu. "
Lisa
Apr 17, 2016 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trippy, short and nonsensical but fun. "A True Love Story" had me doing a double-take and cracking up. A fun read for an afternoon.
Dan
Feb 20, 2012 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The whole collection can be read in an hour and it's worth the trouble. A couple of the tales are very good, but the best thing about the collection is that it reads like an embryonic Douglas Adams or Monty Python at times. By no means is it fully developed, but "The Hieroglyphic Tales" has its juicy nuggets of random, dry British wit.
Amber
Aug 26, 2013 Amber rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful, easily read tales, yet there is also more subtle meaning behind them. On first perusal, some of the tales reminded me of cheerful fluff that I freewrote in high school, which endeared them to me. Looking over them a second time, I liked them even better because there was more to them than the surface surrealism showed.
January Carroll
Nov 12, 2011 January Carroll rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this collection of stories this afternoon, and I have to say, I enjoyed every bit of it. I had never encountered Mr. Walpole, except as a peripheral cheese purchase topic in Monty Python. I can't wait to see what the "Castle of Ortranto" is like.
VeganMedusa
Trish Graboske
Jul 25, 2012 Trish Graboske rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stream-of-consciousness fairy tales, with gossip of the day thrown in. Very imaginative. Never published during Walpole's lifetime.
Marts  (Thinker)
Jun 13, 2010 Marts (Thinker) marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Read 'The Castle of Otranto', it was quite ok, so I guess it doesn't hurt to explore another Walpole.
Jenni
A collection of short nonsense stories. The first and the last are definitely the best.
Aureo
Aug 31, 2012 Aureo rated it it was amazing
Amazing! Reminds me of Jorge Luís Borges with a Monty Python's hint =)
Ângela Costa
Ângela Costa rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Ângela Costa
Ângela Costa rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Sam Fickling
Sam Fickling rated it really liked it
Jul 01, 2016
Cian
Cian added it
Jun 27, 2016
Şahin Kalkay
Şahin Kalkay marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Hadeswench
Hadeswench marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Patri674
Patri674 rated it really liked it
May 10, 2016
Natalie Abrahamian
Natalie Abrahamian marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Terje
Terje rated it it was ok
Mar 11, 2016
Simon Maxwell-Stewart
Simon Maxwell-Stewart rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Sheikh Tajamul
Sheikh Tajamul rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2016
C Mcdowell
C Mcdowell marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2016
Wolf Ostheeren
Wolf Ostheeren rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2016
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Jorge Almeida
Jorge Almeida rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Joelson
Joelson marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Grand
Grand rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Horatio Walpole, 4th Earl of Orford, was an English art historian, man of letters, antiquarian and politician. He is now largely remembered for Strawberry Hill, the home he built in Twickenham, south-west London where he revived the Gothic style some decades before his Victorian successors, and for his Gothic novel, The Castle of Otranto. Along with the book, his literary reputation rests on his L ...more
More about Horace Walpole...