3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Scraping by in classes, hanging out with his best friend Charlie, and trying to get a date with Lara Hanover, the prettiest girl in school—that was Nick Robbins’ life.

Survival was the last thing on his mind.

Then, a strange cloud appeared over the city. A cloud that kept growing. The darkness on the horizon consumed the light around it. And Nick’s dad, a Department of Defen...more
Published November 22nd 2011 by HarperCollins

Jimmy Juliano
Very brisk read. But I swear every YA book nowadays is written as sequel-bait. There was 30 pages left and I was thinking, NO WAY they could wrap this up in that amount of time. Yep, I was right. Prepare to be left hanging.

Pretty harmless book, but a LOT of plot holes. Basically the world is plunged into total darkness, and within ONE WEEK there is a total breakdown of society? Like, major cities completely abandoned and gangs running the urban areas? Where did everyone go? Where is the military...more
Summer
TL;DR version: Characters are nice, but plot would be nicer if it wasn't crammed in two paragraph chunks between teenage love. Too rushed.

I'm not sure what to say about this book. If you've read a dystopian novel in the past year or two, you've read The Nightworld. It doesn't do a whole lot out of its' genre. I think the lead character is probably what made me give this a 3 instead of a 2.

I thought that the male protagonist and POV was a little refreshing since a lot of these are female POVs- an...more
Krista (CubicleBlindness Reviews)
3.5
Going into the story I couldn't help but be reminded of some of the post-apocalyptic novels I have read recently, such as Ashfall by Mike Mullen and Dark Inside by Jeyn Roberts.
This book was not quite as long or intense as those reads, but I definitely got the same kind of vibe. A boy who's father hides him in a closet when he fears a group of people are coming for him, witnesses his fathers death. Before shooting him they ask for a device, which he refuses to help them find. In a panic he d...more
Savannah (Books With Bite)
This book is surprisingly good. At first when I started it I wasn't sure I would like it. But soon it came down to scientist, experiments, conspiracy theory, and a world left in darkness and chaos.

What I adored most about this book is the great plot line. At first, things went slow but the build up to a darkness exploding left my mind reeling. I loved that with a new chapter, this darkness took me by surprise. In an instant, I intrigued and hooked with new rules that came upon me.

The love intere...more
Erin Forson
by Jack Blaine
HarperCollins
4 Scribbles
Nick’s senior year starts looking up the moment stunning Lara Hanover invites him to her summer kickoff party. If all goes as planned, Nick will not be doomed to spend as much time alone as he has since his mother died and his dad went underground to his “off-limits” basement where work on a government project engages him around the clock. Yes, hooking up with Lara might make everything right in Nick’s world. But when the world outside changes...more
John
Overall: Meh. Nothing great. Nothing awful. The writing is tolerable and the premise has some interesting parts to it, but it's clearly meant to appeal to readers who love I Am Number 4 and plot-heavy dystopian reads. The male PoV was a nice change of pace. The romance was predictable and generic but balanced, which it rarely is in male PoVs. My biggest issue was that the pacing was so break-neck that the author did nothing to expand on the characters or the world building. This is the kind of b...more
Sue
Nick is just a normal kid. It's the last day of school and he is ready to relax. He gets handed "The Lord of the Flies" to read for summer reading as he's walking out of school. Nick's dad is a scientist for the Department of Defense who is working on a project in their basement. When a cloud starts growing, blocking out all the light, Nick realizes something is terribly wrong. When people break into their house he realizes he has to run.

The back of the book says that this is inspired by The Ni...more
Ela
This book was a bit slow paced for me. I mean, a lot happened, but it was just... not realistic?

I don't know, I just wasn't feeling the boy finally gets perfect girl, world ends, boy risks life to check on girl, boy and girl travel together across three states, while being hunted (DUH!) and (view spoiler) and blah blah blah.

I wanted to like this book more. I do have to say, every time any one of the characters went outside, I got a...more
Tez
I don't know who "Full Fathom Five, Inc" (the copyright holder) is, but it sounds like a book packager. I don't like the idea of packagers - makes the books seem more written for business rather than for the love of the story. Thus the stories themselves are often a bit shallow.

Such is the case with The Nightworld. We barely get any details on the interesting stuff (Higgs particles, darkness all the time, the Optimus Prime device, a virus), and instead just get a run-of-the-mill thriller that tr...more
Haley
This book was pretty good. A nice shot, fast read. I finished it within a day, more like less than 6 hours. It reminded me of Ashfall and Life As We Knew It. Mostly because of the darkness and cold weather that the cloud brought. The plot was also pretty good, I’m just disappointed that they didn’t get into the science stuff very much. Nick seems like a cool character, and him and Lara are a great team. I can’t wait to see what happens in the sequel.
The book was written in 1st person present te...more
Andrea Labonte
This book surprised me when i picked it up because i didn't think i would actually like it. So I got it anyway because the moment i started reading it i couldn't put it down. It was about a 17 year old going into his senior year that wasn't even gonna happen because the world changed. He was out on his own trying to find the girl he liked making sure she was safe and sound. There were strange people that had killed his father and he didn't know what to do. So this book gets 5 stars because that...more
Jan
Melissa
This, right here...was an awesome story! I loved Nick and Lara! What they had to go through and witness after the darkness was downright scary! I highly recommend this book!! And if you haven't yet, check out HELPER12! (4.5 stars)
TheSaint
I didn't think I'd like a novel based on a video game quite so much! This one had everything in it that I like in my post-apocalyptic fiction: Life Before, a clear explanation of What Went Wrong, and characters that seem up to the task of Carrying On. Ok , so we were a little shy on that last. Still, a ripping yarn.
Natasha
Christy
Ms. Kahn
I was sent this book to review for School Library Journal. I just started it.
Sam
It was okay. I just thought there shouldve been more to it.
Taylor
i absolutely love this book. it is amazing.
Conny
I did not understand the end <<<
Laurel Dyment
Pretty good premise.
Sara Barnes
Sara Barnes is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2014
Little Library
Little Library is currently reading it
Jul 21, 2014
Jillian
Jillian marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Sana Parvayz
Sana Parvayz marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Gabi
Gabi marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Jack Blaine likes to write novels that put good people into horrible situations.
Just to see what theydo.
More about Jack Blaine...
HELPER12 Twitch Sunday Brunch al Fresco