Something More: Excavating Your Authentic Self

Something More: Excavating Your Authentic Self

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  1,962 ratings  ·  81 reviews
From the author of the bestselling "Simple Abundance" comes a provocative and powerful life "bible" for women around the world. In this insightful and eloquent book, Sarah Ban Breathnach explores the nine stages necessary to living authentically: Sensing, Surviving, Settling, Stumbling, Selling Out, Starting Over, Searching, Striving, and finally, Something More.
Published October 1st 2000 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1998)

Diana Bogan
I never read "Simple Abundance" which preceded this book, so I have nothing to compare "Something More" against. I picked up this book at a swap several years ago, not even sure why I was drawn to it. Over the past month, I finally took the time to slowly read through it nightly before bed. This book deeply resonated with me. Sometimes a simple quote is all it took to unhinge my soul and bring to the surface issues that my mind seemed to wrestle with in my sleep. Sometimes it was the examples an...more
Jana
I found this book while I was in the middle (or end) of a very bad relationship with someone I worshiped. That was the problem, I wasn't worshiping or even respecting myself.
This book opened my eyes and heart and helped me work not only out of and through that poisonous situation but also helped me to understand the meaning of the words loving yourself, respecting yourself, honoring yourself and boundaries: How to have them and stand by them.

My favorite part of the book: "Bad men come into our...more
Maryellen
I never did get into Sarah Ban Breathnach's popular "Simple Abundance," although I am re-reading it now, but this book was my daily rocket launcher into a vital and authentic life. It is unashamedly for women only.

Her writing style is quite full of feelings and she does get a bit carried away with enthusiasm at times, but that may be a good thing. The book started me on excavating my authentic self, and I'm 62 years old and thought I knew myself pretty well. With prompting from this book I got t...more
Diana Lowrie
Jul 08, 2007 Diana Lowrie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: someone wanting to explore themselves and embark on a journey of deep self-discovery
This book is a source to finding that voice of an authentic self. Written especially for women by a woman herself I think it depicts a lot of challenges we face going throughout life. Especially facing the challenge of finding our own identity not just an extention of an entity (be it family, wife, mother..). This book is a challenge and stirs up a lot of questions within a woman's soul that is both perplexing at time and full of joyful moments of ah ha's and wow I knew that but now I get it mom...more
Helynne
There are two subspecies of humans, Breathnach notes at the beginning of her 1998 Something More: Excating Your Authentic Self--the resigned, who live in quiet desperation, and the exhausted, who live in restless agitation. Her goal in this book, a followup to her popular Simple Abundance, is to lead readers beyond these discomforting categories by helping each of us to discover the person we were really meant to be and thereby, to find our maximum level of satisfaction and joy. She does this v...more
Amy Leigh
on the surface, this is the sort of cheesy book that i buy in secret and read behind everyone's back. there are flowers on the cover. its subtitle is 'excavating your authentic self.' the only way it could be more embarrassing is if it came with a tea cozy and a purple t-shirt all packaged up in a floral gift box.

however. it's written by a smart, sensitive, and inspiring woman who's dealt with death and divorce and depression. it's about the ways women tend to give ourselves away to the other pe...more
Ayana Mishelle
This is a great book for critical thinking. Great for teachers. I own a very worn copy it is a book you can read again and again I have two books by breathnach and I will own everything she writes . she also wrote simple abundance which is a daily reader that i read just about everyday. this book was written for women but men can read it too !! We won't mind !!1
Julie Murray
I sailed through this book in no time, which, for me, means it was the right read at the right time. The essence is on finding the courage to give ourselves permission to live lives of joy and passion, instead of settling for what our society, religion, and culture tells us is right for us.

It is a comforting read, like the writer is there drinking coffee with you, but uncertain parts disturbed me because they hit too close to home. I saw the murky ways, even after all the inner work I've done,...more
Estella
I was disappointed in this book. I didn't come away from it feeling energized and uplifted, as I did from Simple Abundance. The thoughts shared by the author seemed a little...jaded, somehow. This could be attributed to the fact that she had gone through a very difficult time in her life--the ending of her marriage, etc., just before she penned it. Whatever the reason, the book left me wishing for...something more.
Stephanie
From this book I learned that there's a use for all those magazines the spiders watch over under my day bed. For the exercises in this book, I cut out images and ad copy from those magazines to paste into the sketch book that the author recommends her readers keep while reading. Also learned that there is such a thing as a watercolor pencil and that they are tres cher!

This was my first foray into Sarah Ban Breathnach and I would say that she is an easy deep read (which is not easy to write). I'm...more
Gwendoline Van
Something More: Excavating Your Authentic Self is a great read for looking at life through a different lens. Clearly targeted towards women who currently feel like "is this really it?" in respect to their lives, their relationships, themselves, Sarah Ban Breathnach provides us with the tools and insights to really dig and rediscover our inner goddess, our inner truths. She reminds us that the power lies within, both to change our physical realities but also to know that happiness happens from th...more
Miranda
This was quite interesting -- focusing on developing oneself by looking within instead of outward. I don't fully agree with Ms. Breathnach's worldview; however, I did glean pieces of wisdom from all that she wrote here. It was apparent how eclectic her understanding of the world is. I enjoyed all of the small doses of trivia she compiled here as leverage for her points.
Julie M
Mar 11, 2008 Julie M rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lisa
Recommended to Julie by: no one
I picked up this book in January after yet another layoff. Following through on the self/soul scrutiny is a little intimidating! I wonder if other people who read this felt the same about venturing down the path of change, because it requires so much work. But the exercises and examples can definitely help you find a way to greater fulfillment in life and in relationships. It reminded me of maxims I already knew, but don't necessarily remember in the day-to-day. Especially that asking for what y...more
Zachary Yeung
the book starts out as Sarah's routine run-of-the-mill details about Victorian living and stories of different women that have inspired her, but ends with one of the most brilliant anecdotal evidence through her experiences to inspire women of what "our" life is meant to live as and for. her words strike the innermost chord and the effect is both earth-shattering and enlightening.
i can't thank Sarah enough for her candidness and her bold authenticity, which continue to inspire myself to live an...more
Vicki Westbrook
it always seems easier for others
Anna
"We think it's the big moments that define our lives... But really, these big moments of happiness are just the punctuation marks of our personal sagas. The narrative is written every day in the small, the simple, and the common."
Hiromi
One of my favorite female soul excavation reference books. Comparing our lives to an archeological dig that merits study and appreciation, is somethign that as a 20 year old, I thought was rather odd. Yet, now re-reading the book in my late 30s, I can readily understand the metaphor. I have highlighted, written notes, quoted, read and re-read the passages of this book with time and I still come out appreciative of it's content and insights from one woman to another through different generations.
Kandice
All I can say is that authors should not use their books to bitterly lament their failed relationships/marriages, especially if they are trying to provide inspiration to others. While I've loved the other books by this author, she lost me on this one. Unless you want to read how angry the author is about her divorce and don't care about inspiration for your own life, then I'd recommend you skip this book and read her others. Simple Abundance is great and so is Romancing the Ordinary.
Deborah
As I get older, I discover more of who I am, who I want to be, and where I'm going. I've discovered that I'm not there yet. Something More, causes one to think about self. Although a little too New Age for my taste, I do like a great deal of what Sarah Ban Breathnach has to say about life. Savouring moments, "stopping" time, enjoying, loving, living. I realize that I'm much closer to my authentic self than I was in my younger years. Too bad it takes so long to get there. :o)
Natalie
I love this woman/author. I loved going each day of the year with Simple Abundance and writing in a gratitude journal everyday of 2007. I asked to borrow that book again for 2009 and she couldn't find it but gave me this instead- I feel so blessed to have books like this in existence.
She leads the reader through an archeological dig to find the true self or soul. The activities seem like eye openers and I can't wait to get my hands dirty and try them out.
Mindy Lankenau
Apr 13, 2008 Mindy Lankenau rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Women in difficult transitions
I had been married for 23 years... and my life was falling apart. I was spending most of my days (and nights) in tears - I was facing difficult decisions and this book was pivotal for my own self acceptance, awaking my understanding that I truly deserved more. I read the hardcover and had it on audio (cassette tapes, thats how long ago it was!)... and I knew the book by heart. My copy still opens to the tear stained page - 144, "The Souls Duty"
Mary Wescott
OK - Well, funny how your needs for books change as life circumstances change! Being as I'm currently in the process of being single - this book now has much more meaning then it did previously! I actually needed some and most of her thoughts on self and starting over.

This was written after her divorce. I didn't enjoy it as much. It seemed like it was more for her then me. Not being divorced and all.
Fran
This book is a gift from my daughter, who knows how much I enjoy inspirational reading. It is written by the same author as Simple Abundance, which I loved, but has more to do with marriage and relationships. I think it would be good if your current circumstances calls for encouragement, reassurance or change.
Denver
This book focuses on finding something more outside your current relationship. The constant permission to seek another partner is a consistent thread through the daybook format. As the content wasn't relevant to me, I found it boring. But I'm giving, "Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy" a try anyway.
Katharine Grubb Hawkinson
Mar 13, 2008 Katharine Grubb Hawkinson rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: People seeking a life shift?
Recommended to Katharine by: Mom
Shelves: personalgrowth
So far, I can't really get into this. I've opened up pages here and there, but this one may be one that takes a while to read. I'll go about it through time. Update: I can't fininsh. There are too many other books I would rather be reading. I'll put this on the shelf to look at later.
Carrie
positive inspiration
Susan
I really liked this book, perfect for an empty nester who needs to transition from doing so much for others to a little self restoration. The writer often refers to Irish writers and poets, which I love because of my ancestry, and the book touches on manby aspects of being a women. :)
Zena Khalil

I read this book in 2010 while I was on sick leave...
The book had opened my eyes to realize in order to help others you need to be kind to yourself. Sara Breathnack made me laugh, weep and sing while reading .It is a book that you keep, read and share. must read for every woman.
Jacquie
I liked "Simple Abundance" better than this book. There were some goods things to think about or journal about in some of her exercises. But, I felt like the book may be geared more toward a woman who's recently been separated from a long term relationship or marriage.
  • Woman's Worth
  • Take Time for Your Life
  • The Woman's Comfort Book: A Self-Nurturing Guide for Restoring Balance in Your Life
  • Meditations for Women Who Do Too Much
  • The Dark Side of the Light Chasers: Reclaiming Your Power, Creativity, Brilliance and Dreams
  • Wishcraft: How to Get What You Really Want
  • Soul Mates: Honouring the Mysteries of Love and Relationship
  • Why People Don't Heal and How They Can: A Practical Programme for Healing Body, Mind and Spirit
  • There's a Spiritual Solution to Every Problem
  • Soul Stories
  • One Day My Soul Just Opened Up: 40 Days and 40 Nights Toward Spiritual Strength and Personal Growth
  • Spirit Song: The Introduction of No-Eyes
  • No Ordinary Moments: A Peaceful Warrior's Guide to Daily Life
  • The Nature of Personal Reality: Specific, Practical Techniques for Solving Everyday Problems and Enriching the Life You Know
  • Inner Simplicity: 100 Ways to Regain Peace and Nourish Your Soul
  • Ageless Body, Timeless Mind: The Quantum Alternative to Growing Old
  • The Six Pillars of Self-Esteem:  The Definitive Work on Self-Esteem by the Leading Pioneer in the Field
  • After Life
In addition to SIMPLE ABUNDANCE, Sarah Ban Breathnach is the author of THE SIMPLE ABUNDANCE JOURNAL OF GRATITUDE, SOMETHING MORE, and MRS. SHARP'S TRADITIONS. She currently resides in California. Please visit her website at www.simpleabundance.com.
More about Sarah Ban Breathnach...
Simple Abundance:  A Daybook of Comfort and Joy Romancing the Ordinary: A Year of Simple Splendor The Simple Abundance Journal of Gratitude Moving On: Creating Your House of Belonging with Simple Abundance Mrs. Sharp's Traditions: Reviving Victorian Family Celebrations of Comfort & Joy

“Turning fifty is an entirely different matter altogether. “At fifty, the madwoman in the attic breaks loose, stomps down the stairs, and sets fire to the house. She won’t be imprisoned anymore,” 0 likes