Moving On: Creating Your House of Belonging with Simple Abundance

Moving On: Creating Your House of Belonging with Simple Abundance

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Moving On is a deeply personal book that only Sarah Ban Breathnach could create - full of the wisdom, warmth, and candor that have made her a trusted friend to millions of women all over the world. Within these pages, you will embark on a journey of a lifetime and discover the crucial difference between letting go and moving on - in life, love, and houses.
Published March 21st 2006 by Gazelle Distribution Trade

Helynne
The title to Sarah Ban Breathnach's 2006 Moving On is, in many ways, a very personal essay about her own experiences in moving on with her personal life in the 10 years since she published her popular Simple Abundance. Since then, she has gone through a divorce, several moves, including to a New York City apartment, and across the Atlantic to England, and remarried. A part of this narrative explains how she and her new husband came to purchase, renovate and live in their current (and ideal) hom...more
Deirdre Keating
Normally, if I really dislike a book, I just don't review it. I try reminding myself of all the work and risk that go into any book, and why beat someone up for being the wrong author for you? And yet I'm still posting this unreasonably harsh review, because the book has gotten under my skin. I wish SBB all the best, but I definitely won't be reading anything else she writes.

Obviously, based on the other high reviews, she does have plenty of readers who are just right for her, several of whom fi...more
John Bails
With the exception of her new book, I have read most of her writing's. With Simple Abundance, I was expecting something else. At first, I could not get interested in it. I started a second time and found that I was more receptive. The more I read, the more I wanted my two daughters to read it and thought it would be good for a couple of other women friends. As I come across, her books now at book sales, I buy them to give to others. I like her style of writing. I like her use of quotes-primarily...more
Lia
Seemed to be right up my alley, but it wasn't, really. Overall it was ok, if meandering.

I do like her poetic sense of spirituality. The "prayers" were nice, once I realized they weren't addressed specifically to the Abrahamic god, and often had feminine pronouns. Take them as poetry, if you wish.

There may be wisdom in her claim that the state of your house reflects the state of your soul/emotional health. Frankly, I've always wondered what is wrong with women who keep spotless houses. They have...more
Amy
There's a lot about this book I appreciate, and that's a pleasant surprise. I've read that some of her work is rather trite, but I hoped to glean some wisdom on the trials of moving and readjustment. So far, the first half is more thought-provoking than thereafter because later she gets more into topics more closely related to divorce than to other life changes, it seems to me. . .

Overall, some useful points, but not in a style or approach that I liked a whole lot. Perhaps the most useful part o...more
April Harris
Another inspiring book from Sarah Ban Breachnach, Moving On explores creating both a physical and spiritual house of belonging. An encouraging and enjoyable read, this book will change your view of clutter once and for all, as well as convincing you that no matter where you call home, you can make it your very own place of shelter, serenity and peace.
Tuba
Aug 27, 2007 Tuba rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who are seeking some motivation to really "move on"
This book gave me a "you are not the only one who is going through a rough time in life" feeling by not giving a snobby "I know it all" attitude from the author. She is using personal experiences in her examples about "how to move on" with our lives and how she achieved to do so in a sincere and motherly way other than being a methodic psycholog...
Janet
After falling in love with her first book, I was a bit put off by this book. A bit too "spiritual" for me. And I couldn't figure out my own "house of belonging", as she guided me through the book. After about the second reading it suddenly "clicked" for me. When I figured out where I wanted to be, the stress left. I reread passages frequently.
Donna
I am a big fan of this (Simple Abundance) series of books and always find helpful information in them. I like the way Breathnach talks to the reader, as if she's having a conversation with them/us. Good read for any women in (gulp) middle age.
Dottie
A couple of reminders worth encountering but still not as impressive as some of hers I've read and return to over time. My recommendation remains to go with her Simple Abundance and do a pick and choose from the contents thereof.
Therese Gilardi
now "simple abundance" makes more sense .... an interesting read, though i'd formed an opinion on the subject matter before cracking open the book after coming across an article on the author's current predicament.
Sharon
Carl Jung was the first to bring my attention to houses as metaphor for self. This book reminded me of that and serendipitously coincides with my own present goal of bringing my house and my life to order.
Satia
Full of great quotes but none of them cited properly which is why this book is only getting 2 stars instead of 3. For more:

Tammy
I expected the entire book to be like the last chapter, about truly creating a house that felt like a home... too much wierdness, like about buildings being alive. Just couldn't get into it.
Gloriavirtutisumbra
This was fantastically satisfying, but the smallest of all these books. The author had been through some serious hell, and came out still swinging that one/two twinkle. I admired that.
Kim
I read this right after my last move; I started it after arriving at my new place and before the moving van had even arrived. It was the right book at the right time.
Debbi
okay book with some good ideas and encouragement, if you can get past the "embrace your goddess" type mumbo jumbo.
Audrey ❦❦❦
What a bunch of self-serving rubbish! That is all I have to say about this book.
Rachael
Because her writing is so referential, I came away with about 6 book recommendations.
Courtney Anderson
Sep 19, 2008 Courtney Anderson rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Courtney by: Terri Vacek
Grat book to pick up at any time. Light reading, great insight
YorkshireSue
Dec 03, 2007 YorkshireSue rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone needing a change in their lives
heartwarming principles which make sense and tweak your mind frame.
E. Amato
Sep 05, 2009 E. Amato rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: francesca
I think this book is finding me at the right time!
Shearer Monster
Sep 25, 2008 Shearer Monster rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: soual searching individuals, self help book readers
I'm really enjoying this book so far.
Relaynie
Mar 18, 2009 Relaynie added it
Shelves: own
Simple Abundance,Sarah Ban Breathnach
Marguerite
Perfect for me and my cluttered life
Christin
simply amazing and honest
Ino
Ino marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Laureen
Laureen marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
  • What We Ache For: Creativity and the Unfolding of Your Soul
  • Crazy Aunt Purl's Home Is Where the Wine Is: Making the Most of What You've Got One Stitch (and Cocktail!) at a Time
  • The Little Zen Companion
  • The Woman's Comfort Book: A Self-Nurturing Guide for Restoring Balance in Your Life
  • The Great Failure: A Bartender, A Monk, and My Unlikely Path to Truth
  • Gratitude: A Way Of Life
  • Confessions of an Organized Homemaker: The Secrets of Uncluttering Your Home and Taking Control of Your Life
  • The Sweet Potato Queens' Wedding Planner/Divorce Guide
  • How To Stubbornly Refuse To Make Yourself Miserable About Anything, Yes Anything
  • A Course In Weight Loss: 21 Spiritual Lessons for Surrendering Your Weight Forever
  • Women in Praise of the Sacred: 43 Centuries of Spiritual Poetry by Women
  • Hedgewitch: Spells, Crafts & Rituals for Natural Magick
  • The Writing Diet: Write Yourself Right-Size
  • Seven Times the Sun: Guiding Your Child Through the Rhythms of the Day
  • Creative Is a Verb: If You're Alive, You're Creative
  • Hedge Witch: A Guide to Solitary Witchcraft
  • If They Give You Lined Paper, Write Sideways.
  • Grandmother Moon: Lunar Magic in Our Lives - Spells, Rituals, Goddesses, Legends and Emotions Under the Moon
In addition to SIMPLE ABUNDANCE, Sarah Ban Breathnach is the author of THE SIMPLE ABUNDANCE JOURNAL OF GRATITUDE, SOMETHING MORE, and MRS. SHARP'S TRADITIONS. She currently resides in California. Please visit her website at www.simpleabundance.com.
More about Sarah Ban Breathnach...
Simple Abundance:  A Daybook of Comfort and Joy Something More: Excavating Your Authentic Self Romancing the Ordinary: A Year of Simple Splendor The Simple Abundance Journal of Gratitude Mrs. Sharp's Traditions: Reviving Victorian Family Celebrations of Comfort & Joy

“[I]t doesn’t matter whom you love or where you move from or to, you always take yourself with you. If you don’t know who you are, or if you’ve forgotten or misplaced her, then you’ll always feel as if you don’t belong. Anywhere. (xiii)” 90 likes