Start by marking “King's Test” as Want to Read:
King's Test

King's Test (Star of the Guardians #2)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  1,055 ratings  ·  14 reviews
By calling a temporary truce, Derek Sagan and the rebels thwarted the alien Corasian invasion. Enemies once again, the rebels have resumed their defiance and Sagan has retumed to his campaign to topple the corrupt galactic government.He plans to set up Dion as king of the Starfire dynasty--and to place himself as the ruling power behind the throne.On a remote planetary sin ...more
Published August 24th 2011 by Spectra (first published March 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about King's Test, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King's Test

Jim
I normally associate these authors with fantasy, but this is a really fun space opera trilogy. A bit depressing, though. Still, lots of action with blood swords & blood space ships - only those of a specific breeding or something can operate these super weapons. If you liked Simon R. Green's Deathstalker series, you'd probably like this which predates it, although only by a decade or so, as I recall. I liked both, but have no urge to re-read them.
Graham
I read the Star of the Guardians trilogy for the first time when I was 17 years old - I had NO idea how much it subtly introduced new ideas into my life.

The book list that one of the main characters, Maigrey, works through in part of the book, is one of the reasons I went on to become a book reader myself - Weiss used Sci Fi to open my mind to the world of books out there!

To this day, Charles Dickens is one of my favourite authors... not because he was one of Maigrey's favourites, I've grown to
Amanda Hamilton
I just remembered something about the first book that I completely forgot about until I read part two.

There's a character named Vangelis (and the author's note mentions the band Vangelis) and one with the last name Sagan (after Carl Sagan) and a character with the nickname Tusk.
The beginning chapter quotes are sometimes too on-the-nose and specific giving what is going to happen in the chapter you're about to read. They quoted a lyric from "Tusk" by Fleetwood Mac. That's a bit too...obvious. I
Shana
In this second book in the series, all of the main characters reappear (with the exception of John Dixter) and new characters are introduced. They include Abdiel (who controlls zombies), Snaga Ohme (a wealthy and corrupt weapons dealer), Raoul (a charming man who is an expert on poisons), and the Little One (a small alien empath). Raoul and the Little One appear in the spin-off series, The Mag Force 7, as main characters.

The plot of this story deals with an incredibly powerful bomb. There is a s
G.M.
One of my all time favorite books and one of my Top 5 Book Series!
Alexander Draganov
Serious improvement on book one here. The main villain Abdiel is finally introduced, Dion (the cool main character) gets more "screen time" and the relationship between Derek and Maigrey develops nicely. Add to this a super weapon which can destroy the universe and you have a captivating space opera. Another bonus is that the book finishes it story ark, and, although it is obvious that we'll have a third book, Weis does not use annoying cliffhangers. Recommended for fans of Timothy Zahn and Geor ...more
RogueHireling
More like a two and half.
I dont know what happened, but in this book everyone turned unlikable. Which always makes it harder for me to make it through. Everyone was whiny and making bad decision after bad decision. Ugh!
Plus I completely lost track of who I was supposed to be rooting for. I couldn't figure out who the "good" guys were anymore.
But I did make it through the book and liked the ending and am looking forward to the next. Just dont think I will be reading this one again.
Chris
Here's what I said about "The Lost King" (Star of the Guardians,#1)

True space opera with bits of religion, the force, Roman Legions, and Blood Swords that are like light sabres, mixed with a very dark Camelot feel. This is a miss-mash that you wouldn't think works but some how does, entirely do to the character development done by the author.

The same applies to "King's Test" (Star of the Guardians, #2) but with ZOMBIES!!!!!!!
Cathy
The first book was a great introduction to the main characters. This book however, is where the real entertainment begins, never quite knowing who the real enemies are and how the story is going to play out. And almost, but not quite ending on a cliff hanger.

A HUGE thank you to my Husband, Chris for introducing me to this series...really is a great series for Sci-Fi fans :D
Todd
This is pretty much a better version of Star Wars.
Greymalkin
A bit too much of Dion, who I found annoying.
Steve
Alan75
Alan75 marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2015
Gina
Gina marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Aria Sedai
Aria Sedai marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Emily C
Emily C is currently reading it
Feb 19, 2015
Jerreb
Jerreb marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
  • There Is No Darkness
  • Battle Cry (Robotech, First Generation, #2)
  • Pirates of the Thunder (Rings of the Master, #2)
  • Starstrike
  • Shon'jir (The Faded Sun, #2)
  • Berserker's Planet (Berserker, #3)
  • Freedom Flight (Wing Commander, #1)
  • The Nautilus Sanction (Time Wars, #5)
  • Worlds of Honor (Worlds of Honor, #2)
  • Wild Magic (The Godwars, #3)
  • The Chosen (Raj Whitehall, #6)
  • Endurance (Stardoc, #3)
  • The Price of the Stars (Mageworlds, #1)
  • Ties of Power (Trade Pact Universe, #2)
  • Battlestations! (Star Trek: Fortunes Of War, #2)
  • The Return of Nightfall (Nightfall, #2)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more
More about Margaret Weis...

Star of the Guardians (4 books)
  • The Lost King (Star of the Guardians, #1)
  • King's Sacrifice (Star of the Guardians, #3)
  • Ghost Legion (Star of the Guardians, #4)
Dragons of Autumn Twilight  (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #1) Dragons of Spring Dawning (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #3) Dragons of Winter Night (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #2) Time of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #1) War of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #2)