9 Things a Leader Must Do

9 Things a Leader Must Do

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Why do some leaders get and accomplish what they want as a matter of routine, while others seem to regularly experience frustration and setbacks? Why do some leaders achieve their goals and reach new heights, while others barely "hang in there" and survive? Based on his groundbreaking psychological study of the ways that successful individuals think and behave, Dr. Henry C...more
Published September 1st 2006 by Integrity House (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about 9 Things a Leader Must Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 9 Things a Leader Must Do

Trevor
Jan 20, 2010 Trevor rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010
This is the clearest form of repackaging basic "secrets for a better life" and calling it leadership I've ever seen. This is the exact same as "9 Things You Simply Must Do to Succeed in Life and Love" that Cloud published in 2004 with Thomas Nelson (and again in 2007)! While the content is short and to the point, it is not anything beyond practical commonsense. The title could be changed to: "9 Things That Ordinary, Reasonable, Upright Members of Society Already Know How to Do."

Even still, here'...more
Robb
Mar 12, 2012 Robb rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: ebooks
Some of the authors ideas or items on this list i had heard or seen some variation of before, but are worth repeating. I've always thought that ideas or things you value tend to appear and reappear as you need them. Almost as a reminder or signal that yes this is what i believe or want in my life. While true many axioms seem simple or common sense that doesn't make them any less true. Sometimes these "simple" truths have often lasted so long because they are so basic everyone can grasp their mea...more
Cheri
I was not particularly impressed with this little book, despite being pleasantly surprised that it was written from a Christian perspective (many people might not be so pleasantly surprised and the title should reflect this bias in the writing style). It is quite short, lacks depth, and research. I'm very glad it was a library book read...
Anna
Jan 02, 2011 Anna added it
This book is excellent. It gives me a lot of knowledge when it comes to becoming a good leader. Dr. Henry Cloud encourage me to do the things that i really like in life. And he helps me to realized many things that i need to change in my attitude as a person. I truly searching for what i want and what i need to improve of what i need to improve in my talents. It helps so much in my real life. This book helps many people out there who had doubts for themselves in what they really want to be in th...more
Davion Rosser
A simple and great read that reinforces principles that we all have heard before. Got this book as a birthday gift. A great read as I embark on a new year of life.
Stephen
READ SEP 2008

Nice compact reminder of what leaders do.

1. Explore their deep hearts and invest in their inner desires and drives.

2. Do not allow negative things to take up space in their lives.

3. Evaluate their decisions in the present based on how they will affect the future.

4. Continually ask themselves, "What can I do to make this situation better?"

5. Achieve big goals by taking small steps over time.

6. Develop the ability to hate the right things well.

7. Give back better than they are given.

8...more
Matt Erickson
This is a simple but insightful look at some basics of life and leadership from a Christian perspective.
William Gomperts
This book is a quick, easy read. The points are simple and straightforward. Overall, it it a good book to get start outlining basic principles but it does not delve into great depth about everything. Dr. Cloud relates every point/chapter to a personal story or a friend of his to which the point is directly applicable. This helps you understand what exactly he means because some of the chapter titles do not make much sense independently. This is a great book for basic principles.
Daniel Lacey
Overall a great book! Dr. Cloud is very to the point with not a whole lot of fluff. This book is perfect for any developing leader like me or even someone who is a leader and needs a refresher on some core leadership skills! Also, Dr. Cloud uses real life examples and stories in this book to help you understand how to become that DeJa Vu leader!!
Lynn
This is my first Henry Cloud book - I must say I am impressed! But as all self help goes, its easy to read it but the application may be tougher. Looking forward to re read or read other titles of his!

A very short book that I read in the library. His examples were parsimonious and spot on, almost like wisdom on a digestible plate.
Yves Johnson
Dr. Cloud is one of my favorite writers. This is a great pocket guide for leaders. It isn't my favorite book from Dr. Cloud. This book isn't as thought provoking as the others. Yet, it provides solid and challenging things for all leaders. I will keep it as a reference and give to ministers on the staff.
Lauren
Dec 05, 2007 Lauren rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like psychology and leadership topics
Currently reading this book. Tiny little book and you could fly through it, but you might miss all the little truths that it contains. Like it because it is written in the viewpoint of a Christian pyschologist(sp?) who I respect. Look forward to finishing it one of these days...
Linda Bowling

Read the original. This abbreviated version loses much of the punch.
Matt
Simple. A little preachy, but to the point and excellent content.
Jonathan
"Get a black belt in Hate" is my favorite chapter.
Jeff
Just began reading and will update.
Raquel
Quick read
Cheyennechun
Cheyennechun marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2014
Ruth Ann
Ruth Ann marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Kyle Cosgrove
Kyle Cosgrove marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Whitney Luciana
Whitney Luciana is currently reading it
Jul 22, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Cristie Li
Cristie Li marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Dr. Cloud has written or co-written twenty-five books, including the two million-seller Boundaries. His most recent books are Boundaries for Leaders and Necessary Endings. He has earned three Gold Medallion awards, and was awarded the distinguished Retailers Choice award for God Will Make A Way.

As president of Cloud-Townsend Resources, Dr. Cloud has produced and conducted hundreds of public semina...more
More about Henry Cloud...
Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life Boundaries in Dating Boundaries with Kids: When to Say Yes, When to Say No to Help Your Children Gain Control of Their Lives Changes That Heal: How to Understand the Past to Ensure a Healthier Future Safe People: How to Find Relationships That Are Good for You and Avoid Those That Aren't