Start by marking “The Accidental Empire: Israel and the Birth of the Settlements, 1967-1977” as Want to Read:
The Accidental Empire: Israel and the Birth of the Settlements, 1967-1977

The Accidental Empire: Israel and the Birth of the Settlements, 1967-1977

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  109 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
The untold story, based on groundbreaking original research, of the actions and inactions that created the Israeli settlements in the occupied territories
After Israeli troops defeated the armies of Egypt, Syria, and Jordan in June 1967, the Jewish state seemed to have reached the pinnacle of success. But far from being a happy ending, the Six-Day War proved to be the open
Published March 6th 2007 by Times Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Accidental Empire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Accidental Empire

Patrick Farrell
Oct 03, 2009 Patrick Farrell rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: israel
I don't really know what to think of this book. It was interesting and painted a good picture of the origins of the settlement movement and why it wasn't stopped. Also it allows many parallels between the beginnings and what followed, specifically in the 21st century (which the author speaks to in the epilogue).

I have a couple of complaints that kept it from being a really good book though. One is that for a book that relies heavily on geography there is a dearth of maps (from my count there was
Wayne
Feb 08, 2009 Wayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thorough, sobering, highly informative, and excellently written account of just how Israel let the settlement movement happen. Struck me as quite balanced.
Farrah
Nov 08, 2010 Farrah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant. The best book about Israel that I have ever read.
Benjamin
Dec 30, 2014 Benjamin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book very good. Unlike other reviewers I have a grasp of Judea and Samaria geography so the lack of maps didn't bother me.
Sometimes the narrative was too contrived and dry, as if the author was merely narrating history and its actors, but other times it was as if he was shedding light in very unknown yet important parts of Israel history.
My main reason to read this book though, is my main criticism against it: I wanted to understand how life really is in settlement-cities like Maale
Joeji
Feb 04, 2010 Joeji rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Losers who forget about the settlements when talking about a "peace process"
Informative, but loses because there are no accompanying maps of Israel - Palestine or the Allon Plan, which is cited throughout. A good critical look at the beginning of the settlement movement, but a terribly misleading title, which makes me suspect that the author was afraid of what the reaction to his book might be. Follows individuals but doesn't give a good overall picture of the major settlements, and only spends a few paragraphs in the epilogue talking about the current manifestation of ...more
Robin
Aug 31, 2007 Robin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first third is a bit awkward. It took a while for the writing to become something more than just a vehicle for the listing of events, motives, history, ect., that propelled the first settlements after the Six Days War into existence. It got better. I don't know what or who is worse the secular nationalist/socialist/Zionists or the religious fundamentalist/nationalist/Zionists, but be prepared to finish angry.
John
Jan 01, 2008 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: folks interested in the Middle East & willing to look at several sides
I got this because Amazon reccomended getting it with 1967. Good call Amazon. Interesting additional take on a very complex & troubling issue & gives a sort of follow on to what has happened since the '67 war. If you have already made up your mind about who is in the right & who is in the wrong in the Occupied Territories/Judea & Samaria, don't bother, but if you want to run the risk of actually LEARNING something, give it a try.
Daniel Frank
Religious devotion, pioneering kibbutzniks, security concerns, incompetence - as Gorenberg correctly points, make up the primary factors for the birth of the settlement craze.

I wish the book was less a point by point recap of history (often, not about the settlements even), and more describing the zeitgeist of the time.
John Lum
Dec 08, 2012 John Lum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this soon after it was published in 2007 and couldn't help but think of it in recent weeks. Not sure how one wins the struggle against "their" religious extremists by further empowering "our" religious extremists...seems a little more sensible to stand against all religious extremists!
Jacqueline
Jan 29, 2013 Jacqueline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit of a slog at times but mostly excellent.
Amitai Rosen
Amitai Rosen rated it did not like it
Aug 23, 2013
Ilana Diamant
Ilana Diamant rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2009
Josh Lipson
Josh Lipson rated it really liked it
May 15, 2016
Tiago
Tiago rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2007
Tetsuya
Tetsuya rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2012
Richard Morris
Richard Morris rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2016
Mauricio Santoro
Mauricio Santoro rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2014
Peter Cohn
Peter Cohn rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2013
Jeremy
Jeremy rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2014
Steve Shulman-Laniel
Steve Shulman-Laniel rated it it was amazing
Mar 26, 2017
Mariusz
Mariusz rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2012
Corey
Corey rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2009
Eddie shamah
Eddie shamah rated it it was amazing
Mar 18, 2015
Steph
Steph rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2008
Lawrence A
Lawrence A rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2007
Steve Erickson
Steve Erickson rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2014
Atar Hadari
Atar Hadari rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2012
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2008
Aladdin  Elaasar
Aladdin Elaasar rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • 1948: The First Arab-Israeli War
  • The Seventh Million: The Israelis and the Holocaust
  • Sleeping on a Wire: Conversations with Palestinians in Israel
  • In the Land of Israel
  • The Israelis: Ordinary People in an Extraordinary Land (Updated in 2008)
  • The Arabs and the Holocaust: The Arab-Israeli War of Narratives
  • The Israel-Arab Reader: A Documentary History of the Middle East Conflict
  • Israel is Real: An Obsessive Quest to Understand the Jewish Nation and Its History
  • The Arab-Israeli Wars: War and Peace in the Middle East
  • The Yom Kippur War: The Epic Encounter That Transformed the Middle East
  • Jerusalem 1913: The Origins of the Arab-Israeli Conflict
  • Israel's Secret Wars: A History of Israel's Intelligence Services
  • Peace And Its Discontents: Essays on Palestine in the Middle East Peace Process
  • One Country: A Bold Proposal to End the Israeli-Palestinian Impasse
  • The Other Side of Israel: My Journey Across the Jewish/Arab Divide
  • What Did the Biblical Writers Know and When Did They Know It? What Archeology Can Tell Us about the Reality of Ancient Israel
  • The Modern Middle East: A Political History since the First World War