Start by marking “Antonio's Wife: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Antonio's Wife: A Novel

Antonio's Wife: A Novel

3.34 of 5 stars 3.34  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  6 reviews
From the glamorous uptown world of opera to the seedy underbelly of New York City's worst tenements, a page-turning roller-coaster ride of kidnappings, betrayals, bribes, hidden identities, and twisted intriguesBy 1908 Francesca Frascatti has reached the pinnacle of success in the opera world. A fiery-haired Neapolitan diva with an infamously volatile temperament, Francesc ...more
Published March 2nd 2004 by Harper (first published March 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Antonio's Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Antonio's Wife

I liked it, BUT...not enough to finish it. The characters felt a little unreal to me. For example, Antonio's mistress is just evil and lustful. She doesn't have much else, and while I'm sure that there is the occasional person like this, it made her seem wooden. Also, Mina is sexually attracted to Dante right away, despite the fact that she apparently has been raped and beaten a zillion times with her husband. I'm not saying someone who has been abused can't be attracted to someone, but I have a ...more
Lavender Dreamer
This had some wonderful characters and I loved the little twists and turns in the story.
Jennifer Mccann
My favorite kind of historical fiction in the sense of rich detail. One problem I had though was with the story. Sometimes the author would end a chapter or section having just completed a crucial conversation or event. She would begin that next section or chapter in the midst of that same event from another character's perspective. More often it was redundant rather than adding any significant depth.
Jane Smith
its probably because i just got out of a bad relationship with a scumbag of the same name, but this book was sort of my way of seeking revenge. the plot was kind of see through halfway through the book but then it twisted closer to the end. i enjoyed it, and it helped that i knew a little bit of Italian to understand the certain phrases.
Cherie
B DeJohn came to my RA class to speak and I didn't like her. Her book impressed me, but Mina was annoying and a weak main character. Otherwise, enjoyable. Too many characters and plots and subplots--but she handled it okay.
Helena
Despite questionable character development (the lead character is remarkably ahead of her time in her thoughts on race relations), this book had me hooked from the moment I picked it up.
Alexa Salg
Alexa Salg marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2014
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Rachael Malfer
Rachael Malfer marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Sally
Sally marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
R
R marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Julia
Julia added it
Jan 06, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
Pizza
Pizza added it
Nov 20, 2013
Laura Lee
Laura Lee marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2013
Tanya Bannwart
Tanya Bannwart marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2013
Micki Levin
Micki Levin marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013