Start by marking “She Can Run (She Can... #1)” as Want to Read:
She Can Run (She Can... #1)

She Can Run (She Can... #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  3,475 ratings  ·  289 reviews

Elizabeth was a young widow with two small children when she met Congressman Richard Baker. Handsome and wealthy, with a sparkling public image, Richard seemed like the perfect man to provide the security that Beth and her kids were craving. But when she uncovers a dangerous secret about her new husband, Beth realizes he will go to any lengths—even murder—to keep it. After

Published November 28th 2011 by Montlake Romance

To ask other readers questions about She Can Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about She Can Run

When You Dare by Lori FosterI Can See You by Karen RoseYou Belong to Me by Karen RoseHave You Seen Her? by Karen RoseI'm Watching You by Karen Rose
Best Romantic Suspense 2011
36th out of 108 books — 24 voters
Love Is Never Past Tense... by Janna YeshanovaThe Ruby Brooch by Katherine Lowry LoganSecrets of the Realm by Bev StoutThe Billionaire's Bauble by Ann MontclairKeeper of My Heart by Darcy Flynn
Best ebooks
132nd out of 539 books — 682 voters

More lists with this book...

Beth Baker and her two children have been on the run from her abusive husband, Congressman Richard Baker, for ten months. After discovering her husband's explosive secret and his deadly response, Beth escapes with the children. Taking a job as a caretaker/bookkeeper to an 87 year-old man on a remote estate in Pennsylvania seems ideal. But when Beth arrives her new employer is dead and the house willed to his nephew Jack O'Malley.

Jack is on leave from his job as a Philadelphia detective. His
Mary Catherine
I'm not going to lie - I wanted to like this book. Marketed as a suspense thriller type, I thought it would be a good read with steamy scenes, a chase, some bad guys - you get the picture. And in the beginning, this book had promise. Beth is on the run from a husband who's not yet an ex (but really should be) and ends up in Jack's new place. Jack just happens to be an ex-cop with a busted knee.

The problems come pretty soon after the introduction. The main reason? I found the pacing to be slow a
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Originally posted at: http://www.longandshortreviews.blogsp...

She walks in on her husband then gasps. Next thing she knows, she's
running for her life. This is a story that starts out with a bang and
doesn't let up. Its quick pace brings a reader along on a suspenseful ride.
Will Beth Baker and her kids outrun the senator? He has all the power and
money, and he must stop Beth permanently or risk his secret getting out.

Beth shows up at the home of a nice old man who hired her to be his estate
Maybe up to 3 stars...

I don't think that this can be classified as a mystery... The second the "bad guy" was introduced I knew he was going to be the suspect. This was an okay read for me, it felt like something I have read several times before. The heroine had every possible bad situation happen to her, it was pretty spectacularly unbelievable. There was also the strange supernatural aspect of the uncle's "premonitions" that had me quirking an eyebrow...

Probably wont be continuing this series.
This is a middle-age soccer mom romance fantasy masquerading as a thriller.
Which is fine if you're into that sort of thing. The reason I couldn't put it down was because I wanted to see how many cliches could possibly be shoved into a single 300 page book.
The prose is light and readable, so I might pick up another one of her stories one of these days, but since she has already used every single cliche known to man, it may be difficult for her to find source material.
Characters are mostly two-dim
Vanessa theJeepDiva
There are so many highly enjoyable elements within the pages of She Can Run. I enjoyed the characters the most. Jack may not be active within a police department any longer, but all of his skills are still present and honed. He knows that the new caretaker of his uncle’s estate is hiding something. He knows that he can’t push to find out this something, pushing will just scare Beth more and send her running. I also enjoyed Henry the police dog reject. He adds some unexpected humor to a very susp ...more
The premise of this book sounded intriguing but turned out to be cliche in the end as the female lead, Beth, is on the run from her husband who is trying to kill her as she finds out a secret about him that could end his political career. She and her two kids end up with an ex-cop, Jack, who happens to have a police dog that didn't quite live up to his training but later he becomes super dog and protector of Beth and the kids.
Throw in a serial killer plot twist, a cousin of Jack's who is a docto
Cindy ~ SnS Reviews
Great suspense novel that has dual story lines that end up interconnecting. Beth and her two children have been on the run from her abusive husband, a Congressman who has a secret he wants to kill Beth for knowing, for ten months. Beth's Uncle, unknowingly to her, sets her up with a job with an old Nam buddy of his. But before Beth gets there he dies. His nephew (a cop who is on medical leave) has inherited the place and decides to keep Beth on for the job his Uncle had hired her for as he can t ...more
I really liked that one - creepy but good :)
Even though you can figure out the bad guys and all the secrets that are to be figured by the first half of the book the suspence continues to the end (happy of course). Poor Beth everyone wants a hit on her so I was really simphatetic for her. After all through the second half of the book she is constantly hurt by one or another.. at least there is Jack.
All in all a good book so if you like romantic suspence you'll probably like it too.
I'm giving this 2 stars because it intrigued me enough to finish it but I just found this to be mostly silly and unbelievable. Everything bad that can happen to someone has happened to the main character. The poor woman has suffered, so much so that it just got to be ridiculous. Favorite character was Henry :-) Would not recommend to anyone...maybe entertaining enough for a long airplane ride.
This was one creepy book and I mean that in a good way! If you enjoy Karen Rose or Allison Brennan, lots of villain POV then this might be for you. Great Alpha hero and a heroine on the run with her kids. I had the bad guy nailed about mid-way but it didn't take away from the excitement or creepiness.
I look forward to reading more from this author.
A politician's wife uncovers a dangerous secret, and to save her life and the lives of her children, she runs.

But can she run fast enough and far enough? She knows that her husband's paid killers are close on her heels, so when she tries to disappear into a mountain village in Pennsylvania by taking a job as a caretaker on an estate there, she hopes she may have found respite.

But Elizabeth Baker (now Beth Markham) may have entered a whole new danger zone. For lurking nearby, an elusive serial ki
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
“Amazon cuts publishers out of book cycle” was the title of the lead article in the Business/Technology section of my Sunday paper. In smaller print was “It lets authors offer works directly to site’s customers.” What does this have to do with She Can Run you are asking? She Can Run appears to be is one of the 122 books Amazon’s fledging publishing program will release this fall.

I received an ARC of She Can Run from Amazon Vine. One of the first things I noticed was the thanks to the Amazon Publ
Virginia Campbell
"She Can Run", by Melinda Leigh, is an entertaining, involving romantic suspense read. I enjoyed the "noir-ish" flavor and the humor "with bite". I loved the hero, Jack O'Malley, a policeman forced into early retirement when a drunk driver causes him a serious injury. Jack is somewhat adrift, not sure of which direction to take, when his beloved uncle dies and leaves him his home and horse farm. Jack had spent many happy summers on the farm in his youth, but he had planned to spend his life in t ...more
I don't really know what fascinates me about the "women on the run"-theme, but i read a whole lot of such books.
"She Can Run" adds some complications as there are her kids with Beth, the main character, what makes it tenfolds difficult to stay under the radar.

I liked the story a lot, even if Jack was a little bit too old for my taste :)
The story goes at a nice pace, and we even get a serial killer on the hunt!
And that's what made the book a little bit difficult, it's a 2-in-1-story: on one side
A beautiful woman in an abusive marriage to a powerful politician has found out his dark secret that would destroy his career ... so she escapes from him with her two children, knowing he will hunt her down and attempt to kill her. She needs a safe place to hide, enter a retired sexy police detective whose Pennsylvania countryside home becomes her safe haven. Mix in a serial killer who hunts down women and sadistically murders them, and now has the politician's wife in his sights. In She Can Run ...more
When Elisabeth discovers her husbands secrets and he attacks her, she barely escapes with her life. Taking her two young children, she goes on the run desperate to hide from her husband and the past that she knows will eventually catch up to her. Beth manages to find a job as a caretaker on a remote estate for an elderly man, upon her arrival she discovers that the elderly man has passed away and her fate lies in the hands of his nephew Jack, an injured police detective and his retired dog, Henr ...more
Christi Snow
My Review:
I was asked to read an ARC of this novel by Melinda Leigh, an author that I had never read before. I like romantic suspense and the plot sounded good, so I said, Yes. Oh my goodness, I had no idea what a treat I was in for. I loved this book. The plot is FANTASTIC. The action is non-stop. I was riveted to the book from the moment I started it until I sadly reached the final page. It was one of those books that I did not want to end because it was so good.

I absolutely fell in love with
Melinda Leigh has been writing since her youngest child started school. With two books published and one due to be released in April 2012, she is quickly making her mark in the romantic suspense and paranormal genres. “She can Run” is a fast-paced romantic suspense. Action-packed with just enough romance thrown in to keep everyone’s interest whether romance novels are your thing or you are into suspense thrillers.

Beth is a woman hunted. Married to Congressman Richard Baker she has endured brutal
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Originally posted at

Elizabeth Baker should have had a fairytale marriage, but once she said, "I do," to the handsome congressman, everything changed. When she sees something she shouldn’t, her husband attempts to silence her permanently. She escapes and along with her 2 children goes into hiding. 10 months later, she arrives for her job as an estate caretaker only to find her boss has passed away and his nephew inherited the estate.

Jack O’Malley, former p
Caz Malpas
3-3.5 STARS

I Listened to this story, it was ok.

The serial killer storyline had my interest but my oh my what an anti climax! It was all a bit predictable.
Would I listen to another book by this author? Yes if it was free!
Anne OK
Apr 11, 2012 Anne OK rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Romantic suspense readers
Recommended to Anne OK by: Kara Conrad
Shelves: 2012-reads
Romantic suspense debut by Melinda Leigh that hits the ground running. A not-so-nice politician with a big secret, a wife who knows the secret and is running for her life, and a cop on medical leave who never expected a case of this magnitude to fall in his lap. And then there's the Riverside Murderer who is on the loose in the countryside of Pennsylvania adding another level to the suspense. Of course, it wouldn't be "romantic" suspense without a HEA for a couple who really needed it. This book ...more
A little disappointing -- the build-up to the climax was great and then it was like the story fell off a cliff. The climax and ending were wrapped up very quickly. The end.

I would have loved to see James or better yet, Jack, present the contents of the flash drive to Stafford in person and see what happened there. There was such a big deal made about that story -- that's why the Congressman was after Beth ... I would have thought it would have been made more central to the story. Instead, it wa
Laz the Sailor
This is a very good romantic thriller. It has several different threads, which weave in and out, each becoming a red herring for the other. Very well crafted and quite scary in places.

Some of the back-stories were too complicated, and revealed a bit blandly. There were a few sex scenes that were enthusiastic though not overly detailed.

I'll be reading the next one.
There was a lot going on in this book, maybe too much. Despite that, I enjoyed it very much! Jack was a great hero, and I loved his interaction with the children. Beth was a strong woman, and I admired her for doing what she had to do to protect her children. I just didn't think the secondary subplot was necessary for this. It was suspenseful enough with Beth being on the run.

The ending was wrapped up with a pretty little bow, just the way I like it. Plausible, probably not, but enjoyable for s
Jenny Hilborne
This book was not my cup of tea and I found the plot bizarre. The characters had little depth and James's visions seemed out of place. There are several graphic sex scenes I didn't enjoy reading and I never felt the tension or the suspense. The villain was obvious from very early on. It seemed the protagonist, Beth, ran headlong into one dramatic attempt on her life after another, and took unnecessary risks. The author writes well, I just don't care for the style and prefer a grittier, more seri ...more
3.5 = Solid effort, but nothing new or surprising

I'm surprised that I didn't enjoy this book more, since it's exactly what I usually look for, but it felt very familiar. It took me no time at all to figure out all of the twists and secrets, and I felt like the story line was a little all over the place. There are characters who are visited so infrequently that it would take me by surprise when I realized we were with a different character. I felt that there were too many stories going on at onc
John Spears
I almost gave up on this book because the romantic suspense side of the plot just gave me fits. First, there's the bad guy who is so totally obvious I thought he had to be a red herring. And then there were two other bad guys out to get our heroine as well --- is this the opposite of being paranoid, when you think you're only running from one person and instead three are out to get you?

The politician thread really bothered me too, but I suspect I'm the only American who's skittish about the issu
I have never heard of this author before and I'm so glad I decided to try her out. Amazon popped up one of her "She Can" books on my Kindle splash screen and I was intrigued. I looked her up to find the order the "She Can" series was published in and found "She Can Run".

I love the phrasing in this book. I loved the humor that is perfectly dotted throughout the story and sneaks up on you when you're not expecting it. The suspense was enough to really get me hooked on the book and I did that thin
  • Deadly Obsession (Deadly, #3)
  • Midnight Fear (Chasing Evil Trilogy, #2)
  • Noble Cause, A
  • Dangerous Affairs
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
  • Dying to Tell (Slaughter Creek #1)
  • Borrowed Time
  • Shades of Desire (SIG, #1)
  • Deadly Dreams (Mindhunters, #5)
  • The Shadow of Mudflap (Foxtrot Team, #1)
  • In a Lover's Silence
  • Knight of Pleasure
  • Bayward Heart (Cascade Brides, #2)
  • In Her Sights (Montgomery Justice #1)
  • The First Victim
  • Morgan's Hunter (The Bodyguards Of L.A. County, #1)
  • The Seventh Victim (Texas Rangers, #1)
Melinda Leigh is a fully recovered banker. A life-long lover of books, she started writing as a way to preserve her sanity while raising her kids. Over the next few years, she learned a few things about writing a book and decided the process was way more fun than analyzing financial statements. Melinda's debut novel, SHE CAN RUN, was nominated for Best First Novel by the International Thriller Wri ...more
More about Melinda Leigh...

She Can... (5 books)
  • She Can Tell (She Can... #2)
  • She Can Scream (She Can... #3)
  • She Can Hide (She Can... #4)
  • She Can Kill (She Can..., #5)
Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1) Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls) She Can Hide (She Can... #4) She Can Tell (She Can... #2) She Can Scream (She Can... #3)

“Death was final. There was no time for a final kiss or caress, to apologize for a harsh word or argument. The world imploded with no warning.” 2 likes
“The truth is only relevant if you can prove it.” And wasn’t that a sad fact of life.” 2 likes