Start by marking “Wordpress for Dummies” as Want to Read:
Wordpress for Dummies

Wordpress for Dummies (For Dummies)

The bestselling guide to WordPress, fully updated to help you get your blog going! Millions of bloggers rely on WordPress, the popular, free blogging platform. This guide covers all the features and improvements in the most up-to-date version of WordPress. Whether you are switching to WordPress from another blogging platform or just starting your first blog, you'll find th ...more
Published August 31st 2011 by For Dummies (first published November 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Wordpress for Dummies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wordpress for Dummies

Chad Warner
May 14, 2013 Chad Warner rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: WordPress beginners
This book is best suited for WordPress users, but there are a few chapters for developers. Designers and developers are better served by WordPress Web Design for Dummies and WordPress All-In-One for Dummies. I’m a web designer who creates WordPress sites for small businesses, so I skimmed the basics and concentrated on the development sections. Unfortunately, the explanations and examples of theme development weren’t as clear as I’ve seen in other WordPress books.

The book deals with both WordPre
Chad Warner
Nov 15, 2010 Chad Warner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: WordPress web designers
This is the best WordPress book I’ve read so far; it’s great for beginners and intermediate WordPress designers. Lisa Sabin-Wilson, a well-known WordPress authority with firsthand experience, starts with the basics and builds up in each chapter. Beyond the essentials, there’s an appropriate amount of space given to tweaking WordPress.

The book covers both and the self-hosted There’s an informational explanation of template files and template tags, and how to tweak the
Sep 14, 2009 Bonnie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm usually not a big fan of the "dummies" books as I find the whole idea that lacking specific knowledge about something makes you a dummy quite ludicrous. However, when it comes to instructional books and computer technology, it's difficult to find books that are still current once they reach publication ... the technological world just changes too quickly for print these days. When I discovered the plans to provide free .pdf updates to this book to keep it current, I decided to give it a try. ...more
Lynda Felder
Apr 16, 2012 Lynda Felder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I relied on this book exclusively to pull together three web sites; in spite of the title I did not feel like a dummy as I worked my way through the intricacies of Wordpress. Sure, Wordpress is easy to use and there is plenty of documentation on to help you out when you’re in trouble. However, if you have no clue what permalinks are, if you thought a “theme” had something to do with parks (or worse, your English Teacher made you talk about it and ruined a perfectly good book such a ...more
Chantal E. Larsen
I read this with intentions of beginning a blog. There weren't enough chapters on how to make your theme unique.

I was hoping this book was written for those who already knew much about HTML and CSS coding. I found myself reading the things I already knew or could figure out myself by visiting my administration panel.

Yes, I learned a little about <?php ?> coding, however there is still a question mark in my head. I'm still looking into how I can modify the content-background,
Mar 10, 2011 Maggie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In terms of other "Dummies" software books I've picked up, this is more of a 2.5 (I have the 3rd edition) I'd decided on Wordpress and before I created my blog picked this up to help get the lay of the land. It does share some useful information. However, my expectation was higher as the Dummies' PowerPoint or Excel books are so much more complete with indexes that even the most seasoned pro can come to rely on. Not so with this. Wordpress now has a walk through tutorial (I've not tried) but I w ...more
Dec 18, 2008 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Let me start by saying all the information in this book can be found on the web. However sometimes it's just nice to read a book instead of the computer screen.

I'm in the process of customizing my blog and wanted some insight on the software. I found what I needed, or least the basics. I wish the book went into more detail on creating your own theme from scratch. The chapter on using Wordpress as a CMS was the most valuable to me. Now I have big plans.

The book does not cover CSS or HTMl. So if y
Jaycruz Cruz
Oct 07, 2009 Jaycruz Cruz rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Total Blogging N00bs
For people that have played with blogging platforms like Wordpress or Blogger, which is most people, there's maybe one or two things that you can learn from this book. For me for example it was the chapters on, it's installation, and it's introduction to theme customization. Though I realize that all this information can be found online. That said, if your just starting out with Wordpress and have never toyed around with a blogging platform, this can be a very valuable reference al ...more
Dave Roberts
Nov 02, 2015 Dave Roberts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am reviewing the book Wordpress For Dummies by Lisa Sabin-Wilson et al which is a good book. This is a fairly recently updated version of this book. It includes a foreword by Matt Mullenweg one of the founders of Wordpress and one of the richest men in the world. Wordpress is probably the foremost blogging platform in the world. The Wordpress software is also an open source web design package which is in my opinion inferior to Dreamweaver that is expensive. At the end of the day you get what y ...more
David Roberts
Mar 09, 2014 David Roberts rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am reviewing the textbook Wordpress For Dummies 5th edition by Lisa Sabin-Wilson et al which is a very good book which I read at . This book is co authored by Matt Mullwegin the owner of Wordpress who also has his own blog on the hosted version. It can be accessed through the Wordpress home page. I have read several earlier versions of this book and there isn't that much new in this book. If you are looking to get started blogging it's ideal but maybe not for more ...more
Got from library
Good description of the hosted version ( vs. the local install version ( vs. the MU multi-user version (which is only meant for those with 100s of blogs). The online version of wordpress can be customized in a limited fashion, but for custom themes and other, you need a self-hosted version. 10 most popular plug-ins and how to install. How to use the system and the administration tools.
WordPress for Dummies is geared to individuals wanting to start their own blog. The author, Lisa Sabin-Wilson has created several of her own blogs using WordPress and offers how-to’s, tips, and advice on getting started.

I thought there were several good parts to the book: Laymen’s definitions for some of the internet terminology, screen shots on the how-to’s, and step by step how to’s. Unfortunately, with technology changing so rapidly and WordPress updating their software, some of the steps and
Felice Lam
Jan 21, 2011 Felice Lam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
Great introduction to blogging steps with,, and WordPress MU along with some useful tips and warnings. I recommend this only to beginners and others who are somewhat familiar with this platform but would like a refresher with some helpful hints. If you are an expert, you may move along.
Jun 14, 2016 Timothy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review originally appeared in the February 2016 edition of "Technical Communication" journal.

WordPress for Dummies is a well-organized resource for those wanting to create their own Web page using the WordPress platform. WordPress is a free program that lets you create and maintain a blog or non-blog Web site with minimal technical knowledge. There are two forms of WordPress: where you host your blog and where you use their software on a Web site that you control.
May 23, 2011 D.w. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Why could this book not have been more helpful then it turned out to be...

The author had moments when it should have been. The entire point of this book is to make our use of WordPress.Org something that if we don't master after reading the book and can make a website as well as the authors, at least start the process of making our own websites. A dummies book for just and blogging would take all of 50 pages and Dummies can't charge you $25 for that.

What goes wrong, oh so much. One
Jan 06, 2012 Bellamy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kathy Davie
A self-help manual explaining the use of and

My Take
Sabin-Wilson did a nice job of separating out the .com and the .org versions and she provided various lists of the best plugins, great free templates, and sites to explore for their use of various WordPress features.

I was less than excited with her explanation of changing up the WordPress templates. I suspect it will become clearer as I play with the bits and pieces. Considering this is a Dummies book, I would have e
Rodney Richards
Bought an old (2006-2007) edition by error, and its terrible from my point of view. All solid text, some screens, but those aren't clear. The writing style was less conversational than I'm used to in the Dummies books, and therefore less interesting to follow. But it is 400 pages with index, so always a kernel of info available, and numbered lists of item descriptions, all text, all telling, not as much showing as I would've liked.
Maan Toor
Jun 13, 2015 Maan Toor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WP For Dummies is a edition by Dummies series and written by Lisa Sabin-Wilson. For any beginner, this is a excellent book to learn WordPress step by step. The language is simple so it don't matter if you are not native speaker, it still holds clarity and understanding in every sentence. I am giving it a all by all starts because it's a book for newbies if it were a high end advanced level book than i may had think more intellectually.

To all the newbies in WordPress, go and grab it and don't ev
Oct 27, 2011 Graham rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was not as useful as it could have been. It kind of falls in the chasm between a reference and a step-step guide and does't quite succeed at either. Partially the problem is that there are lots of inconsistencies between the text and the figures. I read the third edition of this and wondered whether the problem was caused during the updating process. In any case, this has been poorly edited.

I feel that the author should have stuck to some good "real world" step-by-step examples and left the
Hom Sack
Aug 30, 2015 Hom Sack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent. It has brought me up to date with the new features of WordPress since I used it five years ago. What is not mentioned in this edition is the self-hosting Bitnami WordPress Stack that makes the complete installation happens literally in minutes (
It was insightful, and had lots of options I didn't realize were there for me in WordPress. I was able to read the 3rd edition, so please check if the copy you got was the newest version, as some of the features will not appear in the prior versions.

You could practically guess everything you read in this book by dabbling with WordPress by yourself, but some of the chapters have interesting details you might want to look at. I recommend this to anyone interested in looking into little features yo
Jan 18, 2015 Kirsten rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I didn't find a lot of new information using this book. Most of it I already knew how to do so it wasn't super helpful for me. It's great for a newbie to Wordpress, though, and I would recommend it to them. If you know a lot of the stuff, it's not helpful all that much.
Jan 23, 2015 Everskies rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful offline reference book, that answered most of my (standard) questions while moving my blog to
Dec 09, 2014 Gina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This book did not help me to understand/use WordPress . Still just as confused
Chris Aylott
I'm doing a lot of work in Wordpress these days, so I figured it would be a good idea to get better oriented. Turns out I've already learned most of what is in the book, because Wordpress is so simple that it's hard to fill a standard Dummies book up with useful tips and tricks. That said, I appreciate the way the book lays it all out and makes it easy to fill in the remaining gaps in my knowledge.

On a more personal note, this is the first book I've read cover-to-cover on Kindle software, and th
Susan Mathis
Apr 20, 2014 Susan Mathis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For all those non-geeks, you CAN do it! This book is empowering.
Mar 20, 2010 Honor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: web-work
I am loathe to approve of any book with such an insulting series name, but this one really is well worthwhile.

It contains a lot of good information, it's paced well, and it's not too condescending... If not for the title, I'd say it's not really condescending at all.

I know... It's a little thing to complain about, but it's there. If you produced a line of shoes called "Shoes for ignorant morons", you couldn't be too justifiably surprised if some people didn't say "Oh, who cares what they're call
Jul 10, 2014 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I decided to finally mark this book read. I do not believe I will ever truly finish reading it. My copy is now well-worn with yellow highlights, notes all over the pages, and post-its sticking out of the book everywhere! It has become my WP Bible and is never far from my reach. Being somewhat computer literate challenged, some of it is a struggle. I am conquering the blogging experience a little at a time. I get proficient in one area and move along to something new.
Jun 17, 2008 Hava rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: bloggers
Recommended to Hava by: a blogger!
WordPress for Dummies by Lisa Sabin-Wilson was one of the best reference books I’ve ever read on computers/blogging/website building, and believe me, I’ve read a lot of books on that subject! I have three brainy brothers who are computer geniuses and although I’m not stupid when it comes to computers, I know that I still... Click here to continue
Download Themes Premium for Wordpress 1 3 Mar 07, 2014 08:31AM
  • Creating Web Pages For Dummies
  • Twitter for Dummies
  • CCNA - Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802
  • Two Scoops of Django: Best Practices for Django 1.6
  • RHCE Red Hat Certified Engineer Linux Study Guide: Exam (RH302)
  • ProBlogger: Secrets for Blogging Your Way to a Six-Figure Income
  • Clojure for the Brave and True
  • Ruby on Rails Tutorial: Learn Web Development with Rails (Addison-Wesley Professional Ruby Series)
  • Learning GNU Emacs
  • Building Scalable Web Sites
  • Head First C#
  • Writing on Both Sides of the Brain: Breakthrough Techniques for People Who Write
  • Programming Challenges: The Programming Contest Training Manual
  • Social Media Marketing: An Hour a Day

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

For Dummies (1 - 10 of 79 books)
  • A Little Bit of Everything For Dummies