I Don't Like Gloria!

I Don't Like Gloria!

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  30 reviews
A jealous pup learns that rivals can become unexpected allies in a picture book loaded with preschooler appeal.

Why didn't anyone ask Calvin if it was all right to bring Gloria home? Now Calvin has to live with Gloria — and to make matters worse, this cat eats from his dog bowl, sleeps in his basket, and gets all the attention! Calvin will never like Gloria, and he will cer...more
Published January 9th 2007 by Candlewick

To ask other readers questions about I Don't Like Gloria!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Don't Like Gloria!

Jenna Dillon
Summary: Why didn't anyone ask Calvin if it was all right to bring Gloria home? Now Calvin has to live with Gloria — and to make matters worse, this cat eats from his dog bowl, sleeps in his basket, and gets all the attention! Calvin will never like Gloria, and he will certainly never share anything with her. Or will he? With a kid-friendly text and light, expressive illustrations, this is the perfect tale for every child who has ever begrudgingly shared the spotlight.
Genre: fiction picture book...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
The only reason I'm giving this 4 stars instead of 5 is because in some of the pictures of the cat it would seem that the artist needs to study cat anatomy a bit more. However, the story was SO cute! Calvin the dog is jealous of his new housemate, Gloria the cat. And does Gloria, in typical cat fashion, ever take advantage of that! Poor Calvin. The rivalry continues until... Read it and find out! Cat and dog lovers both will enjoy this one.
Arminzerella
Alisha
I didn't like this book in the sense that it teaches: you can really not like someone, and the only way you MIGHT like them is if you find a mutual enemy. Nope, you can focus on the good-- that's a great way to get to like someone who grates on your nerves. You could also serve them.
Jenna's Mom
Aug 18, 2008 Jenna's Mom rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nobody
Asho
I split the difference here and gave this book three stars: four for the charming and expressive illustrations (I love Calvin the dog's little underbite!) but only two for the story. The moral is basically "The enemy of my enemy is my friend...sort of..." which maybe isn't the most appropriate lesson for a very young child. This is probably not the book I'll be bringing home when it's time to introduce my son to the idea of a new baby in the house, in other words. :-)
Dolly
Apr 30, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2012, childrens, pets
This is a fun and entertaining story about 'sibling' rivalry among pets in a family. The narrative is short and simple and the illustrations are colorful and very expressive. This book might be helpful when deciding whether or not to introduce new pets to the family, especially if a much-loved older pet might feel somewhat forgotten. And it might work when discussing human new-sibling issues as well. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Samma
I can't really say why...but I did not enjoy this at all. You'd think that with a story this short, there isn't a reason not to like it. The art is adorable, both the dog (Calvin) and cat (Gloria) are adorable...but yeah. I guess the message that this family keeps getting new pets and then ignoring their old ones is kind of irresponsible to me. Not a favorite. Two stars, only for the art.
Angie Singletary
My kids absolutely love this book and so do I. It never gets old. We smile and laugh each time we read it. I can't quite remember how we got this book. Either my sister gave it to us or I must have purchased it, but can't recall. But, it was amazing and we all could relate to it. It was a helpful tool during a time of transition.
Julia
Calvin the dog does not like the new pet cat, and she doesn't like him. Lots of humorous smack-talking ensues until they finally bond over a common enemy, the new pet rabbit Jeffrey.
A good story for pets and humor, but also probably good for new-sibling themes too.
Shelli
Nothing brings together adversaries like a common enemy. Calvin is furious when the new household pet, Gloria, moves in and gets all the attention and uses Calvin's stuff. Hysterical story of jealousy among the four legged furry family members.
Tam
My boys (ages 4 & 8) enjoyed this book. They thought it was funny that Gloria (the cat) ate out of Calvin(the dog)bowl and when he growled at her for doing it, he's the one who got in trouble.
Julie
Calvin the dog does not like Gloria, the new cat at his house. He does not want to share his things or his house with her! But when Jeffrey moves in, Gloria & Calvin bond!
Cassi
Good way to start community building. Talking about how it isnt nice to not "like" someone b/c they are different. I like how the words look and a great book for punctuation!
Katie
No one asked Calvin the dog if it was okay to bring home Gloria the cat. And, to make matters worse, she eats out of his bowl, sleeps in his bed, and gets all the attention!
Jessica
Another one I read to my 4 year old. A cute story line that reminded me that no matter how many differences we have with people, we can all find at least one common thing. :)
Becky
Apr 16, 2011 Becky rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Becky by: Lisa
Thanks to Lisa for showing me this preschool gem. New cat Gloria arrives at dog Calvin's house without his permission and gets ALL the attention. Can anything unite them?
Paige
he he... The ending had a special meaning for me since I would (maybe) fill our house with pets, but I REALLY want a bunny. (Jeffrey is not a bad name) :)
Diana
Fun fun story. My baby laughed each time I said "I REALLY DON'T LIKE GLORIA!" This reminds me of the Horatio the Cat stories from my childhood.
Cute picture book about a dog who's a little jealous of the new cat until someone else comes along to give them something in common.
Ms.  Garrett
Cute book about a dog who is not happy when a new cat moves in. In the end, though, they find some common ground...
Carolyn
Great discussion starter for children who have recently added baby brothers or sisters to their family.
Amanda Taylor
This is a cute book to read to younger kiddos. it is about two enemies who end up agreeing on something.
Edna
Calvin the dog does not the idea that his home is being invaded by a cat named Gloria.
Jaylin Brooks
Gloria the cat takes over Calvin the dog's house and he doesn't like it.
Stephanie Marshall
Oct 10, 2012 Stephanie Marshall added it
Recommends it for: Children
Sweet little children's book about how to get along.
Angela
This one made me laugh out loud. It's silly but so true.
Linda
Oct 18, 2009 Linda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: K-2, children's librarians
Shelves: tolerance, pic-bk
Great book for tolerance - cats, dogs, rabbits
Omar Shiek
I haven't read it but it seems interesting.
Julia
dog and cat sibling rivalry
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Silver Spoon of Solomon Snow Clover Twig and the Magical Cottage (Clover Twig, #1) Pongwiffy: A Witch Of Dirty Habits Pongwiffy And The Spell Of The Year Pongwiffy and the Goblins' Revenge