Start by marking “Morning and Evening: Daily Readings” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Morning and Evening: D...

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

Morning and Evening: Daily Readings

4.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,786 Ratings  ·  121 Reviews
Organized by month, this devotional has a morning and evening meditation for every day of the year. Although these devotions are short in length, they are filled with spiritual goodness. In just a few sentences, Spurgeon is able to convey the wisdom of Scripture with eloquence and purpose. These daily messages provide Christians with the spiritual energy they need to begin ...more
Nook, 0 pages
Published September 8th 2011 by Christian Classics Ethereal Library (first published 1866)

To ask other readers questions about Morning and Evening, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Morning and Evening

Timothy Stone
Morning & Evening is perhaps the seminal book Charles Spurgeon's career. Despite how prolific his writings and statements were, this is what folks think of when it comes to a devotional of his. It's one of the best-loved devotional works ever.

Certainly it's easy to see why. I greatly benefitted from the optimism of Spurgeon. None of the negative stuff that so many have at times espoused. Yes, there is suffering, as Spurgeon well knew, but there is also joy.

If it were not for the values disso
Brian Eshleman
Dec 31, 2015 Brian Eshleman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Truly superb! Spurgeon's language is approachable yet lofty. The daily format is ideal to accomplish a major impact a little at a time on multiple fronts in the reader's life. Spurgeon comes across as insistent on Christ's best for the reader's life but in a jovial, fatherly way that will have the reader looking forward to the next visit.
Christine Dattilo
Have read through more or less fit at least the last ten years. Always refreshed, challenged and encouraged.

It's been fun to look at some of my highlights and notes from year to year. Every year, I am captivated by new insights I did not see the year before.

Hope to read through for the next ten years!
Kevin
Apr 06, 2015 Kevin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this version for my wife since english is her second language. Spurgeon's original words are obviously to be preferred over "updated" versions when possible, but this was most readable for her. We haven't actually read the entire year of devotions, but we've read a lot of them. Spurgeon's words are encouraging and speak powerfully into the life of the believer. He lived up to the title "Prince of Preacher", and that shines through in his writing! Though I must admit, his exegesis of the ...more
Mike Jorgensen
Some days are brilliant, some leave me scratching my head, most are just ok. Never been a devotional guy but this is as good as anything I've found.
Michael Duncan
Nov 08, 2011 Michael Duncan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Morning and Evening is a fantastic devotional for the heart of every believer. I strongly recommend it to anyone who wants to begin and end their day with spiritual encouragement and instruction. Spurgeon, the "prince of preachers" delivers his depth and love for Christ.

Rev. Michael Duncan, Author
Shadows: Book of Aleth, Part One
Shadows Book of Aleth, Part One by Michael Duncan
Cathy Cramer
I find myself sad to have finished this book, and wish that there was more of it. I had set it up to pop up on my computer, whenever I logged in, and often, it was the most encouraging "email" of my day. I have found Spurgeon's writings to be so comforting, encouraging, and challenging at times, perfect for this season of my life. He doesn't shy away from the tough aspects of life, but he doesn't delve into the technical details of a verse as many of today's pastors do. He compares them to heart ...more
Marcus
Dec 14, 2008 Marcus rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This devotional offers short but powerful insights into the Word of God. Especially during those times when it seems like my own connection with the Word is running dry, this has really helped to pick me up and bring me to a place of repentance and restoration to God's grace and the joy of salvation.
Jestine Maribel
Keep it near, add it to your daily reading.

Keep it near, add it to your daily reading. It's part of my devotionals.
This is full of gems!!! You will be enriched.
Jan 14, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Through college I read one of these most mornings and some evenings. It really helped keep me focused on what really matters in life. Well written and thought-provoking.
Dennis Thurman
Classic. The updated language only enhances understanding but doesn't diminish Spurgeon's masterful phrasing.
Nan
May 13, 2008 Nan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who's interested in growing deeper in their faith
This is an excellent devotional that has many nuggets of wisdom inside. It will encourage your heart daily!
John
Dec 31, 2015 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The audio version of Morning and Evening, produced by Hovel Audio, is my first real encounter with this work. Many of the readings were great, while others were not. Many of the readings are based on Scripture that seemed very out of context--where Spurgeon seems to have taken his message to the text, rather than from the text.

The audio version is very high quality, though there were strange lapses where the voice changed to a different pitch or cadence, but it never lasted long, and was rare.
Laurel Hicks
This book isn't for everybody, but if you've read quite a bit of the Bible and like beautiful language and thoughts, you might give it a try. Here is the morning reading for December 29 as a sample:

“Hitherto hath the Lord helped us.”
1 Samuel 7:12

The word “hitherto” seems like a hand pointing in the direction of the past. Twenty years or seventy, and yet, “hitherto the Lord hath helped!” Through poverty, through wealth, through sickness, through health, at home, abroad, on the land, on the sea, i
Fylvia Kline
This is an edited version of Spurgeon’s devotions from the 1800′s. A classic loved by scholars and laymen, it’s one of those devotions that can be used over and over again. And how you use it depends on how much personal devotion time you have carved out of the day for yourself.

To get the full Spurgeon effect, your dose for the day would be reading a page-long devotion in the morning, another one in the evening, memorizing one Bible text, and reading a significant portion of the Bible (towards t
Linda
Charles Haddon Spurgeon was an English preacher who lived from 1834-1892 and is known for his bold sermons and writings. At our church, we almost think of Spurgeon as an honorary elder because our pastors and teachers value and draw from his works so much. I've had the intention of reading a major work by Spurgeon for years and finally decided this year to go through his Morning and Evening devotionals, and I am finding it a tremendous blessing.

This volume is a collection of short devotionals -
Sunflower
One could never go wrong with Charles Spurgeon, a prolific author and pastor who lived from 1834-1892, "Mornings & Evenings" is a 768, softbound, 5.5 x 8.5, book that opens flat, to help one start each morning, with a personal devotional time.

What I enjoy the most, about reading this book, isn't just the fact about reading the thoughts and encouragement of Mr. Spurgeon, but the encouragement he provided by a choice of either focusing on a passage or doing a quick study in a book of the bible
P is for Polly
Sep 09, 2014 P is for Polly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who likes old things
Shelves: faith, prayer-books
This book is like time travel with a really great Doctor for the soul. I think this old book I have, much older looking than the 1960 copywriter date came from a Library sale-- a bit of Avalon on earth for book lovers. It has old paper, old font, old words, even the verses are in put in Roman numerals. This book truly saved my life when I really needed it. I felt like I had a friend to speak into my life twice a day. Someone whose vague scripture references I usually got because I'm such a Bibl ...more
Ts
Nov 30, 2010 Ts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don’t know how you spend your mornings and evenings, but I’m adding Charles Spurgeon to my daily Bible reading and Oswald Chambers morsel.

David Platt’s book, “Radical,” gives several challenges at the end. One of those challenges is to read the Bible through in the coming year. While I have read the Bible through several times, I loved the idea of reading it through this year with the expectancy that God will reveal new things.

I recently received Charles Spurgeon’s devotional book, “Mornings a
Peter Voorhees
Jan 21, 2015 Peter Voorhees rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great devotional read for both the morning and the evening. It is a quick and insightful look at scripture through out the year. It is my "go to" when I'm desiring a sweet nugget of inspiration and truth. Highly recommend having this book or available to download as an app to your device.
Graham
Sep 21, 2014 Graham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is hard for me to express in words how much I like this book. God has used it to carry me through good times and bad, highs and lows. Spurgeon offers great, and -- for those of a more literary bent -- beautifully-written insights. This is one enduring devotional.
Dorothy
Nov 23, 2015 Dorothy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
A truly wonderful daily devotional. Even if I don't read each day or morning or evening entry whenever I do pick it up to read it always lifts me up , reassures me , confirms , convicts and helps me to grow in my Christian walk.
Linda Mott
Jan 30, 2016 Linda Mott rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Charles Spurgeon's writings and this is one of my all time favorite devotion books. Each year I use it I am inspired by something I missed before. A book I always return to like a good friend.
Ian Rees
It seems churlish to give the great man only three stars. I agree heartily with his understanding of the truth and his expositions are second to none, but this is quite hard to read. His style is florid and poetic in the extreme and sometimes seems to make the going heavier than needed. It feels like a style of speaking from a bygone era (which it is, of course). The content itself isn't dated, but I found it more of a struggle than I had expected.
David F Hines
Jan 04, 2015 David F Hines rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always excellent

This devotional never disappoints. It is rich food for the hungry soul. It will challenge and encourage you in your daily walk with God.
Christopher Taylor
Wonderful devotional, a day by day continuing study of the Bible by one of the most gifted and blessed preachers that God has ever placed on this earth.
Denise
Jan 15, 2015 Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spurgeon can squeeze every last drop of Holy Spirit out of a single word of scripture. This daily digest can only be good for the soul.
Nancy Chaddick
Feb 04, 2014 Nancy Chaddick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have enjoyed using this book both morning and evening and like this year only in the evening.
Glenn P. Donald
Mar 19, 2015 Glenn P. Donald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book, mine was a hardcopy, as a daily devotional quite a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. For a man who lived and preached almost 150 years ago, it is amazing how relevant his daily thoughts can be on the application of Jesus Christ and our faith to our current lives that buzz and flit around at one hundred times the speed of Spurgeon's world. I think that's the neatest thing about Christianity; when it is preached properly, the words (like the scriptures themselves) become t ...more
Carrie Jolly
Jul 24, 2014 Carrie Jolly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best daily devotional I have ever used, and I would recommend it to anyone!
  • The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers and Devotions
  • ESV Study Bible
  • The Bruised Reed
  • Streams in the Desert
  • Worldliness: Resisting the Seduction of a Fallen World
  • Westminster Confession Of Faith w/ Catechisms (1646-7) (and the Larger and Shorter Catechisms, Directories for Public and Private Worship, Form of Presbyterial Church Government, the Sum of Saving Knowledge)
  • Holiness
  • Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible
  • The Mortification of Sin
  • For the Love of God: Volume Two: A Daily Companion for Discovering the Riches of God's Word: 2
  • Future Grace
  • In Christ Alone: Living the Gospel Centered Life
  • All Things for Good
Charles Haddon Spurgeon (1834-92) was England's best-known preacher for most of the second half of the nineteenth century. In 1854, just four years after his conversion, Spurgeon, then only 20, became pastor of London's famed New Park Street Church (formerly pastored by the famous Baptist theologian John Gill). The congregation quickly outgrew their building, moved to Exeter Hall, then to Surrey M ...more
More about Charles Haddon Spurgeon...

“Nothing teaches us about the preciousness of the Creator as much as when we learn the emptiness of everything else.” 242 likes
“If you will tell me when God permits a Christian to lay aside his armour, I will tell you when Satan has left off temptation. Like the old knights in war time, we must sleep with helmet and breastplate buckled on, for the arch-deceiver will seize our first unguarded hour to make us his prey. The Lord keep us watchful in all seasons, and give us a final escape from the jaw of the lion and the paw of the bear.” 31 likes