What Chefs Feed Their Kids: Recipes and Techniques for Cultivating a Love of Good Food

3.53 of 5 stars 3.53  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  18 reviews
How do the people who know the most about food tackle the special challenges of cooking for children’s palates? How do they get their children to join them at the dinner table when most kids would rather play under the tablecloth? Why do some kids love to eat broccoli, sushi, or pesto while others insist on chicken nuggets every night?

A lifelong foodie and a first-time mot...more
Published November 8th 2011 by Lyons Press

Shelley
This cookbook is a collection of recipes and insights from chefs who strive to cultivate a love of good food in their children. I added it to my wish-list after hearing it praised on a favorite podcast.

The rationale for this book confuses me a little. One of its primary premises is that there should be no such thing as special "kid food" and that the best way to encourage kids to eat the good things we like is to expose them to a diverse range of "adult" food from a very early age. If that's tru...more
Book Him Danno
What a great book for parents, I do not have picky eaters and I think it was from the way we fed the kids early on. I would puree what we were eating or other items. Baby food is disgusting and if I wouldn't eat something I certainly wouldn't feed it to my kids. The recipes look great, I wish the photos were larger...I love large pictures of food. I loved that the chefs talked about their lives outside the kitchen and with their kids.
A wonderful reference for those with kids or even grandkids......more
Patty
What a clever idea for a cookbook! It is thought that kids are fussy eaters but if you give them good food they will eat good food. Although I have a nephew that when he was very little he loved to dip hot dogs in blueberry yogurt - truly gag worthy. But he is a very adventurous eater because his mother took him to restaurants and let him try many different things.

This book breaks down into chapters based on the child's age and gives recipes suitable for what they can eat at that point. It was i...more
Brian
I would recommend this book to all parents, want to be parents,
or people just interested in food and nutrition.

Particularly helpful was the fact that the book was broken in sections for the different stages of development, and how the the child's eating habits should change over that time. Each chapter is then accompanied by both dietary/health and culinary advice that fits that age group.

Recipes I tried from the book include a delicious and still easy spicy tomato soup (p.144) and a simple st...more
Effie
Feb 01, 2014 Effie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: food
Nothing too special. I was amazed that there is such a thing as an infant feeding specialist. Do people really pay money to be told how to feed their child? Is this an actual profession? The recipes were all right, but I would expect better from a professional chef than a waffle recipe that starts with a mix.
Jennifer Ware
I received this book from goodreads.com for free. It was filled with lots of common-sense advice that parents should know, but for reasons such as being too hurried or having been fed pizza and chicken nuggets by their own parents, seem to have forgotten. I grew up with the "one bite" rule, (not the "one tiny nibble" rule) and started the same thing with my own kids. We go on food adventures to new restraunts and love trying new recipes. There are some great ones in this book. I am passing this...more
Leo
This book was full of tips on how to make your children more exposed to other kinds of food and other cultures. And honestly, for everyday use this book was not practical at all. So overall if your goal is to expose your children to different foods and types, and really to try new things without a thought to how much these ingredients cost then I guess this book is for you. But as a normal person, the recipes were either too simple or too different. And one would have to start this food journey...more
Brooke
Nov 23, 2011 Brooke rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mom friends
Recommended to Brooke by: Twirl
Shelves: kiddo-books
nice addition to our cookbook collection. I like how the recipes are laid out by age/stage of the kid. The recipes look yummy and definitely want to try a several. I like that the dishes (beyond the purees) are things the whole family can sit down and eat and not short order cook items for a picky kid. Most recipes are fairly complex, not every day whip something up quick options, but an overall nice variety of things to choose from. Plan to use the sugar cookie recipe for holiday cookies in a f...more
emily
I was a little confused by some aspects of this book. Ms. Aaron brings together a nice selection of chefs and introduces a variety of food types, but somehow, the idea of having a special section for what to feed your teenager sounds more like coddling a picky eater than "cultivating a love of good food."

Also, some of the big-time tips (play the "here comes the airplane" game, etc.) were pretty non-surprising. And seriously, the waffle recipe's main ingredient is premade pancake mix.
Aga
Obvious and boring. Plus the recipes were nothing new. I was looking for some innovative info on the subject matter.
Rachel
This book is a well-done cookbook and resource guide for parents of children from infants to eleven years old. It gave tips on how to introduce new food to kids as well as how to handle typical age-related problems in relation to what the kids are eating. While I wouldn't try all the recipes for each age group, I did think the recipes got better and more tasty-looking (for children as well as adults) as the book progressed. I think I might buy this one. 5 stars.
Brittany
I received this book through the First Reads giveaway program on Goodreads.

The perfect edition to any cookbook collection! Recipes are broken down into age ranges and present a variety of ideas. Although these are not your everyday recipes, they do provide a nice change in the normal dinner routine and can just as well be used for the rest of the family.
Victoria
I received a free copy of this book through a Good Reads First Read giveaway. Thanks!

While my husband and I aren't parents, we are Aunt and Uncle and when my sister's little one comes to visit (or we go to visit), we will probably try out some of these recipes.

The good thing? A lot of these recipes translate perfectly to the adult palate.
Jessie
Nice cookbook with tips for feeding children well, arranged by age. I liked the emphasis on letting kids help with cooking and found that I'm already doing a lot of their suggestions with my toddler. As usual, too many meat recipes for me to purchase but it was a good read with some good recipes.
Lisa
My 3-year old daughter and I had a fun time looking at the pictures and picking out recipes to make. We're going to try about 10 of them.

This is a helpful books for parents on how to introduce flavors and foods to children, from infants to adolescents.
Lindsay Amonett
Dec 06, 2011 Lindsay Amonett marked it as to-read
Can't wait to receive my free copy of this book. I have a son who is one and a half and I would like the addition of new recipes. I can only imagine he gets tired of the same old things, I know I sure do! Will update after reading!
Douglas Larson
None of the chefs are people I have ever heard of, but the recipes are interesting. I have tried a few of them and like them.
I mostly enjoy seeing recipes from chefs for food that kids will eat and enjoy.

Michelle
This cookbook is more for me than for any kids. I'm a very picky eater but I'm very excited to try out a lot of these dishes. The honey ginger ice cream is already my favorite.
Ann
Great cookbook. The recipes are delicious for kids and adults. Also, it gives new ideas. Who knew kids love seaweed?!
Booknblues
Booknblues marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Ninagood
Ninagood marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
E Federspiel
E Federspiel marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Sandra
Sandra marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Charlene
Charlene marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2014