The Windvale Sprites

The Windvale Sprites

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  76 ratings  ·  18 reviews
When a storm sweeps through the country, Asa wakes up the next day to find that his town is almost unrecognisable - trees have fallen down, roofs have collapsed and debris lies everywhere. But amongst the debris in his back garden Asa makes an astounding discovery - the body of a small winged creature. A creature that looks very like a fairy. Do fairies really exist? Asa e...more
Published November 1st 2011 by Faber & Faber

Lise
Mackenzie Crook has illustrated the story of "The Windvale Sprites" along with the cover illustration. His illustrations go perfectly with his story.

I picked this copy of "The Windvale Sprites" up at my library. Ragnhild, the fantasy-buff librarian, makes certain she keeps the fantasy/science fiction section well-stocked with books for all age groups. She seems to have a pretty good eye for what will appeal to people. Once again, she was correct where I was concerned.

Librarians are such wonderfu...more
Emilee
Dec 04, 2011 Emilee rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
A quick read with definite environmental overtones, but not too preachy.
Jenny / Wondrous Reads
I'm glad I waited to read The Windvale Sprites until after I'd read the new prequel book in the series, The Lost Journals of Benjamin Tooth. A lot of the story relates to the new book, and I enjoyed it more knowing some of the background of Benjamin Tooth and the Windvale Sprites. Of course, these books can be read in any order, and complement each other - there's no right way to read them!

Mackenzie Crook surprised me yet again with his ability to write for a young audience. I don't know if he h...more
Millions
Magical, spellbinding story without magic or spells or a villain

In this book, I find Mackenzie Crook to be a talented writer and artist. To find his debut book so easy to read and so non-derivative has been a real pleasure. This book deserves my rarely-awarded 5 stars.

The opening words drew me in – the scenes of destruction and mayhem were painted with evocative style. Asa Brown, the main character, doesn’t search out another two children to join in the adventure that finds him – literally in hi...more
A.m. Layet
It's not often the panel of experts at Booksfc review books that are classics, or even 'instant classics'. Actually, it's not often the panel of experts review books. (Sorry!) They are too busy squabbling. But The Windvale Sprites by Mackenzie Crook is special. So special, the panel of experts have decided to hold a ceasefire just so they can review the book properly.

The story starts when the very ordinary Asa Brown discovers something very extraordinary floating in his duckpond. Something with...more
Since there was a big storm predicted for today, I decided to pick a quick read from my shelves and hide in bed until it was over. By pure chance I ended up with a book that begins with a big storm. Perfect!

Anyway, it was exactly what I was hoping for in a magical adventure book! Its beautiful illustrations really helped make the story come alive.

One of the things I really liked about this book was that even though the little protagonist initially follows in the footsteps of a scientist, he neve...more
Alison
This is the first novel written and illustrated by actor Mackenzie Crook. It is the story of Asa Brown, who after the Great Storm of 1987 finds a mysterious creature drowned in a pond in his back garden. Asa discovers that the creature is a sprite, first identified by the mysterious Benjamin Tooth on Windvale Moor two hundred years previously. Asa is determined to find out more about them, which he does by deceiving his parents into believing that he is going on a school trip, but he ends up by...more
Kari
This was okay but felt a little disjointed, moving from a quiet, slow story into quite a scary encounter and all a lot of action thrown in at the end. I found the character of Asa Brown quite hard to believe in. If you were a young boy and had just found a strange creature surely the first thing you would do is to tell your best friend?! Instead Crook sets Asa up almost as a loner with all his adventures undertaken all by himself. He also seems worringly able to deceive his parents, disappear fo...more
Shannon
What a cute little tale for children (aged 7-8ish maybe) with fairies and a lovely little moral about not exploiting things for your own gain. The illustrations were great, and not a hint of a "villain" in sight. I was curious after I found out that Mackenzie Crook had written and illustrated a book, and I wasn't disappointed.
Stuart Spendlow
Stunning book with clever language, moments of sheer literary beauty and comedy. Great characters and a well-paced, if occasionally slow, plot.
Sash Uusjärv
Lugama hakkasin pika hambaga, sest, noh, järjekordne staar, eks ole, kes arvab, et mis saab lihtsam olla kui lasteraamatu kirjutamine.
Olin sunnitud kohe oma arvamust muutma, sest raamat on tõesti hea - kaasahaarav lihtne lugu, täiesti originaalne, kurb, julm ja armas nagu üks hea lugu olema peab. Üks neist vähestest lasteraamatutest viimasel ajal, mis ajukäärude vahele pikemaks kinni ja kummitama on jäänud.
Väga soovitan!
Bridget
It's a quick read for sure, but a really interesting one. I love the wast that the librarians are portrayed and the adventurous spirit of Asa. I felt like the progression was natural and thought out pretty well. I'm into the fact that the ending was a little open in done ways and the littler repays and turns of the story were nice!

It's definitely something I would have enjoyed reading when I was in the targeted age group!
D.peabody
Asa Brown finds a sprite in his garden after a storm. Determined to learn more about these magical creatures he embarks on an adventure of discovery. What he finds is both magical and surprising. This is a lovely first book from this author. A beautiful story with illustrations to match. Definately a 'tween' read. I hope to read many more stories by this author and maybe even with these characters.
Zoe
I read this little book in 3 hours, but then im an adult not a child, nice little book,
Not a cutesy fairy story, has lots of environmental and moral overtones with out being in your face. Not bad for first book, I do love the artwork which are done by the author.
Sanne
Just a nice tale about the wonderful sprites, takes little effort to read. Though it has a slow beginning it suddenly bursts into a lot of events in the end, the only down point. I felt as if the book had just started and then it suddenly ended so quickly.
Natoz!!!
this book was good. i really hate fantasy but this book was actually good.it is about a boy who finds well won't give it away but u need to read it.i do recommend it!!!
Katy Noyes
Wanted to read Crook's debut. Wasn't disappointed, it's a lovely fairy story for children that isn't twee and has some nice illustrations drawn by the author.
Kerri
Brilliant. Cannot highly recommend this book enough. Short to the point, full of imagination. The drawings in the book are by the author himself.
Carly
Really magical,fun filled read! Review to come...
Wrighty
Wrighty marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Sannie Hald
Sannie Hald marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Dara
Dara added it
Apr 07, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2014
Laura added it
Apr 29, 2014
Maddy
Maddy marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Sheryl
Sheryl marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Lost Journals of Benjamin Tooth The Windvale Sprites (BBC Audio) Ragetti's Secret Diary