Start by marking “The Windvale Sprites” as Want to Read:
The Windvale Sprites

The Windvale Sprites

When a storm sweeps through the country, Asa wakes up the next day to find that his town is almost unrecognisable - trees have fallen down, roofs have collapsed and debris lies everywhere. But amongst the debris in his back garden Asa makes an astounding discovery - the body of a small winged creature. A creature that looks very like a fairy. Do fairies really exist? Asa e ...more
Published November 3rd 2011 by Faber & Faber (first published November 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Windvale Sprites, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Windvale Sprites

Emilee
Nov 24, 2011 Emilee rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
A quick read with definite environmental overtones, but not too preachy.
A.m. Layet
Dec 10, 2012 A.m. Layet rated it it was amazing
It's not often the panel of experts at Booksfc review books that are classics, or even 'instant classics'. Actually, it's not often the panel of experts review books. (Sorry!) They are too busy squabbling. But The Windvale Sprites by Mackenzie Crook is special. So special, the panel of experts have decided to hold a ceasefire just so they can review the book properly.

The story starts when the very ordinary Asa Brown discovers something very extraordinary floating in his duckpond. Something with
Ameya
Aug 02, 2013 Ameya rated it it was amazing
Magical, spellbinding story without magic or spells or a villain

In this book, I find Mackenzie Crook to be a talented writer and artist. To find his debut book so easy to read and so non-derivative has been a real pleasure. This book deserves my rarely-awarded 5 stars.

The opening words drew me in – the scenes of destruction and mayhem were painted with evocative style. Asa Brown, the main character, doesn’t search out another two children to join in the adventure that finds him – literally in hi
Lise
Jul 09, 2014 Lise rated it really liked it
Mackenzie Crook has illustrated the story of "The Windvale Sprites" along with the cover illustration. His illustrations go perfectly with his story.

I picked this copy of "The Windvale Sprites" up at my library. Ragnhild, the fantasy-buff librarian, makes certain she keeps the fantasy/science fiction section well-stocked with books for all age groups. She seems to have a pretty good eye for what will appeal to people. Once again, she was correct where I was concerned.

Librarians are such wonderfu
Jenny / Wondrous Reads
Oct 15, 2013 Jenny / Wondrous Reads rated it really liked it
I'm glad I waited to read The Windvale Sprites until after I'd read the new prequel book in the series, The Lost Journals of Benjamin Tooth. A lot of the story relates to the new book, and I enjoyed it more knowing some of the background of Benjamin Tooth and the Windvale Sprites. Of course, these books can be read in any order, and complement each other - there's no right way to read them!

Mackenzie Crook surprised me yet again with his ability to write for a young audience. I don't know if he h
Sep 01, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it
Since there was a big storm predicted for today, I decided to pick a quick read from my shelves and hide in bed until it was over. By pure chance I ended up with a book that begins with a big storm. Perfect!

Anyway, it was exactly what I was hoping for in a magical adventure book! Its beautiful illustrations really helped make the story come alive.

One of the things I really liked about this book was that even though the little protagonist initially follows in the footsteps of a scientist, he neve
Faye {Daydreaming_Star}
Oct 26, 2013 Faye {Daydreaming_Star} rated it really liked it
This book is a lovely, light-hearted read that I am certain children of many ages would really enjoy. It is shrouded in mystery and magic and is simply a cute tale that was hard not to find entertaining. There was humour laced with the story as well and I just believe it was a lovely and wonderful book, which is good when you just want to escape for a little while.

After reading just the first page of this book, I was hooked. I could actually tell that this book had a flair of life that I would e
Alison
This is the first novel written and illustrated by actor Mackenzie Crook. It is the story of Asa Brown, who after the Great Storm of 1987 finds a mysterious creature drowned in a pond in his back garden. Asa discovers that the creature is a sprite, first identified by the mysterious Benjamin Tooth on Windvale Moor two hundred years previously. Asa is determined to find out more about them, which he does by deceiving his parents into believing that he is going on a school trip, but he ends up by ...more
Kari
Feb 21, 2012 Kari rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens-teen
This was okay but felt a little disjointed, moving from a quiet, slow story into quite a scary encounter and all a lot of action thrown in at the end. I found the character of Asa Brown quite hard to believe in. If you were a young boy and had just found a strange creature surely the first thing you would do is to tell your best friend?! Instead Crook sets Asa up almost as a loner with all his adventures undertaken all by himself. He also seems worringly able to deceive his parents, disappear fo ...more
Laura Anderson
Sep 11, 2016 Laura Anderson rated it liked it
A short, easy book for older children, with some nice illustrations by the author. Pace was an issue, and the book felt very much weighted towards the finish. There was a lack of real conflict in the book, but this may make it more suitable for some children (even though bits are really quite horrible in it!). On the plus side, some of the writing was absolutely beautiful and there were some really funny sentences and imagery conjured up. Will be interesting to see what Crook does after this ser ...more
Kerli
Sep 04, 2016 Kerli rated it really liked it
I was surprised to see this in the library, and obviously borrowed it because its famous author. :)

I didn't know what to expect really, but after Detectorists, I knew it couldn't be total rubbish. Well, I wasn't disappointed. It was quite fast-paced with lots of twists, and some jokes thrown in as well. Illustrations were nicely done. Definitely a kids' book, but I'm not saying it in a condescending way, I like childrens' fantasy. Had a bit too abrupt ending for my taste, but maybe there will be
D.peabody
Jan 10, 2013 D.peabody rated it really liked it
Asa Brown finds a sprite in his garden after a storm. Determined to learn more about these magical creatures he embarks on an adventure of discovery. What he finds is both magical and surprising. This is a lovely first book from this author. A beautiful story with illustrations to match. Definately a 'tween' read. I hope to read many more stories by this author and maybe even with these characters.
Sash Uusjärv
Jul 20, 2012 Sash Uusjärv rated it really liked it
Lugama hakkasin pika hambaga, sest, noh, järjekordne staar, eks ole, kes arvab, et mis saab lihtsam olla kui lasteraamatu kirjutamine.
Olin sunnitud kohe oma arvamust muutma, sest raamat on tõesti hea - kaasahaarav lihtne lugu, täiesti originaalne, kurb, julm ja armas nagu üks hea lugu olema peab. Üks neist vähestest lasteraamatutest viimasel ajal, mis ajukäärude vahele pikemaks kinni ja kummitama on jäänud.
Väga soovitan!
Bridget
Apr 30, 2013 Bridget rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
It's a quick read for sure, but a really interesting one. I love the wast that the librarians are portrayed and the adventurous spirit of Asa. I felt like the progression was natural and thought out pretty well. I'm into the fact that the ending was a little open in done ways and the littler repays and turns of the story were nice!

It's definitely something I would have enjoyed reading when I was in the targeted age group!
Suzie Bookgirl
Oct 24, 2015 Suzie Bookgirl rated it really liked it
Asa Brown finds a sprite in his garden after a storm. Determined to learn more about these magical creatures he embarks on an adventure of discovery. What he finds is both magical and surprising. This is a lovely first book from this author. A beautiful story with illustrations to match. Definitely a 'tween' read. I hope to read many more stories by this author and maybe even with these characters.
Arlette Sjerp
A true little treasure I happened to find on the give away bookshelves at work. I finished it within two days. The story is simply captivating. I know I would have loved this as a child, but the fact that I love it as an adult, without any nostalgia attached, makes it a truly good children's book, in my opinion.
Shannon
Jan 23, 2014 Shannon rated it really liked it
What a cute little tale for children (aged 7-8ish maybe) with fairies and a lovely little moral about not exploiting things for your own gain. The illustrations were great, and not a hint of a "villain" in sight. I was curious after I found out that Mackenzie Crook had written and illustrated a book, and I wasn't disappointed.
Zoe
Jan 31, 2012 Zoe rated it really liked it
I read this little book in 3 hours, but then im an adult not a child, nice little book,
Not a cutesy fairy story, has lots of environmental and moral overtones with out being in your face. Not bad for first book, I do love the artwork which are done by the author.
Olivia
Jan 31, 2015 Olivia rated it liked it
I picked up this book knowing full well that it was a book aimed at a much younger audience (early primary years). Despite that I absolutely loved the concept, and I really enjoyed getting back in touch with my childhood reading habits with this book.
Jane
Aug 06, 2014 Jane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this because we are going to see the author at the Edinburgh Book Festival and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I want to know more though and hope this is the beginning of a series - very enjoyable and loved the illustrations. Good for reading aloud too which I intend to do with my son
Sanne
Aug 11, 2012 Sanne rated it liked it
Just a nice tale about the wonderful sprites, takes little effort to read. Though it has a slow beginning it suddenly bursts into a lot of events in the end, the only down point. I felt as if the book had just started and then it suddenly ended so quickly.
Natoz!!!
Oct 22, 2012 Natoz!!! rated it really liked it
this book was good. i really hate fantasy but this book was actually good.it is about a boy who finds well won't give it away but u need to read it.i do recommend it!!!
Susan
Jan 24, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. I loved this book; if you enjoyed his series, "The Detectorists," then this is for you. Subtle and evocative.
Stuart Spendlow
Jun 29, 2014 Stuart Spendlow rated it it was amazing
Stunning book with clever language, moments of sheer literary beauty and comedy. Great characters and a well-paced, if occasionally slow, plot.
Katy Noyes
Aug 13, 2012 Katy Noyes rated it really liked it
Wanted to read Crook's debut. Wasn't disappointed, it's a lovely fairy story for children that isn't twee and has some nice illustrations drawn by the author.
Amanda
Mar 09, 2016 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this little book. Easy to read and a great story I'd like to reread this to my kids when they are a bit older.
Michelle Tolmay
Jan 02, 2017 Michelle Tolmay rated it really liked it
Beautifully written and illustrated.

Lovely heart warming story
Darran Stobbart
Jul 09, 2015 Darran Stobbart rated it liked it
Review on Shinraalpha.com - http://shinraalpha.com/2011/10/24/the...
Kerri
Dec 18, 2013 Kerri rated it it was amazing
Brilliant. Cannot highly recommend this book enough. Short to the point, full of imagination. The drawings in the book are by the author himself.
Emma Bullen
Apr 04, 2015 Emma Bullen rated it it was amazing
An absolute delight. Crook has a wonderful imagination and a captivating writing style.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Flies Again (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, #2)
  • Twelve Minutes to Midnight (Twelve Minutes to Midnight, #1)
  • De tuinen van Dorr
  • Archie Greene and the Magician’s Secret
  • Ash Mistry and the City of Death (Ash Mistry Chronicles, #2)
  • The Secret of the Dread Forest (Faire Folk Trilogy #3)
  • Mzzlmeiden
  • Overstroomd
  • I Am Not A Loser
  • The Complete Book of the Flower Fairies
  • Journal Secret Du Petit Poucet
  • Wanted! Ralfy Rabbit, Book Burglar
  • On Extinction: How We Became Estranged from Nature
  • The Great Escape (Tumtum and Nutmeg #2)
  • Museum Without Walls
  • The Lost Realm (The Chronicles Of Fantasy Kingdom #1)
  • Strike a Pose, Daizy Star