Start by marking “Twelve Days of Christmas” as Want to Read:
Twelve Days of Christmas

Twelve Days of Christmas

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  2,796 ratings  ·  277 reviews
Christmas has always been a sad time for young widow Holly Brown, so when she's asked to look after a remote house on the Lancashire moors, the opportunity to hide herself away is irresistible – the perfect excuse to forget about the festivitiesChristmas has always been a sad time for young widow Holly Brown, so when she's asked to look after a remote house on the Lancashi ...more
Published October 28th 2010 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Twelve Days of Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twelve Days of Christmas

Suad Shamma
I just finished reading Twelve Days of Christmas an hour ago, and immediately went back to Amazon to look through ALL the comments, as I was sure someone must share my opinion! I bought this book after seeing so many good and positive reviews, but I was very disappointed as it left me feeling very very bored and frustrated. It seems that I am categorized with the minority.

1. there are WAY too many details in this book for the reader to fully be able to enjoy him/herself and get lost in the story
Stephanie (Stepping out of the Page)
I was a bit dubious about this book before I read it because I disliked 'Chocolate Wishes', the book I had previously read by the same author but as it's Christmas, I had to give it a read and I'm very glad that I did - I didn't even mind the mention of Chocolate wishes themselves! I adored this book from start to finish. The book was certainly festive and I really enjoyed the plot. I found the writing style a bit hard to get used to at first as I kept forgetting it was written in first person, ...more
Lyv
When I started the book, I really didn’t like Trisha Ashley’s writing style.

I got bored at several occasions. The author was often stating the obvious (“I hugged her – but cautiously, because of her prominent bump”. Yes, we know the girl is pregnant, you said it earlier). And all her unnecessary comments were quite annoying. It felt like she needed to explain to the reader every slightly ambiguous thing, just in case he/she wouldn’t understand.

Some dialogues were not very credible in my opinion
Raquel Leite
Este livro conquistou-me mais pela capa do que outra coisa, visto que nem me tinha apercebido que era da Trisha Ashley e que não tinha gostado do seu livro anterior. E de facto foi um pouco aborrecido em algumas partes ler este livro.
A história é em volta de Holly, de 35 anos, incrivelmente chata, e tudo o que ela quer fazer, cozinhas, ajudar animais e tudo mais, tem de ser contado com todos os pormenores possíveis e com detalhes excessivos. Eu adoro cozinhar, mas isto chega a ser penoso, pois m
cloudyskye
Not too bad, but it should be edited into something better and shorter. So many unnecessary sentences, and if I had my way, quite a few characters would bite the dust, too. Ah well, I've read worse, and it's nice to look at.
Lynsey
With me, when this author gets it right, she gets it REALLY right and this book was just wonderful!

There are no big romance fireworks and there is no sex in this book, which quite frankly is normally enough to put me off! However, the reason I keep reading Trisha Ashley is that I just absolutely love her anecdotal style of writing and I find myself drinking it in without even trying. I love getting to know her quirky cast of characters and I am always very sad to leave them. I smiled through mos
TheSecretWriter
This book not only has a great seasonally designed cover, it also contains a great story inside! Trisha Ashley has done it again by producing another five star read. I have recently become a fan of Trisha Ashely's writing and I think Katie Fforde has got it right when she states that Trisha Ashley is, 'one of the best writers around'.

'Twelve Days of Christmas' is a romantic comedy, full of the fun for the festive season and some delicious tales about cooking as well! The book tells the story of
Emma
Unfortunately, the style of writing employed by the author really didn't suit my taste. It was virtually all tell, rather than show - including the dialogue which felt extremely stilted and unrealistic. I couldn't Understand why Holly would need to explain the reasons why she wanted to house-sit over Christmas to her best friend of many years and the spiky, rude exchanges between her and Jude just didn't seem to make sense, resulting in making holly a less sympathetic character to me.

There was l
Catarina
Bem, posso começar por dizer que gostei bem mais deste livro do que do primeiro que li da autora! Gostei da sensação acolhedora que o livro transmitiu ao longo de toda a leitura, como se pudéssemos aparecer em Old Place a qualquer momento e ter um lugar à mesa. Gostei da rotina dos dias, da organização da Holly, e, acima de tudo, gostei das picardias com Jude, do facto de Holly não conseguir conter as respostas sarcásticas sempre que se proporcionavam.

Gostei de toda a família, mesmo de Guy, um
This is a book in need of editing. There are too many exclamation marks, too much repetition of facts and not enough plot at the start of the novel.

I'd got a third of the way through and was despairing at the lack of action, but I persevered and thankfully my loyalty paid off, as the story became more intriguing, to the point that it became hard to put down by the final chapters.

In some ways 'Twelve Days of Christmas' reminded me of 'Cold Comfort Farm' with its miscellany of rural oddballs. It
Jessica (Jess Hearts Books)
What first attracted me to Twelve Days of Christmas was that it sounded very much like one of my all-time favourite Christmas films “The Holiday” with it being about house sitting over Christmas time so I was very excited to start reading this when the snow started to fall and I was really getting into that Christmas Spirit, and well, I guess I’m just going to come out and say it. I didn’t like this book.

The story centres around 35 year old Holly Brown and the main problem I had with this book i
Rebecca tedder
Holly doesn't celebrate Christmas. Firstly being bought up by her Strange Baptist Grandmother following the death of her mother during childbirth. It's also her birthday 25th December. Then many years on her husband died around this time.

A part time housesitting job turns into a Christmas bonanza when the Martland family decend upon the old family home only to be snowed in forcing Holly to take care of not only the Martland clan but much of the small village they live in.

The passing of Hollys G
Vera
Durante o verão é uma chef conceituada cobrando exorbitâncias pelos seus serviços, no inverno é house sitter, ou seja cuida da casa dos outros aquando da sua ausência. É esta a vida de Holly Brown desde a morte do seu marido há 8 anos. Ao ser enviada para cuidar da casa de Jude Martland não faz ideia onde se vai meter, achando que iria cuidar de uma grande casa vazia assim como do cão e do cavalo com tempo para ler os diários da sua recém falecida avó, Holly acaba por se ver a cuidar de toda a ...more
Shannon
Given that Christmas is my absolute favourite time of year, it should be no surprise to you all that I simply adore anything to do with the festive season, and especially enjoy a good Christmas book! Needless to say, the title of this novel from Trisha Ashley was enticing enough on its own, plus the promise of a Christmas-focused story was as alluring as the smell of freshly cooked gingerbread men.
What did I think? I actually really enjoyed reading this book; the story was immersed in festiviti
Jenni
This was my second seasonal read, and I really liked it. The plot is fairly simple and it plods along quite contentedly. I've seen other reviewers criticise this book because not a lot happens, I found myself enjoying the book for this very reason. The book is set in a tiny sleepy village full of mildly eccentric characters, I think this is the reason I got so drawn into the book - as a country girl I could really identify with the book.

I enjoyed Holly as a character though I couldn't always und
Encruzilhadas Literárias
O Natal chegou mais cedo e eu não poderia estar mais feliz! Quem me conhece, sabe que sou uma apaixonada por esta altura do ano e abraço o espírito natalício, doa a quem doer (ou isto não entra bem na quadra?). Noite de Reis, de Trisha Ashley inaugurou a abertura oficial da época para mim! E para quem diz que é demasiado cedo, então não queiram saber o que é que estou a ouvir no exacto momento em que escrevo esta opinião. Ou queiram. É uma boa banda sonora enquanto lêem este livro: "Christmas", ...more
Julie Goucher
The prologue to the book sets the scene. Holly Brown is a young widow whose husband was killed in a tragic accident just before Christmas. Holly's parents died when she was young and she was raised by her Grandparents. Holly's Grandmother had been ill and as she passed away she mentioned a name of Ned Marland. A name completely unfamiliar to Holly.....

Holly housesits for a living during the winter and works as a chef during the rest of the year. Due to her upbringing and her deepset grief at Chr
Julie
I am quite disappointed to have finished this book as I was enjoying it so much.

Holly the central character is a house sitter and chef who wanted to escape Christmas but instead gets 'snowed in' with her clients family. To fill in her time Holly is exploring her late Gran's diaries and soon realises that there is a reason why so many of the villagers 'think she is part of the family'.

There are a few comedy parts as well, with some sarcastic swipes thrown in by the little girl Jess, who along wi
Rachel Powell
Not the sort of book I would usually choose, but I'm going through a phase of reading the "fastback" books at the local library (recently published, 2 week loan period, not renewable) and when I went in on November 30th I'd just dropped my daughter off to sings carols at an old people's home, the library staff were putting up decorations and it was actually snowing outside, so I was feeling cosy and festive. It leapt off the shelf at me.

The writing was a little annoying, due to over-use of some
Caroline
A professional private chef and housesitter, brought up by a Strange Baptist grandmother, shuns Christmas because her husband died a few days before the holiday. She accepts a last minute housesitting job out in the country, and looks forward to the isolation.

Instead, she finds herself gradually and reluctantly getting involved in the home owner's elderly relatives and various villagers, all the while fending off irate calls from a very disgruntled homeowner currently in America.

Dealing with err
Lucy
*Aviso que inclui um pequeno spoiler (quem não gosta, não leia)*

É um livro muito bem escrito, e como já o disseram nalgumas reviews (nas badanas do próprio livro) é um bom livro para ler num dia de inverno... É reconfortante e diverte.
Não apreciei muito a forma como Trisha Ashley escreveu certas cenas no estranho romance de Holly Brown e Jude Martland, como o seu primeiro beijo. Embora entenda que a mesma quisesse que este fosse inesperado e, de facto, foi mas demasiado. Num momento falam de alg
Steffi
I expected a cosy and romantic read as a countdown to Christmas but the book left me pretty much disappointed. The story was mostly boring and predictable and could hardly entertain me. There were tons of food descriptions, far away from being interesting or even mouth-watering. For the romance I had to wait forever and I still I couldn't feel any sparks in the air. Most characters, especially the main protagonists, failed to touch me, I just couldn't connect with any of them.

The writing style i
Jenny
I read this because 'a book set at Christmas' was on a reading challenge I've taken on and I found it on a charity stall!

It was an interesting set-up - a woman looking forward to spending Christmas quietly and alone unexpectedly finds herself hosting a snowed-in house party for a lot of strangers - and it could have been very funny. But there was a romance awkwardly tucked into it that was very difficult to care about, with unconvincing 'red herring' suitors all over the place that just made me
Rhia
After I'd finished reading it yesterday, I rated it 2 stars.
Today however, I have changed that rating to 3 stars.

It wasn't a majorly eventful book, and I can't say constantly reading about cooking particularly interests me so that's why I initially gave it 2. Also many of the side characters annoyed me a little bit and I wished they had've been a bit more lovable. I would also have preferred Jude to have more page-time than he actually did, considering he was the love interest.

BUT despite any fl
Ellen
I picked this up wanting a light, Christmas-y read. This definitely fit the bill, and for the most part I found it rather enjoyable. The ending was a foregone conclusion, but I'm not reading e-book holiday romance for suspense or masterful plotting. :) The one complaint I had is that the author broke the "show, don't tell" rule on pretty much every page. At first I found the cooking details fun and charming, but it got to be too much by the end of the book.
Heather
Sigh. This book was only marginally better than boring. I love books that include cooking but the author really didn't manage to make those sections flow with the rest of the story. Plus I'm getting tired of the lack of reality in these stories. Quite a few typos which I always find irritating. And how convenient Ned turns out to be an adopted Martland, no incest infected babies huh. Was an okay read but didn't really do it for me & I shan't be reading it again.
Jodie
Definitely something to read at Christmas! I wasn't entirely sure about this book when I first started to read it, the characters were annoying and Trisha seems to describe every single mundane task that you don't really need to know but as the book went on it did get better. I gave this 3 stars because although it was a nice read and it was very Christmassy it wasn't the most exciting book!
Gabriela
I picked up this one book because I wanted to read at least one Christmas-themed story in December. It was a slow start, to be sincere, and I'm not entirely sure I'm happy with the way it ended but it was still a rather good book and by the half of it, I was so caught up that I couldn't put it down, even for the sake of sustenance. :D
Fernanda
Trisha Ashley quiz nos brindar com uma historia "simples", ternurenta e aconchegante. Tem como cenário a quadra Natalicia e por isso pensamos que a historia terá o fogo da paixão embrulhado num ambiente acolhedor e romântico....

Ler Opinião completa:
Sara Berbigão
O Natal é uma das minhas alturas do ano preferidas e este ano decidi ler um livro alusivo à época. Já tinha lido há algum tempo a sinopse e achei que era uma boa opção.

E de facto foi. Adorei o livro. Foi mesmo de encontro aos objetivos: ser relaxante, contribuir para o espírito natalício e proporcionar uma boa leitura.

Achei uma boa história, um pouco previsível, sim, mas que me agradou. Gostei de ver o desenvolver da opinião da Holly em relação ao Natal, de a parte amorosa não ser instantânea,
  • All I Want for Christmas
  • Once upon a Christmas
  • Miracle on Regent Street
  • Christmas at Tiffany's
  • Fairytale of New York
  • Christmas at the Cupcake Café (At the Cupcake Café, #2)
  • The Perfect Christmas
  • Christmas at the Crescent
  • Make My Wish Come True
Trisha Ashley is now a full-time novelist, but she has been known to work for stained glass makers and/or plumbers. She likes to paint, eat, drink, and read literary biographies. Her previous hobbies included getting divorced and packing to move. She claims to have once actually eaten Bronte burgers at the Branwell café, but her publisher declines to verify this. She lives in North Wales.
More about Trisha Ashley...
Chocolate Wishes Wedding Tiers Chocolate Shoes and Wedding Blues A Winter's Tale The Magic of Christmas