Blank-133x176
Heal Your Body: The Me...

Louise L. Hay

Heal Your Body: The Mental Causes for Physical Illness and the Metaphysical Way to Overcome Them

4.31 of 5 stars 4.31  ·  rating details  ·  6,525 ratings  ·  86 reviews
Heal Your Body is a fresh and easy step-by-step guide. Just look up your specific health challenge and you will find the probable cause for this health issue and the information you need to overcome it by creating a new thought pattern. Louise L. Hay, bestselling author, is an internationally known leader in the self-help field. Her key message: "If we are willing to do th...more
Published January 1st 1984 by Hay House, Inc. (first published May 1st 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Heal Your Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heal Your Body

Jenger
Aug 09, 2008 Jenger rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in the mind/body connection
Recommended to Jenger by: Pat Barnes
Shelves: books-i-own
In dealing with chronic pain a friend referred this book to me as an alternative to the traditional medicine that wasn't as effective as necessary. It's just a short book which lists different diseases and physical ailments and what are perceived as the psychological reasonings behind those pains. I've always believed there is some connection between mind and body, I just never considered the specific relationship between each part of the body and the psyche. It was actually a very enlightening...more
Heather
What can I say about a book written by a woman who states that babies are born with birth defects because they CHOOSE to be born that way?? Nothing good! At all! Shame on you Louise Hay!
GlobeRunner
I read this booklet right after the popular science book “Microbe Hunters” (Paul de Kruif), in which I found this statement, as true now as it was when the book was written in 1926: "Murderous germs are everywhere, sneaking into all of us, yet they are able to assassinate only some of us, and that question of the strange resistance of the rest of us is still just as much an unsolved puzzle as it was in those days of the roaring eighteen-eighties when men were ready to risk dying to prove that th...more
Mamey
I LOVE Louise Hay! This book is a great addition to those particular books that you will go back to often. Reference books, is what I call them. I love her philosophy and her concepts of what you say becomes your life. Very powerful. As I read through some of the health issue's I've experienced, I had to really be honest with myself and admit alot of uncomfortable things about myself. It was eye-opening and hopefully will stick and remain with me forever so I can continue to grow and improve my...more
Sara
it was interesting to say the least, but not my cup if tea. well i do agree with some things she says, but not with everything else. i.e. about eye sight in regards to near sightedness? i've had bad eye sight since i was a child. as a child not even 10, i was not afraid of the future? the future was allicould think about andhow exiting it would be growing up. and i accepted guidence and i knew i was safe...

well... i guess its each to their own.
Anna
Feb 05, 2009 Anna rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Anna by: Kymia
I would love to say that I believe in this stuff (there's a HUGE "but" coming) BUT while I do think there's some truth to the "mind over body" way of thinking, I don't think you can really wish away a cyst or cancer. I wish you could and I do think a positive attitude can go a long way but when I get sick I want to make sure I have a good, qualified physician taking care of me, not this book.
Laura Cantu
Apr 10, 2013 Laura Cantu rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone in need of healing
Louis L. Hay presents a useful and seemingly accurate perspective on why our bodies may express discomfort. I highly recommend this book to anyone that is in need of healing. This book encourages us to use the power of our minds to influence our healing processes. Heal Your Body can help you gain insight into your purpose, the obstacles you face, and sheds light onto those things that can be difficult to face. Using this clear and easy to use "manual" can help bring not only healing, but joy and...more
Gwendoline Van
Much more simplistic than I imagined, I nonetheless enjoyed this book. Hay essentially distills all ailments as falling into two buckets--expressions of anger or expressions of fear.

“The mental thought patterns that cause the most dis-ease in the body are criticism, anger, resentment, and guilt."

The idea is that you look to your physical ailments to give you clues about your emotional and psychological health. Hay offers up mantras to counter what your ailments reveal.

A few of the ailments tha...more
Joanne
This book is my health bible - dare to tell me you have an ailment and I will be flicking through the pages to tell you what the emotional cause could be. Battered and bruised I carry it with me always. It helps you understand the emotional roots for ill-health and support the idea that we really can heal ourselves more often than we think
Aimee
This is a great, easy to access book if you are looking into alternative approaches to health and wellness. It's based on metaphysical philosophies of health and disease (dis-ease). I highly recommend it if you are looking to improve your quality of life, better understand your body, and are able to keep an open mind.
Allirock
Well, if you know me, you know I am into ways of natural healing and all that hippie crap. So, Bev gave me this book and I really did love it. Even though it is more like a guide than a book, I really learned a lot from it. Saying the affirmations in it really have helped me with my anxiety.
Ryan Barone
I was referred to this book by a famous hypnotist named Steven Parkfield. This book is a companion book to heal your life, which is by the same author. This book is amazing, and may sound somewhat OUT THERE at first, just start examining others around you who suffer from problems, you will then start to see how right this book is. I was a cigarette smoker for awhile, and after reading this book I quit. Now, this had nothing to do with "reading" the book, but everything to do with implementing th...more
Allison W.
Jan 17, 2014 Allison W. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone interested
Recommended to Allison W. by: The Author
Wow. I've known about affirmations and that they work for promoting behavioral changes since I was very young. I can remember doing affirmations when I was in middle school (I was born in 1967). I can't remember having actively used them in the past 15 years. That is about to dramatically change.

I've suffered from clinical depression for decades and I feel like Louise Hay's insights may profoundly change IMPROVE my day-to-day life. I know this for certain, it will not hurt or make things worse.

S...more
Iroquois
neat!
quick little reference book to mind-body connection to common illnesses
Lisse
I picked this book up from the library after reading a couple other of Hay's books. This is a really quick, breeze-your-way through book. It talks of the mind-body connection and how it impacts chronic illness and other aches and pains. I recommend it for people who want to be inspired to clear out their past, negative thought patterns, etc. and see how it impacts their health. Most of the book lists different health problems and what Hay believes the mental connection to that problem is. Most o...more
Erika
A quick read about the mind/body/spirit connection, and, essentially, how fear infects our minds and, therefore, poisons our bodies. There's an interesting chart of physical ailments and their mental probable causes -- most have to do with being afraid of something. To combat such, there are affirming sayings to repeat and believe in.

Although the book is short and on to something, it raised a question: what about kids? Have they become choked by fear at such a young age that they suffer physica...more
Katherine Boyer
I was recently at the post office, buying stamps and mailing my new book to a friend, when I was reminded of this great book. The postal worker, Tren, asked what I had written. I told her it was about healing and creating a healthy family after having grown up in a dysfunctional family. She pointed to herself and replied how well she'd done, all with the help from Louise Hay. And her book is a wonderful guide post when one wishes to start the healing process. It is a great reference book to read...more
Theresa
pretty awesome little book. I found that a lot of these illnesses was/is right on with the causes. Now to put it to the test.
April
Not at all what I expected. Good for those looking to incorporate self-affirmations into their lives.
Diana Mcclure
Excellent tool. Mind/body health. I use it all the time!
Srileka Arul
This book gives the positive waves to our body... "YOU ARE WHO YOU THINK YOU ARE" is the basic of this book. Its about how we can mentally heal our physical body "metaphysical". It gives a detailed healing method for every pain and suffer u have in ur body and mind, with no medicines or treatments but by Your Thoughts. I think its very useful to have it in our hands. Physical pain goes or not, am sure... if we follow, we feel Positive.
Tony Masalta
I refer to this book as the bible when it comes to understanding and curing illness, I've put it to the test many times and it holds true. The book approaches the problem from the stand point that ALL disease is caused by mental/emotional states of being (even accidents)My recommendation is read this book, put it to the test and see. What better recommendation is there?
Brandi
This book was very interesting to me. Our physical ailments coincide with our emotional issues, and using the new thought patterns suggested in the book can help us heal. The only thing I didn't agree with was one of the methods of getting rid of headaches. Other than that, it has great insight and helps for healing.
Dawn
This is a great book! In this book, Louise Hay outlines hundreds of diseases and conditions, in alphabetical order, and the mental patterns that are associated with them. I think this book if a great place to examine how our thoughts and beliefs can effect the physical body.
Diane
This is one of my all time favorite books to refer back to! I believe that everything is in the mind; both health and illness. This book is a good reference to tell me the mental causes of what's going on with me physically. It's amazing how it matches up!

Ann
This book opened my eyes to the mind/body connection. Louise makes a good case for looking to our emotions and thoughts whenever we experience bodily distress, and she tells us where we should start looking first, depending on the ailment. Very enlightening.
Nikki
Such a fascinating idea! I wanted a lot more depth in the discussion of the science of mind-body connections, but I guess the main purpose of this book is as a quick reference to identify and extinguish mental blocks that create physical symptoms.
Shikha
Gave me some really great insights about what goes in the mind that manifests any disease in the body. I believe this book is for everyone, irrespective of gender, age, nationality, religion or status. Its for every citizen of the world.
Nattasha
I use this little book like a dictionary and carry it everywhere i go. The affirmations do work. i,m a huge fan of Louise Hay.This is amust have for anyone who believes in the mind body life connection.AWESOME IS ALL I CAN SAY
Sandie
I call this book my bible. I havent yet come across one illness where the mental pattern hasnt been 99.9% accurate. Often buy this book for friends as gifts and its the first place I turn to when I have a pain or illness.
  • Why People Don't Heal and How They Can: A Practical Programme for Healing Body, Mind and Spirit
  • Hands Of Light
  • Money, and the Law of Attraction: Learning to Attract Wealth, Health, and Happiness
  • Quantum Healing: Exploring the Frontiers of Mind Body Medicine
  • Energy Medicine: Use Your Body's Energies
  • Essential Reiki: A Complete Guide to an Ancient Healing Art
  • Living in the Light: A Guide to Personal and Planetary Transformation
  • The Hidden Messages in Water
  • Spiritual Growth: Being Your Higher Self
  • Spontaneous Healing
  • Love is in the Earth: A Kaleidoscope of Crystals - The Reference Book Describing the Metaphysical Properties of the Mineral Kingdom
  • The Dynamic Laws of Prosperity
  • What the Bleep Do We Know!?: Discovering the Endless Possibilities for Altering Your Everyday Reality
  • The Lightworker's Way: Awakening Your Spiritual Power to Know and Heal
  • Soul Stories
  • Love, Medicine and Miracles
  • Prescription for Nutritional Healing: A Practical A-to-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food Supplements
  • Inspiration: Your Ultimate Calling
Louise Hay was born to a poor mother who married Hay's violent stepfather. When she was about five, she was raped by a neighbor. At fifteen she dropped out of high school without a diploma, became pregnant, and on her sixteenth birthday gave up her newborn baby girl for adoption.

She moved to Chicago, where she worked in menial jobs, before moving in 1950 to New York. At this point she changed her...more
More about Louise L. Hay...
You Can Heal Your Life The Power Is Within You I Can Do It You Can Create An Exceptional Life Meditations to Heal Your Life