Start by marking “$10,000 in Small, Unmarked Puzzles: A Puzzle Lady Mystery” as Want to Read:
$10,000 in Small, Unmarked Puzzles: A Puzzle Lady Mystery

$10,000 in Small, Unmarked Puzzles: A Puzzle Lady Mystery (Puzzle Lady #13)

"Groucho Marx meets Jessica Fletcher!"--RT Book Reviews

When young attorney Becky Baldwin hires Cora Felton to make a blackmail payment drop, it couldn't go worse: she stumbles over a corpse and a puzzle, and someone steals the money. Becky
won't tell her who the client is, but the most likely suspect is Cora's least favorite ex-husband, Melvin, who claims he's being framed
Published January 31st 2012 by Minotaur Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about $10,000 in Small, Unmarked Puzzles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about $10,000 in Small, Unmarked Puzzles

Mo
Dec 03, 2014 Mo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Not Recommended
1 1/2 stars

I picked up this book “blind” after unexpectedly popping into the library while out with my sister. It sounded good from the book blurb, and I somehow thought it would be similar to a Murder Mystery Dinner game. I thought if I solved the puzzles, I could reason out the mystery. I was wrong on so many levels.

As soon as I started to read this novel, it felt like a series book to me. There were constant references to prior occurrences, and it seemed the assumption had been made that I k
Kimberly Ann
Pfffffffffft!

Cora is asked by her on-off again attorney, Becky Baldwin, to deliver a $10,000 blackmail payment. When Cora gets to the dumpster, there is a dead body with a cross-word-puzzle and sudoku. Instead of making the drop, Cora hides the money...but when she & Becky go back for the hidden money, it is gone.

Becky is hiding something, part of which turns out to be on of Cora's most obnoxious ex-husbands, Melvin..... However, he's not the one being blackmailed, Melvin is being threatened
Debbie Heaton
Mar 21, 2014 Debbie Heaton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Hall’s mystery novel, Cora Felton is an amateur sleuth who loves to help her local police department solve crimes involving crossword puzzles. While “The Puzzle Lady” waits for her new baby grand-niece, her lawyer, Becky, asks her to drop off a blackmail payment unaware that the request would lead Cora straight to a corpse—plus two puzzles that lead directly to her ex-husband. Cora doubts Melvin is capable of murder but with each clue, the finger is pointed in his direction. Forced to choose, ...more
Vicki Gooding
Jun 24, 2014 Vicki Gooding rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In some ways, the book is not really very realistic at all, but enjoyable. This may be #13, but is the first I've read. The Puzzle lady is an amateur sleuth who enjoys sudoku, but is normally called on for help when crossword puzzles are involved as well. A friend of hers who is an attorney asks her to drop off a blackmail payment. Thus begins an incredible story involving dead corpses wherever she shows up, a mysterious client, an ex-husband discovered talking with her trusted friend, and some ...more
James
Oct 05, 2012 James rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Cora Felton, the Puzzle Lady, is in a tizzy. As the book opens, Cora is driving her niece, Sherry, to the local hospital where she will have her first child, a girl. Before Sherry can have the baby, the town’s attorney, Becky Baldwin, hires Cora to make a blackmail payment drop, but she will not tell Cora anything about the blackmail. In making the blackmail drop, she stumbles over a corpse and a puzzle, and someone steals the money. When she attempts to make a second blackmail drop at a local c ...more
Ellen
May 24, 2012 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-cozy, parnell
(8)
That cantankerous puzzle lady, Cora!, May 24, 2012
By Ellen Rappaport (Florida)
This review is from: $10,000 in Small, Unmarked Puzzles: A Puzzle Lady Mystery (Puzzle Lady Mysteries) (Hardcover)
I was waiting for my chance to get this latest installment of the Puzzle Lady series. I've read all of them and will continue to because of the fun and the zinger endings. This was no exception.

Cora is off to a riotous start as she drives pell mell to the hospital and why? ...Sherry, Cora's niece,
Nancy
Feb 26, 2012 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe I am getting tired of this series, but this one didn't seem as good as the others. A bit frazzled... would be my description.

"Groucho Marx meets Jessica Fletcher!"--RT Book Reviews When young attorney Becky Baldwin hires Cora Felton to make a blackmail payment drop, it couldn’t go worse: she stumbles over a corpse and a puzzle, and someone steals the money. Becky
won’t tell her who the client is, but the most likely suspect is Cora’s least favorite ex-husband, Melvin, who claims he’s being
Steve
The Cora Felton series continues. There weren't many new characters in this book so you knew the "who-done-it" would be easy to figure out. Don't start the series with this book or else you would have no idea what is going on in the first 50 pages. On a side note, the puzzles themselves seemed much harder in this book than recent Puzzle Lady stories.
Cat
Aug 11, 2013 Cat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cora Felton is the Puzzle Lady, even though she has no clue how to create (or solve, for that matter) crossword puzzles. She's a whiz, though, at sudoku. Both types figure prominently in this crazy outing. At least three dead bodies, a new bsby (born a month premature), niece Sherry in the hospital, nephew Aaron on somebody's hit list, as is ex-husband Melvin Crabtree, who's trying desperatly diligently to get a date with his lawyer, Cora's friend Becky Baldwin, who is also Cora's lawyer and par ...more
Diane Heath
Apr 22, 2014 Diane Heath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Sherry is in hospital having her baby. Cora is hired by Becky to deliver a blackmail payment. Cora finds a dead body in a dumpster. Someone steals the blackmail payment and when Cora goes to deliver the payment a second time, she finds a second body. Just another day in the life of the Puzzle Lady. Who is being blackmailed? Who is killing people?
Cynthia K
Jul 14, 2012 Cynthia K rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like when I can jump into a series without feeling lost. Sure, I think it would be best to start at the beginning of the Puzzle Lady series. Cora is certainly a feisty character. I can't wait to go back to book one and meet her there.
Hall obviously loves words and wordplay, and he includes crossword puzzles and sudoku into the plot of this book. I'm guessing he does the same in the earlier books. Since I borrowed my copy from the library, I couldn't try to solve the puzzles, so I'm glad the s
John
Mar 21, 2016 John rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A good who done it but not great. Never really got into the characters or the plot.
Lynn Lerch
Jan 27, 2014 Lynn Lerch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cora Felton is asked by Becky Baldwin to do a mysterious money drop.Cora ends up finding a dead body instead. The fun starts there. A rousing taie.
Jean
ok, butothers in the series are better.
Kathy
Sherry is finally having her baby, but it is premature, and Cora Felton, the famous Puzzle Lady (and Sherry's aunt), is distracted because local lawyer, Becky Baldwin, needs her to deliver a packet of ransom money. Of course there's a dead body. Of course there are puzzles attached. And the case is only complicated by the appearance of one of Cora's many exes. As Abbot and Costello would say, "Who's on first?" And if you enjoy that kind of double talk dialog, you don't want to miss this one. Cor ...more
Jason
Mar 18, 2014 Jason rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun romp with the ever frazzling Puzzle Lady. DOn't be fooled by her speedy double talk-if you mess with her family you are screwed!
Jessica
It just keeps on getting better.
Susan
Cora Felton, the Puzzle Lady who can't really solve puzzles, is waiting for the birth of her new grandniece when local lawyer Becky Baldwin demands her help. Becky wants Cora to deliver a blackmail payment for an unnamed client, but Cora finds more than a deserted gas station when she gets to the drop-off point. Cora can't tell the local police anything, because she doesn't know anything, but everything goes really wrong when Cora's most disliked ex-husband shows up in town.
Meredith
Nov 06, 2012 Meredith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book very much. The witty dialogue was a wonderful surprise. the only thing is I need to read this series from the beg. so that I can understand the relationships between the characters. He has a way of surprsing you with his writing style-- so I had to keep re-reading just to make sure I didn't miss anything. Will be reading the series in time!

Puzzles and suduko were hard-- I couldn't actually solve them.
Kathy Duffy
Lighted hearted, a fun read. I adore Cora the main character and her eccentricities, look forward to another in the series, it's like visiting with friends.
PWRL
Jan 28, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
A
Earl
Mar 01, 2012 Earl rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Unlucky 13? I've been reading Parnell Hall's Puzzle Lady series for years now. They're always fun and quick. I love crosswords and tolerate Sudoku. And the books are full of witty dialogue. "$10,000 in Small, Unmarked Puzzles" for some reason didn't appeal to me. The characters were unlikable. The plot, predictable. I'm hesitant to say the series is getting stale but it needs more interesting and original premises.
Harvey

Cora Felton, the Puzzle Lady, can be clever, witty, and exasperating. Hall has proven to be a master of wordplay humor throughout his career. (I especially am a fan of his Stanley Hastings series).

In this one the plot lines are muddy, the puzzles are not well connected to the story, and not much is accomplished. Maybe I'm just getting tired of this formula (or maybe author Hall is).
Mark Baker
Mar 01, 2014 Mark Baker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012, mystery
Cora is asked to make the drop for a blackmail payment. But instead of an empty dumpster, she finds a dead body seconds before the police show up. As always the story is very funny, but it also had the usual too quick wrap up.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Vicki
Jan 15, 2014 Vicki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Good book and series. I just wish it wasn't all over the place hard to follow at times.
Shesani
not one of my favorites of this series, but it was still a fun read.
Leslie
Aug 03, 2012 Leslie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up because I loved puzzles, but it didn't do it for me. Maybe it would have helped if I knew the characters. But I didn't. And they seemed to think that their dialogue was very witty. And it wasn't. Don't think I'll follow up on this series.
Jan
Apr 14, 2012 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the better Puzzle Lady books. Enjoyed it much more than the last several before it. Still somewhat predictable but the "Who's on First" type of dialogue between Cora and and others is amusing and the puzzles are fun.
Brenda Sharp
Jul 08, 2016 Brenda Sharp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved that Cora's ex, Melvin was in trouble. He is such a terrible person and I love how Cora just does a complete freak out and is not herself whenever he is near. I thought that portrayal of how ex's behave was hilarious.
Mark Levine
This series is light-hearted fun.The author The puns and escapist concept disappears.changes the character of the protagonist into a nasty piece of work.Now its just another story line.
  • The White House Murder (Eleanor Roosevelt, #4)
  • A Bat in the Belfry (Home Repair Is Homicide, #16)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Turns the Tide (Mrs. Jeffries, #31)
  • Murder Unleashed (Mags Rogers, #2)
  • The Accidental Florist (Jane Jeffry, #16)
  • Postcards from the Dead (A Scrapbooking Mystery, #10)
  • Secret Circles (Young Repairman Jack, #2)
  • Gem of a Ghost (A Ghost of Granny Apples Mystery, #3)
  • Death On The Diagonal (Crossword Mysteries, #12)
  • The Baxter Trust (Steve Winslow, #1)
  • Schemers (Nameless Detective, #33)
  • Life Force
  • Short & Tall Tales: Moose County Legends Collected By James Mackintosh Qwilleran
  • Just One More Hug (For Better or For Worse, #4)
  • Vineyard Deceit (Martha's Vineyard Mystery #3)
  • Extra Credit (A Murder 101 Mystery, #7)

Puzzle Lady (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • A Clue for the Puzzle Lady (Puzzle Lady, #1)
  • Last Puzzle and Testament (Puzzle Lady, #2)
  • Puzzled to Death (Puzzle Lady, #3)
  • A Puzzle in a Pear Tree (Puzzle Lady, #4)
  • With This Puzzle, I Thee Kill (Puzzle Lady, #5)
  • And a Puzzle to Die On (Puzzle Lady, #6)
  • Stalking the Puzzle Lady (Puzzle Lady, #7)
  • You Have the Right to Remain Puzzled (Puzzle Lady, #8)
  • The Sudoku Puzzle Murders (Puzzle Lady, #9)
  • Dead Man's Puzzle (Puzzle Lady, #10)