The Painted Garden

The Painted Garden (Shoes #6)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  760 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Life is tough for the Winter family in London, with little money and Dad out of work. Luckily Aunt Cora comes to the rescue with an invitation to live in California. From that moment on, talented Rachel and Tim dream of stardom in America. The family couldn't be more surprised when a movie producer picks plain peevish Jane for the lead part of Mary in The Secret Garden. No...more
Published 1961 by Puffin (first published 1949)

Katy Noyes
This is one of those books that you need to read as a child to experience what the author intends.

I am sure I'd have loved it if I'd read it at 10. A family in need of money given the chance to travel to Los Angeles, away from rationing and towards adventures in dancing, radio and Hollywood. It's wish-fulfilment at its peak.

Eldest child Rachel wants to be a dancer, and meets Posy Fossil from previous book Ballet Shoes (to the delight of readers I would guess). Youngest Tim is talented on the pi...more
Kirstin
Better known as Movie Shoes, this story follows the three Winter children from their London home to the shores of Santa Monica in order for their father to recuperate from a nervous breakdown in the warm climate of his sister’s home. Like in Ballet Shoes (a favorite of mine as a girl), the youngest and the eldest children hold the recognizable talent and looks in the family and the middle child is prickly and difficult.

The story opens with Tim, Jane, and Rachel eavesdropping on the doctor’s conv...more
Debbie
In this story, the Winter family moves from England to the US for six months so that the father can recover from an accident in the nice southern California weather. Coming from war-ravaged London where food is still rationed even though the war (WWII) has been over for a couple of years, the Winters bask in the sunshine and the unlimited fruit and butter.

The eldest child, Rachel, is a ballet dancer (at Madame Fidolia's school, of course), and the youngest, Tim, is a talented pianist. Jane, the...more
Susann
During the summer I was eight, I chose this for the plane ride to my grandparents'. And even though we went to the library at least twice a week, I read it over and over again. Not only does Streatfeild give the perfect shout-out to The Secret Garden, she brings back the Fossils! I still get excited when Rachel has lunch with Posy and Pauline.

Aunt Cora is one of my favorite Streatfeild characters. She's so selfish and whiny, and her type doesn't really appear in any of the other Shoes books.

I d...more
Mollie  (Bookdictive Reviews)
I've read this book so many times, the cover has fallen off, and the pages are yellowed from being outdoors and traveling across England when I was in elementary school. But it's fantastic. It's a brilliant portrayal of life for young children in England during the war coming to California, and then trying to adapt. Noel Streatfeild is a wonderful storyteller, and The Painted Garden is, in my opinion, her best. It's the perfect step back in time.

I had to buy this in London, at a book shop that o...more
Jasmine
Reading the British version, The Painted Garden, which has some significant differences from Movie Shoes.

So the major things cut out, from what I could see, were more detail about America and some key stuff about Bella the black servant and the Antonios. The dialogue for them was VERY stereotyped, and there were a few things about Aunt Cora not wanting the Antonios around her that I don't remember from Movie Shoes.

It's funny to me that I love Jane so much in this book, since Rachel is the baller...more
Geranium Cat
Prefer the original title, The Painted Garden...
Deena
I wanted to love this one more than I did, since it is partly about the making of a movie version of The Secret garden. However, it is a victim of Streatfeild's writing - the principle child in the story is such a wretched little brat (and there doesn't seem to be an epiphany parallel to Mary's) that it makes this one less fun to reread than some of her others. That being said, I was still glad I read it.
Sue
A typical Streatfeild family feature in this book: a gifted ballet dancer, a talented musician, and an irritable un-artistic middle child. The family have the chance to spend the winter with a relative in California, and the middle child gets a chance to shine. Family dynamics push this book forward; a lovely gentle read with humour and moving moments.
Preeta
Jun 11, 2007 Preeta rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who read and liked The Secret Garden
A fabulous companion-of-sorts to The Secret Garden -- about a grumpy, awkward middle child named Jane Winter who ends up starring in a film version of it. It's interesting to consider them side-by-side to see how dramatically children's literature changed in a relatively short period of time (and for the record, I also love The Secret Garden!).
shallowwater
Jul 07, 2010 shallowwater marked it as to-read
Shelves: own, fiction
bought for Mom on ebay, $3.38+shipping. Also, this is not the correct edition.

Title: The Painted Garden: A Story of a Holiday in Hollywood (Puffin Books)
Author: Noel Streatfield
SKU No: W3-L1-R072A-04915
Iris
Jan 24, 2012 Iris rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Iris by: Marineke Thissen
It was recommended to me by Goodreads as Movie shoes, then Marineke recommended this as a book by the same author, but it´s the same book! So now I want to read all the other `shoe` books as well. I think this is the series Meg Ryan is explaining about at the Fox bookstore in ´You´ve got mail`?
Linden
This one is somewhat odd, with a rather unlikable child (Jane) who is described as "black doggish" countless times. A strange family dynamic, with mother's friend living with the family. Describes the making of the film "The Secret Garden." A little different, but enjoyable.
Maureen E
I definitely have a Streatfeild addiction. Okay, maybe it’s more like nostalgic love. I like Movie Shoes because the plot gets varied a bit and because it contains what I choose to interpret as a veiled jab at the butchering of stories in movie adaptations. [Nov. 2008]
Susan
When I was a child, I never really thought about how strange it was that Bee's school friend moved in to help her raise her family. Now that I'm an adult and have read Savage Love a time or two, it seems kind of polyamorous.
Neyly
I liked it and probably would have loved it had I read it - or other books in the series - as a child. My rating falls somewhere between three and four stars. (I like to think I'll find the time to read Ballet Shoes soon.)
Rachel
About how an untalented middle child with talented siblings gets to unexpectedly star in a movie,but despite having jealousy about never being the important one in the family,she doesn't really enjoy acting.
Once again a rags to riches story. This one left me extremely envious as I often fantasized about a Hollywood producer one day discovering me and casting me on the spot. I've yet to see my name in lights.
Kel
Yes, I did re-read all of these in one stretch. Streatfield catches the feel for post-war America and Hollywood fairly well. I don't think she would recognize Santa Monica in 2009.
Angela Mcentee
read all of the Shoes books but this was my favorite. the movie in the book was The Secret Garden, and I loved that book too. fascinated to hear about the behind the scenes stuff.
Clarissa
I am enjoying Noel Streatfeild's books more now than I did when I was a child. I could not relate to her type A career driven children when I was young.

Abigail Williams
This book is very good, plus one of the most deformed books in my library. Noel Streatfield is a writer I would recommend!
Tina
An enchanting tale for anyone who dreams of being plucked from obscurity. Recommended for theatricals of 8 to 80.
Kate
The only Streatfeild I didn't like. Could not warm up to the children in this story at all.
Heidi
This book definitely fueled my imagination -- and made me want to be in movies -- when I was young.
Jill
Another fun kid's book by Noel Streatfeild, in the tradition of "Ballet Shoes."
Maryanne Dipasquale
This one is my favorite of the shoes books. You have to read the Secret Garden first.
Laura Quilter
The painted garden : the story of a holiday in Hollywood by Noel Streatfeild (1949)
Elisa Clawson
The copy I own is actually the British version called The Painted Garden
Sally
Loved it of course, but was also easily annoyed by it - Jane was such a brat!
  • All-of-a-Kind Family Downtown (All-of-a-Kind Family, #2)
  • The Four-Story Mistake (The Melendy Family, #2)
  • Thursday's Children
  • The Family from One End Street: And Some of Their Adventures
  • A Dream of Sadler's Wells (Sadler's Wells, #1)
  • Ballet for Drina (Drina, #1)
  • Linnets and Valerians
  • The Chalet Girls in Camp (The Chalet School, #8)
  • A Very Young Dancer
  • First Term at Trebizon (Trebizon, #1)
  • A Traveller In Time
  • Black Hearts in Battersea (The Wolves Chronicles, #2)
  • The Story of the Treasure Seekers (Bastable Children, #1)
Mary Noel Streatfeild, known as Noel Streatfeild, is an author, best known and loved for her children's books including Ballet Shoes and Circus Shoes. She was born on Christmas Eve, 1895, the daughter of William Champion Streatfeild and Janet Venn and the second of six children to be born to the couple. Sister Ruth was the oldest, after Noel came Barbara, William ('Bill'), Joyce (who died of TB pr...more
More about Noel Streatfeild...
Ballet Shoes (Shoes, #1) Dancing Shoes (Shoes, #9) Theater Shoes (Shoes, #4) Skating Shoes (Shoes, #7) Thursday's Child