Start by marking “Apple Bough” as Want to Read:
Apple Bough

Apple Bough (Shoes #11)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  370 ratings  ·  21 reviews
The Forums (David and Polly, and the children Myra, Sebastian, Wolfgang and Ethel) live in a house called Apple Bough, and are a very musical family. David is a pianist, and considered one of the best accompanists in the country. Polly had been training to be a professional singer before her marriage: after her marriage she gave up training, and became an artist.

All of the
Published March 6th 2000 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Apple Bough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Apple Bough

Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareThe Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer
Books You Will Want To Keep Re-Reading
121st out of 198 books — 122 voters
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeMy Lady Love by Bridgitte LesleyThe Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer
Uplifting Fiction
128th out of 190 books — 156 voters

More lists with this book...

I loved this so much. So so so much! It's now my 2nd-favorite Noel Streatfeild book, very closely following Ballet Shoes - which says a LOT, since Ballet Shoes is one of my favorite books in the world! Oh wow, was Noel Streatfeild an amazing writer.

(I read this book, btw, under its original title, APPLE BOUGH, in the lovely 2nd-hand edition I was given for Christmas - but I think that, at least in America, it was retitled TRAVELING SHOES, if you're having trouble finding it under the title APPLE
lucy by the sea
This story doesn't really have any plot and of course you know everything will turn out okay cos this is a Noel Streatfeild novel, but still wanted to read to the end. I love the family in this book and I want to be them with all their love, talents and privilages. I want there confidence, their looks, their staff. These books are like comfort food to me, especially the descriptions of their comfort foods. I want to come home from a hard day of being the best at everything and be fed a 'tea' wit ...more

5/13/2012 update: Goodreads now has a book cover available!

It is just so sad that Noel Streatfeild's books are hard to find: to purchase or to borrow at the library. Notice the book cover for this book isn't even available on Goodreads. Such a shame!

If you have read and enjoyed Ballet Shoes or Theater Shoes (and you can get your hands on a copy of this book) I am pretty sure you'll like this one just as much. Noel sticks to the same plot and character ideas in all her books.

This time around it
Now that I think about it, The Penderwicks in Spring has a storyline that feels like an outgrowth of part of Traveling Shoes. This is not a good book, by the way. But it's got some moments that do ring true.
Dec 02, 2010 Carolynne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: CLM
The gifted Forum children--Myra, Sebastian, Wolfgang and Ettie--to their clueless parents' surprise are weary of traveling around accompanying violinist Sebastian, and finally find a home of their own. Myra is the most appealing character: she doesn't think she has any gifts, but she's the glue that holds the family together. Also known as _Traveling Shoes_. Fans of Hilary McKay's stories about the Casson family (beginning with _Saffy's Angel_) will like this.
Hannah  Messler
I found this on accident on the 48 cent carts when I was picking some books to mail to Mom, and then when I was in Florida she leant it to me and it was fanTASTic!
This is another Streatfeild that I reread regularly. One day I will have to track down a hard cover edition, as my pb is failing.
I was a big fan of this book as a child. The descriptions of the garden at Apple Bough and visiting the grandparents in Devon were so vivid it almost felt as if I was there. I thought the "there's no place like home" sentiment was beautifully done, especially as they travelled all over the world but always longed for Apple Bough.
I liked how each child had their own individual talent and that their parents encouraged their dreams, and I loved the happy ending, the way that you were expecting it t
Possibly my all time favourite children's book. I've never connected with a character as much as I have Myra who felt the same longing for a settled family home as I did (my father was in the army so we were constantly moving) The book still means a huge amount to me but I can't decide whether or not I wish more people had read it - part of me likes feeling like it's this wonderful secret!
Not one of my most favorites--everyone seems to whine a lot, Wolfgang is one of her more insufferable characters, Ethel is just a copy of Posy Fossil, Sebastian is "sensitive" (and suffers from "exhaustion"), and Myra is too good to be true.
And of course as usual the servants are much more sensible and responsible than the parents. Oh, and those hilarious foreigners! They just get so overemotional!
Still, it's never dull, and before you know it you've read the whole thing in one go.
A typical Streatfeild family, with a highly gifted 12-year-old violinist, have been travelling around the world for a couple of years. However the other children long for a permanent home.

A lovely nostalgic book of family values with some humour and several very moving sections. Recommended for anyone of about eight or over, including adults.
The American title, 'Traveling Shoes', makes a lot of sense here (as opposed to just being a desperate attempt to give it a 'Shoe' title!). Quite liked this one, though I wasn't as keen on any of the kids, really. Except perhaps one of the girls.
I wasn't sure I would like this book as well as "Theatre Shoes" but I did and do. Similar themes in her books, but this one was very satisfying to me by the end.
This is one of my favourite books from my childhood. I just love the story and how she portrays the different personalities of the children.
Although I liked all of the books in this series I will admit there was some comfort in their formulaic set-up and nice, neat endings.
Starting reading on Thursday, finished today. Written in a fairly simple style but a pleasure nonetheless.
Meghan Krogh
The end to this one made me feel all warm and rosy and bubbling inside.
I read this under the title Apple Bough. one of her best.
Laura Daly
My favorite childhood (age 7) book a wonderful story.
Might be my favorite one so far.....
Jul 23, 2011 Anna is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
It's good so far.
Athenesc marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2015
Grey marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2015
Anusha Ramachandran
Anusha Ramachandran marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Heleen added it
Oct 03, 2015
Anna marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Renee Silvey
Renee Silvey marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Vanessa marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
  • New Treasure Seekers (Bastable Children, #3)
  • Harry Cat's Pet Puppy
  • The House on the Cliff
  • Henry Reed's Babysitting Service
  • Ballet for Drina (Drina, #1)
  • Veronica at the Wells (Sadler's Wells, #2)
  • The Family from One End Street: And Some of Their Adventures
  • Mother Carey's Chickens
  • Then There Were Five (The Melendy Family, #3)
  • A Garland for Girls
  • The Picts & the Martyrs or Not Welcome at All (Swallows and Amazons, #11)
  • The Chalet School and the Lintons (The Chalet School, #10)
  • Flambards Divided (Flambards, #4)
Mary Noel Streatfeild, known as Noel Streatfeild, was an author best known and loved for her children's books, including Ballet Shoes and Circus Shoes. She was born on Christmas Eve, 1895, the daughter of William Champion Streatfeild and Janet Venn and the second of six children to be born to the couple. Sister Ruth was the oldest, after Noel came Barbara, William ('Bill'), Joyce (who died of TB p ...more
More about Noel Streatfeild...

Shoes (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Ballet Shoes (Shoes, #1)
  • Tennis Shoes (Shoes, #2)
  • Circus Shoes (Shoes, #3)
  • Theater Shoes (Shoes, #4)
  • Party Shoes (Shoes, #5)
  • Movie Shoes (Shoes, #6)
  • Skating Shoes (Shoes, #7)
  • Family Shoes (Shoes, #8)
  • Dancing Shoes (Shoes, #9)
  • New Shoes (Shoes, #10)
Ballet Shoes (Shoes, #1) Theater Shoes (Shoes, #4) Dancing Shoes (Shoes, #9) Skating Shoes (Shoes, #7) Movie Shoes (Shoes, #6)