Start by marking “The Lewis Man (The Lewis Trilogy, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Lewis Man (The Lewis Trilogy, #2)

The Lewis Man (Lewis Trilogy #2)

4.18  ·  Rating Details  ·  7,085 Ratings  ·  804 Reviews
A body is recovered from a peat bog on the Isle of Lewis. The male Caucasian corpse is initially believed by its finders to be over 2000 years old, until they spot the Elvis tattoo on his right arm. The body, it transpires, is not evidence of an ancient ritual killing, but of a murder committed during the latter half of the 20th century.
Published January 5th 2012 by Quercus (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Lewis Man, please sign up.

Magdalena
A body is found in the peat bog on the isle of Lewis. The only clue to the body's identity is that he was related to a local farmer. But the local farmer Tormed Macdonald is a man with dementia and he has always claimed to be the only child.

It strange that the hardest reviews to write are actually for the books that I love. It's sometimes so hard to put into words how great a book is that I just want to say read it and you will see why it is so good.

The Lewis Man is such a book, just like the fi
Kathy
I'm not sure that I can do a proper review right away because the last book in the Lewis Trilogy is tapping its foot at me while I type. Any review of a book in this series must begin with the fact that Peter May is one of the most masterful storytellers writing today. His artistry with words is akin to listening to a symphonic performance of music that plays light and dark, loud and soft to a stunning consistency of perfection. The setting on the Isle of Lewis in Scotland is brought to life wit ...more
Stephen
May 14, 2013 Stephen rated it it was amazing
Not often that you find a sequel that is even better than the original but this is one of them. Like the first book, this was two stories (one in the past, one in the present) that came together for a very clever ending. Enjoyed the book more for seeing the development of the characters from the first book but it could easily be read as a standalone novel.

A must read for anyone interested in the Scottish Highlands/Islands and also I found the scenes in my home town of Edinburgh very interesting
Harry
Book Review

Second in The Lewis Trilogy, Peter May once again invites his readers to explore the islands known as the Hebrides, off Scottland. The story continues with Fin MacLeod's fascinating story. We got to know Fin in May's spectacular first in the trilogy: The Blackhouse as he once again returns to Lewis Island in search of his Gaelic roots. You can find my review of that novel here.

I've become a huge fan of Peter May's work in this trilogy for several reasons. First: I find his study of th
Maria
Aug 10, 2015 Maria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, leituras-2015
Toda essa relação entre o passado e o presente é que faz com o Um Homem Sem Passado seja um livro altamente viciante e envolvente. Neste segundo livro da trilogia conhecemos melhor Fin e as personagens que o rodeiam, deixando um pouco o lado mais obscuro pela qual foram retratadas no primeiro livro.

Aguardo ansiosamente que a Marcador publique o último livro da trilogia.
Opinião completa: http://marcadordelivros.blogspot.pt/2...
Christine
Dec 10, 2015 Christine rated it it was amazing
This is the second part of the Lewis Trilogy and once again we are back in Scotland, with Fin Macleod.

A body is found in a Lewis peat bog, well preserved and linked genetically to a local man. The man is Tormod Macdonald, a relative of Fin’s ex-girlfriend. Tormod is suffering from dementia and is not able to help identifying the body. His mind is confused. Fin is no longer in the police force and has come back to stay on the island. George Gunn, the local policeman, and Finn both try to identify
Sue
I wish that I had written the review for this book immediately on completing it, when I was still caught up in the rush attendant to finishing a book I've truly enjoyed. But I will try to do it justice now. The Lewis Man is the second of The Lewis Trilogy, coming after The Blackhouse which I enjoyed last year. If you plan to read these novels, you should read them in order so as to get to know the people fully, how they are revealed to themselves and each other.

This book is so much more than a m
Maggie James
Mar 28, 2014 Maggie James rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime
The Lewis Man is an excellent read. It's a murder mystery, based around solving the murder of a young man found buried in a peat bog on one of the Outer Hebridean islands. The only clue to the identity of the corpse is a DNA sibling match to a local farmer, an elderly man suffering from dementia. A man who has always claimed to be an only child.

The novel is narrated through third person chapters and first person ones told from the POV of the dementia sufferer, Tormod MacDonald. These chapters a
Joanne Sheppard
Sep 18, 2012 Joanne Sheppard rated it really liked it
Around a year ago I reviewed a crime novel set on the Isle of Lewis: The Blackhouse by Peter May. I had a few fairly strong criticisms of it, but was sufficiently intrigued to give The Lewis Man, its sequel, a try.

I'm delighted to report that The Lewis Man struck me as a much better book than The Blackhouse, both for its plot and its characters, many of whom featured in The Blackhouse but are more solidly portrayed here. My other gripe about The Blackhouse was that things seemed to progress unna
Mark
Aug 30, 2015 Mark rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of the better histroical thrillers
Recommended to Mark by: previous books and magdalena from GR
A body is found in a peat bog on the Isle of Lewis. Former policeman Finlay Macleod has returned to the Isle to pick up the pieces of the rest of his life. He finds that being a grandfather and finding out who the grandfather of his son really is.
Another well researched Island novel that tells the thriller about the identity of a orphan and the historical cruel treatment of orphans in the 20th century by religious organisations driven by the various faiths. And the impact these orphans had on th
David
Feb 12, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
This was a real discovery - never mind that I inadvertently started with the second book of a trilogy! The pace is measured very nicely leading to an intense climax, backed all the while by the author's ability to paint the wildness and beauty of the islands. I've just downloaded Number 3 in the trilogy ready for the train trip down to Rennes tomorrow on the TGV. Can't wait.

It met expectations. Must see what else he has written.
Mal Warwick
May 08, 2015 Mal Warwick rated it really liked it
The brooding landscape pictured on the cover of this off-beat detective novel sets the stage for the complex tale within, suggesting the depth of the multidimensional characters whose lives today intersect around a tragic event half a century ago.

Fin McLeod has returned again to the Isle of Lewis, the northernmost of the Outer Hebrides Islands off the northwestern coast of Scotland. In The Blackhouse, the first novel in the Lewis Trilogy, McLeod had returned from Edinburgh to the site of his chi
Mary Gilligan-Nolan
Aug 01, 2012 Mary Gilligan-Nolan rated it really liked it
Great second book in this trilogy. I'm looking forward to the third one, although I will have to wait until sometime in 2013. This one focuses on a body found in a bog, preserved quite well, as they usually are and to comes as a surprise to find, that the body has only been there about 50 years. Fin McLeod has resigned from the police force and has divorced from his wife and moved back to the Island. When DNA samples are checked from the body, it turns out that the body is related to Marsailis f ...more
Julian King
Jul 11, 2013 Julian King rated it it was amazing
Much more than run-of-the-mill 'tartan noir' pulp fiction, this is certainly page-turning, unputdownable, plot-driven etc., but, more than all that, it is also a novel of real sensitivity and subtlety.

The landscape of the western isles is evoked with love, and their geography, physical and psychological, more integral to characters and action than the usual bolt-on pathetic fallacy stuff we find so often elsewhere.

The central character, Fin Macleod, lives for the reader, a hard yet sympathetic e
Jeanette
Dec 24, 2014 Jeanette rated it liked it
I stretched to give this a three. It's just not for me, these Peter May Lewis. The plots are decent, but I find the characters off-putting, and that's saying it nicely.

There is vitriol of left-overs constantly flung at religious belief and especially upon organized religion on Isle of Lewis. The characters are beyond flawed and envy, within constant morose mood, revenge and abuse all have strong parts in both of the Lewis trilogy I have read. The women characters, apart from an emotion or two,
Susan Johnson
Mar 28, 2015 Susan Johnson rated it it was amazing
Peter May creates a wonderful sense of place and a well-thought out mystery. I thought I knew what happened and was a little smug about it but I was so wrong. I can't wait to read the third book in the wonderful trilogy.
Judith Lewis
Oct 22, 2012 Judith Lewis rated it liked it
I listened to this as an audiobook. As with the previous book in the series [The Black House], it is a good story and the setting in the Outer Hebrides is authentic and atmospheric. It is clearly also well-researched. And at least some of the peripheral characters are real people! The story centres around an elderly man, Tormod, who has dementia and it dips in and out of his internal memories, which are lucid, and his present, in which he is perplexed. There is a mystery about his past and his i ...more
Dick Reynolds
Jun 16, 2013 Dick Reynolds rated it really liked it
When an unidentified male corpse is recovered from a peat bog on the Isle of Lewis, the only clue to its identify is a DNA sample linking him as a sibling to a local farmer who goes by the name Tormod Macdonald. But Tormod is an old man suffering from dementia and has always claimed to be an only child.
This second novel of the Lewis trilogy by Peter May brings back some familiar characters, notably detective Fin Macleod who has left the police force in Glasgow, Fin’s childhood sweetheart, Mars
Ruth
Jul 05, 2013 Ruth rated it really liked it
This is a great read. I was sucked into the narrative due to the strong and very well written prose. The scenic descriptions were so strong that I could almost 'see' the layout of Crobost, the desolation and beauty of the backdrops and the harbours. I was travelling in the car throughout the long journey to Harris and perched on a rock watching Fin struggle out of his tent and into his car in gale force winds.
The actual theme of the narrative is extremely emotional, encompassing the heart-rendi
C. Clark
Apr 20, 2014 C. Clark rated it it was amazing
I started this book just curious about the author, however, I quickly realized why the man is so well known and read. His prose and verbal creativity is awesome. I hated for the book to end, and the fact it was a mystery was icing on top. I'll be picking up all his other books since he's been added to one of my gotta-read authors now. Adored the POVs in this story and how he used them, and his setting descriptions were intriguing, beautiful, captivating.
Carolyn
Oct 19, 2015 Carolyn rated it really liked it
Fin MacLeod, has quit the Edinburgh police force and returns to the place of his childhood on the cold, rainy, windswept Isle of Lewis in the Hebrides. He intends to restore his parents' croft. He is still very troubled but seems to be developing into a better person.

The well preserved body of a young man has been discovered buried in a peat bog. At first, like some other bodies recovered from peat bogs it was thought to be thousands of years old. An autopsy finds that the young man was brutall
Ľuboš
4,5*
opäť raz skvelý príbeh
ale Skála sa mi páčila o niečo viac :)
Sónia
Há quem diga que, nalguns casos, o pior num livro é ter que chegar ao final. Chega-se ao final e fica-se com uma quase sensação de orfandade difícil de digerir. Foi isso que aqui aconteceu, apesar de ter lido críticas menos positivas a este livro e ao anterior (que ainda não li), A Casa Negra.

A escrita é super cativante e irrepreensível. A estória é, também, cativante e consistente, o que é um grande ponto a favor. Ali nada me remeteu para fantasia. "Aquilo" que li, de facto, poderia ter acontec
Lara Dearman
Dec 16, 2015 Lara Dearman rated it it was ok
Five weeks it's taken me to read this book. Partly because of an international move but also because it's slow and at times completely preposterous. Such a shame because I enjoyed the first one and I've already bought the third one (which I'm going to have to read because I'm not a quitter...) Basically, Fin is now living in a tent on Lewis with hopes of rekindling a romance with his childhood sweetheart (don't hold your breath) when a body is found preserved in the peat bog. Turns out DNA shows ...more
Lynn
Sep 03, 2015 Lynn rated it it was amazing
The Lewis Man is the second book in the Lewis Trilogy. The Isle of Lewis is located in the Outer Hebrides off the coast of Scotland. One of the best features of this trilogy is the location. It is very atmospheric. One can feel the biting winds and the rain.I could see the beach scenes with the sand and the ocean pounding in to the shore. I knew little about the location before I started this trilogy and now I wish I could visit the area.

So many have written a synopsis of the book that I am goin
Mar 23, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: crimepieces
The Lewis Man is the second book in the trilogy by Peter May set on the Isle of Lewis. After the excellent The Black House, I was looking forward to the return of Fin Macleod and the myriad of island characters encountered in the first book.

In The Lewis Man, Fin has left Edinburgh CID and is drawn back to the island of his childhood with plans to renovate his parents’ derelict croft. A body has recently been discovered in one of the island’s peat bogs and despite the belief that the corpse could
Vicky
Lewis Man is the second in Peter May's Lewis Trilogy series featuring Fin McLeod. This time Fin has left Edinburgh, his job as a police detective, and his crumbling marriage following the death of his young son, and returned home to the island of his birth first revisited in The Blackhouse. However, it also works well as a stand-alone story.

The body of a young man is found in a peat bog during the annual cutting, stabbed several times and throat slashed, but an Elvis tattoo on the corpse makes i
Inês Beato
Aug 19, 2015 Inês Beato rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-paper, 2015
Mais um livro completamente viciante de Peter May. Este segundo volume da trilogia foca-se mais nas pessoas que rodeiam Fin e temos oportunidade de conhecer o passado dramático do pai de Marsailli.
A forma de contar a história, saltando entre presente e passado, envolve mais o leitor em todos os momentos. Achei igualmente interessante a abordagem bastante crua que o autor faz da demência e do drama que esta doença acarreta não apenas para quem dela sofre mas também para todos os que a rodeiam.
Nigel
Nov 30, 2015 Nigel rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the first book in this trilogy well enough once I'd got the hang of the fact that it was not really a detective story at all. Because of that I got into this one immediately and for my money it is better than the first book.

The story again relates in some way to a crime however the story behind the crime is fascinating and gradually revealed. It is effectively written in two voices. That of Fin, the main character of the previous book and sometime policeman and the voice of an elderly
Siobhan
Sep 28, 2015 Siobhan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with the first in the series you will find yourself unable to put the book down, spending many hours at night delaying sleep to find out what happens next.

This time around we delve into the history of another character, a history that has come back to bite him through crime and dementia. Once again, the lovable Fin is on the case digging deeper to find the truth. As with the first book, it’s well written with plenty of research having gone into the book (so much so that you can easily imagine
  • Thin Air (Shetland Island, #6)
  • The Hanging Shed (Douglas Brodie, #1)
  • Long Way Home
  • Natural Causes (Inspector McLean, #1)
  • Far North (Fire & Ice, #2)
  • Saints of the Shadow Bible (Inspector Rebus, #19)
  • Laidlaw (Jack Laidlaw, #1)
  • Watching the Dark (Inspector Banks, #20)
  • A Dying Fall (Ruth Galloway, #5)
  • The Soul of Discretion (Simon Serrailler, #8)
  • Safe House
  • The Dark Winter (Aector McAvoy, #1)

Lewis Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Blackhouse (Lewis Trilogy, #1)
  • The Chessmen (Lewis Trilogy, #3)

“to come and go as they please. But this happened” 0 likes
“Getting old doesn’t make them any less valid, or any less real. And it’ll be us one day.” 0 likes