Start by marking “JQuery, Novice to Ninja” as Want to Read:
JQuery, Novice to Ninja

JQuery, Novice to Ninja

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  425 Ratings  ·  26 Reviews
jQuery: Novice to Ninja, 2nd Edition is the perfect book to jump-start your journey into jQuery. You’ll learn all the basics, so you’ll be able to truly appreciate the power of this JavaScript framework. Then you’ll move on to more advanced techniques, such as plugin development and the creation of almost every conceivable UI widget.

A practical, hands-on guide to using jQu
Paperback, Second Edition, 453 pages
Published February 23rd 2012 by SitePoint Pty. Ltd (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about JQuery, Novice to Ninja, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about JQuery, Novice to Ninja

Anthony Papillion
Jan 08, 2012 Anthony Papillion rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book last year when I finally decided to stop fighting progress and learn JQuery. Definitely a good, solid, introduction to the framework and got me up to speed very quickly. I wouldn't say it brought me to 'Ninja' level but it gave me a great JQuery foundation on which to build. Great book for someone with programming experience wanting to upgrade their skills with JQuery.
Arun Mahendrakar
This has been my first introduction to jQuery although I had some experience before. So this book gave me a pretty good overview on jQuery's capabilities. There's no way I can remember all the details given by the author just by one read, so I'm going to use it as a reference guide.

I was expecting a little more work/detail by the author on the chapter which talks about ajax/json calls. But it lays a foundation for the topic for the reader to build upon.
Davuth
Jun 02, 2015 Davuth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
are you new to jQuery? Then this book is strongly recommended. I really enjoyed reading this book. Despite that it's a programming book (which normally people suppose to be boring and geek-liked), the authors are really talent in making the reader enjoy the reading. I find it quite funny and relaxing!
Weslie Leung
Good for novice but I wouldn't say it would get you to ninja level.
Kat
Aug 31, 2015 Kat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Has some errors, of course. It's 2015!
Bruce
Jul 31, 2011 Bruce rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A guide to JQuery that does quite a bit of handholding. More experienced individuals will most likely skim it for ideas on what JQuery can do then keep it around for those times when you are could use an example or two on how to do something. The client conversation structure was a bit annoying. For me as someone who isn't a designer the book was "meh". A designer might find the pace much more suitable. I'll keep it around as a reference.
Henrik
Jun 16, 2010 Henrik rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: textbooks
It's a nice book although it's not quite to "ninja" ... more like to "basic level". I got almost everything explained in the book from just skimming through API docs and playing with jQuery for a day. This is probably not for very advanced developers ;-)
Jake McCrary
Jun 16, 2010 Jake McCrary rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tech
Book was a good introduction to jQuery. I found myself skimming at parts simply because I didn't care about some aspects that it was showing. If I had more experiance with web development I probably would have given this book a higher rating.
Todd
Mar 19, 2012 Todd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great starters book for jQuery. Wish I would have started with this one. It gets your hands dirty and hits the basics without going to deep into jQuery. I would start with this book and follow up with jQuery in action, 2nd edition.
Abbey
I heart jQuery! It makes Javascript accessible to masses of muddle-pated, middling-abled, middle-agers like me. I'll have to read several other tutorial/texts to understand it all, but this is a good intro.
Jansen
Aug 26, 2012 Jansen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: computers
Good fast read, but hard to go back through and find the exact examples I was looking for - index and table of contents are not good for later reference.
Jason
Aug 29, 2012 Jason rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lots of great info, a little out of date with some of the functions but that is par for the course when it comes to programming books.
Sam Moore
Could have been a little more concise - the chatty tone adds nothing but fluff - but altogether a useful quick intro to the jQuery world.
Matteo Tomasulo
Today jQuery is a fundamental part of web development.
I found this book complete, clear and rich of interesting real-world samples.
Harit Himanshu
Dec 09, 2012 Harit Himanshu rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: programming
As a novice, I was immediately benefited with the clear language and structure of the book, definitely recommended
Dgg32
Nov 12, 2011 Dgg32 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first ever web design book. Very funny language and it explains everything. A quick dive-in into the hit hot JQuery.
Henrique Smoco
Nov 05, 2013 Henrique Smoco rated it liked it
Bom para quem está começando com jQuery, mas a disposição do conteúdo dificulta a consulta posterior.
Ryan Parman
Already knowing jQuery, this didn't help much. It'd be a good book for beginners, though.
PBnJ
A decent intro to jQuery and how to execute some popular elements and effects.
Žiga Vukčevič
Very nice samples of working with jQuery.
Tung Dao
Not that Ninja but still useful.
Ezekiel
Nice reference book for this framework
Robert
Aug 15, 2012 Robert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good examples for common needs.
Serge Boucher
Good intro.
Miguel Arvelo
Miguel Arvelo rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Prateek Saraf
Prateek Saraf rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2016
Emmy
Emmy added it
Feb 09, 2016
joke
joke rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2016
  • High Performance JavaScript
  • Sexy Web Design
  • Designing With Web Standards

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »