Precinct 13

Precinct 13

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  691 ratings  ·  124 reviews
Recent college grad Alex Conner is thrilled to have landed a job as the Hughes County coroner/medical examiner in Pierre, South Dakota. But when her first day on the job ends with a missing corpse, Alex starts to wonder if she would have been better off collecting unemployment...

Published August 7th 2012 by Berkley Trade

FV Angela
Originally posted at: http://www.fictionvixen.com/guest-rev...

Precinct 13 is the first book in a new adult urban fantasy series by Tate Hallaway, according to the author's website, and categorized as Paranormal Romance by Berkely. I would say this book leans more urban fantasy than paranormal romance. As Tate Hallaway is a new to me author, I didn't know exactly what to expect, the blurb sounded interesting and I'm always open to anything in the urban fantasy and paranormal genres.

When we meet...more
Dark Faerie Tales
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Precinct 13 is funny, full of wit, and refreshing.

Opening Sentence: I never dreamed of being a coroner.

The Review:

I’m new to Tate Hallaway as an author, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. The cover is interesting with the many faded symbols all throughout the background. The blurb on the cover, under the title, says “The dead have tales to tell. And sometimes they just won’t shut up.” I knew I was going to enjoy this, and that Hallaway would t...more
Marisa
Aug 13, 2012 Marisa rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Brandy
Un libro muy, muy entretenido, con todos los tópicos de la magia pero de una manera muy "mundana", incluidos los prejuicios y la división entre buenos y malos en la comunidad mágica. Una investigación policíaca bastante decente, una protagonista bastante sensata y que no es "super-woman" y una escritura muy entretenida y divertida en algunos casos (en absoluto de risas, de sonrisa por detalles, que es lo que más me gusta).Espero que sea una serie y por los menos siga con otro libro, y sepamos al...more
Marsha
Aug 25, 2012 Marsha rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Adults
(2.5 Stars) When I first read the summary for "Precinct 13" it sounded like a book I could truly enjoy. The overall concept was intriguing and had such potential; unfortunately, the book proved to be a mediocre read for me.

Alex Conner's roommate Robert has bet her to run for office as coroner in Pierre, South Dakota. This is an elected office and the previous coroner was outsted for corruption. So, Alex places her name in the hat for the $60k a year job and actually wins the election. Her first...more
Michelle
Precinct 13 is a Paranormal Romance by Tate Hallaway from Berkley Trade.

Blurb:

Kristen
GENRE: Urban Fantasy
THEME: Zombies/Vampires/Werwolves/Fae
RECEIVED: Received for review from Penguin
BLOG: http://seeingnight.blogspot.com/

REVIEW:
Precinct 13 I found to be a huge bundle of fun and a great new urban fantasy series that includes every kind of paranormal being there is. I haven’t read anything by Tate Hallaway yet, but if this series continues I’m definitely going to get the next book. I loved the characters, humor and really interesting plot.

Precinct 13 follows Alex, who made a be...more
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
Precinct 13 is a nifty combination of urban fantasy and police procedural, quite a pleasant surprise for someone who adores both like I do. Running from her old life, Alex gets a job as Hughes County medical examiner and becomes even more involved in the very thing she fought so hard to run away from – anything and everything supernatural. On her new job, she is forced to work with Precinct 13, a special police division in charge of all paranormal crimes. Alex questions everything about this, es...more
Heather Book Savvy Babe
With a reluctant heroine, a colorful cast, and supernatural occurrences taking over, Precinct 13 is an paranormal read that urban fantasy readers will not want to miss.

Alex Connor has been convinced that something is wrong with her. She has always been able to “see things,” but after lots of therapy, medications, and moving to a small South Dakota town, Alex thought she could finally leave her past behind. She begins her new job as the coroner, and once she experiences her first case where the d...more
Bea
Teaser:

The bag dropped suddenly to the ground when the breeze shifted. There was something eerie about it, that was certain. But was it magic? Jack had told me that I'd been seeing magic my whole life, but had been told not to talk about it. In effect, I'd been trained not to see, not to believe.

The bag skittered along the ground. Like some kind of strange, urban animal, it scooted behind the corner of the building, out of sight.

I decided there was definitely something creepy and weird about...more
Candace
First of all, lets get the genre label cleared up. My copy of the book is labeled as a paranormal romance, but I can tell you that this reads much more like an urban fantasy. The one thing (for me) that differentiates the two is paranormal romance has sex. Well, more descriptions of it anyway. And while we know that there IS sex in the book we see none of it. For me that's a good thing, I like UF better than PNR. However, there is romance and I assure you, you'll do plenty of swooning! And this...more
Ornella (Nyx)
Ah, such a refreshing book. It had action, romance, a SMART MC, not like those ditzy Mc's you see so much, where they are supposed to be smart yet they miss the most obvious things. Plot actually moved along quite nicely, the only Duh! moment was what Valentine was, but she still knew she just didn't really want to accept it. I really liked how she got over he denial of magic in a timely fashion, she didn't spend most of the book whining about all her insecurities. But it wasn't like she was mag...more
Paranormal Haven
Alex Connor gets a job in a small town as a corner. She moved there after some trouble with her father and stepmother. It isn’t long before one of the bodies that is brought in gets up and walks away during an autopsy. Not knowing what else to do, she reports it and is pointed to Precinct 13. There she discovers that paranormal problems are very real, and she might be more of a part of them than she bargained for.

Precinct 13 is a mystery kind of Urban Fantasy. It stands out due to its dark humor...more
Dangerous Romance Book Reviews

When the cops made some cryptic comments about being careful with the body they brought in, Alex just thought the boys in blue were messing with her. That is, until something freaky happens that no amount of med school c
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

PRECINCT 13 is a funny medical examiner meets police procedural mash-up all wrapped up in an urban fantasy bow. Right from the start, Alex’s engaging voice draws readers into her world. She’s a little crazy in a Sookie Stackhouse sort of way due to the fact that she thought she was crazy her whole life. She’s always seen things that shouldn’t–couldn’t be real. Now in a new town, with a new job, away from a boyfriend who was ‘enabling’ her delusions, Ale...more
Book Binge Blog
Alex Conner is liking her new job as county coroner in Pierre, South Dakota but she's a bit more than bored. It's been 3 weeks and she's not had a body yet. When the cops do bring in a body she's told not break the rib cage while doing the autopsy which of course is impossible. Actually one of the cops mentions magic as well but since Alex has, as she puts it, a complicated relationship with magic she chooses to ignore the cop. As she's doing the autopsy not only is she attacked by a snake that...more
Beth Dawkins

Stacy
Alex is nominated to be the Hughes County Coroner on a dare. She hasn't had a crazy life so far so when her very first day on the job a corpse gets up and walks away she isn't quite sure how crazy she actually is.

Alex had a great personality and was fun to read about. There was a lot of times where Alex mentioned her past or a past event but they were only hinted at or slightly mentioned and it would have been nice to know the details of stuff that affected her so much. I felt like I missed a bo...more
Carien
Aug 24, 2012 Carien rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: uf
I will confess I pre-ordered this book ages ago after seeing the cover and reading the tagline: The dead have tales to tell. Sometimes they just won't shut up.

I had expected a very different story going by that tagline than the story that I got.

do I mind?

Absolutely not!

This is a very entertaining and enjoyable story. I liked Alex from the start and Hallaway does a great job in taking the reader along on Alex's road of discovery.

There are some really cool characters in this book. My favorite is...more
Dianne
Precinct 13 by Tate Halloway

College graduate Alex Conner, is looking for a new beginning to her life so she lands up with the coroners job in Pierre, South Dakota. After all she just got finished with accusing her step-mother of being a demon, and at the same time her boyfriend Valentine spends 18 months in jail for assaulting the step-mother (or step-monster) for again…being a demon. Now everyone thinks that Alex may be a little crazy. That is until she makes her move out to Pierre and things...more
Kt
Review originally posted on my blog: A Book Obsession..

Through a funny set of circumstances, Alex Conner finds herself in a new job as the Hughes County Coroner. Considering there hasn't been any murders in the area for over two years, Alex thinks she's in for an easy paycheck. But those ideals quickly go out the window when a corpse comes in with a cryptic warning about magic. With Alex's troubled past involving magic and the psychiatric ward, she thinks she's become the brunt of a nasty joke,...more
Rebecca
I am really loving urban fantasy at the moment and Precinct 13 was really good in satisfying my hunger for more urban fantasy.
I really liked the world in this book, it was our world but there were people who didn’t believe in magic and others who didn’t. Tate introduced a theory that could possibly explain how the magic works in that world and I thought that was quite interesting.
I really liked Alex, I thought she was pretty cool. I liked her friends/co-workers in the book too. Jack, Valentine,...more
OpenBookSociety.com
Brought to you by OBS reviewer Verushka

Precinct 13 begins with an introduction to Alex, the new coroner in Pierre. She entered the election for coroner on a bet, and cruised to a win because the former coroner was corrupt, among other things.

She expects an easy gig, and if she’s lucky a year without having to deal with any inhabitants in her morgue—yes Pierre is that small, and quiet. Which is exactly what Alex needed after fleeing Chicago and her past there, including a demon step-mother.

Yup, a...more
Kale
Alex Connor is trying to make a small town fresh start far from her big city sins. Unfortunately just when things start looking up for Alex, everything comes crashing down. Strange things are happening in the seemingly sleepy town as Alex delves deeper into a secret society of supernaturals and the case of the missing corpse, she's finding the crazy from her past might not be crazy at all.

Tate Hallaway flips the traditional thinking of magic and the supernatural in new and exciting ways, deliver...more
Michelle Leah Olson
Our Review, by LITERAL ADDICTION's Pack Alpha - Michelle L. Olson:

I’m from a small town in Wisconsin (very close to where Tate bases her other series) and my beau is from a small town in South Dakota and has family in Pierre. When I saw that the story was based in Pierre it was just one more reason for me to want to read it after being lucky enough to receive an ARC from the Publisher.

Upon completion of Precinct 13, my exact words were “An absolute breath of fresh air! As a paranormal junkie it...more
mlady_rebecca
Loved this book. If I wasn't falling asleep, I probably would have finished it in one sitting, and that is rare for me these days.

I'll start by getting two "marketing" nitpicks out of the way. The book is labeled paranormal romance. It's clearly urban fantasy. The main female character does have a boyfriend, but that relationship is certainly not the main focus of the book. (Although, it is important to the story.)

And, two, the blurb on the back is wrong. It says "her first day on the job [as a...more
Chris Bauer
"Precinct 13" is the first book I've read by Tate Hallaway but not the last. I was pleasantly surprised by the depth of this book. There were a few OMG out loud moments, which are increasingly rare with the explosion of urban fantasy works. Although, to be fair, since it takes place in Pierre, South Dakota, I'm not sure how "urban" it is. ; )

The characters were all unique and very flawed. Our protagonist is warm, witty and a little bit damaged and a pleasure to read. Her complicated relationship...more
Lyn Nicholas
A witty and exciting new paranormal adventure!

Alex Connor is a snarky sarcastic character who is able to see all sorts of magical creatures. She's a bit of a reluctant heroine at first but about halfway through the book, she really begins to come into her own. She starts to become the kick-ass woman she was meant to be and her transformation is something that you just have to see for yourself!

The entire book is hilarious and the main character will knock you off your feet. There are some killer...more
Kathy Martin
This first book in a new urban fantasy series introduces Alex Connor who is the new coroner for Hughes County in Pierre, South Dakota. Alex ran for the post on a bet. She is a new college graduate in forensic science who is a med school dropout. Things got in the way. Like a conviction that her stepmother was a demon, a boyfriend jailed for assaulting her stepmother, and Alex's own mental problems and hospitalization. After all, the things Alex has seen all her life, including trolls under bridg...more
Nissanmama
Precinct 13 came to me categorized as paranormal romance. While it does have some romantic elements, that is definitely not the focus of the book. There are no explicit love scenes and even those are few in number. I would say it reads more like urban fantasy. In my opinion, the story starts out a little too light for the story that follows. We are introduced to Alex Conner who has an undergraduate degree in forensic science and some medical school. She has not completed medical school for reaso...more
Ami
Missing corpse. Magical snake tattoo. Necromancer. Talking corpse. Half-Fairy. Vampire-Werewolf. Technomage. Witch and Familiar. Spell triggered by cursing. Golem. Crop circles. Fairy Ring. Zombies ... DRAGON!! (seriously, any urban fantasy with dragon blows my mind *lol*). These are some of the things found in this book -- and it is highly entertaining. One one part at least ...

It is very interesting to read about Alex Connor, who starts as a coroner (she wins the position after applyi...more
  • This Case Is Gonna Kill Me (Linnet Ellery #1)
  • Pooka in My Pantry (Monster Haven, #2)
  • Boyfriend from Hell (Saturn's Daughter, #1)
  • Sleight of Hand (Bite Back, #1)
  • In a Fix (In a Fix, #1)
  • Legacy (The Niteclif Evolutions, #1)
  • Geekomancy (Ree Reyes, #1)
  • Undead to the World (The Bloodhound Files, #6)
  • Shadow Sight (Ivy Granger, #1)
  • Hard Spell (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation #1)
  • Trance (MetaWars, #1)
  • Midnight Blue-Light Special (InCryptid, #2)
  • To Walk the Night (Kat Redding, #1)
  • The Sweet Scent of Blood (Spellcrackers.com, #1)
  • The Grendel Affair (SPI Files, #1)
  • Inhuman Resources (OSI, #3)
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard, #1)
  • Club Monstrosity (Monstrosity, #1)
A Scorpio with a Leo Rising, Tate Hallaway is an amateur astrologer and practicing Witch. Tate has been a fan of vampire fiction since she first read Poppy Z. Brite in high school. Her first short fiction acceptance was to a vampire ‘zine called Nocturnal Ecstasy Vampire Coven. Tate lives in Saint Paul, Minnesota with three black cats.

This author also writes science fiction under the name Lyda Mor...more
More about Tate Hallaway...
Almost to Die For (Vampire Princess of St. Paul, #1) Tall, Dark  &  Dead (Garnet Lacey, #1) Dead Sexy (Garnet Lacey, #2) Romancing the Dead (Garnet Lacey, #3) Almost Final Curtain (Vampire Princess of St. Paul, #2)