Start by marking “My New Orleans: The Cookbook” as Want to Read:
My New Orleans: The Cookbook

My New Orleans: The Cookbook

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  309 ratings  ·  22 reviews
"My New Orleans" will change the way you look at New Orleans cooking and the way you see World-famous chef John Besh. It's 16 chapters of culture, history, essay and insight, and pure goodness. Besh tells us the story of his New Orleans by the season and by the dish. Archival, four-color, location photography along with ingredient information make the Big Easy easy to tack ...more
Published May 1st 2009 by Andrews McMeel Publishing, LLC (first published April 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about My New Orleans, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My New Orleans

Ellen
I wish I had the money to buy this book, but I don't so borrowing a copy from the library will have to do.

If you want to cook classic Louisiana dishes, I would highly recommend you check out this book. Recipes contained within run the gamut from traditional to modern to reinvented to creative and surprising.

The book is set up differently from most cookbooks. Instead of sections for appetizers, poultry, meat, desserts, etc., Besh has sectioned his book by holiday/event, or seasonal ingredients,
Steven Peterson
The author begins by saying (Page 1): "This book is the story of a dreamy, starry-eyed boy brought up in the shadows of New Orleans. . . . I wrote 'My New Orleans' in the same spirit in which I launched my restaurants; it's a book dedicated to roots and rituals, to the way I cook." He discusses how he cooks on pages 9-11. Then a brief discussion of how he makes roux (different from how I do it)and other building block ingredients, such as chicken stock, creole spices, aioli, and so on.

But the h
Kelly
This is not just a cookbook, it's a joyful testament to the human spirit. This should be handed down for generations as a classic cookbook of American literature. Of course, I am one of the people who thinks it is high time cookbooks were entered into literature anthologies. (Fanny Farmer is long overdue a place in Norton as far as I'm concerned.) The narrative voice, which is both down home and sophisticated at the same time, draws me in, time and again. I enjoyed the contemporary take on New O ...more
Lisa
My brother-in-law and sister-in-law gave me John Besh's My New Orleans for Christmas. John Besh has many restaurants in the New Orleans area. I've been to Restaurant August, Domenica, and we never miss brunch at Luke on our weekend visits to New Orleans.

My husband read My New Orleans cover to cover first, and I almost stole it away from him before he finished. As he was reading the cookbook, he read many of the stories and recipes from the cookbook aloud to me and would have my mouth watering ev
Dona
I slowly browsed through this book rather than read it through. It was many books wrapped into one big book - somewhat autobiographical, historical (with great vintage photos), regional, and of course culinary. This would a good book to own and to read randomly, or closely and with purpose.

There were many recipes that I probably would never make, but there were just as many that charmed and intrigued me: Oyster Dressing Grandmere, Bourbon Pecan Pie, Mirliton and Shrimp Dressing, Ragout of Crawf
Skeetor
A great, big, beautiful book with lots of photographs and background information (both personal, historical, and about items included in the recipe). There are tons of wonderful seafood recipes and New Orleans classics (i.e., red beans and rice). Also, there are some new takes on dishes such as Jaegerschnitzel.
Kate
I was inspired to "read" this cookbook (this is one you actually can read) by his opening of Luke in SA. This book probably weighs 50 lbs and is full of beautiful pictures of food and New Orleans life. Lots of old photos and you really get a sense of the history of Norleans. I never really read or tried any of the recipies, I just looked at the pretty pictures and read the descriptions of New Orleans food culture (great section about duck hunting preceeding duck recipes, etc...). This is a great ...more
Heather
For me, this was more about Besh's stories than his recipes. Sure, the food sounded great, but it enriched his tales rather than being the main course. He has an engaging voice, and talks freely of his childhood, something so interesting to me because it's miles away from what I experienced.
Mrs.
Gorgeous book that reads like a biography. The recipes sometimes call for many ingredients, but are doable. The focus is on New Orleans cooking and ingredients. What jumps out is the love Besh has for New Orleans and its people.
Karen
A must have, not just a cookbook, but a history lesson and an autobiographical look into his belief in the food and culture of New Orleans. Foodies rejoice!
Penny
Beautiful book!!!!
Greta Fisher
A very well organized cook book with exellent recipes. So far the family favorite is Crawfish Pie!
Jo
A stunningly beautiful cookbook that reads like a novel. John was born and raised in southern Louisiana and still lives there with his family. His recipes seem easy to follow and range from the very simple (Chilled tomato soup with tapanade) to more complex (oyster and artichoke soup). The pictures are lush and the stories and genuine. Made me want to jump on a plane and eat my way through Louisiana.
Deb
Stellar job by Chef John Besh! Have cooked seven recipes so far from this book and all have been fabulous. It is a gorgeous book and a fitting tribute to a unique city. Read the full review here on my blog.

Roger Sherman
An important addition to every cooks collection. John shows us his New Orleans. It's organized by season and includes wonderful personal stories, archival photographs. Produced by the stellar Dorothy Kalins.
Lucy
Apr 25, 2010 Lucy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Louisianians
Supersized, bulky but fun book with adapted recipes & old favorites. Uses local ingredients like scavanged wild chanterelle, hunters' game. Good photos. I have not tried any of his recipes yet.
Catherine Woodman
Excellent--lots of the recipes that you can have at August and Luke--the shrimp and grits are devine! As is the Pork Rillette.
Constance
This is an amazing guide through the wonders of Cajun food. His true passion for New Orleans comes through so clearly.
Danette
LOVE. Giant, lush & lovely - cooking good food from the heart. Makes me homesick, I wanna eat the book.
Carla
Lovely photos, well written ,from the heart. We share a love for trashy Japanese Iron Chef shows.
Sarah Eiseman
Checking out some fun recipes and remembering good times had in New Orleans.
Mark
Mark added it
Dec 26, 2014
Kimberley McGath
Kimberley McGath marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Amy Williams
Amy Williams marked it as to-read
Kristopher Ludwig
Kristopher Ludwig marked it as to-read
NIck Peterson
NIck Peterson marked it as to-read
Shannon Murray
Shannon Murray marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
  • Real Cajun: Rustic Home Cooking from Donald Link's Louisiana
  • Bon Appetit, Y'all: Recipes and Stories from Three Generations of Southern Cooking
  • Heart of the Artichoke: and Other Kitchen Journeys
  • The Lee Bros. Southern Cookbook: Stories and Recipes for Southerners and Would-Be Southerners
  • Cooking
  • Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, with Recipes
  • Culinaria: Germany
  • The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook
  • The Country Cooking of Ireland
John Besh is the acclaimed chef committed to "bringing back" New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. Besh grew up in Southern Louisiana and graduated from The Culinary Institute of America. Food & Wine named him one of the Top 10 Best New Chefs in America in 1999. His passion for food and New Orleans is always simmering.

Besh owns and operates New Orleans restaurants: August, his downtown flagship
More about John Besh...
My Family Table: A Passionate Plea for Home Cooking Cooking from the Heart: My Favorite Lessons Learned Along the Way My New Orleans My Family Table Cooking from the Heart