Start by marking “The Past Came Hunting” as Want to Read:
The Past Came Hunting

The Past Came Hunting

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  374 ratings  ·  74 reviews
Fifteen years ago a young Colorado Springs police officer arrested a teen runaway accused of aiding a convenience store robbery and attempted murder. She was innocent, but still served prison time briefly. Her testimony sent the real thief to jail for much longer. Now she’s a young widow raising a son, and the man she put in prison is free and seeking revenge. She moves to ...more
Published September 19th 2011 by Bell Bridge Books (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Past Came Hunting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Past Came Hunting

Cindy ~ SnS Reviews
Melanie is a 17 year old run away who first makes the mistake of hitching a ride with a trucker who tries to rape her so she jumps out of the moving truck and then she gets picked up by Drake a college boy who she does drugs with but then finds out he is a sociopath when he robs a convenience store and is going to kill the clerk. She was arrested, tried as an adult and given a lighter sentence for testifying against Drake but she still has to do prison time. Then its 15 years later, Melanie is a ...more
Polly
This book is what romantic suspense should be and usually isn't. The plot and the conflict are believable, the characters stay in character, and the villain is perfectly twisted. It's a non-stop roller coaster that alternates between internal and external factors, between the romance and the suspense. I don't retell a story in a review. You can read the synopsis. All I can say is Ms. Bell has written a masterpiece of the genre, and I highly recommend it.
Steffi
Original review: www.sweptawaybyromance.blogspot.com

When Mel was still really young, she didn’t make the best decisions. One of those was unconsciously being involved in a robbery. Mel was innocent but still involved in the crime, so she was arrested and served her time. Now, she is a widow with a teenage son and she doesn’t want him to know about her past. Unfortunately, the cop that arrested her years ago is her new neighbor. Mel wants to protect her secrets and keep her son from finding out a
Kerry  sullivan
This is the summary off the back of the book.

She moves to a home in a new neighborhood—then learns that her next-door neighbor is the by
Linda Lovely
Page-Turning Suspense, Realistic Conflict

Donnell Ann Bell’s THE PAST CAME HUNTING ranks as one of the best romantic suspense novels I’ve read in recent years. The fact that it’s her debut novel makes that feat all the more impressive. What makes it so good? Both heroine and hero struggle with very realistic competing claims on their affection and sense of duty. Plus the villain is everyone’s nightmare—smart, calculating, handsome, evil, and intent on revenge for the 15 years he’s spent in prison
Linda
I know I can be hard to please sometimes especially if I spend hard earned money on a book that should never have been published. And I've read enough books to know there are plenty of stories out there that fit into this category. That said, I really enjoyed Ms. Bell's debut novel. Knocking off a half star for some editing issues, she did a fine job.

THE PAST CAME HUNTING is about two people with a history. Fifteen years ago Melanie Daniels was a much younger and naive girl with a chip on her s
Christi Snow
I just finished this absolutely amazing book. OMG, it was so good!! I will have the full review up soon....just because you all need to read this one too.
My Review:

From the moment I started this book, until I finished it, it was almost painful to set this book down. It was so good (and it was probably not a very good idea for me to start it the morning of my husband's birthday, since I kept having to sneak "just one more chapter"...LOL.)

Everything about the writing and the story of this book com
Lisa Potocar
Romantic thriller at its best! The story starts with a bang and holds you in a trance until the end. The characters—the good, bad, and ugly—are all well rounded with their own unique voices. The scenes were so well crafted, I felt as though I stood on the periphery watching it all unfold. Although romance is the central theme, there’s plenty of thrill to keep the plot moving along at a fast pace. I too found it difficult to believe that this was Ms. Bell’s debut novel. She’s a very talented writ ...more
Jerrie Alexander
My kind of story. Well writen, fast paced full of danger and a heart touching relationship. Ms. Bell built mountains for her hero and herione to overcome, lead the to the top and made them start all over again.

I don't do spoilers but will bet money Ms. Bell has a wonderful relationship with her children. It comes across nicely in her story.

Kim Sanders
Saw it on Amazon and after reading a small sample, I bought it. Now, all I need is the spare time to read it.

Finished reading "The Past Came Hunting" today and loved it. Wonderful debut novel. The suspense and plot twists kept me reading until the early morning hours. I highly recommend it to all romantic suspense readers.
Cynthia D'Alba
Very interesting hero and heroine. He's a cop. She's an ex-con. Twist? He was the cop who arrested her at age 17.

I really liked this book. Good writing. Good storytelling. I liked how the hero and heroine didn't fall into immediate love or lust and had to work very hard to overcome suspicion and mistrust.

Recommend
Tonja
Loved this book!! A thriller and mystery all at the same time and full of wonderfully developed characters. I can't wait to read her next novel.
Susan Boyer
Original premise, engaging characters, fast-paced plot. This one kept me up late. Loved it!
Silver James
The Past Came Hunting is Donnell Ann Bell's debut novel and is set in one of my favorite places--Colorado Springs. This romantic suspense sneaks up on a reader. Ms. Bell's writing style is easy and smooth, lulling the reader in with a sense of place and...normalcy. And then you realize it's 2 a.m. and you have work the next morning. From the back of the book:

Julie Lence
The Past Came Hunting is Donnell Ann Bell's first published work, and it is a wonderful mix of romance, suspense, family relationships and good vs. evil. Set in Colorado Springs, Ms. Bell's knowledge of the interior workings of a local police department really shine in her hero, Joe Crandall. Joe is a police lieutenant climbing the ladder for a promotion. He is dedicated to his job and often feels guilty about not spending enough time with his teenage son. Enter Melanie and her teenage son, Joe' ...more
LAWonder10
'The Past Came Hunting' is a fast paced suspense/romance novel. In this captivating story, a young woman making a few bad choices is wrongly accused and ended up in prison. Will this continue to haunt her seventeen years later? She now has more than herself to worry about. Should she keep her dark secret or trust love and family ties?

This never allows the reader a moment of restless boredom. It would be great for an older teen except for profanity and sexually descriptive situations. However, a
MB
Absolutely a delightful read. Melanie made some bad decisions in her teens (didn't we all?), but she also paid her dues. But fate throws her back in the path of the man who arrested her. And that's not all fate throws at her.

What I liked about this book: the escalating drama felt real. When something happened, you didn't think, "Yeah, right." The characters felt real, and the relationships between Joe and his son, and Melanie and her son, all rang true for me.

This may mark me as a prude, but I
Cheesecake
Really enjoyed this book as an audio book.
Liked the way the hero and heroine weren't joined at the hip and it took time for their feelings to grow. I had no problem with coincidences. I thought that was part of the story.The kids were believable and helpful in the story. I totally was prepared to give it the whole 5 star except for the following.
Spoiler: (view spoiler)
Erica
Coincidences, coincidences, coincidences. This story is built on coincidences. One, after another, after another. The main characters are shallow and superficial, not to mention stubborn, self-conscious, and absolutely frustrating. The dialogue is in some parts completely unbelievable (that is definitely not how gang members or ex-cons talk!), and in others totally sappy. You get about 50 chapters of build-up for a climax that ends before it even begins. The writing is sometimes awkward, and ove ...more
Christina
Suspenseful and Solid. . .A real page-turner! I liked the thought of such a crazy coincidence happening, and then the characters working through their disbelief and past conflict. The author's ability to get into the "heads" of two teenage boys as characters in the book was also very well-done. I wanted there to be a little more at the moment when Melanie and Joe meet up after being separated, but it was more realistic as it was written. The bad guys were bad, and the cop was portrayed in a good ...more
Jessica Hale
I haven't read many romance, suspense books that have gripped me like this one did but i didn't want to put the book down, it was very intriguing to see the difference in Mel at the start of the book and then how she is once we meet her again once she is older, then there is the changing relationship between Joe and Mel we see through the book, how we see things from different characters in the book either briefly or longer to give us insight into there life or thoughts. A well written book that ...more
Mersadies
Feb 16, 2012 Mersadies rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: favorites
I liked this book.The characters were really well developed, and the story was romantic and suspenseful with a little humor mixed in. I loved the family dynamics in this story, it showed how a single mom, with a full time mom takes care of her kid and then how a single dad with a full time job as a cop struggles to be there for his son and do the job he loves. I loved the fact that I felt like I really knew the characters and their values. This book kept me reading from page one, I was never bor ...more
Lena Diaz
Donnell Ann Bell's debut is such a fun read. Her characters are well-fleshed out and leap off the page. The suspense has excellent pacing and the love story is satisfying. LOVE her hero, Joe. The conflict keeps you turning the page to see what happens next. The best part of this story is that the author surprises you all throughout the book. Every time you expect a cliche, she has the characters do something just a little bit different than you expected. I look forward to her future books. Great ...more
Margi
Donnell Ann Bell’s debut novel, The Past Came Hunting, is a page-turner involving a woman who tries to protect her son and herself from the consequences of former experiences she’d rather see buried forever. Set in Colorado Springs, my former home, I enjoyed the visit back, provided by Ms. Bell’s vivid writing. An excellent choice for fans of both mystery and romance. The Past Came Hunting published by Bell Bridge Books ISBN 978-1-61194-048-0
Lizbeth Selvig
I really enjoyed this debut romantic suspense by Donnell Bell - it's a perfect mix of suspense and not-too-saccharin romance. The characters are believable (the "bad guy" is want-to-smack-him nasty) and the suspense is not in your face until the perfect spot for it in the story. If you want to root for a really worthy heroine and fall in love with a great Cop Hero -- I highly recommend this book. A great bedtime or back deck read!
Jane Grayson
Thanks, Ms. Bell, for my sleepless night last night turning the pages of your debut novel. I absolutely loved this book--loved the chemistry between Joe and Melanie--loved the suspense when a blast from the past comes looking for Melanie to settle a score. I tried reading slower so the book wouldn't end, but it didn't work. Sigh! For sure, I will be anxiously awaiting this author's next book.
Diana Hockley
This novel was a pleasure to read because I really cared about the characters and what happened to them. The main villain is believable and the hero comes across as a normal, everyday cop. The heroine, a young woman who has paid for her past, is almost too nice but not enough to spoil anything for me!

An excellent read, worth the cost and I recommend it!
Linda
Love is far more powerful than evil, a fact that is beautifully illustrated in Donnell Ann Bell's stunningly suspenseful debut novel. Her characters bloom to life on every page, and the writing is crisp and sharp. By the end I was flipping the pages like a crazy person. This book is a winner in all respects. I look forward to reading many more of her mysteries.
J.B. Lynn
While I liked the concept of this novel, I didn't enjoy the book itself nearly as much. The pacing was too slow for my taste (the addition of the son's POV didn't add anything to the story and really slowed it down) and a "reveal" 3/4 of the way thru had me turning my Kindle off (which is the equivalent of throwing a book across the room).
Eve Gaddy
Great book! I couldn't put it down. Action, suspense, romance, it has them all. I stayed up half the night to finish it. One of the best first books I've read. In fact, I couldn't believe it was a first book. Looking forward to Ms. Bell's other books!
  • Desperate Housedogs (Pampered Pets Mystery #1)
  • Renegade (Devoncroix Dynasty, #3)
  • Sophie and the Rising Sun
  • The Wedding Gift
  • Coffee at Little Angels
  • As the Crow Dies
  • Safe at Home: A Novel
  • Designed to Death (Faith Hunter Scrap This Mystery, #2)
  • Alaskan Hearts
  • Horses of the Sun (Outback Riders, #1)
  • Murder Deja Vu
  • That Touch of Ink (Mad for Mod Mystery #2)
  • Midnight Fear (Chasing Evil Trilogy, #2)
  • Senseless (Senseless, #1)
  • Hijack in Abstract (A Cherry Tucker Mystery, #3)
  • Black Widow
  • Lot's Return to Sodom (A Liv Bergen Mystery #2)
  • River of Eden

I grew up in the 4-Corners area, in the city of Farmington, New Mexico. I love New Mexico, and am influenced by its rich Hispanic and Indian culture, and will bring some of this knowledge to future work. For now, the book I'm excited to talk about today takes place in my current state of Colorado.

A country song influenced my writing THE PAST CAME HUNTING. Tricia Yearwood and Don Henley's Walk Away
More about Donnell Ann Bell...
Deadly Recall Betrayed Buried Agendas