Romeo and Juliet: The War

Romeo and Juliet: The War

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  108 ratings  ·  31 reviews
This is the story of... Two groups of superhuman soldiers who turn the Empire of Verona into the most powerful territory on earth. The MONTAGUES, powerful cyborgs made of artifi cial DNA, and the CAPULETS, genetically enhanced humans known for their speed and agility, work in tandem to destroy all threats to the city. With no one left to fi ght, the Montagues and Capulets...more
Published January 25th 2012 by 1821 Comics (first published November 30th 2011)

Kaylie Austen
This is a simple re-telling of the famous Romeo & Juliet. As such, it parallels the play closely and is predictable with a futuristic twist. Dr. Montague created cyborgs to aide the military in calming threats in the Verona Empire. Dr. Capulet created super humans. Together, they rid the empire of all threats and found themselves without an enemy. So, they turned against each other and left destruction in their wake.
Fast-forward. Romeo is a Montague who falls in love with Juliet, a Capulet,...more
Mike Jensen
I don’t mind in principle that the adaptors set the R&J story is a futuristic world of warriors with augmented bodies and advanced weaponry. I’m interested in what is kept from Shakespeare, what is not used, and what is transformed with the hope that all of these make sense in the retelling. By this measure the book is not bad, though I cannot describe the changes without spoiling the story. Not bad does not mean good, however. A couple the changes are interesting, but nothing seems great, e...more
Lady Entropy
I never really liked Romeo and Juliet, mostly because the main characters irritated the hell out of me (especially Romeo) -- and even remakes usually left me cold -- maybe because to me this was a tale on the folly of youth and love, and it felt there was always some "grumpy ol' man" bitterness behind it. I did like the Romeo and Juliet modern movie remake, but more out of the smartness of the reimaginning of the setting than the story itself.

However, from the 2 stars I'd normally give something...more
Amy
This is simply the story of Romeo and Juliet with a sci-fi setting, which is why I picked it up at the library. Every page is visually stunning and I hoped that since it only said it was based on the play that they might play with the story more.

I was thoroughly disappointed.

Dr Montague stumbled upon artificial DNA while trying to discover a way to walk again. This DNA allowed him to create robotic organs that worked better which made them far superior soldiers. Dr Capulet didn't appreciate how...more
Peyton
By far the best adaptation of Romeo and Juliet that I have ever seen. Reading this book felt like watching a 3D movie: the action practically explodes in your face. This scifi world and its inhabitants are beautifully designed, and the story flows from panel to panel with impressive grace. This is a must-read for any Shakespeare fan, while also serving as an accessible entrance to the Bard for timid readers.
Tif
The story is a little rushed, but the art is really beautiful and the sci-fi world is a fitting setting.
Rachel Arroyos
Retelling of the classic Romeo and Juliet but in the future and with robot parts, need I say more?

I loved the story and it was an interesting take on the long told tale. The artwork was beautiful and I found I myself, at moments, caught up with appreciating the art more than the actual plot. Not to say that the plot wasn't imaginative or unique but it was still, at its core, a Romeo and Juliet story which I really can't fully appreciate anymore as I've had remakes and the play stuffed down my th...more
Barrett
y'know, i was mentally writing this review before i even made it home with this book.

so, imagine you're in your local library. there's a few graphic novels on display by the stacks, and front and center, you see this one: Romeo and Juliet: The War. it's a beautiful hardbound coffee-table worthy book, foil embossing and all. you've got the titular characters embracing in the foreground, their faces softly lit from the laser firefights going on just behind them. okay, so far so good. Stan Lee's n...more
Jay
Remaking a story into something new -- even just changing the time period -- usually makes me very happy. I find it interesting to see how it'll play out in a different way. So this book looked like a winner. Plus the artwork was really really good.

On the downside: (1) I'm just not a fan of fight scenes in graphical novels, no matter how good they are. I really like words. (2) I was very disappointed with one of the major changes made in this version. I mean, come on. If you're going to make a c...more
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
A fantastic re-telling of a tragic, legendary love story with a futuristic twist.

Battles between Montague cyborgs and genetically-enhanced Capulets, along with the developing romance between two young star-crossed lovers, makes this an exciting, page-turning read despite knowing the outcome in advance.

And now that it's over, I can enjoy the beautiful visual display it provides while sitting on my top shelf.

The artwork is stunning and even more enjoyable in its large coffee-table size as oppose...more
M
Stan Lee can work magic - but trying to tweak the work of William Shakespeare may be too much. Author Max Work teams with the Marvel master in an attempt to explore the Capulet/Montague feud in science fiction terms. The Montagues are artificial soldiers, bred with cybernetics to help win a brutal war. Nearing the end of the conflict, the genetically-enhanced Capulets are introduced to seal the victory. Resentful of each other, the 'bloodlines' are effectively separated to opposite ends of the c...more
Ana
Visually stunning, this is a gorgeous comic, with an interesting conflit and resolutions (no actual surprise, considering its "Romeu and Juliet, but it was still well executed).
This work's only flaw was the insta-romance which did not convince me AT ALL. Romeu and Juliet just fell into each others arms for NO reason at all.
Aside from that, this is a comic that deserves to be seen and appreciated in all other things (except romance, and that seems criminal considering it's "Romeu and Juliet", bu...more
Tyler
For a brief overview of this book it is at its core the Romeo and Juliet story but modernize it and then push it forward another 500 years into the future. The two major factions (Capulet's and Montague's) are war assets derived from the pursuit of the perfect super soldier but they branch off two completely different ways but both are highly improved humans. I would recommend this book to anyone who would rather read a graphic novel and futuristic version of the classic book written but Shakesp...more
Karen
I like this adaptation although the tone bore more than a passing resemblence to the Leonardo DiCaprio/ Clare Danes movie. The artwork is fantastic and certainly the book is worth the price for the art alone. I liked the concept of mutated and cloned family groups and there are some plot lines that differ from the original and this is not a bad thing. Be warned though, this is a heavy book. Even the paper version cannot be comfortably read without a supporting surface.
Matimate
One old story got a new coat and it fits like glove. Verona is not town but an empire, which used two powerful faction cyborg Montagues and genetically enhanced humans Capulets to fight for its glory. However the enemy was defeated and those soldier were left behind to devour themselves in neverending fights until two starcrossed lovers met. The artwork made the trick and butchered classical story got perfect background.
Salimbol
[3 and 1/2 stars]
The Bard's tale gets a light SF makeover, with the Montagues and the Capulets being two clans of genetically-engineered soldiers who turn to fighting each other after a long war against the empire of Verona's external enemies. There's an overabundance of fight scenes at the expense of the love story/tragedy, but there are some nice touches of humour, and the CG illustrations are fairly stunning.
Sofia Galvez
why do i expect a different ending just cause its an alternate romeo & juliet story? *sigh. i guess i will never give up hope. lol. anyways , i did enjoy the graphic novel but i felt the love story was rushed and some of the page drawings were too dark. i could barely see. i know its night time but i still wanna see. overall, i liked it.
Brian DiMattia
A solid concept for a story, turning the classic Montague and Capulet fued into a war between cyborgs and bio-engineers. The art is vivid, but occasionally a bit muddled, and the script is functional but uninspired. It's an interesting exercise, but nothing earth shattering.
Allison Chao
The artwork is amazing with futuristic, colorful scenes. I love science fiction, so that aspect of the adaptation was interesting. It stayed true to the classic story but also had little differences that complimented the graphic novel.
Nicole Spezzaferri
I have to admit it was a good book! Very creative plot about the feud of Montagues and Capulets! Also love the illustration as well! If you love comics and like Shakespeare, then I highly recommend it!
Jenny
Amazing retelling of Romeo and Juliet! I have loved this story since I read it at 12 years old, I have never seen a more imaginative and exciting retelling! I am hoping for a movie asap!
Roseann
Beautifully illustrated and wonderfully reworking of this timeless tale told in an alternate future where the Monagues and Capulets are two warring factions of Android-type humans.
Nathaniel
The updated storyline was pretty good and the artwork was incredible. A very good adaptation, just the nerd in me wishes for more of the traditional dialogue.
Brooke
A sci-fi version of Romeo and Juliet told in a graphic novel format? There wasn't anything to not love about this. And the artwork was amazing.
A really solid and intriguing adaptation of Romeo and Juliet, both in terms of characterization and world building and the art itself.
Cecily
Such a cool concept (Montagues and Capulets as cyborgs and super humans!) but so disappointingly executed.
Christie Brown
Having taught Romeo and Juliet for a number of years, I found this a fun twist on the story.
Steve Dempsey
Beautiful art and concepts which did this timeless story justice
Kathryn Rose
Oh my gosh, the art was BEAUTIFUL.
Colleen
It really reflects on the classic story
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »