Awaiting a Savior: The Gospel, the New Creation and the End of Poverty

Awaiting a Savior: The Gospel, the New Creation and the End of Poverty

4.43 of 5 stars 4.43  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  15 reviews
What causes poverty? What am I supposed to do about it?

These questions are driving a new generation of Christians to take action on behalf of the poor through social and political action, global partnerships, and financial generosity, as they desire to become the generation that ends poverty forever. Yet in pursuit of this goal, they risk losing sight of a fundamental real...more
Published October 1st 2011 by Cruciform Press

To ask other readers questions about Awaiting a Savior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awaiting a Savior

Mike Hyatt
Poverty is a topic that receives a lot of discussion these days. People are talking about the poor in their own cities as well as the poor in parts of the world that have been affected by wars and other disasters. What do we do about the problem of poverty? More specifically, how should Christians think about and address this problem? “Awaiting a Savior: The Gospel, the New Creation and the End of Poverty” by Aaron Armstrong seeks to get to the heart of the issue surrounding poverty as well as p...more
Daniel Henderson
In the October 2011 release from Cruciform Press Aaron Armstrong delivers a quick and concise biblical theology of poverty. A quote taken from the back cover summarizes the main message of the book;
Christians are called to serve the poor…generously, joyfully, by grace, to the Glory of God. But elimination poverty is a misguided and dangerous goal. Poverty is rooted in the fall of man and there is only one savoir.
The books starts by unpacking for us the root cause of poverty. We are not dealing w...more
Jeanie
Because poverty is a spiritual issue, you see in the pages the heart of God. In today's world, we are big on social justice and ending the injustice of poverty, slavery, clean water, etc., however, just as Jesus as said, you will always have the poor with you, maybe that was the first clue of how we as God's people we need to look at these social injustices. Aaron does that quite well. The focus being on our problem, sin, and the solution Jesus and what the cross signifies. A great reminder that...more
Drew
A helpful, easy-to-read, introductory primer on the spiritual nature of poverty and the need for a Savior to alleviate it. This book would pair very well with When Helping Hurts: How to Alleviate Poverty Without Hurting the Poor . . . and Yourself by providing a biblical theological framework within which to better understand poverty and how to best alleviate it.
KC McCauley
This short book provides a biblical, helpful perspective on poverty. Instead of making you fee like you can't do anything to help, or trying to persuade you that you can solve global poverty by yourself, this book points you to seeing Jesus' return as the ultimate solution while providing practical ways to help in the time we have now. Great read!
Casey Lute
Awaiting a Savior is a good book which provides a biblical framework for working through the issue of poverty and how the Christian is to view it. See my complete review here: http://caseylute.com/uncategorized/bo...
Becky Pliego
Aaron Armstrong does a great job in dealing with the difficult issue of poverty and our response to it.

My review is on my blog:

Kara
An excellent, clearly laid-out, gospel-centered theology of social justice. A short, but worthy read.
Mathew
If you recall I reviewed When Helping Hurts this last December and was impressed with the practicality provided by it. Awaiting a Savior in contrast would be a theological foundation for dealing with poverty which “is fundamentally a spiritual issue” (p. 20). Aaron connects poverty with the gospel story. He looks at the fall (p. 18 “the fall has made poverty the default setting” emphasis original; p. 22), redemption (p. 45), and consummation (pp. 11, 97) as they relate to poverty. Says Aaron, “T...more
Adam
I wasn't all to sure I would like this book at first, as it seemed a negative take on poverty and the potential alleviation (given Jesus' words that we will always have the poor with us). That said, Armstrong does an excellent job of explaining why that will remain true, what it says about our hearts, what can realistically be done, and the hope for the future. His key phrase, for Christians, I think is this: Covenant faithfulness, requires ethical faithfulness.
Mark A Powell
Poverty is the result of sin, argues Armstrong. Thus, the only way to truly end poverty is to truly end sin, which Christ will do at the end of the age. In the interim, he offers some practical insight into what the Christian response to poverty should be. If you haven’t read some of the recent, more thorough works on poverty, this is a great primer to the issue. Otherwise, it will likely retread familiar ground.
Aaron
Jan 18, 2012 Aaron added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Since I wrote the book, I'm not allowed to review it (I'm a bit bias). But if you're reading the book, I hope you find it helpful—and be sure to check out some of the endorsements and reviews at CruciformPress.com.
Chris Giovagnoni
The basis of the book is that covenant faithfulness leads to ethical faithfulness.
Marguerite Harrell
Great book to read. I have that in e-book format.
Phoenix Carvelli
Apr 07, 2012 Phoenix Carvelli marked it as to-read
Review copy won on Goodreads.com on 4-7-12.
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Kim Odens
Kim Odens marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Kimberly
Kimberly marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2014
Joanna
Joanna added it
May 24, 2014
Jonathan Franzone
Jonathan Franzone marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Jonathan Tomes
Jonathan Tomes marked it as to-read
May 09, 2014
Bart
Bart marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Joel
Joel marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2014
Joey Cochran
Joey Cochran marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2014
John Conable
John Conable marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Contend: Defending the Faith in a Fallen World Everyday Theology: Understanding the Ideas We Assume Are True