Start by marking “Awaiting a Savior: The Gospel, the New Creation and the End of Poverty” as Want to Read:
Awaiting a Savior: The Gospel, the New Creation and the End of Poverty

Awaiting a Savior: The Gospel, the New Creation and the End of Poverty

What causes poverty? What am I supposed to do about it?

These questions are driving a new generation of Christians to take action on behalf of the poor through social and political action, global partnerships, and financial generosity, as they desire to become the generation that ends poverty forever. Yet in pursuit of this goal, they risk losing sight of a fundamental real
Published October 1st 2011 by Cruciform Press

To ask other readers questions about Awaiting a Savior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Awaiting a Savior

Daniel Henderson
Jan 22, 2012 Daniel Henderson rated it it was amazing
In the October 2011 release from Cruciform Press Aaron Armstrong delivers a quick and concise biblical theology of poverty. A quote taken from the back cover summarizes the main message of the book;
Christians are called to serve the poor…generously, joyfully, by grace, to the Glory of God. But elimination poverty is a misguided and dangerous goal. Poverty is rooted in the fall of man and there is only one savoir.
The books starts by unpacking for us the root cause of poverty. We are not dealing w
Jeanie
Oct 12, 2011 Jeanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: cruciform-read
Because poverty is a spiritual issue, you see in the pages the heart of God. In today's world, we are big on social justice and ending the injustice of poverty, slavery, clean water, etc., however, just as Jesus as said, you will always have the poor with you, maybe that was the first clue of how we as God's people we need to look at these social injustices. Aaron does that quite well. The focus being on our problem, sin, and the solution Jesus and what the cross signifies. A great reminder that ...more
Drew
Jun 09, 2012 Drew rated it really liked it
A helpful, easy-to-read, introductory primer on the spiritual nature of poverty and the need for a Savior to alleviate it. This book would pair very well with When Helping Hurts: How to Alleviate Poverty Without Hurting the Poor . . . and Yourself by providing a biblical theological framework within which to better understand poverty and how to best alleviate it.
KC McCauley
This short book provides a biblical, helpful perspective on poverty. Instead of making you fee like you can't do anything to help, or trying to persuade you that you can solve global poverty by yourself, this book points you to seeing Jesus' return as the ultimate solution while providing practical ways to help in the time we have now. Great read!
Casey Lute
Awaiting a Savior is a good book which provides a biblical framework for working through the issue of poverty and how the Christian is to view it. See my complete review here: http://caseylute.com/uncategorized/bo...
Becky Pliego
Apr 01, 2012 Becky Pliego rated it really liked it
Aaron Armstrong does a great job in dealing with the difficult issue of poverty and our response to it.

My review is on my blog:

Kara
Dec 05, 2011 Kara rated it it was amazing
An excellent, clearly laid-out, gospel-centered theology of social justice. A short, but worthy read.
Mathew
Feb 20, 2013 Mathew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
If you recall I reviewed When Helping Hurts this last December and was impressed with the practicality provided by it. Awaiting a Savior in contrast would be a theological foundation for dealing with poverty which “is fundamentally a spiritual issue” (p. 20). Aaron connects poverty with the gospel story. He looks at the fall (p. 18 “the fall has made poverty the default setting” emphasis original; p. 22), redemption (p. 45), and consummation (pp. 11, 97) as they relate to poverty. Says Aaron, “T ...more
Alan Alexandrino
Sep 01, 2015 Alan Alexandrino rated it it was amazing
Excelente livro! Apresenta uma posição bastante equilibrada a respeito da pobreza. De um lado, o autor bate nas reivindicações daqueles que apregoam a redistribuição de renda como a solução para o pobreza. Do outro, ele reprova a falta de compaixão dos adeptos do outro espectro político que, muitas vezes, nada fazem além de dizer que a pobreza é culpa dos pobres.

De acordo com o autor, a raiz e a fonte da pobreza é o pecado, "a pobreza por trás da pobreza". Assim, nenhuma ação política solucionar
Adam
Jul 16, 2013 Adam rated it really liked it
I wasn't all to sure I would like this book at first, as it seemed a negative take on poverty and the potential alleviation (given Jesus' words that we will always have the poor with us). That said, Armstrong does an excellent job of explaining why that will remain true, what it says about our hearts, what can realistically be done, and the hope for the future. His key phrase, for Christians, I think is this: Covenant faithfulness, requires ethical faithfulness.
Mark A Powell
Dec 30, 2013 Mark A Powell rated it liked it
Poverty is the result of sin, argues Armstrong. Thus, the only way to truly end poverty is to truly end sin, which Christ will do at the end of the age. In the interim, he offers some practical insight into what the Christian response to poverty should be. If you haven’t read some of the recent, more thorough works on poverty, this is a great primer to the issue. Otherwise, it will likely retread familiar ground.
Adam Joseph
Timely & Theological

Aaron Armstrong does a wonderful job describing succinctly how our theology must inform our action with regard to poverty. He lays a biblical foundation and quickly builds a practical framework upon it. The refrain heard throughout the book is "covenant faithfulness means ethical faithfulness." A very timely message for today's views on poverty.
Aaron
Jan 18, 2012 Aaron added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Since I wrote the book, I'm not allowed to review it (I'm a bit bias). But if you're reading the book, I hope you find it helpful—and be sure to check out some of the endorsements and reviews at CruciformPress.com.
Sara Prior
Sara Prior rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2012
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2016
Phoenix Carvelli
Apr 07, 2012 Phoenix Carvelli marked it as to-read
Review copy won on Goodreads.com on 4-7-12.
Chris Giovagnoni
Jan 14, 2012 Chris Giovagnoni rated it liked it
The basis of the book is that covenant faithfulness leads to ethical faithfulness.
Marguerite Harrell
Nov 29, 2012 Marguerite Harrell rated it it was amazing
Great book to read. I have that in e-book format.
Sara Steffenhagen
Sara Steffenhagen rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Amy
Amy rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Jeremy Barker
Jeremy Barker rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2012
Claire
Claire rated it did not like it
Apr 22, 2015
Victor Chininin
Victor Chininin rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2016
Adam Joseph
Adam Joseph rated it it was amazing
Jun 19, 2016
Dave Jenkins
Dave Jenkins rated it it was amazing
Mar 06, 2012
Mark
Mark rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2013
Márcio Sobrinho
Márcio Sobrinho rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2015
Jeremy Piehler
Jeremy Piehler rated it it was ok
Dec 08, 2014
Kim Adkins
Kim Adkins rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2015